Author Topic: TAR 20 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 375276 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: TAR 20 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #825 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I JUST have to post this, I'm giddy after thinking about it and I just had to share...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's odd/interesting that in Episode 7 promo 2's fight at the airport, Art and JJ are shown butting in and telling Brendon that "you're here to follow, bro, you're not here to play... this isn't 'Follow the Leader'" and then it cuts to Rachel telling Vanessa and Ralph to just get out of their faces.  This is (at least) the second time that CBS has given us footage of Art and JJ making snarky comments about Brenchel 'following' others in the race.  Sorry, but every team that isn't the 'lead' is considered 'following', get over it.

I'm wondering if this is a fore-shadowing of the finale.  Between the Leg 3 curse and Karma being the b!tch that she is, especially on the race, it's quite possible Brenchel wind up winning with Art/JJ being 3rd... if so, I'll be LMAO!!!
I'd love for that happen!  :conf:
And it's possible.  No matter how you might feel about Rachel, she and Brendon have come off the least horrible between them and Art & JJ and Vanessa & Ralph.  Edits aren't as important on TAR as they are on BB or Survivor, but Rachel & Brendon are getting a great edit and could be setting up their win.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #826 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
Not to brag, but I did point out that teams would be using charters to get to where they were going to Tanzania. And given how close they were to the season 5 locations, that was the best way to get the teams there.

I have a feeling teams will likely "hop" to the next leg in Tanzania the same way.

I feel exactly the opposite. Charter flights were used to transport teams quickly in to the Ngorongoro Crater from Arusha. theschnauzers, it's possible that charter flights will move teams around in Tanzania, but I doubt it. I think their tent encampment represents some temporary stability in their race lives. With all the potential for animal photography, why would WRP want to go anywhere else (although it appears that they do want to go close-by to Lake Manyara)? From Lake Manyara, my memory of AR5 ep.7 where teams exited from the Lake Manyara lookout (in Kibaoni) by 100 mile taxi back to Arusha and then took charter flights to Nairobi (to avoid time delays I imagine). I expect that AR20 teams will exit Tanzania starting at Kibaoni as follows:
1. Take a cab the 100 miles.
2. Take a bus (not a charter flight) from Arusha 130 miles back to Nairobi. Another possibility is one of 6 flights Kilimanjaro (JRO) to Nairobi (NBO) already enumerated on the AR20 Transportation thread:

PW723 0600 0645
PW721 0915 0955
5H458  1415 1500
PW727 1530 1645
5H452 1720 1820
PW725 1940 2030

I don't see charters as either necessary or economic.

There are no absolutes here. it is all judgment at this point. Yours may be right or mine might.                                           
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:56:25 PM by apskip »

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #827 on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »

Ep 9

Kochi :hrt: :hrt: :hrt: :hrt:

Fun fact, if they'd visited it in Season 19 instead, I would have been there at the exact same time!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #828 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »
When AR went to Kerala he posted some great pics over here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26353.0.html

Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #829 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »

Ep 9

Fun fact, if they'd visited it in Season 19 instead, I would have been there at the exact same time!

I guessed that it would be Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. With Kochi specified for the April 22 telecast, Thiruvananthapuram is likely to be the area selected for the April 29 telecast.

Online apskip

Geographer Extraordinaire
    TAR Detectives
    RFF Frantic Poster

Re: TAR 20 Transport
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

I want to look ahead to leg 11 transportation where teams will have to fly from probably either Kochi or Trivandrum airports to Kansai Airprot in Osaka. It will take a minimum of 2 connections and nearly 24 hours to make the shortest possible trip. I have looked at routes through Chennai and through Mumbai and I strongly prefer those connecting in Mumbai. I have also looked at a second connection in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Hong Kong, which I believe have the best possibilities for decent schedules. It turns out that the optimal second flight is Mumbai to Bangkok and the third is Bangkok to Osaka. Here are the specifics:

16 Dec. TRV BOM AI668 0938 1134
or COK BOM AI682 0720 0905  or   COK BOM 9W2112 0850 1043

16 Dec. BOM BKK 9W68 1315 1847

16 Dec. BKK TG622 2324 0636+1
Modify message
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:38:40 PM by apskip »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:59:24 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #830 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Apskip don't you mean the 29th? This Sunday is another leg in Tanzania
Leafsfan,

