Author Topic: TAR 20: Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton *Best Friends*  (Read 59991 times)

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
Re: TAR 20: Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton *Best Friends*
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:23 AM »
kevin2012,

I guess the question is whether you mean "the greatest male/male team" ever in all Amazing Races or just in AR20. I am going to assume that you mean the former.

Here are some male/male teams that are superior in my opinion:
1. Rob/Brennan
2. BJ/Tyler
3. Eric/Jeremy
4. Andy/Tommy (even though they did not make the F3 they were truly a great team)

I feel that from after AR4 a bias to tilt the casting in favor of strong female teams and couples took over, so there have been only 3 teams I rate as great since then. There were some male/male teams that won (Tyler/James, Dan/Jordan) but I don't rate as great.

Well, I did say "imo" (In My Opinion) so that's totally my opinion, I think they're the best.

only my opinion

Also imo, three of the male/male teams you mentioned I don't like at all. The only one that is decent in my opinion is Rob and Brennan.
Bring on the 21!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
UPCOMING GUESTS ON "THE TALK" ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK, 4/30-5/4

Monday through Friday (2:00-3:00 PM, ET; 1:00-2:00 PM, PT)

(*Denotes changes and/or additions to previous schedule, (n) Denotes new)

Thursday, May 3
 Actress Shannen Doherty guest co-hosts; actor Jim Caviezel (CBS’s “Person of Interest”); reality stars Mark Jackson and William “Bopper” Minton (CBS’s “The Amazing Race”); “Redo You” money tips: credit vs. debit with Lynnette Khalfani-Cox  (n)

NOTE please: discussion of this should continue in existing discussion in the Speculation thread here:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26411.msg744834.html#msg744834

NOT IN THIS THREAD!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
I wonder if the other teams were getting a bit paranoid now that this team has had 2 NELs lol, they must have thought they were the producer's favourites.  :D 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:17:17 AM by starrynight »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2012, 07:19:29 AM »
All NELs are predetermined. :tup:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
Though they no longer say 'predetermined non-elimination legs' like they used to, it's just 'non-elimination legs' now.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »
Leafsfan,

May I ask how we knew that and how you knew that? I didn't know that. I considered the Tanzania one a no-brainer but have not come around to believing that India has one too until yesterday?

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
 :gaah:
Bring on the 21!

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
jmo, this is the second consecutive season where the only awesome team in the final 5 was eliminated in 5th place
Bring on the 21!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »
They had a long wait befor they started off and Art and JJ didn't really seem to struggle with their detour so I wasn't surprised when they were eliminated.  The bigger suspense was who would finish first with the ferry.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
Oh yea, did I mention a Mike and Louie vibe?

I don't think they will make the F6. They seemed to be an early boot for me. (F7 - F8) :duno:

The only time in a long long time I am wrong about a team. I sincerely apologize and guess what, they are my favourite team this ENTIRE season. :ghug:

We know that if there's an unfinished business 2, they will be back! :ghug:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
They ran an awesome race and should be proud of their work ethic :hearts:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
They ran an awesome race and should be proud of their work ethic :hearts:

Yeah they were truly great. A shoo-in for the next all-stars, imo the best male/male team ever.
Bring on the 21!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
http://www.tvguide.com/news/amazing-race-bopper-mark-1046755.aspx

Amazing Race's Bopper and Mark: Our Friendship Is Deeper Than Any Situation
Joyce Eng
Apr 30, 2012 04:30 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

Despite winning the head-shaving Fast Forward on The Amazing Race, best friends William "Bopper" Minton and Mark Jackson became the second team in franchise history to get eliminated despite completing the Fast Forward. "We were too far back. We started three hours behind everyone else, so it was tough to make up even with the Fast Forward," Bopper tells TVGuide.com. "The Fast Forward just helped us finish the leg quicker." The self-professed ol' country boys from Kentucky fell so far behind last week after Mark toiled for hours and suffered heat stroke in the Indian sun while learning a Bollywood dance. But he says he would do it all over again for his best buddy. See what else the fan favorites have to say about their tight bond, being threatened by Art and JJ and more.

