Author Topic: TAR 20: Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton *Best Friends*  (Read 60013 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 20: Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton *Best Friends*
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

Name: Mark Jackson
Hometown: Manchester, Ky.
Connection to your teammate: Best friends

What skills do you have that will help you win The Race?
Don’t know but my heart will pull me through.
Three words to describe you: Loyal, outspoken and friendly.
Favorite hobbies: Golf, basketball and four wheeling.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Michael Jordan and Denzel Washington
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Patrick Swayze
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? My kids
What scares you most about traveling? Flying
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing different things.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together? Listening to each other.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He acts up too much. He doesn’t know when to stop.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Scotland—to see some of the first golf courses ever built.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? See the world.

Name: William “Bopper” Minton
Hometown: Manchester, Ky.
Connection to your teammate: Best friends
Current occupation: Motorcycle Mechanic
Describe what you do: I fix motorcycles and take care of my Mom and Dad.
How will these skills help you win The Race? I am good with my hands and it has made me a better person -- I think outside of the box.
Three words to describe you: Hyper, funny and exciting.
Favorite hobbies: Motorcycle riding, swimming and building bikes.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Jim Carey
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Tiger Woods
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? My child
What scares you most about traveling? Getting lost and high places.
What excites you most about traveling? I have not done much traveling so I am really excited about getting to do that.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together? For Mark to listen to me and realize that he is not always right.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He thinks he knows everything.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Germany, because I have friends there.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To better our friendship and to see the world together.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFOjEacEf_c?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gFOjEacEf_c?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:51:32 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 20: Mark Jackson and William "Bopper" Minton *Best Friends*
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:15 AM »
these is my favorite team these season

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
Uh oh, teams that you like are always eliminated early :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I love these guys. Any parent dealing with an ill child has my vote!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
I know he has an ill child and I respect his dream to be on the race to better his family's life. But this team may be a little too aggressive for my liking.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
I love these guys. Any parent dealing with an ill child has my vote!

This definitely! One of the many reasons why Amani & Marcus are one of my favourite teams of all time! :hearts: And these guys seem great as well!
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
They look nice and tough. This is also my favorite, but I'm not sure they will create much dramas
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:10:17 AM by georgiapeach »
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
^^^^That had better not be a spoiler.^^^^

Some people say these guys are retreads of Jet & Cord, but I disagree. If anything they're more like Ryan & Chuck, but they still aren't like them.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »
I get the "first boot" vibe from this team, just as I got from Ron & Bill, Ron & Tony, Avi & Joe... I don't know, that's just me...

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
I know he has an ill child and I respect his dream to be on the race to better his family's life. But this team may be a little too aggressive for my liking.

I think that's how I feel about this team. :duno:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
I like them!!! <3333333 I think is my favorite.
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline carlsbad_bolt_Fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
I want these guys to win. Probably the most genuine team I've seen since the cowboys (Jet & Cord and the Aussie's from TARA1). But, I'm just not sure how worldly wise they are.

ERamos

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 04:37:41 AM »
Mark & Bopper FTW  :hrt:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:48:44 AM by ERamos »

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »
But this team may be a little too aggressive for my liking.
True that . I have a feeling of f 6 for this team.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »
some writing from Kentucky media :

Clay Countians to compete on 'Amazing Race'
By Herald-Leader Staff Report
Posted: 12:00am on Jan 26, 2012

Two best friends from Manchester will be among the 11 teams competing on the next season of the sprint-around-the-world reality show The Amazing Race.

William "Bopper" Minton, 41, a motorcycle mechanic, and Mark Jackson, 45, a former inspector for the state agriculture department, are part of the 20th season of the eight-time Emmy-winning show, which premieres at 8 p.m. Feb. 19 on CBS.

For their official team photo, the men show off their Bluegrass State pride: Both are wearing University of Kentucky T-shirts.

Jackson made news earlier this year when he was among the people whom new state Agriculture Commissioner James Comer fired without cause.

Among the teams that Minton and Jackson will compete against are a pair of Border Patrol agents; federal agents; twins; divorced Texans; and last year's Big Brother winner, Rachel Reilly, and her fiancé and fellow houseguest, Brendon Villegas.

This season, teams will visit Paraguay and Azerbaijan while traveling through five continents and 22 cities and racking up nearly 40,000 miles.

Minton and Jackson come from a long line of Kentuckians competing on The Amazing Race. Previous seasons have featured former University of Louisville athletes Jen and Kisha Hoffman, who won their encore season last year; Gary and Mallory Ervin of Morganfield; David and Mary Conley of Pike County; and Dennis and Andrew Hyde of Richmond.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/25/2043064/clay-countians-to-compete-on-amazing.html#storylink=cpy

Related Stories
Ex-U of L stars win 'The Amazing Race'
'I'm tired,' says 'Amazing Race' winner
Kentucky duo get a second shot on 'Amazing Race'
Ex-Miss Ky. to compete on 'Amazing Race'
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:40 AM »
Mark and Bopper begin to reap the benefits of being a TAR celebrity.  :lol:

From Facebook:

Hey everybody - just 1 more week left to get your donkey basketball tickets $6.00. The game is next Thursday, Feb 9 at CCMS gym. First game starts at 7:00. Mark and Bopper from The Amazing Race are going to be playing. At half time, we'll have free donkey rides for all kids accompanied by a paying adult. It will be lots of fun.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:31 AM »
Oh yea, did I mention a Mike and Louie vibe?

