Author Topic: EP 6 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 36501 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 6 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
Well beside the bit last week about other religions there hasn't been a single negative moment for me with Andy & Tommy.  Got along with each other, get along with other teams, don't stress out under pressure, and get along with locals.

That's a keeper for me.

And since so many of their wins have been due to others errors it isn't like they are an Eric & Jeremy and just kicking other teams asses left and right.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »
IMO, not making errors is a very valuable racing skill
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
^Absolutely.

It's not like the team that made a dumb mistake deserved to win just because they arrived first. It's not a stolen win when a team does something wrong. If you can't avoid errors you won't survive and I can't think of team that is more error free than Andy and Tommy.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
They didn't steal the win from Justin and Jennifer. The point here is, rushing for a truck which is probably not meant for them. They need to keep in line. I don't know, I just think it is not right for them to rush for a truck they probably know belonged to others. (They gave the guilty face and talked about how when the people pointed them to the truck, they just ran and took it)

They didn't even care if Jeremy and Sandy got there before them or not!

On a side note, the last 3 teams were the first 3 teams for last leg.

And Bill and Cathi, passing so many teams = <3

Bill and Cathi, they're impressing me with their racing skills at their age. Like seriously, they may be old and everything.. but Cathi on the way to the pitstop is just amazing and I had no idea how they did that. LESS MISTAKES = BETTER LEG PLACINGS! GO BILL AND CATHI!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
They said the man at the store pointed them to the truck. They did not arrive on the trucks, how does someone know which is theirs? :duno:

They all seemed to get random different looking trucks, some teams were stopping trucks that were driving by.

Besides I was also referencing mswood who said they only earned one of their wins.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
They indeed only "earned" one of their wins, isn't that the case? The rest of it was based on other's mistakes. Not saying that there's anything wrong with it, but the only leg they won based on their "own efforts and not by the mistake of others" was the Phuket leg.. so mswood's technically right.

I think they just got lucky the man pointed them to the truck before Jeremy and Sandy got a chance to see their own truck. I'm not even a Jeremy and Sandy fan... I just felt that somehow Andy and Tommy knew the truck that they took shouldn't be theirs and they jumped upon the chance nevertheless. At least the edit felt that way.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »
They indeed only "earned" one of their wins, isn't that the case? The rest of it was based on other's mistakes. Not saying that there's anything wrong with it, but the only leg they won based on their "own efforts and not by the mistake of others" was the Phuket leg.. so mswood's technically right.

I think they just got lucky the man pointed them to the truck before Jeremy and Sandy got a chance to see their own truck. I'm not even a Jeremy and Sandy fan... I just felt that somehow Andy and Tommy knew the truck that they took shouldn't be theirs and they jumped upon the chance nevertheless. At least the edit felt that way.
Well, it would have been way different if Jeremy and Sandy confronted them and claimed the taxi as theirs, but Andy and Tommy just found a truck and kept racing.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:25 PM »
I just felt that somehow Andy and Tommy knew the truck that they took shouldn't be theirs and they jumped upon the chance nevertheless. At least the edit felt that way

That is an assumption you are making that wasn't supported by anything that the editors included in the episode. No penalty was announced, and no instruction was referenced in the clue about how to get a truck to transport the bed frames. And Andy and Tommy did make up time carrying the bed frames from the road to the pit stop mat. Had Jennifer-Justin stopped and paid their truck first, they would not have been first, Andy and Tommy would have been since they did pay for the truck before they left the driver. So I don't think the win (or the truck) was "stolen."
As additional support for my view of this, go back and look at the leg in Indonesia involving getting water and using only two buckets. Laurence-Zac were penalized 15 minutes even though they arrived before Andy-Tommy in that leg because they used more than two buckets to draw the water. That, to me, is pretty strong evidence that Andy-Tommy did not err in this leg, as Phil would have mentioned it and announced some sort of penalty if they had.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41:29 PM »
Prophet

I wasn't trying to say they didn't deserve to win any of there legs, only that they had due to others errors.  I tired to point out that it's not that they have won 4 legs because they were racing circles around the other team (like Eric and Jerermy had managed by their sixth episode). 

Just trying to point out that teams have been much closer then the wins suggest.

As for a local telling them a truck was there's, sorry but locals win over other racers.  And they were told by the local that it was for them.  While it might have been Jeremy and Sandy they have no way of knowing.  After all it could very well be like calling cabs, you can have ten people calling cabs and the cabs don't necessarily come in the order you call them.  This wasn't something where pick a number and proceed in that order. 

Sure they got lucky in that, but luck and public transport are hardly something new to Tar.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »
I understand Mswood. :tup:

But I don't understand all the Andy and Tommy hate. :(

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
(Joab) I just felt that somehow Andy and Tommy knew the truck that they took shouldn't be theirs and they jumped upon the chance nevertheless. At least the edit felt that way

(theschnauzers) That is an assumption you are making that wasn't supported by anything that the editors included in the episode. No penalty was announced, and no instruction was referenced in the clue about how to get a truck to transport the bed frames.

Sandy is shown reading from the clue "You should ask the shop owner to call a driver" to transport the bed.

Andy (or Tommy) are shown, as they drive away, saying "That guy said to take the truck so we ran over.  This could have been their truck, who knows."

So they did have an idea they were taking someone else's truck.  Can't say they made a mistake by taking the chance when offered; we've seen this (and worse!) in other seasons. It was one of the shop people who apparently told them they could have it.

What I wondered about was why Laurence and Zac didn't get a penalty for what appeared to be just flagging down a truck passing by and using that as transport. 

Not to mention that, yet again, they failed to fully read the clue - especially after first trying to get the beds into/onto the taxi.