How close were you to Art and JJ?
Bopper: I don't know, but looking at the shadow on the mat, we'd come in pretty late after them. We were three hours behind from the beginning. We did our best, but I think we were beat before we left that morning. [Laughs]
Mark: We put everything we had into that leg —
Bopper: Including my hair!
Mark: We knew no matter what, we gotta try. The Fast Forward was good. It was the only lifeline we had and we went for it. ... We didn't know for sure we would be eliminated, but we thought we might.
Bopper: Yeah, we still had our fingers crossed that we'd still be in it, but we knew we would have fun that day regardless and run as hard as we could.

Was it worth it to shave your head to get eliminated?
Bopper: Oh yeah! Just for the opportunity — I shaved my head for the chance to win the money for my child and my family, so I could give my family a better life and I could relocate us to a healthier environment. I would shave it again right now!
Mark: My head was already shaved, so I didn't have a problem with it.
Bopper: Mark was concerned about them gapping him up and stuff.

Last week really did you guys in. What about the dance was so hard, Mark? Were you just tired and feeling sick from the bus ride?
Mark: Well, on the show, when I got sick, my buddy Bopper here did whatever he had to do while I got healthy. But in that instance, I got sick and when we got there, it was a dance and he couldn't dance because of his leg, so I had to do it. When I started doing it, there were so many steps that after the first two steps, I was like, "Are we ready now?" The teacher said, "No." I looked at him, like, "Man, I don't know if I can do it. I'm weak and getting dizzy." I gave it everything I had.

Bopper, you told him to quit. Did you mean quit the task and take the penalty or quit the whole Race?
Bopper: I had gotten really concerned about Mark. He had quit sweating. I could tell by the look in his eyes that something was wrong and I didn't want to see my buddy risk his life or his health. As bad as we needed the money, I needed my buddy over the money. I had a cracked femur and I knew that I couldn't do the dance, but when I looked in Mark's eyes, there was nobody home. I just told him, "Let's just take the penalty. I have to take you back to Kentucky walking and not in a body bag."
Mark: The reason I stopped was because when I blacked out, I just saw my kids. I've got three kids and I just couldn't imagine their life without me. Money ain't everything in life. I wish a lot of people will understand that. Your family is what life's about. I'd rather come back to Manchester broke as I left and take care of my kids than risk dying and no one taking care of my kids.

How did you change your mind? You had your shirt off and it seemed like you were done. Did Bopper and the instructor talk you out of it?
Mark: I just sat down, drank a lot of water, poured a lot of water over me. I had to cool off. That was it. When I cooled off, I said to Bopper, "I think I can do it." He said, "Listen, if you think you can, let's do this for our kids and just show them what we'd do for them." When he said that, it was all it took. When someone stands beside you and says, "I don't want you to die. Let's take the penalty," the least I could do was get back out there for him. I'd do it again.

You guys are great friends and were so supportive of each other. Did you ever fight on the Race?
Bopper: We're of the pact that friends have differences, but true friends will get their arguments over quick because we have to race the next day. That's what it was like on the Race and that's what it's like for us today. We have disagreements, but we know our friendship is deeper than any situation that we're gonna run across. That's the bottom line: Have your little spit-spat and get over it because you're friends.
Mark: You gotta be man enough to humble yourself when you know you're wrong and when you're right. When you're wrong and your partner's right, don't be too proud to say it. It doesn't matter if you argue. You're gonna be friends in the end if you really are friends. If you argue and it causes you to break up your friendship, you never were friends to begin with!
Bopper: That's exactly right. I told Mark before we left, when we were jogging and getting in shape, "We've been friends all our lives. We're gonna leave [for the show] as friends and regardless of what happens, we're gonna come back as friends." And we both agreed to that.

You seem to have gotten along with every team. Art and JJ gave you money in Italy, but then in the airport in Africa, they almost threatened to U-Turn you if you didn't switch sides. What happened there?
Mark: The reason Art and JJ gave us the money was because they thought we were out of the Race. But then I think out of that, like you said, when they threatened us, they didn't come to me. They went to Bopper. They gave him that money and I guess they thought Bopper was gonna be willing to do whatever they wanted him to because they gave him the money. The money was a nice gesture from them, but we didn't ask for nothing. But we're two ol' country boys and we're not gonna change — money can't buy us. I told Bopper, "Man, they're not gonna threaten us. They're not gonna tell us what to do." We got along with everybody. If they don't like us, that's their loss. We're friendly to everybody. We talked to all the teams. We didn't just sit in this little group or that little group like some other teams. We mingled with everybody.
Bopper: We talked to all the teams: "Let's help each other along. The last leg is what counts. If I can do something to help you, I will. But we all agree: If we make it to the final three, it's dog-eat-dog." We all agreed. I was not gonna U-Turn anyone unless it came down to keeping me in the game. That's the only way I would've U-turned anyone, including Art and JJ, even after they made that comment.