I don't think they will make the F6. They seemed to be an early boot for me. (F7 - F8) :duno:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
I like them better after the premiere, believe it or not :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline ryanmissing27

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »
theyve been compared to all male teams from the past, i think their dynamic is almost identical to brook and claire, one overly enthusiastic, bopper, the other more reserved and seemingly along for the ride, mark. what really convinced me was when mark got the surprise sky dive in the roadblock, that is definitely something that would have happened to poor claire! haha she often had roadblock woes.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
Q&A: What's Life like Just Yards from a Kentucky Coal Plant?

'Amazing Race' Contestant William 'Bopper' Minton Talks About His Family's Life Near the B & W Resources Plant
By Lana Bandoim

Can you imagine fighting an endless stream of coal dust that permeates the air and watching it destroy your child's lungs? This is a daily reality for William "Bopper" Minton, a contestant on the current season of the "Amazing Race."

I had the opportunity to interview Bopper about his experience on the show and his ongoing struggle with the neighboring coal processing plant. The motorcycle mechanic from Manchester, Ky., lives 150 yards away from the B & W Resources Inc. tipple and has been documenting multiple violations at the coal processing plant.

Can you explain how you ended up living next to a coal processing plant?

Bopper: This was my grandfather's land, and he handed it down to my dad. I moved here at 12 years old. When I moved here, the plant was shut down and torn down. We never expected it to reopen again. About 9 years ago, they reopened it and made it even bigger. They basically bust up coal and load it on a train. The coal dust is intense. I got to give them some credit. They have done some work, but we just can't keep the coal dust out. It's too close for comfort. I can look out my kitchen window and see the plant.

How has having a coal plant as a neighbor affected your daughter's health?

Bopper: Madison has severe respiratory problems, and I've got the proof from doctors that it's caused by the coal dust. She's only 8 years old, but they have her on 7 different medications for asthma and allergies. She's had problems since she was a baby. At 6.5 months, she had a severe asthma attack and was hospitalized.

You mentioned that you are surrounded by coal dust. Can you describe your neighborhood and the impact that coal has had on its residents?

Bopper: We got the highway on one side and the processing plant on the other side. We're basically in the middle of a horseshoe and catching coal dust at every angle. There are only a couple of families in my neighborhood, so we're easy to ignore. We're poor people and up against a big coal company. They win.

My neighbor's dad died from lung cancer shortly after they opened up the processing plant. He never smoked. My whole family has lost their gallbladders. I do have some asthma, but I was a grown man before I was exposed to the coal dust. It's especially hard on children. That's why Madison is so sick. My neighbors have COPD and cancer. They don't smoke. Every day, we see huge plumes of coal dust from the plant and the trucks on the highway carrying the coal. I go outside and just touch the siding on my house, and my whole hand is covered in black dust. You can't get rid of it. It's everywhere.

How have people reacted to your appearance on the "Amazing Race"?

Bopper: Manchester is a small town. Everyone knows me. The show definitely helped me get more attention. I'm grateful for the opportunity they gave me to tell my story, but the processing plant ignores me. They know Madison is sick. Right now, all I get from them is silence.

What has been the result of your efforts to fight the coal processing plant?

Bopper: I've tried to speak to several lawyers here. Their families make money from coal, so they won't do anything. The EPA has been here. They agreed with the situation, but no one would do anything. I don't use coal as heat. I don't work in the coal plant. I see coal dust on my house and in my house. It's dust leaving the permitted area of the plant. Nobody wants to hear it. People feel threatened.

Why have you not been able to relocate?

Bopper: Who is going to buy my place? Everyone knows about the coal dust. I'm stuck here. I can't afford to move, and I can't sell it. I want to move. I know what it's doing to us, but I just can't do it.

What would you like B&W Resources Inc. to do?

Bopper: It's fixable, but they won't fix it. The fix is just to relocate the plant or relocate the families who live next to it.

You have captured multiple videos of violations at the plant. What has been the response to this evidence?

Bopper: I have the videos and a Facebook page, but the biggest problem is the state inspectors doing nothing. The inspectors look at the violations but won't write it up. Everything is corrupted. I've seen them come out here, and they won't do anything.

What do you plan to do next?

Bopper: The plant's permit is up for renewal. We're going to protest and keep fighting.

http://news.yahoo.com/q-whats-life-just-yards-kentucky-coal-plant-235500018.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
Even thought I found him a bit annoying, I would not mind one bit if they win. They are very deserving and even if they don't win I hope someone helps them relocate. Good luck to them!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
My new a avatar tells it all,go Jet and Cord Kentucky version!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »
They are actually not that bad and cracked me up sometimes. :lol:

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Ok I find them REALLY annoying. Worst than those cowboys. And they seem to be the producer's favourite :groan:

(sorry Declive :lol:)

Offline maxen

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »
I tried to like them the first episode ... now i have to agree 100% with Flamant.