Author Topic: TAR 20 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 76408 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 20 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
Phil gives an interview here:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6750647

according to the above source,

this is what I've got from getting soaked in oil, in Azerbaijan,

There's an 'Oil Therapy Clinic'

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/unrefined-therapy-in-azerbaijan

Unrefined therapy in Azerbaijan           

Bathing in crude oil is reputed to soothe the skin and boost energy levels. But, as Luke Jerod Kummer discovers at Naftalan in Azerbaijan, the process of immersion is a far cry from the luxurious spa pampering that most of us enjoy "Why you come sanatoria?" the voice at the end of the phone asks. "Oil," I answer. I'm seated in the doctor's office at the Naftalan Sanatorium, near the battle-scarred territory of Nagorno-Karbakh in Azerbaijan. The health centre is famous for its crude oil baths, which are believed to have medicinal properties and be good for treating skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, easing joint pains; and generally calming the nerves. But as no one here speaks English, I'm none the wiser as to what the basis for these health claims might be. Rather, I'm talking to a stranger down a telephone line as banter ensues between my taxi driver, Emar, the "doctor", receptionist and nurses. People once flocked from all over the USSR to health centres in the small town of Naftalan to spend days soaking in the dark, heavy type of crude that's found in this area but is too expensive to refine. Today, western tourists like me are still an oddity.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/azerbaijan-clinic-uses-crude-oil-baths-as-spa-treatments.html

Phil did a TAR interview with KTLA: you can see the whole video here:

http://www.ktla.com/videogallery/68464182/Entertainment/PHIL-KEOGHAN-TALKS-AMAZING-RACE

The Paraguay portion is up in the Ep 3 thread.

Other highlight: In Azerbaijan, there is a man soaking in oil...because that is what they do.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
I'm confident it's the above hints of Naftalan Oil Spa in Azerbaijan  ;)
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking of the Quantum of Solace...

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
Oh that oil spa looks awesome.  :colors Joey Fitness' body covered with oil  :flirt:
LMAO :angel:
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline Squall

• RFF Jr. Member
  • There is reason to fear;Squall (the first) is here
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2012, 09:09:01 PM »
Don't know if its been posted in other forums, but according to TV guide, we get some fun in India.....

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/amazing-race-20-2012/episode-9-season-20/amazing-race-20/339585

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/amazing-race-20-2012/episode-10-season-20/amazing-race-20/339585

Just says "india" so there
"as long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything...you feel less pain" --> Squall
Host: The Mole: South Eastern Sabotage
Played: Fantasy Big Brother 2011 (Mythic) - Win | Survivor K: South Pacific: (Coach) - Runner Up

paldog123456

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
Really hoping TAR goes to Bangalore in India. It is a BEAUTIFUL city, and one of the major cities in India (that hasn't been visited, also).

Since we knew they were in Kerala, it is possible. They could've gone to Bangalore, then to rural Kerala, a trend TAR likes to do (Major city in India -> rural India).

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:08 AM »
Really hoping TAR goes to Bangalore in India. It is a BEAUTIFUL city, and one of the major cities in India (that hasn't been visited, also).

Since we knew they were in Kerala, it is possible. They could've gone to Bangalore, then to rural Kerala, a trend TAR likes to do (Major city in India -> rural India).

Were they in Trivandrum, Kerala?

paldog123456

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
IDK. I just remember they were in Kerala.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »

Amazing Race, that is quite possible. The other major city in Kerala is Kochi (formerly Cochin).

Paldog, Bangalore is one of the few major Indian cities I have not visited, but it is a long way from Kerala. It's possible Bangalore will be included in one of 2 legs in India, but I would not plan on it. There are 330 miles between Bangalore and Kochi.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »

Amazing Race, that is quite possible. The other major city in Kerala is Kochi (formerly Cochin).

Paldog, Bangalore is one of the few major Indian cities I have not visited, but it is a long way from Kerala. It's possible Bangalore will be included in one of 2 legs in India, but I would not plan on it. There are 330 miles between Bangalore and Kochi.

Since they visited Kochi in Season 3, I think they might visit the capital city, Trivandrum!

