Author Topic: EP 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 27923 times)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 9 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
The lack of Bill & Cathi's confessional at the Atomium makes me think they don't make it :(
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

jiajia12

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »
Lol at them going to Panamas

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
Next week: trash talk, racing, no sign of BC...
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Next week on The Amazing Race...

The race continues in Belgium.

The trash talk heats up. It seems like Andy & Tommy are barely ahead of Marcus & Amani at this point.

Teams go full throttle. They're driving like crazy on this race course.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »
I'm not surprised that it was a TBC leg.  I figured it would be one.

I'm glad the concern over Ernie & Cindy's tickets were much ado about nothing.

I just noticed no sign of Bill & Cathi in the promos for the next leg.  Not a good sign for them.

Belle Book

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
A zero hour pitstop saves this leg from being terrible due to an end of leg equalizer. Bill & Cathi will probably be saved here because if they weren't, they would have just shown it in this episode, and it is about time for a Non-elimination leg. But then again, they weren't shown in the previews.  :ascared But on the other hand, if they showed all five teams in the previews, there wouldn't be any suspense.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
Term correction, this is not a TBC, it's a KRL (keep-racing leg).
The story so far:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
Term correction, this is not a TBC, it's a KRL (keep-racing leg).

What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing. :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »
The new version of TBC includes a pit stop that is called a pit stop and a first place prize. Originally they just went to a random place and got a clue from Phil. Sometimes they didn't know he would be there.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
The lack of Bill & Cathi's confessional at the Atomium makes me think they don't make it :(

It seems that way :'(
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »
Leg 9 is a normal leg, but with no rest period. (Teams are warned that a last place team may be eliminated, Phil checks in the teams, and a prize for the first place team is announced) but there is no rest period. The TBC legs might have had Phil at the mid point, but there was no clue directing them to a "pit stop" and warning that a last place team may be eliminated; teams did get a clue to "just keep racing."

Also, all teams now have a 5-5 spilt on the roadblocks for the season to date. With three legs left, this implies this may be a season where a 7-6 Roadblock split may be permitted, or there is a leg remaining with no roadblock.
-- theschnauzers

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

It seems that way :'(

They've been my favorite ever since... that muscle task really screwed them...  :'( :'( :'(
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »
Leg 9 is a normal leg, but with no rest period. (Teams are warned that a last place team may be eliminated, Phil checks in the teams, and a prize for the first place team is announced) but there is no rest period. The TBC legs might have had Phil at the mid point, but there was no clue directing them to a "pit stop" and warning that a last place team may be eliminated; teams did get a clue to "just keep racing."

Also, all teams now have a 5-5 spilt on the roadblocks for the season to date. With three legs left, this implies this may be a season where a 7-6 Roadblock split may be permitted, or there is a leg remaining with no roadblock.

So...two roadblocks on the finale again?
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

So...two roadblocks on the finale again?

There was a leg with two roadblocks, the second leg in Phuket.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
By any chance, will Phil eliminate the last team on the mat for this leg? He said the the next leg happens RIGHT NOW, making it a zero-hour pitstop.

Last time we had it in S18, Phil's words were:
"You can enjoy that after the race, but right now you are still racing, here's your next clue."

In S14:
"This leg is not yet over you are still racing, here's your next clue."

... which might explain the lack of Bill and Cathi in the Previews. BUT HECK, IF THEY DO ELIMINATE A TEAM AT THE START, WORST TWIST EVER. Gloomy start.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
Is there a chance E/C will get a penalty for taking the train without a ticket? Just because no one checks, doesn't make it legal.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
The fact that there was already a two-roadblock leg doesn't rule out another such leg, but there hasn't been a Race with two "regular" legs with two roadblocks.

There's nothing precluding an elimination at the pit stop preceding a no rest period break into the following leg, but we haven't had that happen with the previous no rest period legs, and by definition, it would not have happened with a TBC leg. We still have one more NEL leg left, so leg 9 (which is the one we're in the middle of) could fit that.

