Author Topic: TAR 20 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**  (Read 373979 times)

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 20 Speculation and Discussion **of Spoilers**
« Reply #475 on: December 20, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
There was another team that was photographed doing the task. But something else I found interesting...

Thanks to John Garcia of HI GreenHouse for sharing these!!

Look at the two sets of ropes on the very left of the picture... Why are they basically going straight down? Did Brenchel already finish the task? After all, it does look like Brenchel used the ropes on the very left...

Looking at the picture again, it looks like there are three sets of ropes on the left? :cmas5

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #476 on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
these might be set up

Offline htmom

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #477 on: December 20, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
I have a question, why do Brendon and Rachel have on ivory colored pennies on in some of the pictures? Not sure if it is called a penny or not.  Also, in the picture that appears Brendon is going down the building is a navy/blue.  Sorry if this has been mention!!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #478 on: December 20, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
 :bigwelcome to RFF htmom !!
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #479 on: December 20, 2011, 06:03:09 PM »
I have a question, why do Brendon and Rachel have on ivory colored pennies on in some of the pictures? Not sure if it is called a penny or not.  Also, in the picture that appears Brendon is going down the building is a navy/blue.  Sorry if this has been mention!!

:bigwelcome htmom. It appears that Brendon and Rachel are only wearing the pinnies when they're descending.

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #480 on: December 20, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
I'm preety confident as long as they got the camera device attached on their helmet or the camera attached on their back..(typical shoot for rappelling/splunging down)  :cmas16
TAR Aus Season 5 | Tough As Nails Season 2

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #481 on: December 20, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
I noticed those white foam things too. It looks like they only wear those on the descend. It's probably to keep the ropes from rubbing on them.

So who is this guy who hung around with a high quality camera and lens for an hour and only took four pictures? And only shots of Brenchel. They sort of seem like an intentional leak. :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
It was probably just a coincidence that they were the only team spotted 

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #483 on: December 20, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
I noticed those white foam things too. It looks like they only wear those on the descend. It's probably to keep the ropes from rubbing on them.

So who is this guy who hung around with a high quality camera and lens for an hour and only took four pictures? And only shots of Brenchel. They sort of seem like an intentional leak. :lol:

I was kind of thinking the same thing. His camera and lens must be absolutely top notch. He was taking the pictures from quite a distance away and yet when we blow up small sections of the image to focus in on the people, there's still a ton of sharp detail. I'm not usually in to conspiracy type theories, but it does seem interesting that the one team he caught is the one that would send out ripples of publicity for TAR in the social media world.

Looking at his photostream, he clearly lives in Hawaii (lots of pictures there over a long period of time), so he's not a plant. He does travel quite a bit. He's a talented photographer. I wonder if TAR hires photographers to take publicity pictures on some legs.

Update:

After looking at bspencer413's pictures more, I realize he was at roughly the same elevation as the teams ascending/descending. That can only mean that he was in the other Waterfront Tower and therefore, not all that far away from the teams - 100 yards or less. The pictures still seem usually sharp to this non photographer's eyes. I'm not sure what is in the towers, whether it's offices or apartments, but I imagine that he could work or live in the other tower.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:27:23 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #484 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »

I think another team was spotted. I zoomed in on this picture taken by John Garcia. I don't think it's Brenchel based on the clothes.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »

I think another team was spotted. I zoomed in on this picture taken by John Garcia. I don't think it's Brenchel based on the clothes.

The team here doesn't look like either of the two teams in the bspencer413 pictures, so we may have all 3 teams now. Or 2 teams and a rigging crew. Or 3 decoy teams.   :cmas5

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #486 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »

The team here doesn't look like either of the two teams in the bspencer413 pictures, so we may have all 3 teams now. Or 2 teams and a rigging crew. Or 3 decoy teams.   :cmas5

I only saw Brenchel in his photos. :cmas5

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #487 on: December 20, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »

One of his photos shows a woman on the top of the building about to start rappelling while the guy is a few stories down. Both of them are in white tops while the other pictures show Brenchel in blue/gray and green tops, so I was figuring it was two teams. Now I'm thinking the white tops are harnesses worn while rappelling. I'm not sure at this point if it's one team or two.

