Author Topic: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!  (Read 552395 times)

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I enjoyed discovering them.  :crazy:

First to worst (eliminated):
Two teams won the first leg before being eliminated in the second: Amanda & Chris (S4) and Alison & Donny (S5).
Five teams just missed out on the final three, despite winning the previous leg: Derek & Drew (S3), Hayden & Aaron (S6), Toni & Dallas (S13), Kisha & Jen (S14) and Andy & Tommy (S19).
The rest of the first to worst teams are: Pat & Brenda (S1), Mary & Peach (S2), Shola & Doyin (S2), John Vito & Jill (S3), Steve & Josh (S4), Ray & Deana (S7), Fran & Barry (S9), Peter & Sarah (S10), Uchenna & Joyce (S11), Rob & Amber (S11), Toni & Dallas (S13), Chad & Stephanie (S17) and Connor & Jonathan (S17).

S13 and S19 hold the record for the latest first elimination of a leg winner, with previous leg winners eliminated in fourth place in both seasons (Toni & Dallas and Andy & Tommy).

The strongest Final 3 (by average placing) was S20 with an AP of 2.5. Second was S1, with an AP of 2.54. Third was S14 with 2.59 and fourth was S15 with 2.82.
The weakest Final 3 (by average placing) was S6, with an AP of 3.80. Second was S21 with 3.78 and third was S16 with 3.75.

Andy & Tommy (S19) have the highest average finishing position (2.636) and the most leg wins (6) without finishing in the top 2, and without making it to the final leg. Zev & Justin (S18), Hayden & Aaron (S6) and Derek & Drew (S3) all had 4 wins without making it to the finish line.

Number of leg winners in each season:
3 - S13, S20
4 - S19
4 - S5, S9, S15
7 - S2
9 - S4

The only teams to win three legs and not finish in the top 4 are Rob & Amber (8th, S11) and Azaria & Hendekea (6th, S12)

No team finishing 5th or 10th in the first leg has ever won the race.

Only three teams didn't win a leg before winning the million: Eric & Danielle (S11), Kisha & Jen (S18) and Brent & Josh (S21).

In TEN of the twenty seasons so far, the team that won Leg 8 has finished fourth overall.

Of all the winners of Leg 3, only 6 of them have made the final three (and all 6 of them came second).

Teams that finished fifth in Leg 1 or 5 have never won.

Eric & Jeremy (S9) have the most 2nd places (6).

Second-placed teams are more likely than first-placed teams to win the next leg!! 48 first-placed teams have won the next leg, while 58 second-placed teams have won the next leg!

One team has finished in the same position 8 times in a race: Rachel & Dave (S20, 1sts). Three teams have finished in the same position 7 times in a race: Nick & Starr (S13, 1sts), Megan & Cheyne (S15, 1sts) and Rob & Kimberley (S10, 3rds).

The Final 3 with the most leg wins was S5 with 12. The ones with the least were S8, S10, S18, S19 and S21 with only 6!

Rob & Kimberley (S10) hold the record for the most consecutive same place finishes (3rd) with six. Nine teams have had four consecutive same place finishes.

Andrew & Dan (S13) hold the record for most consecutive legs without dropping a place: 9. Their streak went: 8th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 4th, 2nd before finishing in 3rd. Josh & Brent (S21) are equal second with a streak of 8. They went 7th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st. Meredith & Gretchen (S7) are equal second with a streak of 8. They went 7th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 2nd before finishing 4th.

Joe & Bill and Rob & Kimberley share the dubious honour of most consecutive legs without improving: 7. J&B (S3) went 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th. R&K (S10) went 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd.

Indonesia (S19) is the only country to eliminate 3 teams in one season (not counting the USA in Season Eight).

Going into the final leg of a race, the team with the outright best average placing has come first EIGHT times. The team with the second highest average placing has come first EIGHT times. And the team with the worst average placing has won only FOUR times (Chip & Kim, Uchenna & Joyce, Dan & Jordan, Josh & Brent). Season 13 saw a tie for the best average placing going into the final leg.

