Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen 10  (Read 17984 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Hell's Kitchen 10
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
On Tuesday, May 29, Chef Ramsay returns for an all-new season of HELL'S KITCHEN (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), followed by the Season Three debut of MASTERCHEF (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). In Season 10 of HELL'S KITCHEN, aspiring restaurateurs once again will be put through an intense culinary academy to prove they possess the right combination of ingredients to win the life-changing grand prize. Beginning Monday, June 4 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), the hit cooking series expands to twice per week with all-new episodes Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Tuesdays (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

Following HELL'S KITCHEN on Tuesdays is MASTERCHEF (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). The series will feature Ramsay, restaurateur Joe Bastianich and chef Graham Elliot, as they challenge a new batch of amateur cooks by testing their palates, knowledge and determination to follow their dreams of making a mark in the culinary world.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Hell's Kitchen 10
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
Yay! Two of my favorite shows returning!!  :wohoo:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »
I love Gordon Ramsay! :hearts: Haven't watched Hell's Kitchen in a while, though! :(
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
FOX has announced that the start date for Hell's Kitchen 10 and MasterChef 3 has been pushed back on week to June 4/5.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
The week after next is the start of Hell's Kitchen 10. Here are the competitors:

Barbie Marshall
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Signature Dish: Cod and Mahogany Clam Chowder   

Briana Swanson
Hometown: New York, NY
Signature Dish: Duck with Sugar Spice Sauce   

Christina Wilson
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Signature Dish: Molasses Pork Chop with Sweet Mashed Cider Kale

Dana Cohen
Hometown: River Vale, NJ
Signature Dish: Pan-Seared Scallops   

Danielle Rimmer
Hometown: Bayonne, NJ
Signature Dish: Bucatini Shrimp Arrabbiata   

Kimmie Willis
Hometown: Memphis, TN
Signature Dish: Fisherman’s Trio   

Robyn Almodovar
Hometown: Hollywood, FL
Signature Dish: Seared Striped Bass   

Roshni Gurnani
Hometown: Boston, MA
Signature Dish: Rack of Lamb   

Tiffany Johnson
Hometown: Warren, VT
Signature Dish: Lamb Schnitzel with Rosemary-Maple Glaze   

Brian Merel
Hometown: Chicago, IL
Signature Dish: Dark Chocolate Molten Cake with Berry Sauce and Cream

Chris Carrero
Hometown: Queens, NY
Signature Dish: Filet Mignon with Mushroom Cream Sauce   

Clemenza Caserta
Hometown: Staten Island, NY
Signature Dish: Stuffed Veal Chop with Sauteed Broccoli Raab   

Don Savage
Hometown: Houston, TX
Signature Dish: Southwest Saltimbocca   

Guy Vaknin
Hometown: New York, NY
Signature Dish: Pan Seared Striped Bass with Chocolate Miso   
Justin Antiorio
Hometown: Lyndhurst, NJ
Signature Dish: Pretzel-Crusted Crab Cake   

Patrick Cassata
Hometown: Lombard, IL
Signature Dish: Seared Broken Arrow Ranch Black Buck Antelope Loin   

Royce Wagner
Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Signature Dish: Seared Black Grouper   

Tavon Hubbard
Hometown: Washington, DC
Signature Dish: Seafood Linguine   

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
I always consider which chefs have an edge in Hell's Kitchen. I believe the answer is simple - it's the Executive Chefs. They don't always win but they have a good record. There are 5 executive chefs in HK10 and they are my initial favorites.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
And it's ON!   :hellkitchen

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:08 AM »
dude you exuctie chef at 22 you dont now how cut scallops

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
ZBC,

I can't agree. The only way you get to be an executive chef is if you know how to do just about everything. However, being an executive chef does not guarantee success in HK10. That will go to the individual best meeting Gordon Ramsay's concept of who the best chef is, which can only be revealed by the competition itself indicating who has the widest array of skills.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
The men's team is off to a horrible start, that's for sure!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
ZBC,

Now I see where you are coming from. Javon, an executive chef although only 22 years old, was eliminated after he mangled the scallops preparation and failed to produce a single plate of scallops as appetizers.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
For the first time ever Masterchef beat Hell's Kitchen in 18~49 ratings! (2.2 vs 2.1) :res:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
HK10, ep. 2

I have not been impressed by HK10 competitors. The men appear to be incompetent and the women only slightly less so. The women won a challenge to cook perfect scallops by 6 to 2 for the men, giving them an award of that day on Catalina Island with Ramsay. The men got to clean the kitchens, shuck, devein and clean shrimp for tableside preparation.

There were some major problems from Barbie cooking scallops and Chris cooking sea bass. Tiffany's decision to cook 6 sea bass without any orders motivated Ramsay to send the Women's team upstairs. The Men had gotten sent out briefly to eat the scallops they had cooked that did not pass muster. Ramsay sent them out permanently slightly after the Women. Neither kitchen had sent out any appetizers in more than 2 hours.