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #488 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »

One of his photos shows a woman on the top of the building about to start rappelling while the guy is a few stories down. Both of them are in white tops while the other pictures show Brenchel in blue/gray and green tops, so I was figuring it was two teams. Now I'm thinking the white tops are harnesses worn while rappelling. I'm not sure at this point if it's one team or two.

Pretty sure it's Brenchel. You can see the lettering for Brendon's UCLA shirt in this closeup.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #489 on: December 20, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »

There are full size images on the Flickr account. I zoomed in and its definitely the same team. She's wearing a white foam thing that she's not wearing in another shot, but she has the same green shorts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #490 on: December 20, 2011, 09:28:08 PM »
the photos from Japan are wonderful especially since they show Phil; that's always a way to confirm things isn't it?
-- theschnauzers

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #491 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »
the photos from Japan are wonderful especially since they show Phil; that's always a way to confirm things isn't it?

Yes it does!

So we have Paraguay, Italy and Japan confirmed along with a the likely Honolulu finish line.

Wasn't there also a pic of Phil in Buenos Aires?

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #492 on: December 20, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »
So teams were definitely seen in Osaka on what seems like the 19th.

But it seems like teams were also seen on the morning of the 19th in Hawaii! Or was this the 20th?

It is possible for them both to be the 19th as they'll cross the Date Line, but it would require a very short rest period. Could someone confirm whether the Hawaii sightings were the 19th or the 20th?

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

I was kind of thinking the same thing. His camera and lens must be absolutely top notch. He was taking the pictures from quite a distance away and yet when we blow up small sections of the image to focus in on the people, there's still a ton of sharp detail. I'm not usually in to conspiracy type theories, but it does seem interesting that the one team he caught is the one that would send out ripples of publicity for TAR in the social media world.

Looking at his photostream, he clearly lives in Hawaii (lots of pictures there over a long period of time), so he's not a plant. He does travel quite a bit. He's a talented photographer. I wonder if TAR hires photographers to take publicity pictures on some legs.

Update:

After looking at bspencer413's pictures more, I realize he was at roughly the same elevation as the teams ascending/descending. That can only mean that he was in the other Waterfront Tower and therefore, not all that far away from the teams - 100 yards or less. The pictures still seem usually sharp to this non photographer's eyes. I'm not sure what is in the towers, whether it's offices or apartments, but I imagine that he could work or live in the other tower.

I noticed the same thing about the quality of the photographs and was curious what he might be using (I know a bit about photography), so looked around a bit...clearly his photostream shows he is an excellent photographer, though at least up until a few years ago he didn't describe himself as a pro in his profile, and the cameras listed seem to reflect this. However, found this link to a recent picture of the takeoff in Hawaii of a famous plane -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1038&message=39852994

That is a pro level camera body, and one serious major long range lens (and I'm sure he's got more than one).  In the first TAR picture on his photostream, comparing the angle of the buildings and the landscape on Google Maps (note the background), I also think the pictures were likely taken from the other tower.  With this equipment, getting a sharp closeup of teams from that distance wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, that doesn't explain how he happened to be taking pictures of the TAR teams...however, Google also shows cruise ships dock very near where the towers are, and he has a number of shots of ships and the harbor in his other photos, so maybe he does live/work in the building. 

I also think the pictures we've seen show at least two teams... 

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »

But it seems like teams were also seen on the morning of the 19th in Hawaii! Or was this the 20th?

It is possible for them both to be the 19th as they'll cross the Date Line, but it would require a very short rest period. Could someone confirm whether the Hawaii sightings were the 19th or the 20th?

The time zone difference is 19 hours (or around 19 hours). Hawaii sightings were on the 19th.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »

Mid afternoon on the 19th

Actually thry could have been in both cities on the 19th......because teams would have crossed the International Date Line along the 180th degree  meridian heading from Japan to Hawaii.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #496 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »

Mid afternoon on the 19th

Actually thry could have been in both cities on the 19th......because teams would have crossed the International Date Line along the 180th degree  meridian heading from Japan to Hawaii.

