Author Topic: TAR 20: Brendon Villegas and Rachel Reilly *Engaged*  (Read 100167 times)

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 20: Brendon Villegas and Rachel Reilly *Engaged*
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
Omg, I'm now totally Brenchel fan too :tup: I haven't seen them in Big Brother so I don't know if they are different from that. But you gotta love Rachel's breakdowns <3

Offline choroneko

• RFF Full Member
  • It's super effective!
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
I was wondering why Rachel always says Brendon is her best friend. Aren't they engaged? :o

Many couples are bestfriends and lovers. It just means you are very close to each other. Just like my parents.
Choroneko used Splash
Natalie & Nadiya | Jaymes & James | Abba & James

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »
“THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL” CELEBRATES 25 YEARS ON THE AIR, MONDAY, MARCH 26, ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

Throughout its long history, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL has been the platform for now well-known stars, such as Jennifer Finnigan, Usher, Kellan Lutz, Gilles Marini, Michael Clarke Duncan, Vanessa Minnillo and Lindsay Price, to break into show business. Additionally, many of Hollywood's most famous names have made appearances on the show, including recent long-term recurring roles for Phyllis Diller, Patrick Duffy, Betty White and “Big Brother” and “The Amazing Race” stars Rachel Reilly and Brendon Villegas.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=30968

The episode they were in was just LOL! I still have it recorded! :lol3:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:10 AM »

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2012, 04:04:32 AM »

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
If that image was a little smaller, it would make a funny avatar! :lol:

That fall was GOLD!!! :lol3:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
Brendon falling down <333333333
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »

Cool! :colors

Are you gonna use it for an avatar Kandace, or can I use it (once I can get rid of my current one :lol: )!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »

Cool! :colors

Are you gonna use it for an avatar Kandace, or can I use it (once I can get rid of my current one :lol: )!

You can use it! I have another Rachel one <3 :lol:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:34:55 PM by Kandace »

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
I really like this team, especially Rachel. She's rock! :jam: But, the weird thing is I don't want them to win the race. I don't know why, though. :duno:

TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

addie

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »
I really like this team, especially Rachel. She's rock! :jam: But, the weird thing is I don't want them to win the race. I don't know why, though. :duno:
Maby because they already have won a half million dollars :duno:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »
My avatar sums up my feelings for rachel
Bring on the 21!

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
I loved Rachel on Big Brother last year and I still like her now.  :)  Yeh they have arguments but it's a funny over the top way (same with Vanessa and Ralph really).

Offline Bluesky

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
Has it occurred to anyone that Brendon and Rachel - especially Rachel - are totally playing to the camera and the TV audience? That from BB and watching TAR they know very well that drama - real or false - is what gets a team airtime? And they've figured out that even if they don't win, the more face time and notoriety they achieve, the more they will be able to parley that face time into other projects later? EXACTLY how they are now here after BB!

Just think about how, despite the supposed breakdowns and arguments, they keep competently moving through the tasks. Think about how others have commented on the breakdowns having no apparent cause. That's because they aren't real. They are playing a game within a game!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »
:bigwelcome to RFF, bluesky! I've never thought about that before.... I think most of the time she is crying it is forced.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »
Has it occurred to anyone that Brendon and Rachel - especially Rachel - are totally playing to the camera and the TV audience? That from BB and watching TAR they know very well that drama - real or false - is what gets a team airtime? And they've figured out that even if they don't win, the more face time and notoriety they achieve, the more they will be able to parley that face time into other projects later? EXACTLY how they are now here after BB!

Just think about how, despite the supposed breakdowns and arguments, they keep competently moving through the tasks. Think about how others have commented on the breakdowns having no apparent cause. That's because they aren't real. They are playing a game within a game!

Great post!  Absolutely agree and it's not just all the inter/intra team drama and meltdowns with the fake crying, it's a lot of Rachel's dumb comments too.  Her comment last week about not knowing what a beard is, come on she's almost 30 years old.  She may not be smartest person in the race, but she's not that dumb.  Keep an eye out for Rachel's subtle, or not so subtle tell...when she starts crying or after she says something dumb, you will almost always see her looking to the camera.  I really try to like them and look for the good, but it's hard sometimes when just about everything they say or do seems so contrived. 