I do mean the 29th. Thanks for the correction. I will be modifying the flights to India (currently aimed at Thiruvananthapuram) to go to Kochi.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #831 on: April 15, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
let's make a guess on which place will be a finish line of TAR 20 and I'm guessing a finish line of the final leg for this season will be on Hanalei Bay, Hawaii where Team Kentucky had won a vacation trip there on leg 8 (nice one, guys!) :tup: and here's the info from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanalei_Bay  And I have a doubt that probably the 3 remaining teams might solve a riddle of a clue where a Japanese author Haruki Murakami had wrote his 2 short stories there and a Hawaiian island which rhymes to a Japanese word meaning cuteness :<3 since they'd raced to Osaka, Japan before heading to their final destination, Hawaii.  It's my own specs, and I hope I'm right. :tup:

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #832 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:22 PM »
let's make a guess on which place will be a finish line of TAR 20 and I'm guessing a finish line of the final leg for this season will be on Hanalei Bay, Hawaii where Team Kentucky had won a vacation trip there on leg 8 (nice one, guys!) :tup: and here's the info from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanalei_Bay  And I have a doubt that probably the 3 remaining teams might solve a riddle of a clue where a Japanese author Haruki Murakami had wrote his 2 short stories there and a Hawaiian island which rhymes to a Japanese word meaning cuteness :<3 since they'd raced to Osaka, Japan before heading to their final destination, Hawaii.  It's my own specs, and I hope I'm right. :tup:

I'm glad you posted this topaz, because I also thought the same thing and I was procrastinating whether to post it or not  :lol:

I thought it was kinda random that out of ALL the places in the world to give a holiday prize, they would specifically pick Hanalei Bay

I thought Ala Moana State Park would be the Finish Line because it was in the episode intros but it could possibly be just an opening shot of Honolulu

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

I'm glad you posted this topaz, because I also thought the same thing and I was procrastinating whether to post it or not  :lol:

I thought it was kinda random that out of ALL the places in the world to give a holiday prize, they would specifically pick Hanalei Bay

I thought Ala Moana State Park would be the Finish Line because it was in the episode intros but it could possibly be just an opening shot of Honolulu

My wishes for the Finish Lines are Pearl Harbor or Aloha Stadium!!!!
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
topaz and supah3ro,

There are no absolutes here but I am offering my judgment which is far different from yours.

If you think that World Race Productions is going to send teams to another Hawaiian Island after bringing them to Oahu, I think you will be sorely disappointed. Anywhere on Oahu is possible because it's all within one hour of where they will be in downtown Honolulu, particularly with the light traffic conditions of a Sunday morning.

One of the places I have never been to (but want to) is the Polynesian Cultural Center. Another is US Army Barracks at Hickam Field. The third is the area around the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. There are dozens of other potential places on Oahu.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:57:12 AM by apskip »

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
I agree with askip.  I think it is unlikely the teams will travel to another island mid-leg. 

Regarding other possible finish lines, I think the Arizona Memorial is a bit too sacred of a spot for a game show celebration, even one as good as this one.

There are so many possiblities on Oahu!  It might be funny to see them trying to find Phil in the world's largest maze. It is in the town I used to live in.   http://www.dole-plantation.com/worlds-largest-maze

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
There are so many possiblities on Oahu!  It might be funny to see them trying to find Phil in the world's largest maze. It is in the town I used to live in.   http://www.dole-plantation.com/worlds-largest-maze

i was stuck in that maze for 47 minutes LOL fml  :lol:

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #837 on: April 17, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »
Yeah! Have the finish line in the center of the maze! Brilliant!

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #838 on: April 17, 2012, 07:28:04 AM »

This place is HD Quality enough either for a task or Pit Stop or Finish Line  :tup:
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline TARFansurvivor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #839 on: April 17, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »

Ep 9

I guessed that it would be Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram. With Kochi specified for the April 22 telecast, Thiruvananthapuram is likely to be the area selected for the April 29 telecast.

Online apskip

Geographer Extraordinaire
    TAR Detectives
    RFF Frantic Poster

Re: TAR 20 Transport
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

I want to look ahead to leg 11 transportation where teams will have to fly from probably either Kochi or Trivandrum airports to Kansai Airprot in Osaka. It will take a minimum of 2 connections and nearly 24 hours to make the shortest possible trip. I have looked at routes through Chennai and through Mumbai and I strongly prefer those connecting in Mumbai. I have also looked at a second connection in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Hong Kong, which I believe have the best possibilities for decent schedules. It turns out that the optimal second flight is Mumbai to Bangkok and the third is Bangkok to Osaka. Here are the specifics:

16 Dec. TRV BOM AI668 0938 1134
or COK BOM AI682 0720 0905  or   COK BOM 9W2112 0850 1043

16 Dec. BOM BKK 9W68 1315 1847

16 Dec. BKK TG622 2324 0636+1
Modify message
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:38:40 PM by apskip »

They could also go to the Northern part off India!!!!
Love The Amazing Race, The Apprentice and Survivor.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #840 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »

Another is US Army Barracks at Hickam Field.

