Author Topic: EP 5 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 36386 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 5 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »
Off to download my illegal copy in HD now.  Cheers.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
I didn't like how easy both Roadblocks were, it was so pointless to have 2 easy Roadblocks in a leg? I believe they intended to go to Phuket since the last leg was pretty well structured? But this Bangkok leg.. it's bad!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
I don't think we've ever had such a front-loaded leg as this one before. All the tasks except the last route marker to the pit stop in the first 18 minutes!

And Ernie has the bluest pair of eyes I've ever seen on a HDTV. Those just glow when the camera is close enough.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
This is the weirdest leg I have EVER seen :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
Prophet, you're right. It's really weird and badly structured. I guess this is the last minute leg...

And by right, we had 2 legs in such a small town like Phuket?

And I don't get why teams are ripped off of their USD. Seriously. If a cab ride for just a few stops in Phuket cost $150 USD, i'll quit studying now and go be a cab driver in Phuket too. Money's too good. I can easily make like $500 a day and $15,000 a month? :lol:

NoluckBoston

« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »
I concur with the statements above. I am happy that Ma and Pa are still in it.

This was the leg that rubbed me the wrong-way for the last time for the Snowboarders.  I was not feeling them early on and none now.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
I concur with the statements above. I am happy that Ma and Pa are still in it.

This was the leg that rubbed me the wrong-way for the last time for the Snowboarders.  I was not feeling them early on and none now.

What happened? I didn't really like them much.. but they're okay for now? They're still calm in a stressful situation to the pitstop though. :lol:

NoluckBoston

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
I cant explain it, but it was with their personal feelings at the rebuild temple road block. With out string a hornets nest about religion, it just rubbed me wrong.

Brother and Sis, moved up my list though.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
Driver goes after them.

They pull a Colin.

They should have lol, those crazy people deserved it. And more drama <33

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
It's because of Liz and Marie we see all the nice thai people who're willing to help Americans in troubles... I wonder how many minutes they're behind Jeremy and Sandy. :'(

I just loved them and I'm so sorry to see them gone. They didn't whine, they were prepared to run as long as it took and yes, they found good people who would help them. (Making up for the ones who charged too much.) 

I'm loving Bill and Cathi too.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
I didn't like how easy both Roadblocks were, it was so pointless to have 2 easy Roadblocks in a leg? I believe they intended to go to Phuket since the last leg was pretty well structured? But this Bangkok leg.. it's bad!

I agree, the water thing was really dumb but I think they wanted two roadblocks so they could avoid coming up with a Detour. In most legs it would have been an active RI.

Well, now we know what their backup legs look like.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
Yes. I was just about to comment on the fact that.. while we always see cab drivers who're ripping off the racers in a foreign third world country, let's not forget the good ones who helped Liz and Marie complete the leg and made it a wonderful journey for them! :wohoo: :hrt:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
Really the last leg this jacked up (beside Family Edition) was one in season 6.

I think that one was actually worse, and I have no idea if that one was due to a sudden change in plans (which we think this one was).

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »

I think that one was actually worse, and I have no idea if that one was due to a sudden change in plans (which we think this one was).
Yes. I was just about to comment on the fact that.. while we always see cab drivers who're ripping off the racers in a foreign third world country, let's not forget the good ones who helped Liz and Marie complete the leg and made it a wonderful journey for them! :wohoo: :hrt:
I am always amazed that this would happen even with sound and camera men recording.

I am less surprised to see kindness from strangers, when they have a camera crew.

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »

I know, as we saw 2 sides of cab drivers. I could not believe that there were some that gave the twins a ride for free.

And this, after I was feeling the same way about cab drivers, the way Jess & Lani did in TARA4, after seeing Ernie & Cindy getting ripped off at the bus station.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »

I agree, the water thing was really dumb but I think they wanted two roadblocks so they could avoid coming up with a Detour. In most legs it would have been an active RI.

Well, now we know what their backup legs look like.

