Author Topic: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!  (Read 553508 times)

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!
« Reply #1025 on: July 01, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
TAR 30
Final 3 placed in the top 3 on leg 1
Every team in the final 5 won one of the first 5 legs!

TAR 11 to TAR 15 had MF team win
TAR 16 MM team win

TAR 26 to TAR 30 had MF team win
Will and MM team win 31?
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline MrDS

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1026 on: July 09, 2018, 08:22:48 PM »
          --> The probability of you being a winner of a season and also winning the most legs is 2/5

This point intrigued me somewhat as a mathematician to work out (not quite) true probabilities for the likelihood of winning and winning the most legs, so let's actually break down the maths of this (for simplicity purpose, let us assume NELs on leg's 3, 6, and 9, and single eliminations otherwise. In addition, we shall assume every team is equally likely to win a given leg (in practice this is not the case, since there are naturally stronger/weaker teams, the presence of Fast Forwards, U-Turns etc.), and each leg is independent of the next (you can think of this as each leg travelled to a new country with an equaliser at the airport i.e. all teams on the same flight, or an Hours of Operation at the next destination)).

First, the probabilities that arise from this vary so let's take the two extreme examples; winning every leg (I) and winning 2 legs whilst every other team only wins 1 leg (II) (for the calculation we'll assume we win leg 1 as our other leg since this gives us the lowest probability).

For (I), the probability of you winning EVERY leg is Pmin = (1/11) * (1/10) * (1/9) * (1/9) * .... * (1/4) * (1/3) = 1/6286896000 (so, an extremely tiny chance, but possible!).

For (II), assuming that P(does not win a leg) = 1 - P(winning a leg) (and as before stating that we win Leg 1 and Leg 12, and NEL's are the same as above), our calculation becomes (1/11) * (9/10) * (8/9) * (8/9) * ... * (3/4) * (1/3) = 34836480/628689000, approximately equal to 0.005541126... (so again, very improbable, but can happen!). Note that I chose Leg 1 deliberately as this is the lowest probability for this scenario, the highest probability comes from winning the last two legs (why you might ask? Because we are effectively replacing a 3 for a 10, so the numerator becomes bigger hence a bigger probability). In this scenario, we actually end up with a probability of Pmax = 116121600/628689000, approximately equal to 0.018470418..., so the range of probabilities for our overall event is Pmin <= P(winning final leg and winning most legs) <= Pmax, given the set up of our scenario.

To further prove that Pmax is indeed the maximum we can get for our given set up, to get the numerator we multiplied 10 * 9 * 8 * 8 * 7 * 6 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 4 * 1 * 1 = 116121600. If we were to win another leg, we would have to change one of these numbers to a 1 (i.e. P(not winning leg 1) = 10/11 so P(winning leg 1) = 1/11, so the 10 in the calculation would be changed to a 1), giving us a value of 11612160 < 116121600. Any set up involving winning more than 2 legs will yield a strictly smaller numerator hence a lower probability.

If we wanted to be a little more sneaky with how we calculate "true" Pmin and Pmax, we would need to manipulate the scenarios slightly (and use separate scenarios for each one to manipulate the probability to be as small/big as possible). For Pmin, assuming NELs Legs 1-3 and we win every leg, the probability of this occurring is a staggeringly small 1/26564630400 (realistically it is 0 since when has there every been a race with 3 NELs in the first 3 legs of the race??).

Pmax however presents a new set of issues as the numerator will need to be big relative to the denominator (fortunately for Pmin the numerator was going to be 1 so all we had to do was make the denominator as big as possible). Initially my first thought was to have NELs Leg 1, 2, 3 and we win Leg 11 and Leg 12, but this actually was shown to have a smaller value than that calculated earlier! Unfortunately since it is now past 2am and my brain is knackered from doing more mathematics than I care to admit I may have another look at this problem another time.

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1027 on: July 10, 2018, 03:47:01 AM »
          --> The probability of you being a winner of a season and also winning the most legs is 2/5

This point intrigued me somewhat as a mathematician to work out (not quite) true probabilities for the ...

Oh no I was just going off empirical probability, based off previous race results. 2/5 clearly won't be your true probability of winning most legs + entire season.

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1028 on: July 29, 2018, 11:59:53 PM »
Not counting Family Edition, TAR 2 visits the most US states, (in order): Nevada, Hawaii, Alaska, and California.