You called them babies for ignoring Dave and Rachel when they didn't U-Turn Brendon and Rachel.
Bopper: Right. I told Art and JJ, "Look, I don't know how you guys were raised or your beliefs or whatever, but there are two things you don't do to a country boy: You don't kick his dog and you don't threaten him." [Laughs] He didn't kick my dog, but I kinda felt threatened, so I didn't like it! I still do appreciate them giving my child that money. I have respect for every single person that ran that Race with us. I keep in touch with them, I talk with them. I've grown to love everybody, not just as friends. I think of them as brothers and sisters now.

You were definitely the fan favorites this season and a lot of people want to see you on the next All-Stars. Are you up for it?
Bopper: Absolutely! If they called me right now, I'd say, "Sweetie, I have to get off this phone because I gotta get on an airplane because I'm about to do the Race again."
Mark: Do it in a minute!

What are you up to now? How's your daughter doing?
Bopper: My daughter is doing well. She's got a lot of respiratory problems. Like I said in the beginning, that's why I spilled my guts on that Race. Every time I was down and out, I would picture my child on that breathing machine and I would dig deep and keep going. When we were making our way up Sleeping Beauty's castle and I was having chest pains and out of wind, I dropped to my knees and asked God if he gave me a second wind, I would give my heart and soul into this Race like I have been. And He gave me that second wind.
Mark: I'm just sitting here listening to Bopper. [Laughs] When we went on the show to better the lives of our families, I had a pretty good job and the guy told me I would keep it, but as soon as I got back from the Race, I lost my job. I ain't gonna lie: It's been real tough for us. Me and my family are really struggling. But I don't worry about it because I've got Bopper and my friends. Everyone talks about how close our friendship is. Yes, we're close, but if you come to Manchester, Ky., you can ask anyone around here about Mark and Bopper, and if they're a friend of ours, we'd do anything for them and they would for us. My friends and my family have helped me keep my head up high. God gave me a breath to wake up every morning. Every morning you wake up, you ought to thank God because nobody is promised the next day.
Bopper: We got to travel the world and we've seen what true hard times are. We've seen true poverty. We're blessed every day as Americans. I just keep that in my mind all the time.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/1003026166-the-amazing-race-heat-and-hear-with-bopper-and-mark.html

The Amazing Race: Heat and Heart with Bopper and Mark
by Reg Seeton

This week on The Amazing Race, friends William “Bopper” Minton and Mark Jackson of Kentucky were eliminated after surviving the sweltering heat in India.

Although Bopper and Mark gave it their best shot this week on The Amazing Race, the two Kentucky friends couldn’t make up time on the rest of the pack. Only a week earlier on The Amazing Race, Bopper and Mark hit the mat in last place for a non-elimination leg that nearly knocked the guys out of competition under the sun in India.

When Mark was forced to replicate an Indian dance in the blistering heat last week, Bopper watched as his friend suffered from heat exhaustion. Despite the setback, Mark finished the task and the two friends continued their journey on The Amazing Race. This week, however, Bopper and Mark made up huge ground on the other teams but were ultimately eliminated from The Amazing Race after a stellar comeback.

The following day, The Deadbolt caught up with Bopper and Mark to learn more about their time in India, how they braved the heat, why they decided to stick it out, and how The Amazing Race gave them a new appreciation of what’s important.

THE DEADBOLT: How glad were you guys to finish the race?

WILLIAM BOPPER MINTON: We were tickled pink to finish the race. I’ll tell you what: we had the honor of circling the globe. But the best thing was the two miles to Manchester, Kentucky, before you get into Manchester. That sign was the most beautiful sign I’ve ever seen in my life.

