Other Great Reality Shows > Other Reality TV Shows & News

Top Chef 10

<< < (7/9) > >>

kiki:

--- Quote from: apskip on January 17, 2013, 03:05:52 PM --- So Josie undeservedly stayed alive and Kristen got the ax. All I can say is Ugh!

--- End quote ---

I completely agree with you apskip. I couldn't believe the result! They kicked out Kristen who made repeatedly some of the best dishes so far and they kept Josie who has been in the bottom for 3-4 episodes in the row. I was really disappointed.

apskip:
TC10, Ep. 12

This episode started with 6 chefs remaining. The Quickfire had Katsuya Uechi of Katsuya
 as the Guest Judge. It was to create a dish to impress a sushi master. These were the dishes:

Brooke – Octopus with Yuzu and Grated Wasabi
Josh – Tempura Bacon, Omelette, Salmon Belly, and Yuzu Kosho Aioli
Josie - Halibut with Yuzu and Bacon Aioli
Lizzie - Lobster, Micro Greens, and Pickled Ginger with Yuzu-Sake Broth
Sheldon – Umami Drumsticks and Thighs, Wings with Usukuchi and Grape Seed Oil
Stefan - Yellowtail with Grilled Shiitake and Raw Lobster with Seaweed and Unagi

David rated Lizzie and Josh lowest. He rated Stefan and Sheldon highest.  Stefan won, but immunity is no longer applicable for the rest of the season.

The Elimination Challenge was to make delicious fried chicken for a dinner party Tom and David Chang of Momofuku were throwing for big-time chefs. Here were the dishes prepared:
Brooke – Dukkah-Crusted Chicken Breast with Wilted Escarole, and Tomato
Josh – Smoked Fried Chicken with Hot Sauce and Blue Cheese
Josie - Chicken with Black Garlic, Cayenne, Thyme, and Hot Sauce with Daikon Salad
Lizzie - Chicken with Coriander, Black Pepper, and Brown Sugar Rub with Peach-Cabbage Slaw    
Sheldon – Hamachi Sashimi with Fresh Ponzu, Mitsuba, and Lemon Charcoal
Stefan - Chicken Cordon Bleu with Garlic Aioli, and Lemon

The diners were some of the best master chefs in America:
Wolfgang Puck
Emeril Lagasse
David Chang
Michelle Bernstein
Jon Shook
Vinny Dotolo

The comments on dishes went as follows:
Brooke – she made a huge mistake in taking the chicken breast off the bone; she also was caught short on time and could not recrisp her skin
Josh – he had really nice fried chicken
Josie – her fried chicken was very greasy;
Lizzie – she had really nice fried chicken
Sheldon – he had really nice fried chicken (will he win for a 3rd consecutive episode?)
Stefan – he made a cordon bleu chicken but did not attempt fried chicken

Judges’ Table used Emeril, Wolfgang, David, Tom and Padma. They easily agreed that the top 3 were Sheldon, Josh and Lizzie. Josh got the victory and the 360 bottles of wine from Terlato Vineyards. The bottom 3 were Brooke, Josie and Stefan. Each had made huge errors. Brooke had failed to utilize the chickens provided. An amusing sidenote is that earlier in their careers Brooke had not selected either Jon or Vinny for a chef position she controlled and they have gone on to prominence in the chef world. Josie had, as usual, wasted a great deal of time and been caught short at the end. She did not have time to blot the grease off as a result. Stefan was viewed as too indifferent to follow instructions, making the chicken he wanted to make instead of the fried chicken that was requested. The Judges deliberated and decided to eliminate Josie. This was entirely fair as she had no business being advanced to this episode. It should be noted that Stefan has also been skating on thin ice and could get caught soon in spite of his obvious talent.

LAST CHANCE KITCHEN Ep. 9, Kristen vs. Josie

This challenge started with a trip to Pike’s Market to buy a whole salmon. It continued with breaking that down into 10 identical portions and making 10 plates from it in 30 minutes. This was designed to test time management skills. Josie dropped one piece on the floor but replaced it just in time.