Do you, by any chance, mean Schofield Barracks? They are not located at Hickam Field. They are located next to Wheeler Field, about 2/3 the way to the north shore up the central valley of Oahu. It is the main garrison base for the US Army in Hawaii, established in about 1905 and home to the USArmy's 25th Division since before WWII. It was attacked by the Japanese on Dec 7, 1941. Wheeler Field was the first target of the Japanese fliers, to prevent the fighter aircraft from interfering with the attack later on of Pearl Harbor.

Schofield Barracks is only about 3-4 miles from that Dole maze, btw.
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #841 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
Dr. Rox,

I meant what I said, Hickam Barracks. Here is an official account: "Many men were killed at Hickam when the Japanese bombed their barracks." Now, you are quiet right that Wheeler Field was also attacked as well as the major damage at Hickam. The website reference for the Naval Historical Heritage command for anyone interested in doing their own research is:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/pearlhbr/ph-air.htm

Here are the captions on a group of photos about 12/7/1941 that are online:

Photo #: NH 50473

Pearl Harbor Attack, 7 December 1941

Planes and hangars burning at Wheeler Army Air Field, Oahu, soon after it was attacked in the morning of 7 December 1941, as seen from a Japanese Navy plane.

Donation of Theodore Hutton, 1942.

NHHC Photograph.

Online Image: 117KB; 740 x 550    

Photo #: 80-G-21217

Pearl Harbor Raid, 7 December 1941

Wheeler Air Field and Schofield Barracks under attack, as seen from a Japanese Navy plane.
Most of the smoke comes from planes burning on the Wheeler Field apron in the center.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, National Archives collection.

Online Image: 86KB; 740 x 610

Reproductions may also be available at National Archives    

Photo #: 80-G-32896

U.S. Army aircraft destroyed by Japanese raiders at Wheeler Air Field. Photographed later in the day on 7 December 1941, following the end of the attacks.
Wreckage includes at least one P-40 and a twin-engine amphibian. Note the wrecked hangar in the background.

Online Image: 128KB; 740 x 605

Photo #: 80-G-32906

Men examine the burned-out wreckage of a P-40 pursuit aircraft, near Hangar 4 at Wheeler Air Field, following the end of the Japanese raid on 7 December 1941.
Note long blast tubes for the plane's nose machine guns.

Online Image: 130KB; 740 x 605

Photo #: SC 134872

Destroyed U.S. Army aircraft at Wheeler Field, Oahu, during post-attack cleanup activities.
P-40 pursuit planes are among the types present.

Photograph from Army Signal Corps Collection, National Archives.

Online Image: 101KB; 740 x 600

National Archives    

Photo #: 80-G-21218

Pearl Harbor Raid, 7 December 1941

Japanese Navy Type 97 Carrier Attack Plane ("Kate") flies high over Hickam Army Air Field during the attack. Pearl Harbor is in the background, with smoke rising from burning ships off Ford Island and at the Navy Yard.
Photographed from a Japanese plane.

Online Image: 105KB; 740 x 610

Photo #: NH 50931

Torpedo planes attack "Battleship Row" at about 0800 on 7 December, seen from a Japanese aircraft. Ships are, from lower left to right: Nevada (BB-36) with flag raised at stern; Arizona (BB-39) with Vestal (AR-4) outboard; Tennessee (BB-43) with West Virginia (BB-48) outboard; Maryland (BB-46) with Oklahoma (BB-37) outboard; Neosho (AO-23) and California (BB-44).
West Virginia, Oklahoma and California have been torpedoed, as marked by ripples and spreading oil, and the first two are listing to port. Torpedo drop splashes and running tracks are visible at left and center.
White smoke in the distance is from Hickam Field. Grey smoke in the center middle distance is from the torpedoed USS Helena (CL-50), at the Navy Yard's 1010 dock.
Japanese writing in lower right states that the image was reproduced by authorization of the Navy Ministry.