Neither team won and both teams lost, necessitating nominating 2 members of their team each. Chris self-nominated and Royce had not performed well for the second episode. Barbie was a no-brainer. Roshni was the second nominee because the women felt she had no chance at being eliminated and they badly wanted Barbie to go.

I think we will see Barbie switched to the Men's team. Don was talking like he did not want to continue to be part of that team. We'll see.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:56:04 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
HK10, ep. 3 started with a Challenge to cook an all-American menu for newly naturalized United States citizens (or actors impersonating them). The Women's team got together mini-pizza, sliders and Cobb salad faster than the Men did and won. The Men had to saw off all limbs and then pull up a massive tree so it would fit into a dumpster. the women went to a Safari Park in San Diego by private jet. This is another example of Ramsay showing off since it is only 100 miles from Los Angeles to San Diego and not much time could have been saved.

Dinner service revealed a variety of problems, but for the first time the Men finished it and the Women were sent away by Ramsay. The nominees for elimination were Briana and Barbie. Ramsay eliminated Briana

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
HK10, ep. 4 started in a corral with lambs to be captured for their collars, which had one ingredient on each. the Women caught one more in 5 minutes than the Men. Those ingredients were added to lamb steak, lamb chops, ground lamb or rack of lamb in head-to-head competition. The Men won when Robyn and Barbie faltered with raw ground lamb that Ramsay was unwilling to eat. The Men got to visit Hollywood Park race track with $100 to use for betting. The Women got to clean and eat lamb testicles, who with proper cooking style can be quite delicious but did not look that way under simple boiling.

Dinner service was a nightmare getting worse as it progressed. Brian, Roshni, Don, Danielle, Robyn, Justin and Royce all were banished. However, performance in the kitchen got much better!

Ramsay judged that both teams lost. Brian and Don were nominated for the Men. Roshni and Danielle were nominated by the Women. Don was eliminated and Danielle and Brian were sent back in line. Roshni had to give up her jacket, but it was for moving to the Blue team. She had better perform there, as she already has 3 of 4 episodes as a nominee for elimination.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
HK10, Ep. 5

It's Mexican Night in Hell's Kitchen. The challenge started with preparation of 5 Mexican dishes from each team selected out of 7 and made with 25 ingredients on balls that were released from the ceiling to simulate breaking a pinata. The judges were renowned Mexican cuisine experts Thomas Ortega and John Sedlar. The Red team won a close one 2 points to 1. That gave them a fine Mexican meal at Sedlar's restaurant Rivera and salsa dancing lessons. The Blue team had to eat tripe, which is an acquired taste (I would not eat it except in menudo when the cooking process makes it a treat. They also had to prep both kitchens for Mexican Night.

Dinner service was a shambles. Many chefs got themselves banished to upstairs by violating fundamental principles.  At the end there were 4 in the Red kitchen and just Brian and Roshni in the Blue kitchen, but both teams did finish dinner service.  Ramsay stated that both team were losers. That meant nominate 2 from each team. The Blue team nominated Patrick and Guy, who had the first major errors. The Red team nominated Danielle and their favorite whipping girl Barbie.

This episode finished with ToBeContinued, not unprecedented but fairly rare on Hell's Kitchen.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
HK10 Ep. 6

At the start, Barbie and Patrick easily argued their case for not being eliminated. Danielle was properly eliminated and Guy was safe. A Fashion Night Challenge involved creating three dishes (one appetizer and two entrees) inspired by fashionistas and present them to fashion world notables David Meister, Amanda Che, and Ina Soltani.  These judges clarified that they are looking for healthy and spicy. They rated the dishes 2-1 for the Blue team due primarily to Tiffany’s fried eggplant, which made the Blue team eligible for the reward. They got to spend the day shopping for new clothes with thousands of dollars at a fancy Malibu boutique and got their dishes on the menu for that evening.  After shopping, they went wine tasting in Malibu. The Red team had to carry in from a truck heavy low-rise panels to form a runway.

Ramsay pulls one person from each team to help him plate, Kimmie for Red and Royce for Blue. Clemenza started some scallops without any order to match them against. It’s another ToBeContinued. Why was this such a content-free episode?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
As the song goes from one of my favorite musicals, "1776", John Adams laments "Is anybody there? Does anybody care?" I am feeling that way about this thread since there is no dialogue except that which I put here.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 04:13:58 AM »
Hi Apskip!! thank you for the recaps which I enjoyed so much now that I don't have much time watching so that I have to cut some tv shows and series. 24 hours is surely not enough to catch up every episodes of my favorite shows. 

After 6 episodes, this season is starting to get my ire especially after the super boring episode 6. almost 20 minutes of reward challenge?????? Ramsay sure knows how to make me cut his shows (I've dropped Masterchef)...should I drop this one too?? hehehe.