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »
When Rachel was sent to the Jury in BB12, I remember one of the jurors (Ragan?) commented on how Rachel was different when the cameras were on. They commented that she was "mousey" (or something like that) in the Jury House. I would guess that she plays for the camera... But I still like her regardless. :neener: She's a super fierce competitor.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2012, 05:06:38 AM »
The problem I have with this criticism on 'reality' shows is that everyone on them tends to be aware of the cameras, particularly if the cameramen are right in your face most of the time.  So all of them to an extent say things or do things for the cameras, and will be encouraged to do so by the producers.  And in the HLs they will obviously pick out the moments they think are funniest and most entertaining.  There isn't a live stream like on Big Brother where you would see more sides of somebody. 

I don't mind that as it is an entertainment show after all.  It's just that some are better at it, and so more entertaining arguably, than others.  I think Rachel is quite entertaining, and the dynamic between her and Brendan is quite funny.  That doesn't mean it's all fake of course, just that people tend to exaggerate parts of themselves on reality shows.  If you don't mind that you probably like these kind of shows more, if you don't like it then you probably don't like them so much imo.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:11:54 AM by starrynight »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
They've definitely delivered.  They've been hilarious, but also strong competitors. They've delivered the crazy drama, but have also been great when calm and just enjoying the Race.

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
FYI....

Brendon and Rachel has a full page layout with an article on page 40 of the April 2-8 issue of TV Guide.

The article was good!

Maybe somebody can scan it and post it here?

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
Interesting article about Brendon.....

UCLA doctoral student Brendon Villegas competes on CBS's reality TV show “The Amazing Race”

Brendon Villegas and his teammate, Rachel Reilly, arrived in Paraguay hours after the first half of their group.

Their first task seemed impossible: to stack nearly 300 watermelons into a pyramid.

Instead, they did the alternative task that was offered to them: dancing while balancing bottles on their heads. They completed it.

From what seemed like a fight for last place, they became the second team to finish the leg of the race.

Villegas, a UCLA doctoral student in biomedical physics, participated in the event as a contestant on the 20th season of “The Amazing Race,” which is currently showing on CBS.

In “The Amazing Race,” contestants compete in teams of two in a fast-paced journey around the world. To prevent elimination and win the race, contestants complete various tasks based on the culture of each country they visit.

This is not the first time Villegas has appeared on television. He is also well-known for being on CBS’s “Big Brother” in 2010 and 2011, another reality TV show where contestants live in a house together and compete to avoid eviction.

Despite the television fame, working for his doctorate is still Villegas’ priority. Villegas’ research focuses on using positron emission tomography imaging to look into the fundamental causes of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, which may have similarities with how cells malfunction and turn into cancer cells.

“I really do want to be taken seriously as a scientist,” he said.

Science has always been his passion, he said. When he was young, Villegas played with chemistry sets. Now, during his spare time, in addition to participating in multiple sports, he reads biographies of famous scientists such as Albert Einstein.

Villegas said he decided to take time from his doctorate to participate in “The Amazing Race” partly for the opportunity to win money, but also for the chance to travel.

“It’s just a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Villegas said.

Reilly, Villegas’ teammate on “The Amazing Race,” is also his fiancee. They both appeared on the 12th and 13th seasons of “Big Brother.”

Reilly won the 13th season of “Big Brother,” and after she won, CBS asked the couple to appear on “The Amazing Race.”

Villegas said he hesitated at first, knowing that the one month needed to film the show meant one month taken away from completing his doctorate studies at UCLA. But his adviser for his dissertation, Jorge Barrio, encouraged Villegas to participate in “The Amazing Race.”

“Experiences students have outside of the laboratory environment are very important to broaden their scope,” Barrio said. “It is really important to open up and understand what the world is. I think this is a terrific experience for (Villegas).”

Competing in “The Amazing Race” was more stressful than he thought it would be, Villegas said. Villegas and Reilly often ran on four hours of sleep. Sometimes they didn’t know when they would have time to eat, so they filled up on the crackers given on airplanes.

But the overall experience was worth it, he said.

Michael McNitt-Gray, director of the UCLA biomedical physics graduate program, has known Villegas for three years. Even though Villegas has spent a lot of time on multiple reality TV shows, he is a very dedicated student, McNitt-Gray said.