That's what I said   :cmas22

They would have been on a direct flight from Osaka to Honolulu leaving late evening. So this must have been a very short rest period, less even than 12 hours.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #497 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »

Update:

I noticed the same thing about the quality of the photographs and was curious what he might be using (I know a bit about photography), so looked around a bit...clearly his photostream shows he is an excellent photographer, though at least up until a few years ago he didn't describe himself as a pro in his profile, and the cameras listed seem to reflect this. However, found this link to a recent picture of the takeoff in Hawaii of a famous plane -

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1038&message=39852994

That is a pro level camera body, and one serious major long range lens (and I'm sure he's got more than one).  In the first TAR picture on his photostream, comparing the angle of the buildings and the landscape on Google Maps (note the background), I also think the pictures were likely taken from the other tower.  With this equipment, getting a sharp closeup of teams from that distance wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, that doesn't explain how he happened to be taking pictures of the TAR teams...however, Google also shows cruise ships dock very near where the towers are, and he has a number of shots of ships and the harbor in his other photos, so maybe he does live/work in the building. 

I also think the pictures we've seen show at least two teams...

Since I posted the above, I saw a reference to the towers having condominiums. I guess he managed to get into the building somehow and get some pictures of the action. That's lucky for us!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:38:43 AM by Plaidmoon »

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #498 on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Yes, and if he has a place on that side of the building, he faces Hickam AFB (and Honolulu Airport) across the channel, which is how he was able to see the plane so well from his balcony (I assume it landed and took off from Hickam). So it fits for both situations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:59:26 PM by lovetherace »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #499 on: December 21, 2011, 01:41:45 AM »
EVERYONE Please note!!

BLOGS are different from Tweets. Tweets are meant to go out to the world, they are not private.

Blogs are an author's property. They BELONG to someone.

They should be considered as copyrighted material.

RFF tries to be very responsible in crediting owners and their work.

We make EVERY effort to contact the owner of the blog and ask for permission to use their story and their pictures before using them. Most blog owners are very generous with sharing. BUT we always ask first.

Sometimes there is no way to contact a blogger, in that case we credit them, and LINK to their work.

SO please, check in with me before doing anything except linking to a blog? I can tell you where we stand with contacting the authors, or if it is new to us.

We all get excited with a new find, but ask okay? Thanks!!

Oval actually found the Osaka blog ...and we have been waiting (sorta) patiently to hear from them! SO hope they don't mind us Jumping the gun!

I have some just few comments about Peach's post in the live board.

Actually, it is already given that anything posted on the Internet is (whether you like it or not) , except places that have passwords given to a few select audience (e.g. Facebook posts, unless the posts themselves where made public). Whatever posted online that is accessible to ALL persons is considered PUBLIC (whatever means to search it or to obtain it).

Twitter is also a form of blogging (in fact, Twitter is a micro-blogging website, a mini version of what bloggers do). Along with blog posts, tweets have owners too... so if blogs should be granted permission first, tweets must too, right? :lol:

Simply said, I do not get the difference between the two except their platforms and their mediums. :lol: That blog post about the Japanese sighting is actually, like most blogs, public, because we were able to see it. Even though it is kinda a personal blog, it is still public, and we can't be sued for "stealing" info. :lol: Its just one of the two: (1) A credit is considered enough for blogs, just like tweets. OR (2) just like blogs, tweets should be asked prior permission too.

But I am NOT saying we should share facts from blogs without prior permission. :lol: What Peach meant was basically this:

Do NOT share blog finds without OUR permission from them. You can share tweets though without restrictions, just give credit. :tup:

ETA: We should really never try to forget to ask permission first and then give credit. A blogger might not realize his/her posts are public, and so we need to ask permission so that he can be aware of this. :tup:

Sorry for being so technical.  :cmas19 :cmaslol (I don't know where to post this post, too! :lol:)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D