The thing about Ernie and Cindy is that they did buy a train ticket, but they lost it at the train station. It's not like to stole a ride on the train to Brussels. But I have no idea how this will work as far as penalties, so we'lll have to wait and see what happens next week.
-- theschnauzers

jiajia12

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »
Penalties wouldn't save Bill/Cathi, we have our final 4 :-[

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »
Phil showing us how to do it with ATTITUDE!  :lol:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
Well, when Amani & Marcus stop to search for the park, we see the Detour clue, I wonder what the other option was and why neither AT or BC chose to switch...
The story so far:

jiajia12

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
The Leg has ended , next leg of the race, means last team will be eliminated or given a speedbumb or penality

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
The fact that there was already a two-roadblock leg doesn't rule out another such leg, but there hasn't been a Race with two "regular" legs with two roadblocks.

There's nothing precluding an elimination at the pit stop preceding a no rest period break into the following leg, but we haven't had that happen with the previous no rest period legs, and by definition, it would not have happened with a TBC leg. We still have one more NEL leg left, so leg 9 (which is the one we're in the middle of) could fit that.

The thing about Ernie and Cindy is that they did buy a train ticket, but they lost it at the train station. It's not like to stole a ride on the train to Brussels. But I have no idea how this will work as far as penalties, so we'lll have to wait and see what happens next week.

Yeah, I can see them being lenient since they DID buy a ticket. But if you get on a train without a ticket, it's still illegal. They had no proof of purchase from what it looked like and had they been caught it could have been a legal issue with a fine. The example I brought up while watching is that here in Toronto and the surrounding area, you buy your GO ticket before you get on the train and they trust you bought it. Sometimes, transit safety comes around and checks whether you have a ticket, if you don't, it's a $170 fine since you are then technically trespassing.

I like Ernie and Cindy and they are one of my picks to win but I think they definitely deserve a penalty for what they've done.

ETA: Then again, did teams only get a penalty for speeding if they were caught? I vaguely remember a penalty that involved 2 minutes/mph they were going over the speed limit plus some base but I don't remember if that was only if they were caught.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
The only time they've announced Race proper penalties for speeding was in areas where they felt like there were very legit safety reasons for a hard speed limit. Absent that, it's at your own risk of having to deal with the ticket fines. (I can remember at least one team getting busted in New Zealand a few seasons back.)

Production has also apparently limited Racers speeds to below the posted limit for other safety issues. Reports on TWOP are that Millie & Chuck's elimination came from that kind of thing- they were so sleep deprived that they kept weaving across the centerline on a two lane road, got hit with a 50 kph or so speed limit from production to keep from killing their camera crew and causing insurance costs for the show to spike, and the result was that they got passed by a team not facing that speed limit, which significantly contributed to their elimination.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2011, 12:19:33 AM »
I remember that!  :lol:

On the ticket-less train ride, they do have proof of having bought tickets:  Roll Tape !
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
The only time they've announced Race proper penalties for speeding was in areas where they felt like there were very legit safety reasons for a hard speed limit. Absent that, it's at your own risk of having to deal with the ticket fines. (I can remember at least one team getting busted in New Zealand a few seasons back.)

Production has also apparently limited Racers speeds to below the posted limit for other safety issues. Reports on TWOP are that Millie & Chuck's elimination came from that kind of thing- they were so sleep deprived that they kept weaving across the centerline on a two lane road, got hit with a 50 kph or so speed limit from production to keep from killing their camera crew and causing insurance costs for the show to spike, and the result was that they got passed by a team not facing that speed limit, which significantly contributed to their elimination.

This are the speed penalties in TAR history

1. Andy & Laura: 92-min penalty starting next leg (30 minutes + 2 min x number of km over speed limit which in their case was 42km) b
2. Nick & Starr: 30 min penalty Leg 4, never shown
3. Terence & Sarah: 30 min penalty next leg, pushed them from 3rd to 5th