MARK JACKSON: Me too! That’s where I live and that sign let me know my kids were only a few miles away.

THE DEADBOLT: So, Mark, what happened between Africa and India? Was it just the difference in the heat?

MARK: Well, the heat and the smell. Let me tell you, man, the smell isn’t that good in India. You know how you stick your head out the window to get fresh air? You didn’t do that in India. You stick your head in your shirt if you want fresh air. You saw how I got sick all of the time, that just made it worse with all of the heat. It was 120 degrees in the shade. You blow into your hand and hope it comes back into your face. It was just brutal.

Bopper was going to do the task but his knee was blown out. He couldn’t do the dance so it took me to do it. I was already only about 60 percent. And at 60 percent, I went down quick.

THE DEADBOLT: Bopper, during the dance task, how long did it take to realize Mark was in trouble?

BOPPER: Well, he was pretty tough. It was about an hour and a half in the heat. It got to a point where he tried the dance several times and I was trying to get him to focus on me. I tried to smile at him and let him know I was there for him. But it got to a point that he couldn’t even focus on looking at me, so I knew that he was getting hot and he was done.

We want everyone to know that we wouldn’t quit on the race. I was concerned for my buddy’s health. He was that hot. I went and told Mark, I said, “Look, man, you’ve got nothing else to give these people. Let’s take the penalty and hope for the best. I’d rather you walk back to Kentucky instead of me taking you home in a body bag.” It was that bad and he got that hot.

THE DEADBOLT: There were a couple of times you could have quit. How tough was the decision to stay in the race?

MARK: It wasn’t tough at all! When you’ve got kids that you’re there for, and that’s the only reason you’re there, quitting is not an option. There’s no option in it. We would never have the chance to do this again to change our family’s lives, so there was no way we could quit.

THE DEADBOLT: In the end, how far behind the rest of the teams were you?

BOPPER: I’m guessing probably anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour maybe. It’s hard to tell.

MARK: When we started, we were three hours behind them. Whenever we got finished, I would say we were probably 30 to 40 minutes behind them.

THE DEADBOLT: How did the race change your perspective of what’s important in life?

MARK: It made me realize what is important in life – and what everyone in America should realize – that family is the most important thing in life. No amount of money in this world is worth your family. That’s just the bottom line. There’s no price that you could put on your family. If you love them enough, you’re going to be there for them.

BOPPER: I feel the same way. The most important thing was our families. That’s the bottom line.

THE DEADBOLT: Bopper, how did you feel when Art and J.J. gave you their prize money after coming in first earlier in the race?

BOPPER: That was truly from the heart of those guys. They’re big-hearted guys. Honestly, I don’t think they’re the type of guys that everyone’s making them to be. That was heart-touching for me. They know why I was there. I was there to try and win the money so I could relocate my child to a cleaner and healthier environment because she has so many respiratory problems. They knew that and it was out of their hearts to want to help my child. I still think highly of them for that.

THE DEADBOLT: Was there anything on the race that you wish we saw that wasn’t aired on TV?

BOPPER: No, not really. What you saw on TV, that’s how it was.

THE DEADBOLT: Well, at least you got free haircuts out of the deal.

BOPPER: Exactly right, bro!

MARK: I didn’t get one [hair was already shaved]. I should’ve gotten him to shave me. I just let him pretend he was cutting. But it was worth every bit of it to look at my buddy’s big moon dog!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-bopper-minton-and-mark-jackson-talk-the-amazing-race-13419.php

By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 04/30/2012

William "Bopper" Minton and Mark Jackson were eliminated from The Amazing Race's twentieth season during Sunday night's penultimate broadcast of the CBS reality competition.

The "Friends" team became the seventh team eliminated from the around-the-world competition after they arrived at the Race's tenth Pit Stop at Cheena Vala Fishing Nets in Cochin, India, in last place due to the fact they had started the leg more than three hours behind the other teams and also encountered a Speed Bump which they were required to complete before continuing on to the next task.

On Monday, Bopper and Mark talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including how long it took them to actually finish their Speed Bump and Fast Forward tasks, whether the traffic Art Velez and J.J. Carrell got stuck in on the way to the Pit Stop allowed Bopper and Mark to finish closely behind them or made no difference at all, what Bopper's little girl has been struggling with at home and why Mark was also selflessly desperate to win the grand prize, and whom they believed was really at fault in the Rachel Reilly versus Vanessa Macias smackdown.

