Author Topic: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!  (Read 553433 times)

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!
« Reply #1125 on: June 15, 2019, 04:42:39 AM »
For TAR 31:

1. Leo and Jamal is the team that appears on the most number of episodes of the amazing race  :funny: (11+12+11 = 34 episodes), as they appear on all episodes of their 3 seasons  :funny:

2. There are 12 teams that have never been at the fringe of elimination on a senson-run basis (never being second-to-last or last on any legs before finale).

Among those,
8 are the season winners (Rob & Brennan (S1), , Meghan & Cheyne (S15), Kisha & Jen (S18), Ernie & Cindy (S19), Rachel & Dave (S20), Jason & Amy (S23), Dave & Connor (S24), Kelsey & Joey (S27))
3 finish the race in second (Frank & Margarita (S1), Dustin & Kandice (S11), Jelani & Jenny (S26))
1 finish last on the finale (Jill & Thomas (S17))

Colin & Christie and Tyler & Korey now have a chance of joining those.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:28:52 AM by cbacbacba1 »

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
« Reply #1126 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:19 AM »
Do you mean within one season?  Colin\Christie were NEL-ed in TAR 5, and Kisha\Jen were eliminated in TAR 14 ???

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1127 on: June 15, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »
Do you mean within one season?  Colin\Christie were NEL-ed in TAR 5, and Kisha\Jen were eliminated in TAR 14 ???
oh yeah I should have revised my wording. Thx

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2019, 06:40:56 AM »
Sure thing!  It's a really interesting summary of the data, so thanks for doing it! :tup:

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1129 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
Fun facts with u-turn after the airing of leg 10:

1. Becca & Floyd now tied with Leo & Jamal to be the most u-turned team (3 times in a career), and the 3rd team to be u-turned twice in a season
2. Leo & Jamal now is the team using the most number of u-turns (3 times in a career). Rachel has also used 3 u-turns as an individual. If you also count the voting u-turn on leg 8, she will be the one using the most (4 times successfully)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1130 on: June 20, 2019, 01:00:54 AM »
Every time Croatia was visited on a Race, it was on a route with a different amount of legs:

Croatia was on TAR12, which had 11 legs
Croatia was on TAR Israel 2, which had 13 legs
Croatia was on TAR Australia 3, which had 10 legs
Croatia was on TAR 31, which has 12 legs
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1131 on: June 20, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »
Every time Croatia was visited on a Race, it was on a route with a different amount of legs:

Croatia was on TAR12, which had 11 legs
Croatia was on TAR Israel 2, which had 13 legs
Croatia was on TAR Australia 3, which had 10 legs
Croatia was on TAR 31, which has 12 legs

And the odd numbered ones has 2 on it, and the even numbered ones has 3 on it.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1132 on: June 20, 2019, 02:50:04 AM »
In TAR 5, all Final 3 teams had an interesting start:

- Chip & Kim won the race, and finished 1st in 4th leg, being the last in F3 to check in 1st. (8-8-7-1)
- Colin & Christie came in 2nd, and finished 1st in 3rd leg, being the second in F3 to check in 1st. (7-6-1)
- Brandon & Nicole came in 3rd, and finished 1st in 2nd leg, being the first in F3 to check in 1st. (6-1)

Curiously, Chip & Kim was the only one in F3 who did not jump from 6th to 1st. They jumped from 7th to 1st instead.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1133 on: June 20, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
Laura & Tyler (Season 26) were the last winners to have the most leg wins (3) in their season, although Hayley & Blair were tied.

If you don't count ties, then Dave & Connor (Season 24) were the last winners to have the most leg wins (6) in their season.

And some obvious stats:
- Becca & Floyd got eliminated on Leg 10 twice and came in fifth place both times.
- There was a heavy amount of biking throughout the legs.
- There was NO Detour in Season 29 Leg 10.
- There was NO Roadblock in Season 31 Leg 10.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:21:46 PM by RaceUntilWeDie »

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1134 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Nat & Kat winning TAR 17 as the first all-female team to win the American TAR also provided the closure of SD-era of TAR before switching to HD-era TAR 18 onwards.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1135 on: June 22, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
Every single returning racer and their total number of legs run:
Winners of returnee seasons are marked in green.

