Author Topic: TAR 19 EP 11 "We Are Charlie Chaplin" (Panama City, Panama)  (Read 79398 times)

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Re: TAR 19 EP 11 "We Are Charlie Chaplin" (Panama City, Panama)
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
I was wondering if the Tintin task was related to the Steven Spielburg movie that either has just or is about to be released. I was half-expecting a reference to the film (as TAR 9 did with the DaVinci Code).

So I was surprised about the lack of mention. I will say the producers did manage to find an actor/model who could look just like Tintin, but I'm still not sure if it really had anything to do with Brussels or with Belgium. But that was a good middle-of-the-night task that slowed down the teams to a preferred flight to Panama (after the train) and gave Phil and Bert more time to get to Panama ahead of the teams.

As was already mentioned, Tintin's creator is from Belgium.  And btw, I loved the task since I would've probably recognized the Tintin photo and figured out who I was supposed to be if I was on the Race -- though if I was running on not enough sleep, that might be harder.

Belle Book

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
But that was a good middle-of-the-night task that slowed down the teams to a preferred flight to Panama (after the train) and gave Phil and Bert more time to get to Panama ahead of the teams.

That task had no impact whatsoever on teams' ability to get to Amsterdam Schiphol airport in time for an early afternoon flight because it was a 4 to 5 am task lasting probably less than 1 hour. It also did not help Phil and Bertram to get ahead to Panama. I checked flights from Brussels (none) and from Paris-CDG (none) so the once a day flight from AMS to PTY was the only alternative. It would have been almost impossible (only way extended pit stop of preceding that leg) for Phil to complete his pit stop check-ins for leg 10 well before noon because the train from Cologne arrived at 935am and several hundred kilometers of driving to Lommel and then to Ghent and its environs and finally back to Brussels were required. 

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
What facebook pace? I haven't seened anything!

It's just that (almost) everyone on facebook says that Andy & Tommy lost because other teams cheated (or something like that), just like what happened with Jet & Cord last season

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »
But that was a good middle-of-the-night task that slowed down the teams to a preferred flight to Panama (after the train) and gave Phil and Bert more time to get to Panama ahead of the teams.

That task had no impact whatsoever on teams' ability to get to Amsterdam Schiphol airport in time for an early afternoon flight because it was a 4 to 5 am task lasting probably less than 1 hour. It also did not help Phil and Bertram to get ahead to Panama. I checked flights from Brussels (none) and from Paris-CDG (none) so the once a day flight from AMS to PTY was the only alternative. It would have been almost impossible (only way extended pit stop of preceding that leg) for Phil to complete his pit stop check-ins for leg 10 well before noon because the train from Cologne arrived at 935am and several hundred kilometers of driving to Lommel and then to Ghent and its environs and finally back to Brussels were required. 

What about Frankfurt? or other cities that the Racers did not use? TPTB don't have to limit themselves the way they can limit the Racers, which they apparently did. And the length of the pitstop isn't clear, although using July 7th, Weather Underground indicates that sunset was about 9:56 pm CEST, twilight was until almost midnight, and sunrise was about 5:36 a, CEST. And we know from the video that teams were arriving that late at the Atomium.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »

It's just that (almost) everyone on facebook says that Andy & Tommy lost because other teams cheated (or something like that), just like what happened with Jet & Cord last season

Read the Interviews. That is NOT what A/T say.:tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »

Read the Interviews. That is NOT what A/T say.:tup:

Yes... I know :lol: Nobody cheated. I was just telling what the facebook people were saying :lol:

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
i heard that the tin tin task was the other half of the speedo detour, which is why in all of the "preview texts", cbs kept on mentioning the speedo task as a detour.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »
i heard that the tin tin task was the other half of the speedo detour, which is why in all of the "preview texts", cbs kept on mentioning the speedo task as a detour.

But they weren't even on the same leg. :duno:

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
that's true but from what ive heard, the tin tin task was an option but since everyone chose and finished the speedo task, cbs "kept" it to use for this leg and portray them both as regular tasks or else the press release wouldn't have said "speedo detour".

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »
The racers had the clue of the detour, meaning they would have read that clue. I don't think producers would put them that clue again just because "cbs kept it".

The press release said speedo detour because it WAS a detour.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
that's true but from what ive heard, the tin tin task was an option but since everyone chose and finished the speedo task, cbs "kept" it to use for this leg and portray them both as regular tasks or else the press release wouldn't have said "speedo detour".

I suppose it's possible that the Tin Tin movie producers paid TAR to include a Tin Tin task to promote their movie. The TAR producers put it in as detour option and nobody chose it. So, the TAR producers quickly decided to stick it in at the beginning of the next leg as a route info task in order to make the Tin Tin people happy. It really had no effect on the leg since they all bunched up together at the airport anyway.

The only problem I have with this scenario is figuring out why all the teams would choose the Speedos over the Tin Tin task. The Tin Tin task looks at least as fast or faster than the Speedos and you wouldn't have to flaunt your bodies to the world.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:04:46 AM by Plaidmoon »

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 03:52:16 AM »
I was surprised to see the text instructing teams on exactly who had to perform the Roadblock in Panama. I always assumed that they printed all the clues in the US and just brought them along with them, but they must have printed some in Panama (unless they were shipped quickly from the US).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:25 AM »
They have done this the last few times, being sure that the RB's were balanced going into the finale. Good point on the printing. They usually stay in large well equipped hotels, prob getting something printed or overnight expressed would be easy.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
Oh come on, the production folks likely have printers with them if for no other reason than to use them to print those sheets in case of last minute changes in the legs and tasks. If they're telling teams who has to do the last roadblock, it's an 50-50 as to whether they're making an on the spot change or not. And even if a substitute clue has foreign alphabets in the clue, both Miscrosoft Word and Corel Word Perfect have ways to insert such characters in a document. (Corel WP even has Arabic, Hebrew, and other non-Western character sets.)