Reality TV World: How far behind Art and J.J. do you think you guys finally arrived at the Pit Stop? The show made it look you guys were actually not too far behind them considering Art and J.J. hit traffic on the way to the Pit Stop and it seemed like a quick process to shave your heads.

William "Bopper" Minton: It's hard to say, you know? Like I said, I was trying to pay attention to the shadow that was on the mat -- you know, the sun shining on the mat -- so it's something Mark pointed out earlier.

There could have been a cloud or I don't know what, but there was no shadow when we got to the mat. So, I'm thinking we were probably at least 30-45 minutes -- maybe an hour -- behind them. I'm not for sure about that.

Reality TV World: How long would you say the Speed Bump task of painting the lion took you guys? And how about for the Fast Forward task?

William "Bopper" Minton: Me and Mark painted that belly like nobody else. I think we went through the Speed Bump probably what, Mark? Thirty minutes?

Mark Jackson: I would say probably 30-40 minutes, yeah.

Reality TV World: Okay and how long do you think the Fast Forward took you guys?

William "Bopper" Minton: It took no time to shave my head, honey. Listen, he had a sharp pair of clippers and it didn't take too long. But the fact of the matter is, sometimes if you get a slow-riding taxi driver, that can make all the difference. (Laughs)

Mark Jackson: And my head was already shaved. So we didn't have to worry about that.

William "Bopper" Minton: Yeah, all they had to do was slap him once or twice on the head and that was it.

Reality TV World: So did they just pretend to shave Mark's head then?

Mark Jackson: Yeah, they acted like they took the clippers to it and it bit me a little bit. I was like, "Man, I'm alright. Let me have them."

Reality TV World: So it sounds like your ultimate downfall then was just the fact you guys started the leg about three hours behind the other teams, right?

William "Bopper" Minton: Right. That's exactly right.

Reality TV World: You guys seemed unsure whether to take advantage of the Fast Forward or not when you received that clue. How close did you come to not using the Fast Forward? What would your explanation had been if you chose not to try the Fast Forward task? 

Mark Jackson: We didn't have no intentions. We didn't have no intentions. That was the only way. We thought about it for a minute and wondered if anybody did it, and we just realized that was the only way that we had a chance of being in the Race. We didn't have no choice but to do the Fast Forward.

William "Bopper" Minton: Right, so we looked at it like, "Listen, let's go out and go big or go home and let's just take a chance on the Fast Forward." We got there, we didn't see anybody laying around nowhere, so I knew that we had a fighting chance. So I didn't hesitate of having my head shaved.

It's like I told that guy when he was shaving my head, I said, "Brother, to keep me in this Race and still give me a chance at winning life-changing money for my family, I'll give you that leg in the process if you need it."

Reality TV World: Because you guys had finished in last place twice during the legs that happened to be non-elimination legs, if you had won The Amazing Race in the end, do you think that would've cheapened your win a little bit?

Mark Jackson: No way. I'm going to tell you I got this... there's no way it would've cheapened our win. If you would have seen the effort -- when other people got Fast Forwards -- I mean a non-elimination, and they didn't make it through the Speed Bumps. We barely got through the Speed Bump, the first Speed Bump, so that just gave us another chance.

In fact on one [season], the guys from Indianapolis -- Marcus Pollard -- and his woman [Amani Pollard], they got the Fast Forward and they got through the Speed Bump and they made it to the Final 3. It is hard to do this stuff and if anyone made it look cheap for nothing, because we absolutely -- everybody that was watching the show saw that we gave it everything that we had and it wouldn't have mattered.

It wouldn't have mattered how they felt about it because we needed it. We needed the money and we just got lucky to get the non-elimination. If somebody else came in last during that leg, they would've gotten that non-elimination. See what I'm saying?

Reality TV World: Yes, so did any of the other teams give you a hard time about those last-place finishes at all?

Mark Jackson: No.

William "Bopper" Minton: No, every time we survived a non-elimination, the other teams were [happy] for us to still be there, because we were friends with everybody there and they knew why we needed that money.