5 different teams have finished in 8 different positions throughout a race:
Teri & Ian who (S3) finished in positions 1st through 6th and 9th and 10th.
Kelly & Jon (S4) who finished in positions 1st through 8th
Kisha & Jen (S14) who finished in positions 1st through 8th
Nick & Vicki (S17) who finished in positions 2nd through 8th and 10th
Bopper & Mark(S20) who finished in positions 1st through 6th and 8th and 9th.

The only team to win 5 out of the first 7 legs are Andy & Tommy (S19)

Most First Places in one season:
8- Rachel & Dave (S20)
7- Meghan & Cheyne (S15)
7- Nick & Starr (S13)
6- Andy & Tommy (S19)
6- Colin & Christie (S5)
5- Nat & Kat (S17)
5- Tammy & Victor (S14)
5- Eric & Jeremy (S9)
5- BJ & Tyler (S9)
5 - Rob & Brennan (S1)

The only three teams who ended up with the highest average placing in their season and didn't make the final three are Oswald & Danny (S11, 4th), Azaria & Hendekea (S12, 6th) and Abbie & Ryan (S21, 5th).

Josh & Brent (S21) have the lowest average placing of all Race winners (4.58).

In terms of the difference between Average Placing and Finishing Position, the most predictable Race was Season 20; if teams' race position were determined by their average finishing position, only Bopper & Mark (5th) and Vanessa & Ralph's (4th) positions would be switched.

The most unpredictable Race was Season 11, with Rob & Amber finishing 8th, despite the 2nd highest average placing, and Oswald & Danny finishing 4th, with the best average placing. The second most unpredictable race was Season 21, with the highest ranked Abbie & Ryan finishing 5th, and the 6th ranked Josh & Brent winning the race.

Kami & Karli (S5) and Josh & Brent (S21) share the record of finishing 7 legs in the bottom two teams. Josh & Brent's 7 legs were all in a row (Leg 5 - Leg 11).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:36:50 PM by Dom »

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
Re: Some interesting (and some not so interesting) facts and records!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
Wow, that's a wonderful compilation! Thanks!  :)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:11:12 AM »
How long did you spend compiling these? :lol3:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:15:37 AM »
I always loved reading the facts and figures in Wikipedia before, but that page got deleted for some weird reason. Nice job for bringing some of them back! :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
I always loved reading the facts and figures in Wikipedia before, but that page got deleted for some weird reason. Nice job for bringing some of them back! :tup:

IKR. I think they deemed these as random facts. I remembered that time we only had comparisons for about like 8 seasons... now we have 19! :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
Cool stuff Dom!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
I love this too, Dom El! It seems you really love researching! :D

I think each of the users who is willing to, could share other statistics or interesting facts that may not have been mentioned in any thread yet, or that we have been courious about, maybe? That way we could make a great thread full of interesting things about the race that can be important some times.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
I love this too, Dom El! It seems you really love researching! :D

I think each of the users who is willing to, could share other statistics or interesting facts that may not have been mentioned in any thread yet, or that we have been courious about, maybe? That way we could make a great thread full of interesting things about the race that can be important some times.

Definitely! If anyone's got any more records and facts, I'll add them to the list!

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »
Andy & Tommy have moved up to equal 3rd place in the most leg wins in a single season, level with Colin & Christie!

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »
Then there's no doubt that Jeremy & Sandy will win the race of S19.

Ernie & Cindy got EP, which promises them to get into the Final 3 with no opportunity to win.

Amani & Marcus were the 5th in Leg 1, and Andy & Tommy the 7th.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »
I checked that 5th, 7th, and 10th on the 1st leg theory by looking at other versions. I think it's a coincidence on the American version because this system does not work on TAR Asia at all. Jeremy and Sandy and Amani and Marcus have an equal chance of winning, IMO.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:51 AM »
I checked that 5th, 7th, and 10th on the 1st leg theory by looking at other versions. I think it's a coincidence on the American version because this system does not work on TAR Asia at all. Jeremy and Sandy and Amani and Marcus have an equal chance of winning, IMO.