Before becoming a doctoral candidate, Villegas had worked 20 jobs since turning 16, including helping his father with his job as a bricklayer. The job taught him the value of hard work, and made him appreciate his educational opportunities, he said. It also strengthened his desire to become a scientist.

One reason he chose to study biomedical physics was the opportunity he could have to help cancer patients, Villegas said. Cancer has personally affected Villegas’ life: his uncle passed away from Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and his grandmother passed away from a brain tumor five years ago.

“Watching my grandma go through that was hard,” Villegas said. “That’s when it really hit home with me – cancer is indiscriminate, nobody’s safe.”

After completing his doctorate, Villegas said he hopes to continue his research and possibly work at a center for cancer patients, like the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Villegas said he was lucky to be on reality television, but he does not want to make it more important than his dedication to science.

“When I’m gone, I want to leave something,” Villegas said. “If I can help improve healthcare, science, medicine, or anything before I die, that’s what I want to do.”

http://www.dailybruin.com/index.php/article/2012/04/ucla_doctoral_student_brendon_villegas_competes_on_cbs039s_reality_tv_show_the_amazing_race

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »
Nice article on Brendon, but you can tell how much the author knows about Amazing Race 20 by the statement on the alternative to the watermelon stacking in Asuncion as the bottle dance. Any of us knows that the first was a DETOUR and the second a separate ROADBLOCK.

Offline bc922

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Big-Brothers-Brendon-Rachel-1045728.aspx

Big Brother's Brendon and Rachel Dish The Amazing Race
Apr 6, 2012 12:04 PM ET
by Michael Logan

They're back, bitches! Former Big Brother faves Rachel Reilly and fiancé Brendon Villegas are now kicking up the dust — and kicking some ass — on CBS' The Amazing Race. On Sunday's episode the teams travel to Tanzania where they train with Masai warriors. Will the lovebirds triumph and remain in the game? More important, will Rachel cry?

TV Guide Magazine: You both did two seasons of Big Brother. What's tougher, sitting around the pool yapping all summer or running across the globe?
Reilly: Big Brother is a mental and social game where everyone else is the enemy. Amazing Race is harder because it's physical. Your biggest enemy is yourself.
Villegas: When you watch Race at home you think, "Why are they so stressed?" I'll tell you why. You can't sleep, the time changes kill you, and the international food really does a number. And I'm one of those people who does not poop in strange places. Or on planes.
Reilly: I won't even stop to pee. One season a team lost by doing that.

TV Guide Magazine: But you do stop for crying jags in nearly every episode! What's up with that?
Reilly: I know, I know! I've been crying a lot on this race. It's my way to relieve stress. You have no idea how frustrating that salami-tasting challenge was! [Laughs] Hey, you try taking an 18-hour bus ride out of Argentina. You'd cry, too!

TV Guide Magazine: Things got so bad at one point that it looked like you two were going to get disengaged.
Villegas: Even when we fight we still have each other's backs. Italy was our toughest leg. We thought we were so close to going home and it really got the best of us. [Laughs] Me, I don't break down because when Rachel's crying, we both can't be crying. But if she ever gave me the chance, I would!

TV Guide Magazine: Rachel, in the beard-styling challenge did you actually say "I don't know what a beard is"?
Reilly: [Laughs] Well...yes.

TV Guide Magazine: Care to explain?
Reilly: Well, obviously I know what a beard is. I don't know what made me say that. I don't even remember saying it but, sure enough, I watched the episode and there it was. I guess my brain just stopped.

TV Guide Magazine: You also seemed to think you were in Bolivia when you were actually in Bavaria.
Reilly: Brendon kept asking me, "Do you even know what show you're on?"

TV Guide Magazine: Brendon, you're going for a PhD in neuroscience. Isn't all this reality TV getting in the way?
Villegas: I keep telling Rachel that every show she wants us to do sets me back a year. At this rate, I'll be graduating in 2022!
Reilly: Don't listen to him. He's a genius!

TV Guide Magazine: The girls are always talking smack about Rachel, especially that Vanessa. What's their beef?
Villegas: They use Big Brother as an excuse not to like her. Because Rachel won [BB13] they think we're millionaires. She won half a million. [Laughs] And after California taxes, that's not much!
Reilly: I'm just too bright and bubbly for them. And they don't like my outfits. Clearly, they're sequin haters.