So, of course everybody was there to win the money, but they knew that me and Mark -- our determination behind it too. So, they still respected us being in the Race with them because they knew that we were going to give them laughs, and they knew we were going to have fun. So, no, I don't think any of them was mad because we got non-eliminations.

Reality TV World: Speaking of you guys needing the money, Bopper, you talked a little bit about it on the show, but would you mind giving a little more detail on what your daughter's situation is?

William "Bopper" Minton: Well, my daughter, she has chronic and severe asthma and respiratory problems and sinus and allergies, and I live about 150-170 yards downwind from a coal-processing plant, which I am not against coal.

But you know, I think these processing plants need to protect us better than what they do, but that's why running the Race, to me, was so important, because I need to relocate my child to a healthier environment, you know? She's on seven different respiratory medicines twice a day, you know? So, that's what the Race meant to me. It was life-changing money for my family, so that's why I ran it so hard.

Reality TV World: And Mark, during last week's episode when you were trying to complete that Bollywood dance, you mentioned you didn't want to quit because you had three children at home and you would've loved to win the money for them. Were there any specific issues at home behind why you needed the prize money or were you just hoping to better your children's upbringing in general?

Mark Jackson: You just said everything. I was hoping to change the lives of my family because it's something that would have made a big difference for my kids -- I'm all my kids have got now. I'm divorced, I have three children, and that was all it was.

And then after the show, and I got back, I didn't know I was going to lose my job and I lost my job. It was just -- that's what the big shock was. But we was just trying to change our families' lives and that was just the bottom line. So anything we had to do to do it...

William "Bopper" Minton: And when I asked Mark to quit that challenge, I did that because I was concerned about my friend's health. He was extremely hot. He gave 150% percent in that dance, and you know, he was just exhausted. And when I looked in his eyes, he was so dizzy and he was so sick, I told him, I said, "Look Mark, you've given them everything you've got to give, brother."

I said, "Let's take the penalty. Let's take our chances. I would rather you walk back to Kentucky instead of me taking you home in a body bag." I said, "You cannot give them anymore."

So we just went off to the side and we were willing to take the penalty, and we got over and I told Mark, I said, "Let's think about this. Let's get some water in you. Take your time. Let's get you settled down, and let's talk about this." Because my main concern was Mark's health. He was, like I said, he was...

Mark Jackson: I was hot!

William "Bopper" Minton: So we got over to the shade and sat down for a few minutes, and we really thought it out. I said, "You know, you want to give it another shot, Mark?" And he said, "Absolutely." So he went up there and aced it.

Mark Jackson: I didn't ace it but I went up there and did all that I could do.

William "Bopper" Minton: Well, I think you done well, but we just wanted to let everybody know that me and Mark, we don't quit nothing. We do not quit nothing, but when it comes to your friend's health, you have to re-evaluate stuff, you know? So, I was willing to take the pill for Mark's health.

Reality TV World: This week's episode showed Mark in bed prior to starting the leg. Mark, were you actually medically cleared to compete but you were worried you still might not be able to last or be strong enough to compete? Or was it the case where you were not medically cleared to compete and you guys were just waiting for the "Okay."

Mark Jackson: No, I was medically cleared. I just -- just like with Bopper's knee -- there was nothing in this world that would've stopped me from competing for that money.

William "Bopper" Minton: No.

Mark Jackson: I mean, you saw how I was on the show. I was still wobbly, still confused a little bit and everything.

Reality TV World: Mark, would you mind elaborating on what your condition really was? Was it a heat stroke, dehydration or a combination of things?

Mark Jackson: Well, it was the heat stroke, I got sick throwing up, and then the heat -- I just started sweating and everything and I just had a heat stroke. I got dizzy and blacked out a little bit. It was basically just a heat stroke.

Reality TV World: Is that why you struggled so much with the dance moves then or was the choreography just really difficult?

Mark Jackson: Well I was sick going over there. I was sick as a dog and the heat didn't make it no better. And when I got up there, I was doing the dance and got about 50% percent of the steps of the dance.

So I started on the first one and I was like, "Yeah, I got this. Let's go." And he said, "No, more." Then we started doing it again and by the second step, I was like, "Okay I got this. Let's go." And he said, "No, More," I said, "Listen man, I don't know if I got anything more, man."

