Author Topic: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 12 is on page 2  (Read 11185 times)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 12 is on page 2
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:42:27 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 1, "Kindness of strangers"
Film date: 18-20/6-2011

I have tried to estimate distances and driving times every now and then. This data, from Google, is an approximation at best and may have no relationship to reality.

The race starts at the Hsi Lai temple in the foothills of Los Angeles. Teams are transported there by the TAR bus (with covered windows) and are:
  • Andy & Tommy, former Olympic snowboarders from California
  • Ethan & Jenna, former winners of Survivor and dating for 7 years
  • Laurence & Zac, father and son adventurers from Thousand Oaks, California (Zac was the first person under 18 sailing solo around the world)
  • Ernie & Cindy, recently engaged from Chicago, Illinois
  • Justin & Jennifer, Brother and sister from Stone Mountain, Georgia
  • Bill & Cathi, married grandparents from Albany, Oregon
  • Liz & Marie, twin sisters from Deerfield, Illinois
  • Jeremy & Sandy, dating from the San Francisco bay area
  • Ron & Bill, domestic partners and flight attendants from southern California
  • Amani & Marcus, married 10 years from Pine Mountain, Georgia (he is a former NFL player)
  • Kaylani & Lisa, former showgirls from Las Vegas, Nevada (they think they are smarter than they look, time will tell)

At the starting line Phil informs that there will be 12 legs. And the winners of the first leg will get an express pass. This allows them to skip one challenge any time during the first eight legs of the race.

This year there is a starting line challenge. Behind Phil is a wall filled with folded umbrellas. Each umbrella bears three letters which are visible when unfolded. Above teams will get to see six fixed letters which when combined with the right umbrella letters twice, gives the letters needed to spell the first destination. The task is to find an umbrella with the right characters on and bring it to Phil.

The fixed letters they get to see are "WANPEI". The destination sought is "Taipei Taiwan" and the letters needed are "TAI". Once teams give Phil a correct umbrella they will get a set of keys to a car outside the temple.

Phil also informs teams that the last team to complete this initial challenge will receive a new penalty called a Hazard, which will have to be performed sometimes during this leg. With that he is done torturing the teams and let the loose on the first challenge.

Choice quotes:
 "Look for vowels", Tommy has a good idea

Teams complete the umbrella challenge in the following order:
  1. Andy & Tommy
  2. Amani & Marcus
  3. Liz & Marie
  4. Ethan & Jenna
  5. Jeremy & Sandy
  6. Ernie & Cindy
  7. Ron & Bill
  8. Bill & Cathi
  9. Laurence & Zac
 10. Justin & Jennifer
 11. Kaylani & Lisa

Once in the cars teams are greeted by a short video of Phil "Congratulations on figuring out where you're going to next, Taipei Taiwan. ... You may only travel on these flights, China airlines which will carry the first 8 teams and Eva air, which departs 20 minutes later.". Teams also receive a clue envelope with additional instructions.

Teams must now drive themselves to LAX (57km 0:39). Some of them stop at the first gas station to ask for directions. So did Kaylani & Lisa, but they left more than a memory behind as Kaylani's passport fell out of the car. A guy from the gas station then tweeted that he had been randomly filmed for the race and that one contestant dropped her passport. This was spotted by the über-fans on the forum (Peach and Walkinpneumonia) and they tweeted back that he had to got to LAX to return it.

A short while Later Kaylani realize she has lost her passport. When she can't find it in the car they go back to the gas station, but the passport is nowhere to be found. Eventually they decide to drive to LAX anyway, hoping that one of the other teams has foudn it and brough it with them. Meanwhile Phil is also en route to LAX to perform an on the spot elimination. But fortunately for Kaylani & Lisa the stranger from the gas station actually made it to LAX and pages Kaylani, so she is reunited with her passport minutes before the check-in closes.

Choice quotes:
 "I'm seriously gonna vomit all over the place", Kaylani is stressed from having lost her passport
 "She's all angry right now. Angry is not going get us anywhere now", later in the airport shuttle Kaylani is pragmatic while Lisa is angry

Teams make the flights in the following order:

Flight #1, China Air CI7  LAX-TPE  00:57-05:00 (landed 50 minutes early)
  1(+6) Ron & Bill
  2(+2) Ethan & Jenna
  3(+3) Ernie & Cindy
  4(-2) Amani & Marcus
  5(+4) Laurence & Zac
  6(+4) Justin & Jennifer
  7(-6) Andy & Tommy
  8(-3) Jeremy & Sandy

Flight #2 Eva air BR1  LAX-TPE 01:15-05:34 (landed 26 minutes early)
  ? Liz & Marie
  ? Bill & Cathi
 11(+0) Kaylani & Lisa

There are many changes in the order between the temple and the check-in desk, this indicates that teams had trouble finding their way.

We get to see a short sequence from an airport bookstore where Ron & Bill look at guidebooks while Tommy is furiously copying something from one.

Ethan & Jenna had not planned to tell anybody there both won survivor. But they can forget that since they have already been recognized.

When teams land in Taipei they must make their way by bus to the Ximending commercial district. Here the clue says the should "Look up for their next clue". The clue they need is on a billboard which shows animated red and yellow dots (looks like balloons). Every now and then the billboard reveals four Chinese characters.

All the teams from the first flight make the same bus. Of the second flight Liz & Marie and Kaylani & Lisa makes the second bus while Bill & Cathi miss it and have to take a later bus.

In the bus Cindy asks Marcus if he a football player. He denies it and says he is doing protecting (like bodyguard). The truth is that he is a former NFL player, so he is a bit dodgy here.

Finding this clue is not easy, and the task is made harder by the fact that there are lots of yellow and red things around, including the very visible mushroom-shaped hat of a local street sweeper.

Choice quotes:
 "I mean, what are we looking for?", The snowboarders are bewildered
 "Is it going to be like a billboard or something", Cindy is on the right track
 "Everything here is race colors, people working in the streets had yellow and red hats on them, it's like practically the national color here", Jenna
 "I can't be them balloons up there can it?", Marcus has the right idea, but abandons it
 "It's exhausting to not only endure the challenges of the race, but to endure the challenges of our relationship as well", Justin quarrels a lot with his sister
 "I can't read it, but I can copy letters kind of well. 7 years of Chinese school hopefully", Cindy has studied Chinese and hopes she has learned something
 "That's pretty gnarly though", The snowboarders after they have found the clue
 "That has to be the tallest building", Bill has a bad interpretation of the clue

The camera men are happy because they get lots of shots of the teams walking right below the billboard.

Bill & Cathi miss the clue completely and wander around for more than four hours before they finally get it. By then they are way behind the other teams.

Once teams realize where the clue is they must find somebody who can translate it, which is not all that easy early in the morning. A lot of teams draw the characters on a piece of paper. Eventually they figure out that it reads "Confucius Temple" in the following order:
   1(+5) Justin & Jennifer, copied the message
   2(+2) Amani & Marcus, copied the message
   3(+5) Jeremy & Sandy
   4(-3) Ron & Bill
   5(-2) Ernie & Cindy, copied the message
   6(-4) Ethan & Jenna
   7(+0) Andy & Tommy
   8(-3) Laurence & Zac
   ?(+0) Liz & Marie, worked together with Kaylani & Lisa
   ?(+0) Kaylani & Lisa
  11(+0) Bill & Cathi

Teams travel by MRT from the billboard to the Taipei Confucius temple and arrive in the following order:
   1(+2) Jeremy & Sandy
   2(+3) Ernie & Cindy
   3(-1) Amani & Marcus
   4(+2) Justin & Jennifer, within seconds of #1
   5(-1) Ron & Bill
   6(+0) Ethan & Jenna
   7(+0) Andy & Tommy
   8(+0) Laurence & Zac
   9(+0) Kaylani & Lisa
  10(+0) Liz & Marie
  11(+0) Bill & Cathi

Road block
Confucius Says: Who's
ready to play telephone?

Team members must call a specific number from a payphone in the temple. They will then hear a Confucius proverb which they must memorize without taking any notes. They must then recite it word for word to a monk. The proverb is:

"In all things success depends on previous preparation. And without such previous preparation there is sure to be failure"

What they don't show is that teams first had to get a phone-card. They could either buy it in a store down the street, or borrow one from a local.

Choice quotes:
 "Yeah, 'cause they like to telephone", Marcus on why all the girls are doing the road block
 "After the 20th time I could feel a little bit of panic setting in", Ron
 "Liz, you said it every time", Marie complains when Liz misremember the phrase again
 "Oh, I can not hug you", Liz almost hugs the monk when she finally succeeds
 "After 41 years of marriage it is imperative you get the support you need from your partner", Bill is supportive at the temple
 "'Travel by taxi', oh god, my dream has come true", Cathi is tired of walking

Andy & Tommy played Rock-paper-scissors about who should do the road block. Andy wins so he gets to do the road block.

Teams complete the roadblock in the following order (* denotes team member performing the road block, and the numbers how many roadblocks each team member have performed):
1(+1)Ernie & Cindy*    (0-1)
2(+2)Justin & Jennifer*(0-1)
3(-2)Jeremy & Sandy*   (0-1)
4(+2)Ethan* & Jenna    (1-0)
5(-2)Amani* & Marcus   (1-0)
6(+2)Laurence & Zac*   (0-1)
7(-2)Ron* & Bill       (1-0)
8(-1)Andy* & Tommy     (1-0)
9(+0)Kaylani & Lisa*   (0-1)Succeeded on the first attempt shown
10(+0)Liz* & Marie      (1-0)
11(+0)Bill & Cathi*     (0-1)Succeeded on the first attempt shown
Kaylani and Cathi were the only contestants who seemed to succeed on their first attempt (according to what was shown).

The next clue reads
Travel by taxi to Dajia
Riverside Park and
search under the bridge
for your next clue

Or at least that is what is shown. In reality all teams had to make their way to the Core City Pacific mall (9.7km 0:22) and find their next clue on the 11th floor. It was there they found the clue telling them to go to Dajia Riverside Park.

It is in this mall which Kaylani & Lisa encounter their Hazard (which looks very much like a speed bump). One of them must perform a bungee jump inside the mall. Kaylani does this without any hesitation.

Choice quotes:
 "Last time I bungee jumped, my harness started to undo", Kaylani have had bad experiences
 "Oh my god", Even though she is experienced, Kaylani realizes it is a long way down
 "I said I would do anything for a million dollars, I meant it", Kaylani after the jump

Teams arrive at the Dajia Riverside park in the following order:
   1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
   2(+0) Justin & Jennifer
   3(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
   4(+0) Ethan & Jenna, after the first three teams have left
   5(+3) Andy & Tommy
   6(+0) Laurence & Zac
   7(-2) Amani & Marcus
   8(+1) Ron & Bill, after the first seven teams have left
   9(+0) Kaylani & Lisa   
  10(+0) Liz & Marie, after the first nine teams have left
  11(+0) Bill & Cathi, way behind

Route info:
Join a Dragon Boat race
team!

While one of you sets
the pace with a steady
drumbeat, the other will
join the oarsmen and
help row the boat around
a racecourse.

Once you've completed the
course, you will
receive your next clue.

Choice quotes:
 "I feel so asian right now", Cindy on the dragon boat
 "Yesss, we just caught up", Kaylani is excited when they see Ron & Bill at the dragon boats
 "It's beautiful out here", Cathi appreciates the surroundings
 "That was more fun than I had all day", Cathi did enjoy the dragon boats

Teams complete this task in the following order:
   1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, Cindy drummed
   2(+1) Jeremy & Sandy, Sandy drummed
   3(-1) Justin & Jennifer, Jennifer drummed
   4(+0) Ethan & Jenna, Jenna drummed
   5(+0) Andy & Tommy, Andy drummed
   6(+0) Laurence & Zac, Laurence drummed
   7(+0) Amani & Marcus, Amani drummed
   8(+0) Ron & Bill, Ron drummed
   9(+0) Kaylani & Lisa, Lisa drummed
  10(+0) Liz & Marie, Marie drummed
  11(+0) Bill & Cathi, Cathi drummed

Route info:
Make your way to the
next Pit Stop: National
Revolutionary Martyrs'
Shrine.

Warning!! The last
Team to check-in may
be eliminated.

The temple is not far away (2km 0:06). Teams reach it in the
following order:
   1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, win the express pass
   2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
   3(+0) Justin & Jennifer
   4(+0) Ethan & Jenna
   5(+2) Amani & Marcus
   6(+0) Laurence & Zac, sprinted past #7
   7(-2) Andy & Tommy
   8(+0) Ron & Bill
   9(+0) Kaylani & Lisa   
  10(+0) Liz & Marie
  11(+0) Bill & Cathi, 4+ hours after the rest but are saved by a non-elimination

Choice quotes:
 "Control freak Cindy on the race is actually a pretty good team mate", Ernie appreciates Cindy

It is good to see that almost all teams actually run up to the Pit Stop. This shows a competitive spirit.

Finally we also learn that the next leg is going to feature a double elimination. Ethan is going to lose his clue and many teams think they have made fatal blunders.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:51:08 PM by maf »

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 1 is on page 1
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »
Great report!

I found it funny that Marcus said he wasn't going to outright lie to the teams, and he didn't! He said he does some 'protecting' which is technically true, being a tight end!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »
Thaks Maf!! Another awesome job!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Great report!

I found it funny that Marcus said he wasn't going to outright lie to the teams, and he didn't! He said he does some 'protecting' which is technically true, being a tight end!
Another perspective is that Marcus has been retired for 7 years from professional football, so what he said was not just technically true but totally true.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
Another perspective is that Marcus has been retired for 7 years from professional football, so what he said was not just technically true but totally true.

I stand by that IMHO what he said is technically true. He did evade the question, it was sloppily constructed which left a big loophole. But he understood what they were asking and choose not to respond to that.

/MaF

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 2
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 2, "The sprint of our lives"
Film date: 21-22/6 2011

I have tried to estimate distances and driving times every now and then. This data, from Google, is an approximation at best and may have no relation to reality.

Teams are released from the pit stop at the Martyr Shrine in Taipei in the following order:
1.Ernie & Cindy    21:28
2.Jeremy & Sandy   21:36(+0:08)
3.Justin & Jennifer21:39(+0:11)
4.Ethan & Jenna    22:07(+0:39)
5.Amani & Marcus   22:15(+0:47)
6.Laurence & Zac   22:22(+0:54)
7.Andy & Tommy     22:23(+0:55)
8.Ron & Bill       22:48(+1:20)
9.Kaylani & Lisa   23:09(+1:41)
10.Liz & Marie      23:31(+2:03)
11.Bill & Cathi     03:57(+6:29)

ROUTE INFO

You're headed to Yogyakarta
Indonesia!

Fly to Jakarta - Once there
travel by train to the Tugu
Railway Station. Then make your
way to the Bukit Indah Hotel

The clue also says "For the first time in race history, this leg will be a double elimination. The last two teams who check in at the next Pit Stop will be eliminated."

Choice quotes:
 "We're pretty nervous about the double elimination. Not because I think that we will get eliminated, but because it means that there are so many new twists to this game. We can only imagine what's next", Cindy thinks ahead

"A surprise is that two teams will get eliminated at the end of this leg and this is gonna put us in a ", Zac
 "Banana", Laurence finds a banana in his pocket and completely derails Zac's train of thought

"Don't 'dude' me, dude", Andy and Tommy discusses what to call each other
 "Do you think that someone went home last night, or no?", Sandy (i.e. teams are not told about any eliminations/non-eliminations)
 "Awww, I'm gonna cry", Jennifer is happy to see Bill & Cathi at the airport
 "Mom and Pa made it", Andy is also happy (as are a lot of others)
 "We can definitely come in front before them", Jenna is also happy to see them

Teams must first fly to Jakarta in Indonesia. Once they have landed they will take an overnight train to Yogyakarta. All teams make the same flight, probably China Airlines CL761 TPE-CGK 8:58-13:21

In Jakarta they all make their way to the Gambir railway station where they all get tickets for the same train to Yogyakarta. At the train station we get to see a big fight between Justin & Jennifer.

Choice quotes:
 "Justin and I fought a lot when we were kids, I mean like a lot. I mean there were fist fights", Jennifer has a long history of arguing with Justin

When teams arrive they make their way to the Bukit Indah Hotel (17km ~0:30) and grab a room key. They are then divided into two groups which get to start about 20 minutes apart the next morning. None of this is shown in the episode. Instead the shown narrative jumps directly to the teams in their taxis on their way to the Goa Jomblang cave (32km ~0:49).

Teams arrive at the Goa Jomblang cave in the following order:
   1. Bill & Cathi
   2. Ernie & Cindy
   3. Liz & Marie
   4. Amani & Marcus
   5. Jeremy & Sandy
   6. Andy & Tommy
   7. Justin & Jennifer
   8. Ethan & Jenna
   9. Kaylani & Lisa   
  10. Laurence & Zac
  11. Ron & Bill

ROAD BLOCK

Who's ready to Spelunk?
In this road block contestants must descend 160ft into the cave. They must then search for a Javanese mask and dagger, both objects are placed on easy to see poles down in the cave. Finally they must climb up a bamboo ladder to get out of the cave. The cave looks really impressive, and there was a monk hitting a big gong near the masks. All this create a magic atmosphere.

This is also where Bill and Cathi encounter their speed bump. They must untangle a a knot of rope. They make quick work of this and by the time they are done only 2 teams have passed them.

Choice quotes:
 "This is Christmas tree lights gone crazy", Bill while untangling the knot
 "This is like the rockiest path I've ever seen", Liz & Marie comment on the bad road leading to the cave
 "These like some Detroit city roads here", Amani also comments on the roads
 "Oh lord, I know how you feel Big Easy", Amani gets out of the rather small Taxi
 "I was really exited to do the Road Block because I love caving and mountain climbing and rappelling", Cindy on why she did this road block as well
 "We are in like a Jurassic park jungle", Cindy finds the place fascinating
 "And I'm still not looking down", Marie is afraid of heights so she refuses to look down while rappelling

Teams complete the roadblock in the following order (* denotes team member performing the road block, and the numbers how many roadblocks each team member have performed):
1(+0)Bill* & Cathi     (1-1)Bill made up the time lost on the speed bump
2(+1)Liz & Marie*      (1-1)
3(-1)Ernie & Cindy*    (0-2)
4(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (1-1)
5(+0)Jeremy* & Sandy   (1-1)
6(+1)Justin* & Jennifer(1-1)
7(-1)Andy & Tommy*     (1-1)
8(+0)Ethan* & Jenna    (2-0)
9(+1)Laurence & Zac*   (0-2)
10(-1)Kaylani* & Lisa   (1-1)
11(+0)Ron & Bill*       (1-1)

Detour: "Shake your money maker or be a ticket taker"

In money maker teams must make their way to a congested intersection and earn tips. Both must dress in traditional clothes, then one team member must play the Gamelan while the other dances for the traffic (while the light is red). They must collect 30000rp to complete the task. The dancing team member is accompanied by an experienced dancer who knows when the light is about to turn green and ushers them off the street. There are at least three different roads available for dancing.

In ticket taker teams must make their way to the Malimalioboro mall and work as motorbike parking attendants. They must park enough motorbikes to earn 15000rp to complete the task.

Both detours requires teams to then travel to an orphanage (Panti Asuhan Putri Aisyiyah) (1.4-2.3km 3-4mins). Here they must donate their detour earnings to receive their next clue. That much is said in the clue teams get when completing the road block.

At the orphanage teams are greeted by a bunch of girls standing behind a table. On the table is a bunch of envelopes where teams put their money. Next to the envelopes is a sign which says:
In addition to all money earned
at the Detours, you MUST give all
the money in your possession to
help the orphans. In exchange,
you will receive a clue to help
you find the next Pit Stop.

The sign is just black text on a while paper in a race-red frame (there is no yellow). It is not hard to see, but easy to overlook.

The detours are placed relatively close to each other in central Yogyakarta, but a fair bit away from the cave (47km 1:15).

Choice quotes:
 "Please can I have some money please, I saw you laughing", Liz entertains the crowds
 "Anybody gonna park there, we got them before Bill & Cathi", Ernie & Cindy placed them selves further up the street
 "Thinking about an orphanage is like really sad because they have no parents. We know how that feels, we just lost our dad", Liz & Marie
 "How do I look hon?", Ethan to Jenna
 "Ridiculous", Her reply is to the point
 "That was fun actually", Andy spreads positive energies after the detour

Teams complete the first part of the detour in the following order:
  1(+2) Ernie & Cindy, ticket taker
  2(-1) Bill & Cathi, ticket taker
  3(-2) Liz & Marie, money maker (Liz danced)
  4(+3) Andy & Tommy, ticket taker
  5(+1) Justin & Jennifer, ticket taker
  ?     Jeremy & Sandy, money maker (Sandy danced)
  ?     Amani & Marcus, money maker (Marcus danced)
  8(+0) Ethan & Jenna, money maker (Jenna danced)
  9(+0) Laurence & Zac, ticket taker
 10(+0) Kaylani & Lisa, money maker (Kaylani danced)
 11(+0) Ron & Bill, money maker (Ron danced)

When leaving the detour Ethan & Jenna forgot their clue so they had to go back to retrieve it. This cost them a minute or two since they quickly realized they had lost it.

Teams visit the orphanage in the following order:
   1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, miss the sign
   2(+0) Bill & Cathi, miss the sign
   3(+0) Liz & Marie, miss the sign
   4(+0) Andy & Tommy, as they are about to leave Andy notices the sign
   5(+0) Justin & Jennifer, miss the sign
   6(+?) Jeremy & Sandy, miss the sign
   7(+?) Amani & Marcus, miss the sign
   8(+1) Laurence & Zac
   9(+1) Kaylani & Lisa
         Ernie & Cindy (again)
         Liz & Marie (again)
  10(-2) Ethan & Jenna, miss the sign
         Jeremy & Sandy (again)
         Bill & Cathi (again)
  11(+0) Ron & Bill, miss the sign

Choice quotes:
 "I'm glad we saved up man, that's more which goes to them", Tommy is happy to give away their money

When handing over their money teams get a small shield bearing a mark. They have to find out that this is the symbol for Kraton Palace, the current residency of the Sultan of Yogyakarta.

The palace is relatively close at 1.3km. This is fortunate because teams make their way back and forth on foot (they don't have any money after having read the sign).

Teams reach Phil in the following order:
   1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, have to go back to the orphanage
   2(+1) Liz & Marie, have to go back to the orphanage
   3(-1) Bill & Cathi, have to go back to the orphanage
   4(+0) Andy & Tommy
   5(+1) Jeremy & Sandy, have to go back to the orphanage
   6(-1) Justin & Jennifer, have to go back to the orphanage
   7(+0) Amani & Marcus, have to go back to the orphanage
   8(+0) Laurence & Zac
   9(+1) Ethan & Jenna, have to go back to the orphanage
  10(-1) Kaylani & Lisa
         Ernie & Cindy (again)
         Liz & Marie (again)
         Jeremy & Sandy (again)
         Bill & Cathi (again)
         Justin & Jennifer (again)
  11(+0) Ron & Bill, have to go back to the orphanage
         Amani & Marcus (again)
         Ethan & Jenna (again)
         Ron & Bill, at 12:35 (again)

Choice quotes:
 "Oh my gosh, are you serious?", Cindy looses it when Phil says they have to go back
 "This is the sprint of our lives", Sandy gets the title
 "Unfortunately you are the 10th team to arrive. And you know that this is a double elimination leg?", Phil toys with Kaylani & Lisa (and they almost start to cry)
 "But because you guys did what you were meant to do, you are now officially team number 3", And then he gives them the good news

As they are running we Cindy use an inhalator for her asthma. Doing that while you are running shows she is really dedicated to the race.

The final check in order becomes (and the position changes since the orphanage):
   1(+3) Andy & Tommy, win a trip to Ireland
   2(+6) Laurence & Zac
   3(+6) Kaylani & Lisa
   4(-3) Ernie & Cindy
   5(-2) Liz & Marie
   6(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
   7(-5) Bill & Cathi
   8(-3) Justin & Jennifer
   9(-2) Amani & Marcus
  10(+0) Ethan & Jenna, are eliminated
  11(+0) Ron & Bill, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "We are having a blast running this race", Andy is having the right attitude
 "Even though we are terribly disappointed it was such a short run, we can't fault ourselves for trying", Ethan's final wisdom

Edit: Marcus did the road block
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:23:27 AM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 3
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 3, "Don't lay down on me now"

I have tried to estimate distances and driving times every now and then. This data, from Google, is an approximation at best and may have no relation to reality.

Teams are released from the pit stop at Kraton palace in Yogyakarta in the following order:
1.Andy & Tommy     07:38
2.Laurence & Zac   07:57(+0:19)
3.Kaylani & Lisa   08:02(+0:24)
4.Ernie & Cindy    08:14(+0:36)
5.Liz & Marie      08:18(+0:40)
6.Jeremy & Sandy   08:21(+0:43)
7.Bill & Cathi     08:22(+0:44)
8.Justin & Jennifer08:31(+0:53)
9.Amani & Marcus   08:32(+0:54)

Route info: "Pick a ride into the Dutch colony era". Teams will join a group of local enthusiasts who reenact the bicycle patrols of the 1940s. They must dress up in uniform and then join their fellow riders, who are clearly in no hurry, and ride to fort Vredeburg (~1km) where they will receive their next clue.

If one can trust the editing this task took around half an hour to complete since Laurence & Zac were done before Justin & Jennifer had started.

Choice quotes:
 "cool pins I like this guy", Andy & Tommy use strict logic when choosing their bicycle commander
 "Surf the bike", Andy & Tommy can't resist to play around on their bikes
 "As a single mom my daughter is my 100% motivation for this race. To show her what the possibilities are in challenging yourself, and I don't want to fail her", Kaylani on why she races
 "All of these people look like they could be our children", Cathi on the other teams
 "Whoops, there goes my pedal", Ernie has a mechanical breakdown
 "Ernie, here comes somebody else. We need to get out of here", Cindy wants to get moving while they fix the bike

In interviews we learn that Cindy is a control freak who has prepared herself and Ernie meticulously for the race during the last 6 months. The only question we are left with is how she will react under pressure and when things are not going well. What we have seen so far looks worrying.

Teams arrive at fort Vredeburg in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy
  2(+0) Laurence & Zac
  3(+0) Kaylani & Lisa
  4(+1) Liz & Marie
  5(+1) Jeremy & Sandy
  6(+1) Bill & Cathi
  7(+1) Justin & Jennifer
  8(-4) Ernie & Cindy
  9(+0) Amani & Marcus

ROUTE INFO

Travel by taxi to
Lesehan Restaurant in
Salakmalang Village.

Note: Salakmalang
Village is located in
Banjarharjo, Kalibawang
- Kulon Progo.

All teams change out of their uniforms and pick up their bags before jumping into taxis. They arrive at the restaurant (25km 0:40) in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy
  2(+0) Laurence & Zac
  3(+4) Justin & Jennifer
  4(+1) Jeremy & Sandy
  5(+3) Ernie & Cindy
  6(+0) Bill & Cathi
  7(-4) Kaylani & Lisa
  8(-4) Liz & Marie, arrive not long after #3
  9(+0) Amani & Marcus, arrive after #4 have left (had taxi issues)

Detour: "Rice field or grass fed"

In rice field teams must deliver two midday meals to the rice field workers. And while the workers eat their lunch the contestants must plant 300 rice seedlings.

In grass fed teams must fill two bags with freshly cut grass. Then pick up two sheep and bring both to a shed. Once there they must collect six buckets of water from a well and pour them into a watering through. Some teams are told to go back and pick up more grass when they arrive at the shed. Also the clue specifically says "As a team you may only use two buckets at a time".

Both options require teams to travel through the rice paddies. We get plenty of shots of contestants loosing their footing on the narrow pathways and falling into the muddy fields.

The sheep are rather small and have a strong will. Some contestants just pick them up and carry them to their destination.

Choice quotes:
 "I can't get him around", Andy has trouble controlling his sheep
 "Read your clue guys", Andy to Laurence & Zac when sees them use more than two buckets
 "Fill it to the brim", Ernie takes no chances when filling the sack with grass
 "This is my first time planting rice. I'll be okay if I never have to plant rice again", Lisa does not like to plant rice
 "Don't lay down on me now", Marcus get the title (said to a struggling sheep)
 "We are tired and disgusting", Amani after having planted rice
 "Most importantly I'm tired right now, but I know one thing we will not do. Not gonna quit", Marcus & Amani may be tired and last, buy they will not give up

Teams complete the detour in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy, grass (had to go back for more grass)
  2(+0) Laurence & Zac, grass (used more than 2 buckets)
  3(+5) Liz & Marie, rice
  4(+3) Kaylani & Lisa, rice
  5(-1) Jeremy & Sandy, grass
  6(-1) Ernie & Cindy, grass
  7(-4) Justin & Jennifer, grass
  8(-2) Bill & Cathi, grass
  9(+0) Amani & Marcus, started grass but switched to rice when they had to little grass

ROUTE INFO

Make your way to
Borobudur and search
for your next clue at the
top of the temple.

Teams must now travel by taxi to Borodudur temple (15km 0:24) and climb the stairs to the top where they will receive their next clue. Teams may not run inside the temple area. When they arrive at the temple most team tells their taxis to wait.

Jeremy & Sandy feel unlucky when their taxi breaks down. Fortunately for them this happens 1 km from the temple so they run the rest of the way. And they don't know it yet, but this will actually be a lucky break for them.

Choice quotes:
 "Oh snap, look at that thing. That's what I'm talking about. That's why you do the Amazing Race, for stuff like this", Andy is impressed by the magnificent temple
 "My goodness, look at that", (in unison) Liz & Marie are also impressed by the temple
 "We decided to let the taxi go because he was sooo bad", Amani (and she will be glad they did this)

As Amani & Marcus are about the enter the temple area they meet Andy & Tommy who are leaving. Tommy tells them the answer to the road block. Amani repeats the numbers and had gestures to make sure she got them correctly.

Very out of breath teams reach the top of the rather tall temple in the following order:
  1(+1) Laurence & Zac
  2(-1) Andy & Tommy, seconds after #1
  3(+1) Kaylani & Lisa
  4(-1) Liz & Marie
  5(+3) Bill & Cathi
  6(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  7(+0) Justin & Jennifer
  8(-3) Jeremy & Sandy
  9(+0) Amani & Marcus

Road block: "Who is prepared to follow the path to Buddha?" In this road block contestants must walk clockwise around the third level and count the number of Buddha statues. There are four different had positions on the statues and teams must keep track of how many there are of each position (17, 17,17 and 18). Plus they will have to demonstrate the hand positions when giving their answers. All this is expressed rather cryptically in the clue so teams have great difficulties with this task.

Laurence and Tommy work together and after one failed attempt they figure out what they have to do and solve it.

Amani & Marcus got the answers from Andy & Tommy. But by the time they reached the top Andy was so tired she couldn't think straight. Therefore Marcus did the road block, but he had not paid attention when Andy demonstrated the answer. At the end he worked with Lisa to figure out the correct answer.

Liz, Ernie, Justin and Jeremy eventually work together to solve the task. Once they figure out what they have to do they take one hand position each and start counting.

Choice quotes:
 "Take your time daddy, you got it", Zac encourages Laurence
 "Take your time? What are you guys doing?", Andy stands next to him and wonders if they know they are in a race
 "I wasn't sure exactly what Buddhas to count, if the carvings counted or it was just the statues", Ernie is confused
 "200? 201? 202? 203?", Lisa makes wild guesses (and is way off)
 "I was just carrying backpacks and running", Marcus on why he did not listen when Andy gave the answer
 "I should have been paying more attention, because it seem like it would've been paying off right now", Marcus berates himself

1(+0)Laurence* & Zac   (1-2)
2(+0)Andy & Tommy*     (1-2)Immediately after #1
3(+2)Bill* & Cathi     (2-1)
4(+3)Justin* & Jennifer(2-1)
5(+1)Ernie* & Cindy    (1-2)
6(-2)Liz & Marie*      (1-2)
7(+1)Jeremy* & Sandy   (2-1)
8(-5)Kaylani & Lisa*   (1-2)
9(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (2-1)

Route info: "Make your way to the next Pit Stop". Teams must now search the grounds of the temple for the pit stop. Actually it is pretty easy since the Pit Stop is visible from the temple. The only problem for most of the teams is that they must first walk back (~600m) to the car park, pay their cab and then walk back (~600m) again.

Choice quotes:
 "We have the choice to choose who we want in and not, you know?", Andy explains why he gave the answer to Amani & Marcus

Teams reach Phil in the following order:
  1(+0) Laurence & Zac, incur a 15 minute penalty since they used too many buckets at the detour
  2(+0) Andy & Tommy, are checked in as #1 and win a trip to Dubai
        Laurence & Zac are still #2 when their penalty expires
  3(+4) Jeremy & Sandy, had to taxi to pay for
  4(+0) Justin & Jennifer
  5(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  6(+3) Amani & Marcus, had already paid their taxi
  7(-4) Bill & Cathi
  8(-2) Liz & Marie
  9(-1) Kaylani & Lisa, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "Laurence helped me on that road block so they should have this", Andy thinks Laurence & Zac should have the prize
 "That doesn't mean you can't gift it to them", Phil suggests that they can give the prize away
 "Then we gotta face our wives", Tommy has a very good point
 "Talk to us if you need some snowboard gear or something, we owe you", Tommy to Laurence & Zac

"We though we were last", Liz & Marie are very surprised to be #8

"You're allowed to cry, it is okay", Phil to Kaylani & Lisa
 "I feel like I failed her", Kaylani, who is a single mother to a 4 year old girl, breaks down
 "She's not gonna think that you failed her, she's gonna be proud of you that you went out and you gave this a good shot. You guys never gave up", Phil consoles
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by maf »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 3 is on page 1
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
Another fabulous job!! LOVE these!! :tu
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 4
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 4, "This is Gonna Be a Fine Mess"

The last Pit Stop was at the Borodudur temple outside Yogjakarta, Indonesia. Teams probably slept at the Sheraton Mustika hotel. At least this is where they are released the following morning:
1.Andy & Tommy     08:17
2.Laurence & Zac   08:28(+0:11)
3.Jeremy & Sandy   09:40(+1:23)
4.Justin & Jennifer09:41(+1:24)
5.Ernie & Cindy    09:42(+1:25)
6.Amani & Marcus   09:46(+1:29)
7.Bill & Cathi     09:56(+1:39)
8.Liz & Marie      10:05(+1:48)

Route info: "Fly to Phuket, Thailand". Once they land teams must make their way to Nonthasak Marine (40km 0:55) where their next clue awaits at the tip of a long floating pier.

Andy & Tommy and Laurence & Zac jump onto the first Garuda flight to Jakarta and hope to arrange a flight to Phuket from there. Once in Jakarta they find that the direct flight is full so they have to fly over Bangkok and arrive in Phuket at 19:40. This means that their flights were:
 GA205 JOG-CKG 09:40-10:45
 GA868 CKG-BKK 12:50-16:15
 TG221 BKK-HKT 18:19-19:45 (landed 5 minutes late)

The other teams buy tickets all the way to Phuket from Yogyakarta on Air Asia via Jakarta and arrive at 18:50 via:
 QZ7341 JOG-CKG 12:45-13:45
 QZ7744 CKG-HKT 16:00-18:50

Choice quotes:
 "We just want a clean legit first place", Tommy thinks they owed the last leg victory to Laurence & Zac
 "If we make a mistake, make sure we are with another team", Laurence sees the advantage of having another team nearby
 "I think what the race has done for our relationship is kind of bring out a couple of things that we still need to work on", Jeremy
 "Marie and I are pretty excited because we were just in Phuket, Thailand", said while we are shown a picture of Cindy talking
 "We have four kids. And one of the things I feel like I can teach our kids on the race is perseverence.", Marcus
 "Liz and I have all these Indonesian money, we didn't exchange it for Thai money. With luck and prayer we will be okay", Liz & Marie do not have any local money
 "Man, you are super", Cathi successfully encourages their taxi driver
 "Yes, I know", the girl at the taxi stand at Phuket airport recognizes the location Laurence wants to go to (and thus they find out that they have lost their lead)
 "Are we really the first people here? That's hard to believe", Sandy is surprised they are first at the marina
 "Thai people are the nicest people in the world. He just drove Marie and I for nothing", Liz & Marie managed to get a free taxi ride

After the flight there is the usual taxi race to the marina where we find an hours of operations. It opens again at 08.00 the next morning. This allows everybody to catch up.

The next morning at 08.00 the rope is lowered and teams rush out to get the clue. The floating pier is very wobbly and hard to run at. It is also not all that wide so passing is not too simple. The pier is almost 200m long and teams have to run out to the end where the clues are strapped to a barrel and back before opening their clues.

Teams open their clues in the following order:
  1. Andy & Tommy, have gained a significant lead
  2. Amani & Marcus
  3. Justin & Jennifer
  4. Jeremy & Sandy
  5. Ernie & Cindy
  6. Laurence & Zac
  7. Liz & Marie
  8. Bill & Cathi

Detour: 'Coral Reconstruction' or
'Beach Preparation'

Coral Reconstruction: Help restore
the tsunami-damaged reefs off of
Khai Nai island by building a coral
reef nursery and installing it
underwater.

Beach Preparation: Search through
hundreds of chairs and umbrellas to
find the ones that match the symbol
below. Then, use those chairs and
umbrellas to set up a section of Khai
Nai beach to the exacting standards
of the Beach Club.

In Coral Reconstructions teams must first assemble the nursery from PVC pipes. They must then load this and a tray of live corals onto a kayak before paddling out to a buoy and sink their nursery to the bottom before finally placing the live coral into the nursery. This task is quite difficult. The nursery is flimsy and falls apart if not handled carefully. And there is fairly a strong wind and current at the buoys.

In beach preparation teams must collect 20 chairs and 10 umbrellas, marked with a team specific symbol, from a storage shed. The hard part of this task is to find and extract the chairs and umbrellas from the shed, and then to get the umbrellas to now fall down in the fairly strong breeze.

Both detour options are located on the tiny island of Khai Nai (13km 0:13).

Choice quotes:
 "We are the king of the world", Jennifer and Justin have a Titanic moment on their speedboat
 "It was a rough night sleeping on the beach", Sandy is glad to be going again
 "This is our detour. We were ocean lifeguards for two summers", Liz & Marie feels confident
 "I must be talking to myself", Jennifer has trouble communicating with her brother
 "This is so freaking fun", Andy & Tommy have no problems with the detour
 "I can't even unfold the damn chair", Marie is frustrated
 "It was pretty rocky, I was just taking gulps of water. I did not feel safe", Sandy had troubles in the water
 "Our stand came apart and I had a hard time swimming. So it was just a disaster for us", Marcus also had a rough day at sea
 "This is gonna be a fine mess", Bill gets the title while searching for their chairs in the storage shed
 "No, the rungs do not matter", Sandy thinks she knows what the judge will accept (she is wrong)
 "See if you can get a shell or something to help you dig", Cathy gives a tip to Liz & Marie
 "Come one, we have been out here for like 3 hours", Marie snaps at Liz

1(+0) Andy & Tommy, coral
  2(+1) Justin & Jennifer, coral
  3(+2) Ernie & Cindy, beach
  4(-2) Laurence & Zac, beach
  5(-3) Amani & Marcus, started coral switched to beach
  6(-2) Jeremy & Sandy, started coral switched to beach
  7(+1) Bill & Cathi, started coral switched to beach
  8(-1) Liz & Marie, beach

The next clue is a compass and a medallion with a silhouette cut out in the middle and the text "Head north for approximately 13 minutes" around the rim. The silhouette is actually of a pair of distinct rocks sticking straight out of the water north of their current location (13km 0:13). This place is known as soap island (Koh Sup).

The clues are hanging on a washing line over the water at Koh Sup. Teams
reach them in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy
  2(+0) Justin & Jennifer
  3(+1) Laurence & Zac
  4(+1) Amani & Marcus
  5(+1) Jeremy & Sandy
  6(-3) Ernie & Cindy, had trouble reading the compass
  7(+0) Bill & Cathi
  8(+0) Liz & Marie

Choice quotes:
 "We were a little bit off north", Ernie when they have trouble locating the island

Road block: "Who wants to be the king of the hill?". In this road block contestants must climb up a rock wall at Koh Yad Noi (26km 0:26) until they can grab their next clue which is placed in a birds nest a bit up the wall. At least two teams can climb at the same time. The pictures of the rock wall look impressive, but it turns out that none of the racers have any problems with this task so it was probably easier than it looked.

Choice quotes:
 "Look at him go. He's like a little monkey", Tommy looks on as Andy climbs
 "Good job Jennifer", Despite often arguing, here Justin encourages his sister as she climbs
 "I don't really like heights. I get vertigo every now and then, and that's on flat ground", Laurence is glad Zac is doing this one
 "I have never done this before", Amani have not climbed rocks before
 "We practiced rock climbing before we got here, so I know he's got it", Ernie & Cindy are well prepared
 "I like the view I have", Cathi likes to see Bill climbing

1(+0)Andy* & Tommy     (2-2)Left before team #2 arrived
2(+0)Justin & Jennifer*(2-2)Left before team #3 arrived
3(+0)Laurence & Zac*   (1-3)Left at 10:55, before team #4 arrived
4(+0)Amani* & Marcus   (2-2)
5(+0)Jeremy* & Sandy   (3-1)
6(+0)Ernie* & Cindy    (2-2)Left before team #7 arrived
7(+0)Bill* & Cathi     (3-1)Left before team #8 arrived
8(+0)Liz & Marie*      (1-3)

Route info: "Drive to the next pit stop". Teams must now use a provided map to make their way to Koh Panyi (21km 0:21). The pit stop is located on a floating soccer field at the edge of this floating village.

Choice quotes:
 "We have done enough of this to know how to plot a runline", Laurence thinks they should be able to navigate to the pit stop
 "Either the map is off or the compass is off", Laurence have faith in their abilities
 "I think that's another boat going over there. Let's follow them", Laurence and Zac solve their navigational problem
 "What a bunch of useless sailors we are", Laurence is ashamed that they could not find their way
 "We are assuming we are going to get eliminated today", Marie knows they are last
 "Look at the scenery. People dream of seeing stuff like this", Liz & Marie enjoy the surroundings while traveling to the pit stop

For most teams the navigational challenge is easily solved by showing the map to the boat driver and ask him to drive to the marked spot. The harder challenge seems to be to get to the soccer field from the main dock. There are signs, but those are easy to miss. But all the teams finally find the pit stop in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy, win $5000 each
  2(+0) Justin & Jennifer
  3(+2) Jeremy & Sandy
  4(-1) Laurence & Zac, not long after #3
  5(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  6(-2) Amani & Marcus, not longer after #5
  7(+0) Bill & Cathi
  8(+0) Liz & Marie, are saved by a non-elimination

Choice quotes:
 "The wives are comin' on the trips with us', Andy know how to spend the money they won
 "I like the beard dude', Andy compliments the greeter on his beard
 "Oh yeah, this is incredible", Liz & Marie are asked by Phil if they like this place

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 5
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 5, I feel like I'm in the circus
Film date: 27-28/6-2011

The last Pit Stop was at Koh Panyi, a floating village outside Phuket. Phil says this is where teams are released, but it rather looks like teams are released on the docks where boats to Koh Panyi leave. Teams are released in the following order;
1.Andy & Tommy     10:07
2.Justin & Jennifer11:01(+0:54)
3.Jeremy & Sandy   11:44(+1:37)
4.Laurence & Zac   11:45(+1:38)
5.Ernie & Cindy    11:52(+1:45)
6.Amani & Marcus   11:53(+1:46)
7.Bill & Cathi     12:22(+2:15)
8.Liz & Marie      13:35(+3:28)

Teams receive $186 for this leg of the race.

Route info: "Travel by local transportation up the Koh Lang trek". Teams must now travel by Songthaew to Anda Adventures in the Ton Pariwat Wildlife Conservation Area (28km 0:41) where they will switch to a local transport, an elephant, and then ride it up the river to their next clue.

Liz & Marie find their speed bump at the start of the elephant trek. They will have to clean up after and then wash an elephant. This task suits them very well since they love elephants. And while they are washing their elephant Bill & Cathi emerge from the Jungle.

Choice quotes:
 "Faith in god definitely is very important to me", Andy
 "I guess I'm driving", Tommy gets to drive the elephant
 "If we win the Amazing Race I'm buying an elephant.They can do some serious four-wheeling", Andy is impressed with the elephants
 "I feel like I'm in the circus", Jennifer gets the title (on an elephant)
 "We are up on an elephant. It's a little scary for me, and all this rocking up and down these hills is making me a little nervous", Marcus is uncomfortable on top of the elephant
 "Ahh, excited!", Liz & Marie see the elephants
 "I'm actually really happy to do this because I love elephants so much", Marie, while shoveling elephant dung
 "This is like the best day of my life, no kidding", Marie is really really happy

At the end of the elephant trek teams find their next clue in a bucket. Teams reach this in the following order:
 1(+0) Andy & Tommy
 2(+0) Justin & Jennifer
 3(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
 4(+0) Laurence & Zac
 5(+1) Amani & Marcus
 6(-1) Ernie & Cindy
 7(+0) Bill & Cathi
 8(+0) Liz & Marie

ROAD BLOCK

Who wants to hear some
Water Music?

Contestants must follow the sound of a flute to a nearby pool. Then they must enter the pool and search it for their next clue. The next clue turns out to be a ceramic Koi-fish wrapped in cloth lying on the bottom (the pool is a little more than 1m deep). Teams have to break the fish to get the clue hidden within. None of the teams have any problems with this.

As usual Andy & Tommy play rock, paper scissors about who should do the task.

1(+0)Andy* & Tommy     (3-2)
2(+0)Justin* & Jennifer(3-2)
3(+1)Laurence* & Zac   (2-3)
4(-1)Jeremy & Sandy*   (3-2)
5(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (2-3)
6(+0)Ernie & Cindy*    (2-3)
7(+0)Bill & Cathi*     (3-2)
8(+0)Liz & Marie*      (1-4)

Route info: "Disassemble a spirit house". Teams must now travel back by elephant and then by Songthaew to a local shop (probably in Song Phraek which is nearby), disassemble a spirit house. They must then deliver all the pieces to Wat Chanathikaram (10km 0:17) where they will get their next clue from a leather bag.

All in all it takes about 1.5h for teams to ride the elephants out and back again (and do the water task in between).

Teams arrive and disassemble their spirit houses in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy, each memorize one side of the layout
  2(+0) Justin & Jennifer, took a photo of the setup with the drivers phone
  3(+0) Laurence & Zac, did not make any notes
  4(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, made notes
  5(+1) Ernie & Cindy, did not make any notes
  6(-1) Amani & Marcus, made notes
  7(+0) Bill & Cathi, made notes
  8(+0) Liz & Marie, made notes

Choice quotes:
 "Justin does the driver have a camera phone?", Jennifer has a very good idea
 "We should take notes", Zac tries to think ahead
 "No, no, no", but Laurence is not interested
 "You don't have to remember it", Ernie to Cindy

Teams then travel to Wat Chanathikaram and here they find their next clue:

ROAD BLOCK:

Surprise! If you did the
Water Music Roadblock,
your partner MUST do
this one.

In this second road block contestants must reassemble their spirit house exactly as they found it. This is not all that easy since the display includes a number of figurines, candles and other small decorative objects, all of which have to placed exactly right.

Choice quotes:
 "Alright, we got Tommy doing the road block. Poor guy, he kind of got the hard part", Andy
 "We know the one true god and it's pretty straightforward when you read the bible", Andy does not feel anything special in the Buddhist temple
 "While it may not be the same religion as mine, it still warrants the same amount of respect", Jennifer
 "I need to go back and make notes dad", Zac realizes he will not solve this by guessing
 "This is something that I'd have been able to knock out pretty well, I think", Laurence thinks he could have done it easily
 "I'm glad I took notes", Amani finds that the note taking is paying off
 "I don't remember what this should look like at all", Ernie pays for his earlier haste
 "We should have written it down", Cindy blames their team
 "I think I've got it. But if I don't get it, I think Cindy is gonna kill me", Ernie after having looked at the example again

1(+0)Andy & Tommy*     (3-3)Went back to look again, but still manage to complete before the next team shows up
2(+0)Justin & Jennifer*(3-3)
3(+1)Jeremy* & Sandy   (4-2)
4(-1)Laurence & Zac*   (2-4)Had to go back and look again
5(+1)Amani* & Marcus   (3-3)
6(-1)Ernie* & Cindy    (3-3)Had to go back and look again
7(+0)Bill* & Cathi     (4-2)
8(+0)Liz* & Marie      (2-4)

Route info: "Travel by bus to Bangkok". When they arrive they have to make their way to the Bangkok Noi Canal where they must feed the fish to receive their next clue. Teams are give a small bundle of fish-food together with their clue.

Teams first travel by Songthaew to the Phuket bus terminal (97km 1:49), where they all get a shock when they find out how much they owe their driver. Most teams pay around $150, which does not leave them with much cash. They then learn that the bus ride will take around 13 hours.

Laurence & Zac are the only team on their bus, they see three other teams on another bus though. They then realize that their bus is a first class bus, and the race rules say they may not fly in first class. So they panic and leave the bus a couple of miles from the bus terminal. They then walk back to the terminal and take another bus. They arrive back at the bust terminal just as the 17:30 buses pulls out.