Season 16 is the only season to have only one US state visited, the state is California.

San Francisco and New York City are tied with most finale visits: 4

TAR 30 is so far the only time Thailand is visited without visiting Bangkok.

Singapore is the only country to have both a Detour and a Roadblock on two separate legs. The Detour is in Leg 1, while the RB is Leg 13, The season is The Amazing Race Asia 2

Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana (France) are so far the only countries in South America to be visited.

Cuba is the most visited country that has been visited on International versions of the show that the US has not visited.

Kenya, Puerto Rico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Liechtenstein, and Monaco and are the only five countries to not have Pit Stops.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1029 on: July 30, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana (France) are so far the only countries in South America to be visited.

Well, Venezuela. But they'll never go there, it's much too dangerous. I actually know nothing about those other 3.

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1030 on: July 30, 2018, 12:03:57 AM »

Well, Venezuela. But they'll never go there, it's much too dangerous.

I'm counting International races as well, TAR Latin America 2 went to Venezuela.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1031 on: July 30, 2018, 12:04:29 AM »
Right. Soon as I finished the comment, I remembered that!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #1032 on: July 30, 2018, 01:11:41 AM »
Not counting Family Edition, TAR 2 visits the most US states, (in order): Nevada, Hawaii, Alaska, and California.

Season 16 is the only season to have only one US state visited, the state is California.

Singapore is the only country to have both a Detour and a Roadblock on two separate legs. The Detour is in Leg 1, while the RB is Leg 13, The season is The Amazing Race Asia 2

Cuba is the most visited country that has been visited on International versions of the show that the US has not visited.

Kenya, Puerto Rico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Liechtenstein, and Monaco and are the only five countries to not have Pit Stops.

Finland says hi :)

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1033 on: July 30, 2018, 01:22:58 AM »
HaMerotz Season 4, 2 Pit Stops in Finland. That I do know :P

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1034 on: July 30, 2018, 01:23:51 AM »

Finland says hi :)

Finland had two Pit Stops in Hamerotz Lamillion 4

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1035 on: August 01, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »

Huh?

The US Version alone has visited:

Argentina
Brazil   
Chile
Peru
Bolivia   
Colombia 
Ecuador   
Paraguay   
Uruguay
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1036 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »
I think he meant that the US Version hasn't gone there yet.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1037 on: August 02, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »
"to be visited" means they haven't been visited yet by anyone.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1038 on: August 02, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »
They visited Venezuela in season 2 of TAR:LA

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1039 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Courtney & Adam of TARC 6 are the newest winners crowned who have the lowest race average as a winning team! 

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1040 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Courtney & Adam of TARC 6 are the newest winners crowned who have the lowest race average as a winning team!

You are correct!
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1041 on: September 13, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »

You are correct!

Ah, yeah. At 4.64 they even surpass the Beekmans (4.58)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1042 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:44 AM »
Another infographic, this represents how many versions of the Race have visited each country (American version, Asian version, Canadian version, etc...)

Note, this graph considers China Rush and The Amazing Race China as separate versions.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1043 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
Nice work! Interesting, indeed. Really shows you where the dicy part of the world is.

You forgot one country. The 1 visit to Kyrgyzstan by Israel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:07:05 AM by Maanca »

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1044 on: October 06, 2018, 01:23:28 AM »
Nice work! Interesting, indeed. Really shows you where the dicy part of the world is.

He also forgot Bahrain, which was visited in the most recent American Version.

Gra1162

« Reply #1045 on: October 06, 2018, 01:36:26 AM »

Also bora bora in s 22

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #1046 on: October 06, 2018, 01:57:52 AM »

Also bora bora in s 22

In full is French Polynesia which Bora Bora is part of there. Tahiti is the largest island.

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #1047 on: October 06, 2018, 02:01:24 AM »

Also bora bora in s 22

French Polynesia is a part of France., look at the bottom left corner of the map, you can see a light blue dot that represents French Polynesia

Gra1162

« Reply #1048 on: October 06, 2018, 02:08:02 AM »

Also bora bora in s 22

French Polynesia is a part of France., look at the bottom left corner of the map, you can see a light blue dot that represents French Polynesia
Oh missed that LMAO  :groan:

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #1049 on: October 06, 2018, 03:09:39 AM »
So many unvisited African countries...