I feel that they didn't wanted a Detour because that would mean another task to plan. :lol:

The RB really had nothing to do with the culture of Thailand.. except with the scenery.. which wasn't even great.. they were focusing on the muddy water in the "lake" instead.

The building the spirit temple one could have been a better Roadblock, for example make it even harder, focusing on details, make it hard to build, eyes for details in terms of colours/patterns/designs.

And... going to Bangkok all the way just so that they wouldn't have "2 legs" in Phuket? Come on WRP, we're not dumbs, we know that all the tasks in this leg took place in Phuket. Teams merely travelled to Bangkok to check-in. :res:

I'm not going to say Liz and Marie would have survived with a badly planned leg.. but with a leg like this, I thought it would have been better for the last leg to be a TBC, anyone with me? Then teams just had to continue with the tasks... then travel to Bangkok to check-in. But I guessed they needed to be on schedule. T_T

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

We thought the last one was. Apparently, this one is. :lol: (I think?)

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »
Joab

I think actually they had a better chance to survive this episode then a typical episode.

Since the bulk of this leg's time (the time it takes to due all task and get to Pit Stop) was in public transport.  It allows factors like traffic, good and bad cab drivers, faster and slower buses to have a greater impact then normal.

I think on a typical episode they would have really been toast.  THis is of course without me watching the first 20 minutes.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
Without having to search through all the postings,

what was the proposed leg and do we know?

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
nevermind

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »
it was a messy leg, but Bill and Cathi placing 2nd hauls it up for me! :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
And... going to Bangkok all the way just so that they wouldn't have "2 legs" in Phuket? Come on WRP, we're not dumbs, we know that all the tasks in this leg took place in Phuket. Teams merely travelled to Bangkok to check-in. :res:

I'm not going to say Liz and Marie would have survived with a badly planned leg.. but with a leg like this, I thought it would have been better for the last leg to be a TBC, anyone with me? Then teams just had to continue with the tasks... then travel to Bangkok to check-in. But I guessed they needed to be on schedule. T_T

I know, they just threw in that feeding the fish task as filler. :lol: "Hmm, big fish!" :lol3:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »
Apologies if this has been posted before, but the bus we see leaving the Phuket terminal is NOT Liz and Marie's bus, but some other random public bus to Hat Yai further South.

I'm surprised the Laurence & Zac got tripped up by the first class issue. While 'first class' is clearly defined in air travel, bus companies in places like South-East Asia can basically call their bus whatever class they like, such as 'first class', 'premier', 'executive' or anything else that sounds important.

As for how the buses could have been reshuffled so dramatically in going to Bangkok, they will have stopped at least 2 or 3 times en route for a 'rest stop', probably at completely different places for each company. Sometimes these can be a quick toilet break, or sometimes even for close to an hour. Speaking from experience, the arrival times that you get quoted for the journeys usually have absolutely no relevance, so it would have been near impossible to work out which bus was supposed to arrive first.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »
Joab

I think actually they had a better chance to survive this episode then a typical episode.

Since the bulk of this leg's time (the time it takes to due all task and get to Pit Stop) was in public transport.  It allows factors like traffic, good and bad cab drivers, faster and slower buses to have a greater impact then normal.

I think on a typical episode they would have really been toast.  THis is of course without me watching the first 20 minutes.

I really do not agree on that. Anything can happen. The bulk of this leg's time was on public transport, that was maybe why the twins spent loads of time walking/looking around for people who are willing to pick them out which might have been edited out... you can look at it this way too. On normal legs, they did decent and did not really make any mistakes, that's what I feel. They may not be the best team, but they're ran some pretty decent legs.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
Money management was key on these two legs. How much to exchange and when to do is very important.

Wise teams save as much as possible for the unknown from leg to leg.

Something happened so that L/M ran short in Phuket, as per the inside video from last leg, although we never know what and they don't either.

But I doubt production expected such high rip-off taxi fees for the first part of this leg, it seems to have left everyone short.

Without the money issues, I think they might have survived.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.