Josie- fennel pollen dusted salmon w/ fennel, radish and tarragon salad
Kristen – Crispy salmon with pickled pineapple, raisins, shaved cauliflower and crème fraiche

Both had flaws that Tom Colicchio pointed out, particularly Josie overcooking hers, but Kristen won and Josie was totally eliminated.

apskip:
TC10, Ep. 13

This episode starts with 5 chefs remaining and will end with only 4. All chefs are directed by Padma to get on a Celebrity Cruise ship from Seattle to Juneau Alaska (the traditional Inside Passage itinerary). The Guest Judge is Curtis Stone. The Quickfire is to take 2.5 hours to prepare 200 portions of a dish featuring iceburg lettuce for the Welcome Aboard Ship’s Party. The choices of dishes were:

Brooke - Iceberg wrap, bacon, scallop, caramelized onion and crispy quinoa
Josh - Iceberg Roll: Apple Cider vinaigrette, bacon jam, blue cheese
Lizzie – Iceberg Salad: crispy bacon, shallots, and anchovy vinaigrette
Sheldon – Vietnamese Lettuce Wrap: pork, shrimp and pickled iceberg hearts
Stefan – Braised Iceberg Lettuce, Pastrami, Fingerling Potato & Blue Cheese Sauce

The winner was Sheldon, who received an advantage in the Elimination Challenge. That challenge was to cook innovative, upscale surf-and-turf combination from supplies available in the ship’s galley, which was well-stocked with a huge range of ingredients, but had electric heat. The chefs had eaten the prior evening in Qsine, the innovative resultant on the ship and were to take over the QSine kitchen for this. Sheldon’s advantage was to pick an exclusive meat and an exclusive seafood ingredient that no other chef could use. The dishes chosen were:

Brooke – frogs legs, mussels, Papadum
Josh – scallops, braised pork belly, bacon bits
Lizzie – cabbage rolls, ribs from a suckling pig, scallops
Sheldon – beef, kimchi, tempura lobster
Stefan – cracklin’ pork belly, eel ravioli, beer sauce

The top two rated chefs were Brooke and Josh. The bottom 3 were Lizzie, Sheldon and Stefan. Lizzie’s sins were minor, but Sheldon had soggy, cold tempura and Stefan’s overly crispy pork did not go well with the rest of the dish. Brooke was the winner of a Caribbean cruise for 2 by Celebrity Cruise Line. Lizzie was excused along with Josh and it was Sheldon vs. Stefan for the worst dish. I didn’t have the opportunity to sample those dishes, so who really knows thee influences on a judge. In theory the several prior wins by Sheldon and the recent bottom-feeding performances by Stefan should not have influenced the outcome, but I have a hard time believing that. Stefan got the boot.

Last Chance Kitchen: Kristen vs. Stefan

The goal was to cook with offal. The dishes chosen were:
Kristen - Chicken Livers with Garlic & Mustard Caramel, Pickled Fruit, Toasted Bread & Herb Salad
Stefan - Boishel of Innards with Cream Cause, Bread, Gallette, Liver & Parsley Salad
Kristen won and Stefan was totally through. That means all of the prior seasons competitors are now gone from the main bracket, although CJ remains alive in the Fan Favorite voting (and will probably win that).

scuzneck:
I was so glad to see Stefan eliminated on Wednesday. I have never been a big fan of former contestants returning to battle new contestants on any show. I always think once your 15 minutes of fame are over, you shouldn't infringe on the fifteen minutes of others. All-Star editions are one thing but adding oldies to newbies is always highly annoying.

Anyway, back to the episode. I think Sheldon really dodged a bullet and really only stayed because his body of work in the competition so far as been much more appetizing and appealing than Stefan's, even though, we "know" that it is all about the elimination and not the body of work.

The final four is who it really should be. For awhile now, I have seen Lizzie as the dark horse, Josh as a mid packer, Brooke (my favorite) as a formidable threat and Sheldon as the front-runner. I do not see anyone coming out of twitter favorite or last chance kitchen winning the whole thing. I would be majorly bummed if one of them did win. (Once again, it goes along with my oldies/newbies stance. Eliminated cheftestants had a chance to win and they couldn't. Buh-bye.)

All in all, it has been a tremendous season. Can't wait to see how it pans out from here.

apskip:
scuzneck,

I basically agree with you. However, I think Kristen (as my projected winner of Last Chance Kitchen) or CJ (as my, projected winner of Fan Favorite voting) could beat Brooke or Sheldon, although this is a probability statement; it is not preordained. I do agree that Josh and Lizzie are playing out of their league and are unlikely to win.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version