And portable printers are not that bulky or heavy, either.

And I keep track of the roadblock breakdown during each leg, and the teams have gotten to a 50-50 spilt of the roadblock a couple of weeks before Panama. All Panama does is absolutely confirm that the Bowling Moms rule, as modified for a 13th roadblock, is alive and well.
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
Episode 3 Winners' Curse works again! :cmas16
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline lamek

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »
long time reader, first time responder. =)
i feel like this has to be said though.
no one cheated to get into the final three, but boy, was it unfair.  in the end there is no way to find out who would've made it to the finals after figuring it out on their own, and i guess there have been unfair situations in the past [rob and amber getting help from every local ever, for one. or bad cab drivers for another. or remember those brothers whose car flipped over and injured their camera man?] those all sucked. but in the end, andy and tommy lost because of something that wasn't their fault, or a mistake they made. yeah, they went to the wrong place, but two other teams were going to do that. and no one asked the cab driver to call ernie/cindy or marcus/amani's cab drivers on the race, which makes me mad because there's no one in particular for me to be mad at [at least when the cowboys lost, i was angry that those stupid brothers who did win were such assholes]. so i don't think the elimination was fair, but at the same time, there's no way to make it fair, and i felt like a lot of posts were about how andy/tommy messed up, but i didn't think that was even true.
for the record, i did not want andy/tommy to win, and they are not my favorite team, so i think that this is the logical way to look at it, and generally, opinions get in the way of viewing the race as fair or not.

sorry for preaching, hope this makes sense and it's a respectful evaluation. =)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
:welcome: to RFF lamek!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »
I don't think it was unfair... maybe unfortunate and unlucky, but not unfair. Besides, A/T got their big share of good luck winning three prizes because other teams messed up. That's the race, that's the game.

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
speaking of the tin tin task; everyone chose the speedos bc the tin tin clue was very vague and could have been difficult. from what i was told, it said something along the lines of "dress up as a comic character and solve a missing person case".

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
The only problem I have with this scenario is figuring out why all the teams would choose the Speedos over the Tin Tin task. The Tin Tin task looks at least as fast or faster than the Speedos and you wouldn't have to flaunt your bodies to the world.

It's not that hard to believe. They didn't know when choosing it that it involved changing into those getups. Since everyone was there teams were wary of changing back and leaving to do another unknown thing by themselves.
Also, I don't think it was as hard as they made it seem like. Bill and Cathi were the last to leave and they didn't lose that much time.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
speaking of the tin tin task; everyone chose the speedos bc the tin tin clue was very vague and could have been difficult. from what i was told, it said something along the lines of "dress up as a comic character and solve a missing person case".

OK, if the clue was that vague, I can see why teams would have chosen the more specifically described Speedo task.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
The only thing I feel strange in this episode is that so many Belgians don't seem to know who Tintin is. :cmas18
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Tobertz

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Yellow Team!
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »

I think everything happens for a reason, there are a lot of twists in the race... Being in front and far away from the pack to reach pit stop is risky: it's either you win first place for getting the pit stop direction right or lose as teams behind get to see/help each other and luckily they did thru a cab driver... The three teams in the finals makes the TAR 19 winner so unpredictable, if A/T were there, other teams have very slim chance of winning.
I wanna rip a TAR clue envelope someday, =)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
if A/T were there, other teams have very slim chance of winning.

I disagree with that statement because anyone can win and many unexpected teams do win Amazing Race finales. Just look at last season and go back to how few predicted LaKeisha and Jennifer as the winners. Same with AR5 and Chip/Kim getting a major upset victory. Taxi drivers' knowledge of the area becomes so critical. Witness the cab driver in Maui torpedoing the chances of Cara and Jaime in AR14, who otherwise would probably have won. Witness the not-telecast winning taxi ride between Oakland International Airport and the Grateful Dead House in San Francisco for Eric and Danielle in AR11. I'm sure there are more examples; these are the ones that are easiest to remember.

So, that means that Andy and Tommy if they had made the F3 would have have a minor advantage, but not more. I estimate they would have had a 40% chance of winning AR19 vs. perhaps 30% each for 2 other teams.

And for the record, I think it is absolutely even for the three F3 teams. Normally in most races that are not Amazing Races the edge would go to Marcus and Amani since they live in the Atlanta area. However, the curse of the home field advantage is well known in Amazing Race finales (Frank and Margaretta in AR1, Wil in AR2, Jill and Thomas in AR17). To the best of my knowledge, the only team with a home field advantage that has ever won an Amazing Race were Nat and Kat. When they won, Nat was practicing in Scottsdale AZ but formerly from the Los Angeles and Kat was from the Los Angeles area so from my point of view that qualified for a home field advantage. 

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »
I don't know if this the correct thread to ask this but does anyone know how to edit a wikipedia article?
Because the TAR 19 wikipedia article states that the title quote for this episode was said by Andy, when it was clearly Tommy who said it. We heard it for the first time as they were in a taxi on their way to find TinTin.
There is another crucial mistake in the article and it's in Leg 5 Thailand. It says that the RB took place in Wat Chalong but in reality was Wat Chanathikaram.