I said, "I'm getting dizzy. I'm seeing double. I mean, I don't know if I got anymore." And then I stood over in that sun for probably two hours to where I was just stumbling back in to people. It was just ugly. I mean, that's when my partner said, "Mark it's over for you."

And I didn't want to believe him, but whenever he looked at me that last time, and he said, "Man you gotta quit," and I know Bopper has no quit in him and he knows I have no quit in me, but when he looked at me and said that, I know it must have been bad. I said, "You don't care?" And he was like, "No, I don't care, man. I'd rather you be healthy with your kids." And I was like, "Okay man, I'm done then."

Reality TV World: There has clearly been a lot of tension between Rachel R. and Brendon Villegas and Vanessa and Ralph Kelley. How much of that were you two aware of while you were racing with them? Did you think one team was more at fault for starting arguments than the other or would you say they both were equally responsible for causing drama?

Mark Jackson: It was nonsense. Everybody just wanted to pick on poor Rachel. And Vanessa, she picked on everybody -- not just Rachel. She picked on everybody.

William "Bopper" Minton: I can honestly say that Rachel, she's a good person. She literally is a good person. They may have had some stuff happen that we didn't see, you know, but as far as what we did see, Vanessa just did not like Rachel.

So we just stayed out of all the drama, we did. (Laughs) My kids are in school, so me and Mark wouldn't want to have our children watching us participate in any kind of drama on TV because we teach them not to do that stuff.

Reality TV World: How were you cast on The Amazing Race? Was it your first time applying for the show and would you ever consider doing an all-stars edition if you were given the opportunity?

William "Bopper" Minton: Well, we first applied for Season 12 and we had no phone calls then, so I guess we just didn't fit into that cast. So, four years later -- out of the blue -- they called us up and asked if we were still interested in doing the Race, and it took me about a half a second to say, "Yes."

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
Reading these interviews makes me love them even more. :hearts:

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »

Me too.  :hearts:

and it makes me dislike Art and JJ even more. I did not know that was possible.  :gaah:
Bring on the 21!

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
Wow. I didn't know these teams applied for older seasons.  :wohoo:

I like it when people who watch the Race are casted.  :hrt:

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »
There are some things that annoy me about them. 

All this stuff about setting an example for their children, same stuff we heard from the cousins I think, please shut up about it. You are on an entertainment show which is supposed to reflect what you think and feel and it isn't about who wants to appear the nicest.  Forget about projecting an image, just be yourselves. 

And finally they speak out about Vanessa.  Why couldn't they have done this on the show?  Oh because they just wanted to get along with everyone, in other words appear as the good guys who love everybody.  Well I suppose they never had a chance of winning (physically they couldn't compete) so being the 'nice guys'  was their role (could even get them on All Stars).  Even now they are trying to be nice about Art and JJ.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
I like it when people who watch the Race are casted.  :hrt:

Offline maxen

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
Sorry to read Mark lost his job.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
There are some things that annoy me about them. 

All this stuff about setting an example for their children, same stuff we heard from the cousins I think, please shut up about it. You are on an entertainment show which is supposed to reflect what you think and feel and it isn't about who wants to appear the nicest.  Forget about projecting an image, just be yourselves. 

And finally they speak out about Vanessa.  Why couldn't they have done this on the show?  Oh because they just wanted to get along with everyone, in other words appear as the good guys who love everybody.  Well I suppose they never had a chance of winning (physically they couldn't compete) so being the 'nice guys'  was their role (could even get them on All Stars).  Even now they are trying to be nice about Art and JJ.

Or maybe their children mean all the world to them and being proud of them is being theirselves. And maybe they know that the race can bring out the worst of people and think Art & JJ are still good guys. And perhaps being the nice guys who try to get along with everyone isn't a shtick and they really are nice guys who try to get along with everyone.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
Nobody gets along with everyone all the time, and I'm sure on that basis other people on the race are good guys too just that they don't keep their heads down and ignore things which they should confront while on the race.  They represent themselves and not their children or anyone else on the race, and I say that for all the others as well.  And how come in one of these interviews they say Art and JJ are really ok, and yet in another they are willing to bring up the intimidation aspect? 