NHHC Photograph

Online Image: 144KB; 740 x 545    

Photo #: SC 127002

A U.S. Army B-17E at Hickam Air Field, after landing safely during the Japanese air raid. In the background is a B-17C (or B-17D). Smoke from burning ships at Pearl Harbor is visible in the distance.
The B-17E is probably that piloted by First Lieutenant Karl T. Barthelmess.
Photographer may be Staff Sergeant Lee Embree.

Photograph from Army Signal Corps Collection, National Archives.

Online Image: 103KB; 740 x 605

Photo #: 80-G-32915

Wrecked Army Air Corps B-17C (serial # 40-2074) bomber near Hangar # 5 at Hickam Air Field, following the end of the Japanese raid. This plane, piloted by Captain Raymond T. Swenson, was one of those that arrived during the raid after flying in from California. It was hit by a strafing attack after landing and burned in half.
Note Note bicycle parked by the plane. Pith helmet by the case in the left foreground indicates that the photographer was Tai Sing Loo.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, National Archives cooection.

Online Image: 109KB; 740 x 600

Photo #: SC 176626

Bomb damage to Hangars 15-17 and 11-13 at Hickam Field, Oahu, at 5PM on 7 December 1941. In the right foreground is a machine gun emplacement in a bomb crater.
A Douglas B-18 bomber is visible inside the badly damaged hangar.

Photograph from the Army Signal Corps Collection in the U.S. National Archives.

Online Image: 113KB; 740 x 600

Note that the captions above reference 5 shots of Wheeler/Schofield and 5 of Hickam.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #842 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
Question: what are the chances of one of the India legs being a KRL (Keep Racing Leg)?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #843 on: April 17, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Question: what are the chances of one of the India legs being a KRL (Keep Racing Leg)?

Cochin is VERY close from Kerala , i just realized that.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #844 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
 :groan:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #845 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

Pretty good I would think.

We need one more leg to have a team not eliminated.

So Cochin would be a good placement choice for a NEL or a TBC/KRL.

India 2 would then be an elimination, either V/R or Mark/Bopper go.

Japan would then also be an elim with the other of those two teams going.

Leaving us our known final 3.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Another is US Army Barracks at Hickam Field.

There may be barracks at Hickam, but Schofield Barracks is Army, Hickam is Air Force, Pearl Harbor is Navy, though Hickam and Pearl Harbor have recently been designated a joint base.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #847 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
Hickam and Pearl Harbor would have more of a recognized historical reference to Americans who lived in that time or studied the period.
Some of the world-wide popular fiction of the beginnings of World War II focused more on Hickam and Pearl than Schofield. Reference: Herman Wouk's The Winds of War/War and Remembrance (novels and TV miniseries 1983-88) and the film Pearl Harbor (2001). I doubt though that Pearl would be used as a finish line because of the USS Arizona memorial, although it might be used (TAR 4 Phoenix went back the Arizona USS Arizona memorial near the state capitol headed toward the finish). Hickam, though might make sense for a secluded finish mat or for a task of some kind.

Edited to add: I meant to mention that the last new episode of Hawaii Five-O last week had a wide angle helicopter shot of the area of Oahu where the twin condo towers are located. It was obvious that they were the same place we had spoiler pics from because there was nothing else in that area with twin towers like that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:58:14 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #848 on: April 18, 2012, 12:52:38 AM »

I doubt that there will be a KRL leg this season. Trains in India are VERY DANGEROUS at night and taxis are not safe either. More likely

a) Mark & Bopper quit the roadblock and are eliminated or NELed and then eliminated in the second leg
b) Mark & Bopper do not quit the roadblock but are last and survive for one leg thanks to an NEL and goes.
c) Or they survive and Vanessa/Ralph eliminated in India 2 and they get eliminated in Japan
d) or vice versa

than again, it's my speculation.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #849 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »
I would go back and look at the early season visits to India. In TAR 1 and TAR 4, teams did travel overnight on trains and in taxis, so I don't think that will be the determative factor. The show has usually done double-length legs or no length pit stops in locations where they are able to have a sufficient number of tasks for both legs, and India is certainly capable of providing such conditions. The real question is whether the overall pacing of this Race requires it, and given the single leg in Baku and the double legs in Tanzania, there's been a lot of time spent traveling long distances, so it certainly is a possibility. But I don't think we'll know until we see the episode on Sunday.
-- theschnauzers