6   Amanda & Kris
10   Mel & Mike
11   John Vito & Jill
11   David & Mary
11   Jessica & John
12   Natalie & Nadiya
12   Mark Jackson
13   Kevin & Drew
13   Joey & Meghan
13   Art & JJ
15   Zev & Justin
16   Rob & Amber
16   Jaime & Cara
17   Danielle Turner
17   Dave & Connor
18   Ron & Christina
18   Kent & Vyxsin
19   Teri & Ian
20   Charla & Mirna
20   Gary Ervin
20   Becca & Floyd
21   Joe & Bill
21   Uchenna & Joyce
22   Margie & Luke
22   Kisha & Jen
22   Mallory Ervin
22   Tyler & Korey
23   Oswald & Danny
23   Caroline & Jennifer
23   Colin & Christie
24   Dustin & Kandice
24   Brendon Villegas
25   Eric Sanchez
31   Jet & Cord
31   Flight Time & Big Easy
32   Leo & Jamal
32   Rachel Reilly

Hoping someone can help me out with this one: did TAR 14 have 11 or 12 legs? ???

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1136 on: June 22, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
By our current definitions and standards: 11
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1137 on: June 22, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
That depends. My practice has been the count double-length lags as two legs. I’m not sure who “our” is, but I dispute, with reason for consistency in comparing different seasons of the Race, of treating double length legs as I leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1138 on: June 22, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Agree with what theschnauzers said, I've always counted double-length legs as two legs rather than one.

Offline BoxOfficeR

• RFF Full Member
    • Box Office Revolution
« Reply #1139 on: June 23, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but Colin and Christie are the only team in TAR US history to be both Yielded and U-Turned.

Edit: yeah, something similar was already posted above :lol:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:33:01 AM by BoxOfficeR »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1140 on: June 23, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
"Our" meaning the way Wikipedia and our own wiki handle things.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1141 on: June 23, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
So during the TAR 14 memory challenge, they show something from the second half of Leg 10 as "Leg 11" onscreen. Was that just an error on the editors' part, or...?

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1142 on: June 23, 2019, 06:37:45 PM »
Out of all the three-timers, (Jet & Cord, Flight Time & Big Easy, Margie & Luke, Mallory Ervin, Rachel Reilly, Leo & Jamal), Rachel Reilly is the only three-timer who has never heard Phil say "You're still racing!"

Seasons with KOR Legs: 18, 19, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Rachel's seasons: 20, 24, 31

I just think it's amazing she's never raced a KOR leg before lmao

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1143 on: June 24, 2019, 02:37:56 AM »
That depends. My practice has been the count double-length lags as two legs. I’m not sure who “our” is, but I dispute, with reason for consistency in comparing different seasons of the Race, of treating double length legs as I leg.

Fuller, better response:

For many years, Wikipedia has lived in the very simple world where KOR legs pre-TAR18 are Double-Length Legs and are considered to be just one super-long leg. The first of these was TAR6 in Hungary, the least ambiguous case of this. Then, everything TAR18 and onward is now a No-Rest Leg, which is two legs of the Race but with no rest point in-between

The original genesis of this change was the fact that Gary & Mallory (Australia) and Margie & Luke (China) received a prize, whereas teams who previously arrived at the KOR mat received nothing but their next clue. This distinction became a bit muddied over time, especially when it was revealed that Jaime & Cara received an unaired prize for hitting the KOR mat in China.

Additionally, a lot of this came into question when Phil announced that the Sicily Leg in TAR25 was the "300th" leg, which made no sense under any of our pre-established systems. Wikipedia ignored it entirely and just kept doing what it had been doing.

If you ask me, there definitely is a divide between pre- and post-TAR18 KOR legs. I like the system that Wikipedia uses and, to avoid confusion, it was carried over to all the statistics I keep as well as our own Wiki. Even I don't 100% agree with it, and I'll tell you why: Wikipedia editors were extremely adamant that the KOR leg in TAR Asia 4 was two legs instead of one, in direct contrast to the single KOR leg that was in season 2, and the pages were accordingly changed. The thing is, Allan Wu says to a bunch of teams "This leg is not over" at the KOR mat, and I want to revert it to a "Double-Length" (ie, single) leg, but have kept it as two to match the Wikipedia page.

Now, our site can overhaul this and come up with a new understanding of these going forward. Earlier legs (for example, TAR7, TAR9) that had been classified as one leg can now be classified as two instead. If that's what a lot of people want, I'll do it. However, keep in mind two important things:

1. This means that our Wiki and other data will no longer match Wikipedia. Furthermore, you cannot ever expect Wikipedia to change in order to match any of this. There is no solid evidence that would pass Wikipedia's strict sourcing rules. Subtitles such as "Leg 11" on TAR14 will not do, because subtitles on TAR have a bad habit of being incorrect. Remember when Joey & Meghan were on season 18?  :groan:

2. This will be a lot of work, especially for me. Tons of stuff both on the wiki and on my behind-the-scenes statistics will have to be changed an overhauled. It will be a lot of effort, and by the end I will probably not be willing to change it again if the community changes its mind later. Pages will have to be updated and moved. Values and statistics will have to be re-worked.