Ah but I personally only consider TAR US to be 'canon'! If I got permission, and paid enough money, I could televise my own Amazing Race and it wouldn't have any connection to the original besides the same branding!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »

Ah but I personally only consider TAR US to be 'canon'! If I got permission, and paid enough money, I could televise my own Amazing Race and it wouldn't have any connection to the original besides the same branding!

True, it is the "canon" version, but the greatest spell of all (the third leg curse) works across all versions. ;)

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
True, it is the "canon" version, but the greatest spell of all (the third leg curse) works across all versions. ;)

Yeah for sure, that is definitely the best one!

Personally I think the most interesting stat is that teams that come second in a leg win the next leg more often than the team that came first!! There's no reasonable explanation for that, other than maybe the first place teams suffer from overconfidence or 'take it easy' after their win..

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »

As much as I would love that, it is impossible to guarantee that they will win based on patterns as there is always a first for everything.  :)

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
Here's another interesting one..

Of the 18 winning teams of the million:

5 were first
7 were second
6 were third

in the second-to-last leg!

Just goes to show that it's mostly pot luck as to who ends up winning!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
I've always thought that was interesting too. The finale is just a leg like any other one, your previous performance counts for nothing. All that it comes down to is whatever happens on that one day.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »

Ernie & Cindy got EP, which promises them to get into the Final 3 with no opportunity to win.

Supertux,
Get Real! Those past events have no impact on what happened when AR19 unless you can prove some causality (which nobody can). I'm with Prophet. There is an equal chance of each team that makes the final 3 winning. Are you trying to run an Astrology exercise here?

Also, how do you know that Andy/Tommy are even going to make the final 3? I think they will be displaced by Ernie/Cindy.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
At some point, I plan to also publish my compilation of each season's leg-by-leg finish order (including the uber-leg midpoints) that I use in computing the final placement averages for all the teams in all seasons list. (Wikipedia has never kept midpoint arrival order for the uberlegs.)
I'm well aware of some of those odd facts in the performance of teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »
I've always thought that was interesting too. The finale is just a leg like any other one, your previous performance counts for nothing. All that it comes down to is whatever happens on that one day.

I agree. The best team doesn't always win the prize.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

Supertux,
Get Real! Those past events have no impact on what happened when AR19 unless you can prove some causality (which nobody can). I'm with Prophet. There is an equal chance of each team that makes the final 3 winning. Are you trying to run an Astrology exercise here?

Also, how do you know that Andy/Tommy are even going to make the final 3? I think they will be displaced by Ernie/Cindy.

Chill out! I'm sure that SuperTux was simply having some fun with the statistics. Of course it's absurd to think past outcomes affect the probabilities in any way, but still its fun to figure out what outcomes would satisfy all the rules.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »
I don't think it's so much that past outcomes effect the present, but more that there are subtle tendencies in Race positions.

What is the best logical explanation for the famous leg 3 curse? I venture that it has to do with teams that win a lot of legs in the middle of the season and then somehow taper off. Eric and Jeremy had a similar run to Andy and Tommy. On the other hand Meghan and Cheyne won many legs as well but in the latter half of the race.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:55:24 PM by Prophet »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
At some point, I plan to also publish my compilation of each season's leg-by-leg finish order (including the uber-leg midpoints) that I use in computing the final placement averages for all the teams in all seasons list. (Wikipedia has never kept midpoint arrival order for the uberlegs.)
I'm well aware of some of those odd facts in the performance of teams.

All uber-leg midpoints are seen already at Wikipedia now, though. I believe I started seeing Wikipedia adding race positions during midpoints at the time of Season 18 (maybe to settle the technicalities for the special TBC of Season 18, they added all race placements)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »

??? I didn't say Andy & Tommy would be in the Final 3...

I just deduced my conclusion from those curses. Those funny patterns that have existed for 18 seasons really deserve to have a research. :lol:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
 :lol: apskip, you really never know. But I know where you're coming from.

But... that's the purpose of this thread right? It's all just pure fun and speculation. :tup: