Author Topic: TAR 19 EP 5 "I Feel Like I'm in the Circus" (Bangkok, Thailand)  (Read 60050 times)

Offline Kartvelophile

• RFF Newbie
Re: TAR 19 EP 5 "I Feel Like I'm in the Circus" (Bangkok, Thailand)
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
pic15 in reply 26 has the ocean/shoreline in the background

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
:welcome2: to RFF, Kartvelophile!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
pic15 in reply 26 has the ocean/shoreline in the background

I have all the caps for this, and I just don't see it...the background is too greyed out to be sure, to my eye anyway!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
good jobs you guys  :wohoo:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:53:08 AM by banzai »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2011, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »

According to Kartvelophile, this picture is between that task location and the bus station which aren't that far apart. Either they have to walk or the stranded banner indicated that Liz and Marie cannot afford a taxi. But since he identified Jeremy and Sandy as being in that area as well they probably all have to walk. This would give opportunity to become easily lost but it is not too far to walk.

Now that we know about this task I don't think the roadblock could be in Phuket. If it were they would have to do that there, take the bus to Bangkok, walk to the canal and then take taxis to some location like the national park to do the elephants (detour?). The canal thing seems like the first task they do after getting off the buses.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Thanks for the 4-square info!!

And here is a tour that talks about  fishies at the WAT.

Program C (1 and a half hour cruising include lunch)- operating only on Sat and Sun Price in Thai Baht
  Start at 09.00. Depart from River City Peir, cruise by long-tail boat along Chao Phraya river and canals, pass the Royal Barges museum, Fish farm at Wat Srisudaram and Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) (include admission fee of Wat Arun). After cruising, lunch will be served at La Grande Perle French Restaurant with European Set Lunch menu, coffe, tea and drinking water.

So this is A wat...but NOT the spirit house wat.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
I thought we decided the elephants were in the Phuket area (getting bigger all the time, that little island!)
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Now that we know about this task I don't think the roadblock could be in Phuket. If it were they would have to do that there, take the bus to Bangkok, walk to the canal and then take taxis to some location like the national park to do the elephants (detour?). The canal thing seems like the first task they do after getting off the buses.

Well...that is if there is only ONE RB, right??

Eddie has been trying to tell us something. :lol:

And we do see Marcus and Andy both searching in the waterfall for a wrapped bundle...AND we have the spirit house task as well...so :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
I thought we decided the elephants were in the Phuket area (getting bigger all the time, that little island!)

I don't think that is confirmed...

But IF the washing elephants is a speedbump, one would hope that was early in the leg to give a team a chance at catching up.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
The canal thing seems like the first task they do after getting off the buses.

Can we confirm the direction they are heading from this pic? As in AWAY from the bus station or TOWARDS the bus station?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Ouagadougou

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The Amazing Race
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »

:iok

I don't think that my idea is correct... but i will try to check if my possible speculation is correct...

Stating Line: Might be in kho panyyi to get to phang nga or in phuket...

Route Info:Take a taxi to the temple (that we finally found but no name) and search for you next clue :)

Roadblock: Decorate a spirit house to get your next clue ("Who is ready to appease spirits?"-- what a good roadblock to ask)
 :lol:

Route Info: Travel by bus to Bangkok: and Go to Khao Yai Park to search for your next clue

Detour: (i hope my detour choice is good and awesome.. hehehe)- ("Ride the Wild or Dive the Waters")- One choice is to ride the elephant and travel to their next destination and get their next clue---- The other choice is to go to the Khao Yai Water falls and dive the waters to find an artifact? of something ancient... and give it to the person in exchange for their next clue...

Route Info: Take a taxi to the next pit stop: Wat Srisudaram... near the Chao Phraya River/Canal

hahahah what a leg...
the Amazing Racer will race for an adventure of a lifetime....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
The problem with that is that Khao Yai National Park is 196 KM and ~3 HOURS away from Bangkok.

Although I do still like that location for our tasks.... ???

And you forgot the feed the fish clue...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
The canal thing seems like the first task they do after getting off the buses.

Can we confirm the direction they are heading from this pic? As in AWAY from the bus station or TOWARDS the bus station?

Bangkok has no street view so not for sure.

Here is what we are looking at:

The orange A is the bus station, the green is where Liz and Marie are in cap #20, the purple is the Wat where the task is. The red circle is generally where Jeremy and Sandy are in caps with the hedges and the bus going by. Tthe blue circle is where they are with the red political sign.

Thanks Kartvelophile for the info!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
That is a HUGE help, thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
I'm going to stick my trunk out on this one  :lol: and claim that the elephant riding takes place in the Ton Pariwat Wildlife Sanctuary.   :neener:

And that the Spirit House Roadblock takes place at the Wat in Nop Pring.   :neener:

Here is the far away map and zoom in maps if I can make them fit.

The reasoning is merely geometric matches to shadows, roof, trees, and hillside.  Because I haven't found any other wat that come close in those terms.   :jam:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Here are the preview caps:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
Ha! you beat me!

I was just doing a post about Ton Pariwat too...but for totally different reasons.

Since we hear Sandy saying they could be last, that sounds like an end of leg comment to me.

So Bangkok should be last.

khao yai park is just too far away.

Ton Pariwat is in Phang Nga, and so is the exact match photo to the Wat screencap (except in better condition)

And the elephant seats match pretty well :lol: And there is a pool with a waterfall that looks possible.

So I vote for PitStart>> elephant riding and speedbump elephant washing as the first task with ?? RB in the water and another RB of spirirt house building at a temple somewhere in Phang Nga..Eddie says  it's a temple in the song prak district of phuket, which is also part of Phang Nga.

I cannot judge your wat, but just like this!!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
yes there are 2 roadblocks.  the temple is a wat followed by a 11-12 letter "c" word.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
Eddy, that sounds dirty. 

Wat do you mean?

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:40 PM »
Eddy, that sounds dirty. 

Wat do you mean?

LOL there are 2 roadblocks in this episode.  the spirit one we are looking for is a "wat" followed by a 11-12 letter "c" word.  perhaps a wat chan...something.

Offline Kartvelophile

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2011, 12:13:40 AM »
The Royal Turf Club pic, the contestants at that instant are walking away from the bus station. I would bet you money they got on the BTS (I believe 40 THB or 1.15ish USD per person) from Ekamai BTS (also known as the Skytrain... which I think is where Team Cha Cha Cha picked up Fern) and got off at either Phaya Thai or Ratchatewi Station. The ones near the Grand Palace probably got off at either Siam or National Stadium (National Stadium would involve a transfer). Ratchatewi and Phaya Thai are a block away from each other. So are Siam and National Stadium. The fare from Ekamai to Siam would be the same or slightly less than Ekamai-Ratchatewi. The ones near the Turf Club probably got info from locals where the Grand Palace ones probably looked at a map and decided (wrongly) where to get off. 

The way the roads are laid out, that would explain why those teams are so far apart geography wise. To get from Siam Station to the Grand Palace walking is an hourish if you know where you're going and I went sort of fast. And I never walked Ratchatewi to Banglamphu. I always took a motorcycle taxi... however if you were walking, the Turf Club people are doing it the fastest way.

And BTW, Phra Nakorn on the Google Map is not Phra Nakorn as I use it. The Phra Nakorn on the Google Map is the name of a specifically named municipal administrative district... I would call what Google Maps says is Phra Nakorn "Banglamphu", which is the neighborhood where I lived. The way that I used Phra Nakorn was the island (bounded by the Chao Phraya and the canals). It's also known as Rattanakosin Island, but no one uses that name anymore.

Map of Phra Nakorn District: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_Phra_Nakhon.png

And another thing: Elephants are everywhere in Thailand. I would actually think that the elephant task is somewhere between BKK and Pattaya, especially if we know they are at Ekamai Station.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:54:07 AM by Kartvelophile »

Offline Kartvelophile

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »
And Forests for the elephants task like that can be seen anywhere 30 min outside of BKK Metro. Elephants, if arranged are everywhere (for tourists).  Khao Yai's forest would probably be denser than that as it's primarily old growth.

The way I would see it is:

Route Info Task of building a Spirit house.

Go to BKK

Go to near Pattaya for elephants

Go to Thonburi (here they call it Bangkok Noi... Google Maps needs to start using the local names not the administrative names.)

Pit Stop somewhere in Thonburi/Phra Nakorn/Dusit (in my dream world, it would be one of the Royal Palaces in Dusit)

===========

Note on Wats: If some rich Thai guy liked a wat, they would just use the plans and details to build a replica where they wanted. That was done rather frequently, especially in the past 100 years. There are limits, like Wat Pho and the hilltop temple in Chiang Mai are considered too special. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is the same. I still think the background is a shoreline and ocean.

=========

The people that are walking by the hedges are actually very close to the Grand Palace. And the two pics that I said were walking near Bangkok City Hall are close to the Grand Palace as well. (Bangkok City Hall is a 15-ish minute walk to the Grand Palace)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:41:05 AM by Kartvelophile »

Offline Ouagadougou

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The Amazing Race
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »

Is there a possible Fast Forward in the leg?
the Amazing Racer will race for an adventure of a lifetime....

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:01 AM »
i dont think there would be one...since we have 2 roadblocks, there probably wouldnt be enough time to fit in a fast forward.