Author Topic: TAR 20: What can we expect?  (Read 26256 times)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 20: What can we expect?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
I think we're pretty much all expecting an east coast start, heading to Europe first, possibly Latin America.

We are? That's news to me. It might be right, but I haven't heard any reasons why it will happen.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 02:07:54 AM »
I think we're pretty much all expecting an east coast start, heading to Europe first, possibly Latin America.

We are? That's news to me. It might be right, but I haven't heard any reasons why it will happen.

News to me too. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

News to me too. :lol:

"Pretty much expecting" is a too strong of an expression. Hope should be a better way to take it.

Production wise it would be easier for producers to just repeat LA as start city once again. I sense a lot of fans are hoping (maybe expecing) a change for TAR20, after so many cycles starting in LA, maybe TAR20 will start in the East Coast.

Personally I speculate LA again if they keep with the West Coast start city, as someone pointed elsewhere, the staff there must already be used to it.
However, if a East Coast city is to happen, NYC seems to be a possible location for the start city, as would fit well, with NYC being the end city for TAR1.

Offline amazinglatinoamericafan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
i will like to see nyc the final leg of the race and the first to new zeland  :colors

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
Regarding contestants, how about Jaime and Erik Huffman from Survivor China?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline alittlebird

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Heavily recruited?  Really?  Hmm.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Maybe heavily recruited is the incorrect term, but most (some?) didn't get selected by auditioning at their local CBS affiliate in smalltown (Saugus) USA.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:44:07 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 08:25:47 AM »

I am a purist...I would like in an ideal world to see our TAR contestants all come from a pool of people who know and love the show, not those who only get exposed to TAR in a sequester video marathon. I like best "regular" people who APPLY.

But after watching and loving teams like Amani and Marcus, and the SnowBoarders, "recruited" is not the dirty word it used to be to me...casting has had some major successes by going outside the normal applicant box.

And I have no idea how this cast will end up balancing out between applied vs recruited of course.

But I still consider multiple "blind" emails reaching out to (semi) celebrities and people on social media re "would you like to" and "looking for" to be heavily recruiting...so yes.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
What about that spoilers saying that we would have a Husbands and Wives edition? It was false?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »
Superfans don't usually make for great tv, and in fact they are one of the biggest threats to keeping the show fresh and exciting. Superfans are less likely to make big moves like U-turning other teams because they don't want to upset the fans, they are able to anticipate everything that's about to happen so there are fewer genuinely surprised reactions to the different twists of the race, and they are predictably predictable. That's good for them as far as their odds of winning, but cautious and sensible superfans are more likely to talk about memorable moments by others on the race than make their own, and will probably be preoccupied with trying to make it onto the next all stars season.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
Superfans don't usually make for great tv, and in fact they are one of the biggest threats to keeping the show fresh and exciting. Superfans are less likely to make big moves like U-turning other teams because they don't want to upset the fans, they are able to anticipate everything that's about to happen so there are fewer genuinely surprised reactions to the different twists of the race, and they are predictably predictable. That's good for them as far as their odds of winning, but cautious and sensible superfans are more likely to talk about memorable moments by others on the race than make their own, and will probably be preoccupied with trying to make it onto the next all stars season.

Hear ye, hear ye! :hoot:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 04:36:44 AM »

Sounds like Dan and Jordan... who were always talking about all the strategic moves they won't make. :lol:

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 07:45:53 AM »
What can we expect?

1. Another starting line task, as I can understand the need to make it more interesting than just have teams drive from the starting line to LAX.

2. Fewer first-time visits to countries, as season 19 had quite a few.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
What can we expect?

1. Another starting line task, as I can understand the need to make it more interesting than just have teams drive from the starting line to LAX.

Well of the three countries we know for sure, only one is new.. But I agree, we probably won't see them visit as many as last season.

Offline Charlie90

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
What can we expect?

Well of the three countries we know for sure, only one is new.. But I agree, we probably won't see them visit as many as last season.

I hope we have at least another two new countries..for a total of 3. Maybe one in Europe and another in Asia.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Hmmmm. Getting some new info that the recruited semi-celebrity-ish teams could maybe be for TAR 21?? :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »
I was expecting Switchback task in Argentina: meat-eating challenge  :wohoo: Is that possible?

I'm new here, anyway
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34:51 AM »
I was expecting Switchback task in Argentina: meat-eating challenge  :wohoo: Is that possible?

I'm new here, anyway

Welcome, Theodorus!!! :welcome2: :bigwelcome :welcome: :hello2: :wel2

I would love to see that task as well - it is one of my personal favourites :hearts: - but I'm not sure whether or not they were in the correct part of Argentina to do it on this season. Maybe someone else can provide better info? :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 04:40:27 AM »
Thank you so much. I never had a greeting as merry as that :lol:

TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 04:42:28 AM »
:lol: I don't often get the chance to be the first person to greet, so I thought I'd make the most of it! :lol:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Hmmmm. Getting some new info that the recruited semi-celebrity-ish teams could maybe be for TAR 21?? :duno:
:cmas18

:cmas18  :cmas18
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 06:10:07 AM »

I'm new here, anyway

WELCOME, Theodorus!!!

That Roadblock was in Mendoza, and TAR hardly ever visits twice places that aren't the Capital City of a country. That said, and knowing how big Argentina is, I don't think they would go again to Camping Suizo and make the same Roadblock in the same place. But the same Roadblock in another place? I think that *could* be possible.

I agree with you and racer that it was quite an epic Roadblock with all that 4-hour penalties applied, but I'm not sure if Mendoza could be home for a second leg in that city. Pure spec, of course.

DavidJunior

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
The meat dish isn't exclusive to JUST Mendoza people...

I personally could see them doing it this year.  Honestly, I was surprised that they didn't do it when they visited Argentina last time (S16)... I felt that would've been a perfect opportunity (and then we wouldn't have had to deal with the lame lasso Roadblock...)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
Mendoza is a long way north of San Carlos de Bariloche and Mendoza is a long way south of Salta. I like the hypothesis that transfers the 4 pounds meat eating challenge elsewhere, possibly in the Salta area or the exurbs of Buenos Aires (like La Invernada where a different sort of task prevailed in AR5, episode 2).

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 05:13:26 AM »
Here's something interesting: An interview with a Yale Professor of Law where she claims that she was asked to appear on The Amazing Race with her daughter, an offer which she declined.

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecareerist/2012/01/amy-chuas-career.html

Don't tell me you're going back to a quiet academic life. I feel we all know your family—Sophia, Lulu, Jed, and Coco and Push [the family dogs]. I mean, you're the Kardashians of the legal world! There must a reality show in the works, no?
Ha! Sophia and I were asked to be part of The Amazing Race. No, we're not doing it.