Well, consider my reply as a subscription to your recap  :)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
I care apskip.. Please keep recapping for us. Right now, no one is impressing me. Several are NOT impressing me... I can't wait to find out what happens tonight when one of the girls steals meat from the blue team.  :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
That was the usual misleading advertising from FOX, as nobody from the RED team dared to steal meat from the BLUE team.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »
That was the usual misleading advertising from FOX, as nobody from the RED team dared to steal meat from the BLUE team.

I can't say this happened in other seasons, but I've noticed quite a few deceptions in the previews. It rather irks me to say the least. Which reminds me the finger cut off didn't happen either.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:32:11 PM by TexasLady »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
HK10, Ep. 7

The Fashion Night dinner service continued. Clemenza was given a severe verbal whipping by Ramsay for cooking scallops ahead. Clemenza argued that he essentially had to do so because he was incapable of cooking enough to order. As if to underscore his point, the orders came in for 16 plates of appetizer scallops and he had to ask Brian to assist. The Red kitchen was in chaos too. Barbie was helping Tiffany and Dana on scallops but the first plate to be sent to the pass was judged undercooked by Kimmie. As was frequently the case, nobody wanted to own up to it. Robyn was also trying to help out and not finding any appreciation for that from her teammates, who jealously guarded their turf.

Each course had to be carefully synchronized with the fashion show. The dishes were supposed to be ready to serve when it each of the 3 parts of the show was completed.  The corollary was that no dish could be served until that part of the show was over.

Guy sent cold beef to the pass, but Royce sent it right back. Clemenza during the challenge had earned the right for his swordfish dish to be featured on the Fashion Night menu. However, there were a lot of orders (17 or 18 depending on who you talked to) and he had to make them simultaneously. There was only fish for 11 orders. The Blue team was chaotic throughout. The Red team finished about 10 minutes sooner. They won and Kimmie’s excellence was noted by Ramsay.

The Blue team had to nominate 2. Clemenza had a bad night and was an easy nominee. The other nominee was difficult and Guy got the nod finally. Ramsay gave it the maximum suspense and sent Clemenza back into line to live another day in Hell's Kitchen. Guy was sent packing, with Ramsay’s statement that he proved he was not the guy. 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
HK10, Ep. 8

The challenge is for the chefs to create dishes, from ingredients revealed in five-minute intervals, including from the beginning. Platters are lit from underneath. Every five minutes, the next platter lights up and the chefs are racing for the best ingredients.

Anita Lo, executive chef of Annisa, Douglas Keanne, executive chef of Cyrus, and Michael Cimarusti, executive chef of Providence, judged the teams. Each chef will award the chefs with a number of stars. The most stars will win. Red won.

Christina's winning lobster dish was on the menu for that night's dinner service. The winning team received a day of pampering at the spa. As an added bonus, each of the winning women received a set of cookware. The Blue Team had to clean the dormitories before prepping for the dinner service.

Ramsay invited special guests to sit at his Chef's Tables. Justin of the Blue Team served UFC fighter Tito Ortiz while Robyn of the Red Team served World Champion Sugar Ray Leonard.

Clemenza's demonstrated a disconnect cooking pasta. Christina was going well with risotto, but she and Brian both needed two tries with their VIP risottos.

Robyn screwed up the Wellingtons. Tiffany finally got the Wellingtons done right, but the  Blue kitchen failed to send out a single entree. The entire team is asked to leave the kitchen. The Red team finished their dishes.

Brian explained that he has been nominated for the first ticket slowing them down and Clemenza was the second nominee. Ramsay found this ridiculous, saying, "neither one of you deserve to be nominated." He had his own nominees, Patrick and Roshni. Roshni bit the dust.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
HK10, Ep. 9
The Challenge was to create a dish from 5 ingredients specified by one pull of a slot machine wheel. Competing individuals from each team then received an ingredient basket and had 30 minutes to cook. It was judged by Ramsay head-to-head.
Since they had an extra team member, the Red team had to decide whose dish of Kimmie and Robyn was better. You know how this vote turns out. The team who had that responsibility is always wrong. In this case Robyn’s dish was found better than Kimmie’s:
Red Team v Blue Team
Dana and Patrick - 0 points
Christina and Royce – Christina took the point
Barbie and Brian – both took a point
Tiffany and Justin – Justin took a point
Robyn and Clemenza – Clemenza took the decisive point
It came down to a 2-2 tie before that data point, so that one determined the outcome of the entire Challenge. The Blue team won as Robyn’s dish was not good enough.  Ramsay rubbed salt in the wound by stating that the Kimmie’s dish would have won. I say hindsight is is superior.
The prizes for Blue were to spend a large sum of money at Sur La Table, a store of kitchen accessories. They also got to eat a special lunch at Comme Ca. The Red team had to haul and butcher a huge and heavy slab of beef from the truck.

Next was the dinner service, which focused on conflict between Robyn and the rest of her team. Justin's Filet Mignon will be on the menu for Family Night. All went well until Kimmie fired up the burner and got two very serious grease burns.