I was just in Trivandrum from March 20th to 29th. I have some relatives there who maybe could come up with something when the preview or something pops up.

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2012, 01:03:28 AM »
So the remaining race course is:

LEG 7: Azerbaijan--Tanzania
LEG 8: Tanzania
LEG 9: Tanzania---India
LEG10: India
LEG11: India---Japan
LEG12: Japan---US

Right? Well, i gotta say i liked it. Glad that they didn't went to China again after India. That would've been a little bit of an overkill.
Hopefully we'll have a couple of new countries too in TAR21.

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »
Looks like an interesting race course to me. Hopefully, there will be new and awesome scenery in those places! :jam:
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
Which works out perfectly as there are connections from Nairobi through Doha into Trivandrum. Remember the Doha sightings?

All those sightings were believed to be FAUX.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »

Since they visited Kochi in Season 3, I think they might visit the capital city, Trivandrum!

I was just in Trivandrum from March 20th to 29th. I have some relatives there who maybe could come up with something when the preview or something pops up.

No, AR3 did not visit Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum is just the name of its airport) as far as I know.

You could be thinking of AR4, which visited Alleppey for the bull mud ride leg. AR4 teams arrived on the 1000 km train ride at Ernakulam and they did leave the Kochi Airport to fly to Chennai (referred to in AR4 by its former name of Madras). There is no evidence that any other tasks took place in the Kochi area.

Or perhaps you are thinking of Amazing Race Asia 3, which did have episode 9 in Kochi.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »

Which works out perfectly as there are connections from Nairobi through Doha into Trivandrum. Remember the Doha sightings?

I will agree that there are 2 very good flight connections through Doha. However, there are 8 daily flights from Mumbai to Thiruvananthapuram. Which is more likely if TRV is the airport they fly to?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

Even the Nairobi one?
No, but the doha one was (IIRC) supposed to be from Nepal, so clearly fausx.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
No, AR3 did not visit Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum is just the name of its airport) as far as I know.

You could be thinking of AR4, which visited Alleppey for the bull mud ride leg. AR4 teams arrived on the 1000 km train ride at Ernakulam and they did leave the Kochi Airport to fly to Chennai (referred to in AR4 by its former name of Madras). There is no evidence that any other tasks took place in the Kochi area.

Or perhaps you are thinking of Amazing Race Asia 3, which did have episode 9 in Kochi.

This is a bit nitpicky of me but Trivandrum isn't just the name of the airport. I was there last year and a lot of the locals as well as the majority of tourists still refer to it as Trivandrum over it's proper Indian name (just like Bombay/Mumbai, Chennai/Madras and Alappuzha/Alleppey)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Actually, my take on how teams got from Arusha to Kochi is that they connected through Doha (preceded by either Arusha to Nairobi to Doha or Arusha to Dar Es Salaam to Nairobi to Doha).

So it turns out that Leafsfan is quite correct according to me.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
We can always take another look, but the Doha spoiler was deemed FAUX at the time.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TAR Fanatic

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
Here are the tweets from Doha:

Marie Nair ‏ @MarieDeviNair

Given the luxury of the Qatar coach cabins, I must say the Doha Terminal is... a disappointment
6:37 AM - 14 Dec 11 via Futuretweets V2 · Details

pretty sure I saw what looked like Amazing Race or those round the world challenge things just run past me.
7:54 AM - 14 Dec 11 via web · Details

@ArundhatiSV noo sweetie... not on my flight. they arrived from katmandu :) arrival gate bside mine!!!
7:54 AM - 14 Dec 11 via web · Details

I assume the time stamp is my local time which was CST in Dec. I think the main reason we believed them to be false is that this person said the racers had arrived from Katmandu which we later learned was not a part of the race. She could have simply been mistaken as to where the racers arrived from. The date of Dec 14 is later than the possible India dates that are currently being considered. So is it possible that teams did not arrive in Cochin until late Dec 14/early Dec 15?
Doing my part to preserve a fragile existence

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »
The layover of AR20 teams in Doha airport on Dec. 12 was between QA535 arrival at 710pm and departure of 9W555 at 1120pm.

That does not match either the date or time of day for the sightings reported above, so although sightings in Doha were possible those in particular were not valid.