Besides, at the end of the day, I don't think one could ever consider ALL of them as two legs. Is TAR6 Hungary two legs? There's nothing in between to mark the split between legs - no Phil, no mat, no clue to keep on racing. Same with TAR8 in Canada. What about in TAR10 where teams don't even meet Phil until they finish the "second" leg in Ukraine?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1144 on: June 24, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
The key to a double length leg calculation for me is the presence of a midpoint where one can ascertain the order of arrival. I haven’t checked Wikipedia to see if they changed their standings table for every season yet again, but the last time I checked a just a few years ago, they had in fact changed to the way I have handled double length legs since their introduction as a improvisation in season 6 as the Hungary leg(s). They had to have teams wait overnight in the Internet cafe due to a local ordinance that prohibited the intended overnight wait outside. It was very clear what the order of arrival at that point was, and I computed team averages in that order. Season 8 had a similar problem in Montreal, but it was trying to determine whether the task inside the Olympic Stadium was a midpoint, before the teams began searching for a clue, the order in which teams found their clue, or the departure times teams found in the clue envelope to the next task. The one that best fit a midpoint was the order in which teams finished the search for a clue task.
I have not found any issues in fixing a midpoint on any double length, keep on racing or checking no rest period legs since. The only oddball has been the team swap leg, a couple of seasons ago, where the best approach was to average each team’s result of each racer for a team average placement.

I’m quite comfortable with my approach, because, among other things, it leads to an average length in every season after TAR 13 as having a de facto 12 legs, and TAR 13 with 11 legs. I think the approach you d scribe complicates things unnecessarily.
-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1145 on: June 25, 2019, 02:28:52 AM »
Oh, there was never any issue with determining placements at the midpoint of KOR legs. Wikipedia does it, and so does our Wiki. The question is whether production considered these instances one or two legs. If you want to consider each KOR instance as two legs for the purposes of even statistics or what have you, that's just fine. But the question RaceUntilWeDie asked was "How many legs does TAR14 have?", which is a question that can also be applied to TARs 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. (And Asia 4, Australia 1, Philippines 1, etc...). Wikipedia and our wiki follow a system, but a lot of people still quibble over this system to this day.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1146 on: June 25, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
Oh, there was never any issue with determining placements at the midpoint of KOR legs. Wikipedia does it, and so does our Wiki. The question is whether production considered these instances one or two legs. If you want to consider each KOR instance as two legs for the purposes of even statistics or what have you, that's just fine. But the question RaceUntilWeDie asked was "How many legs does TAR14 have?", which is a question that can also be applied to TARs 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. (And Asia 4, Australia 1, Philippines 1, etc...). Wikipedia and our wiki follow a system, but a lot of people still quibble over this system to this day.

Do we count Moran, Montreal, and Moscow as Pit Stops? Since Phil's narrations seem to imply that.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
I was wondering whether Colin's broken ox moment was the most referenced throughout the TAR franchise. (Oddly enough, the title of that episode was not about the broken ox, but Christie's "It's Okay, Run Them Over!")

1. Switchback in TAR25 - montage of Colin was shown
2. TAR31 - montage shown twice (a reference was also made in an extra clip where Colin and Christie were wandering around in Laos)

And I believe other franchises also have similar tasks, like TAR Australia Season 1.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1148 on: June 25, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
Do we count Moran, Montreal, and Moscow as Pit Stops? Since Phil's narrations seem to imply that.

That's the thing, though. One cannot definitively say that every Pit Stop represents the end of a leg.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1149 on: June 27, 2019, 05:46:48 AM »
Additionally, a lot of this came into question when Phil announced that the Sicily Leg in TAR25 was the "300th" leg, which made no sense under any of our pre-established systems. Wikipedia ignored it entirely and just kept doing what it had been doing.

I'm actually pretty sure that the producers (or who ever counted the legs), if they gave a damn, just averaged the three probably ways of counting legs.
All Double-Length legs are 1 leg: 297th
All DL legs are 2 legs: 304th
Only DL legs with pit-stop midpoint are 2 legs: 301st
Average: 300.67

So either the Sicily leg or the Malta leg was 300th, then they chose one and stuck to it.

OR they they were using the third counting method, but miscounted. After they showed Joey & Meghan was from Season 18, anything is possible.

I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back