They are the easy option for those who want to think there was only one nice team towards the end because that pretty much was the role they ended up having.  And looking back on it that's what they were telling us through the race, that they were great because they loved everyone and were the good guys.  Actually this team were one of my favourites in a way, but I don't think they are nearly as perfect as they are made out to be.  I found them funny at times when they toned down the God stuff and weren't acting hyper country hillbillys too much.  They would likely be in my top 5 of the season still.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:16:08 AM by starrynight »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/reality-tv-blogpost.aspx?post=79e183a2-ce61-4dd7-ac0d-1b6deaf4b0e5

'The Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Mark and Bopper
Proud Kentuckians talk unemployment, helping kids back home and naked promises

By Diane Vadino

Special to MSN TV

Best buddies Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton made up one of "The Amazing Race"'s most engaging teams in memory. They were funny, kind, devoted to each other, and resolute even in the face of the most challenging Bollywood dance. Despite powering through this week's tasks, the pair couldn't make up time lost during the previous episode -- and exited the race in fifth place. We spoke to the team -- a shoo-in for an All-Stars edition if ever there was one -- about going back to Kentucky, battling unemployment, and whether Art and J.J. will make good on that Pitstop promise to share their winnings.

MSN TV: What's it been like, coming home to this reception?

Bopper: It's meant the world to us. It's been absolutely overwhelming. Our county is so proud of us. We can't tell you how much we appreciate it. 

I found it really affecting, Bopper, when you said that being on the race had opened up your eyes to the world around you. 

Bopper: The place where we live is one of the poorest counties in the nation. We're just poor, simple folk. But I got to see first-hand what true poverty really is, and it made me appreciate everything I do have. We were just going down the road in India, and we walked past this man who had to walk on his knees. His feet were curled up behind his back, and this man was still working. His knees looked like elephants' feet. For us Americans, we're kind of spoiled here. He was severely disabled, and he was still working. I cried when I saw that, that was so touching.

I know you first applied for season 12, but were just cast this season. Do you have any idea why you made the cut this time around?

Bopper: I have no idea. I was just sitting here with my daughter, feeding her turtle, and there was a message from the race telling me to call them back. I called Mark, and he scurried over here, and we called them.

You guys talked candidly about living in poverty on the show.

Mark: We speak the truth. We don't bite our tongues. I lost my job when I got back. We did see poverty all over the world. The only difference between them and us is we live in the USA, and it shouldn't be like that here.

Did you get a big welcome-home party when you got back to Clay County?

Bopper: Nothing yet. We've just been going around to the schools, thanking the kids for their support. We talk about bullying with them. We just want everybody to know that our kids are the future no matter what. We have a terrible drug problem here. If you're 25, and you're doing drugs, you're an adult. But we've got to start with the kids. Me and Mark were saying that what we'd like to do is see if CBS can help us with the trip we won [for winning a leg]. We'd like to auction that trip off, to help some needy children here in Manchester [Ky.]. Me and Mark would take that trip, and it'd be over in five days.

Mark: Me and Bopper have been around each other enough. It's not fair for Bopper to go with his wife, or Mark to go with his girlfriend. Why not get rid of that trip?

Bopper: These kids really need shoes and shirts. They should go to school feeling proud, like other kids aren't going to make fun of them this year. We'd give 100 percent of the money to those kids.

J.J. and Art said they'd give part of their winnings to a fund for your daughter's health problems, Bopper. Did that actually happen?

Bopper: I'm not going to hold them to that, but they insist that when payday comes, they're definitely going to give my child a third of their winnings.

Mark, you said you lost your job when you returned from the race. How are you doing now?

Mark: It's a struggle. It was a shock. I never thought it would happen. I lost my job. I didn't lose all my bills.

Bopper: The job opportunities here are slim to none. You either have the coal mine or McDonald's. That's why we put our heart and soul into the race. CBS gave us the opportunity of a lifetime

Mark: We enjoyed it. We weren't running a hectic, scatterbrained race. We could never afford to do something like that, no matter how long we saved up.

When will we see you guys in All-Stars?

Mark: I'll tell you what, if they call us right now, and they're on call waiting, I'd hang up on you right now.

Bopper: I wouldn't even stop to pack a backpack. I'd just go naked.

"The Amazing Race" airs Sundays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.