(Sorry if I didn't do the quotes right, still a little new at this.)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Amani & MArcus cab breaks down (why are they in a cab, what did I miss).
mswood,
The cab was to take them to follow their truck. Apparently they did not want to hang off the truck or in the bed of the truck so they probably kept their previous taxi and used it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Damn Justin & Jennifer are not team #1, didn't pay fair.  ANdy & Tommy team #1, win a trip to virgin isalnds (that can't be fun), where is teh Tramp Islands.
mswood,
It's a private island in the British Virgin Islands named Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina. You can look at it on www.scrubisland.com.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »

Andy (or Tommy) are shown, as they drive away, saying "That guy said to take the truck so we ran over.  This could have been their truck, who knows."

So they did have an idea they were taking someone else's truck.  Can't say they made a mistake by taking the chance when offered; we've seen this (and worse!) in other seasons. It was one of the shop people who apparently told them they could have it.

I don't think Andy or Tommy had any knowledge that they were taking someone else's truck, they were told by the person at the bed frame place to take that truck, and that's what they did. If there was a mistake, it was a production mistake, not a Racer mistake. And it's very rare for the show to make any announced adjustment for it. (The last one I can remember was a detour task involving pianos and music in Russia; I'd have to look up which Race and leg that was.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
(The last one I can remember was a detour task involving pianos and music in Russia; I'd have to look up which Race and leg that was.)

TAR17 Leg 6. Nick & Vicki came in last that leg and didnt had to perform a SpeedBump during the next one.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
(The last one I can remember was a detour task involving pianos and music in Russia; I'd have to look up which Race and leg that was.)

TAR17 Leg 6. Nick & Vicki came in last that leg and didnt had to perform a SpeedBump during the next one.

That's because there were quite a few people who got the piano music right and weren't properly told that.

Belle Book

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »

I don't think Andy or Tommy had any knowledge that they were taking someone else's truck, they were told by the person at the bed frame place to take that truck, and that's what they did. If there was a mistake, it was a production mistake, not a Racer mistake. And it's very rare for the show to make any announced adjustment for it. (The last one I can remember was a detour task involving pianos and music in Russia; I'd have to look up which Race and leg that was.)

Have to respectfully disagree; I do think they had an idea it might be someone else's truck based on their comment, plus the fact they would've seen Jeremy and Sandi when they got to the shop and knew they were ahead of them.

However, agree that it wasn't their mistake, if they were told by the people at the shop to take it.  In fact, to me it's always been part of the game to take whatever chance you can, so even if they had taken it without being told to, that's part of how things are played.  It's always hard to tell from the editing, but it looked like things were moving fast; a truck came, they were told to take it, and didn't wait around to sort out what was doing with the other teams. 

Rather than reminding me of the Russia/piano situation this reminds me more of the Cowboys last season - didn't they take the Globetrotters' waiting cab at one point?

I was originally responding to posters upthread who thought it was really bad for Andy and Tommy to take the truck.  It might not come across as the most polite thing to do, but unless there's a penalty, it's allowed.

Still a little confused about Laurence and Zac's situation though.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:43:17 AM by lovetherace »

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
I don't think Andy & Tommy were intentionally stealing the truck from Jeremy & Sandy, but rather taking the truck assigned to them by the guy at the shop. If I was in a race for a million dollars and was told that was my truck, I'd take it. There isn't any time to play wait in line and pass up a truck because it's polite. Who could know when the next truck would arrive.

lovetherace, the clue said you should call a truck, not you must. Teams were free to transport their beds to the pitstop however they needed to. It was obvious that every team would have a truck driver transport them, just how they got it was open for the team to decide. At least thats my interpretation.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
Yeah, I can't see how any rational being would think that Andy & Tommy took another's truck.

They don't go for it, until the local tells them too.  Even Jeremy & Sandy just say it might be there truck (they have no knowledge on if it is theirs).   Andy & Tommy after that occurs and the truck is pulling away say it might have been the other teams.

Might doesn't mean it is.  If you are told by the local it's your's the it's yours.  Period.  Thats the way the race has always occurred.

There isn't a que.  There isn't a line, nor do they draw a number.  They are entirely dependent on what the locals tell them.

I mean seriously how many episodes have occurred where some one calls for a cab, and it isn't the first one to arrive? Ever been a group where that happens, I have. 

First you would have to know where those trucks were dispatched from (which we don't).  Then we would have to know if this truck was even one of the ones which were dispatched (which we don't know). 

Season Nine Fran and Barry call and reserve a cab, Joseph calls a cab later.  Guess what Fran and Barry accuse Mojo of stealing their cab.  But what happened is their cab never arrived (and it cost them the race).  And its not the first time, cabs from a  later caller arrived first.

It is not nor has it ever been up to the racers to get clarification from another source that the local is in fact correct or in error.

Simply thinking Andy & Tommy took it, is irrational.  Pure and simple.  Or that it was done with advance knowledge.  No facts that are present support that belief.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »
What I wonder is how Jeremy and Sandy had laid some mysterious claim to that particular truck. Sandy seemed to think that since they arrived second they had a right to that one. But it wasn't some kind of pull of numbers task. It was a very chaotic environment where people were stopping trucks in the road and there were trucks being called. It's just the way things work in Africa. It seems like Andy and Tommy were trying to go tell the guy to call them a truck and he pointed out that there was one over there so they took it. The later teams to arrive seemed to abandon the idea of calling one.

Besides all that, it is a race and I would take anything I could to get ahead being in their shoes. You never know if you are in a race with whoever you can see for last place. No one has time to stop and have an argument about the semantics of truck calling :lol:

IMO, those trying to accuse Andy and Tommy of such a thing are those who hate\dislike them for no particular reason. I would like someone to give me a legitimate reason to hate\dislike them.