Ernie almost pulls a Colin and tries to pay less than the driver wants. The police is mentioned in the ensuing discussion, but in the end they cough up the cash he demands.

Liz & Marie have the most problems since their driver wants $190, which is more than they have. They buy their bus tickets and then give him all they have left. While they are arguing with him their bus leaves and they are devastated. But once the driver accepts the money they have he softens up and drives them to the bus, which is waiting for them outside the town.

Choice quotes:
 "We're screwed now", Laurence & Zac after having exited the first class bus
 "It was not our finest hour. That behavior is not acceptable in our life", afterwards Cindy feels ashamed for how they treated the driver
 "They look busted", Cindy see Laurence & Zac arrive at the bus terminal (after walking back)
 "So that's really really nice of him", Marie about their driver who is driving them to their bus

Teams eventually board the following buses:

Bus #1, leaves 16:30 with arrival at 06:00
  Andy & Tommy, buy their tickets at 16:03
  Justin & Jennifer
  Jeremy & Sandy, buy their tickets at 16:14

Bus #2, First class bus at 16:30
  Laurence & Zac

Bus #3, leaves at 17:30
  Amani & Marcus
  Bill & Cathi

Bus #4, First class bus at 17:30
  Ernie & Cindy

Bus #5, leaves at 20:00
  Laurence & Zac

Bus #6, leaves at 20:15 (but was delayed since it waited for Liz & Marie)
  Liz & Marie

The buses make different numbers of stops so they arrive in the following order:
Bus #4,
  1(+5) Ernie & Cindy

Bus #1
  2(-1) Andy & Tommy
  3(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  4(-2) Justin & Jennifer

Bus #3
  5(+0) Amani & Marcus
  6(+1) Bill & Cathi

Bus #5
  7(-3) Laurence & Zac

Bus #6
  8(+0) Liz & Marie

Now teams travel by taxi to the Bangkok Noi canal (10km 0:18). That is all teams but Liz & Marie. The twins have no money so they have no choice but to walk. They are told that the canal is 3 blocks away. After a short while they are told that it may take 5 hours to walk. But they keep walking, the area is poor and they do not feel it is right to beg. But after having walked for four hours they start asking taxi drivers for a free ride, and amazingly they find one who is willing to drive them there for free.

Choice quotes:
 "It was like a hopeless cause, but I would've felt really guilty and really bad asking people for money", Marie
 "Never underestimate the generosity of people", Liz

The other teams travel by taxi, but it is rush hour and traffic is bad. Some taxi drivers apparently know better routes than other because some teams get a much quicker trip than others.

Choice quotes:
 "We don't know how many teams are in front of us or how many teams are behind us", Marcus, like most others, have no idea where in the pack they are
 "We have gone one straight block in 20 minutes", Sandy is frustrated by the slow progress (there is some traffic)
 "Our cab driver took a little shortcut", Marcus knows they had a quick ride

Teams eventually reach the canal and feed the fish in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+4) Bill & Cathi, seconds before #3
  3(+2) Amani & Marcus
  4(-2) Andy & Tommy, a few seconds before #5
  5(-2) Jeremy & Sandy
  6(-2) Justin & Jennifer
  7(+0) Laurence & Zac
  8(+0) Liz & Marie

ROUTE INFO

Make your way to the
next Pit Stop: M.R.
Kukrit Heritage Home.

Warning!! The last Team
to check-in may be
eliminated.

Teams must now make their way to the pit stop at the M.R. Kukrit heritage home (13km 0:18).

Andy & Tommy are told it is just across the river so they start off on foot. However they do not find the place across the river so they stop by at a local school to ask for directions. A woman takes their clue and goes off to search, but she does not return. It turns out she has gone to teach a class and can't be disturbed. Andy & Tommy get frustrated but eventually manage to get somebody (the headmaster?) to retrieve their clue. They finally jump into a taxi.

Meanwhile Liz & Marie manage to find another taxi driver willing to give them a free ride.

Ernie & Cindy get frustrated when stuck in traffic so they exit their taxi and continue on foot. This probably cost them the first place of this leg.

Jeremy & Sandy also get told to continue on foot. They get lost and are later told that it takes 30 minutes to walk there from where they are. They jump into a taxi again.

Choice quotes:
 "I'd hate to have to run this thing against Bill & Cathi, but we gotta do what we gotta do", Marcus sees a footrace in the near future
 "They may look like Ma and Pa, but they can run", Marcus have respect for Bill & Cathi
 "It's really frustrating sitting in traffic on the way to the pit stop because we don't really know how much of a buffer we have on the other teams", Cindy is frustrated
 "I'm so pissed we got out of that cab", Cindy practices hindsight
 "In a few minutes, I come back. You wait here", The teacher to Andy / Tommy
 "We're wasting time, we know that much", Andy gets impatient waiting for the teacher

When Jeremy & Sandy arrive at the Pit Stop they are pretty certain they are going to be eliminated. Phil toys a bit with them before letting them know they are not last.

Teams eventually reach the pit stop in the following order:
  1(+2) Amani & Marcus, win a trip to Bali
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi, a few seconds after #1
  3(-2) Ernie & Cindy
  4(+2) Justin & Jennifer
  5(-1) Andy & Tommy
  6(+1) Laurence & Zac
  7(-2) Jeremy & Sandy
  8(+0) Liz & Marie, are eliminated (about two hours behind #7)

Choice quotes:
 "With regards to first class travel. That rule only refers to air travel.", Phil clarifies the rules (so Zac & Laurence could have continued on their bus)
 "Jeremy & Sandy, I guess you have a pretty good idea what I'm gonna say", Phil lets them think they will be eliminated
 "I can just eliminate you if you want to", Phil is helpful to Jeremy & Sandy (after having told them they are #7)

Edit to add, we are still unsure exactly which temple they did assemble their spirit houses it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:06:30 AM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 5 is on page 1
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
I'm going on vacation now for a couple of weeks so there will be a delay until I can post the next report.

I will probably not be able to see the race episodes until I get back. I will have to satisfy myself with trying to revisit old race locations. For example, and purely by coincidence, it seems like the last hotel we will be staying at is more or less just across the street from the clue-box which was the downfall of the wonder-twins :)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 6
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 6, We love your country already, It's very spacious
Film date: 2011-06-29 - 2011-06-30

The last Pit Stop was in the garden of the M.R. Kukrit heritage home. This is also where teams are released in the following order:
1.Amani & Marcus   07:22
2.Bill & Cathi     07:23(+0:01)
3.Ernie & Cindy    07:24(+0:02)
4.Justin & Jennifer07:29(+0:07)
5.Andy & Tommy     08:06(+0:44)
6.Laurence & Zac   08:07(+0:45)
7.Jeremy & Sandy   09:22(+2:00)
Teams receive $365 for this leg of the race.

Route info: "Fly to the warm hearth of Africa, Malawi". Teams must now fly to Lilongwe, Malawi. Once they land they must make their way to a specific tobacco warehouse (gate no 7) where they will find their next clue lying in a box.

Choice quotes:
 "Basically made a mistake in every single leg, except for the first one", Cindy explains their placements
 "This guy is crazy, we'll take him", Andy & Tommy find a taxi in Bangkok

Everybody ends up on the same flight:
 TG 409  BKK-SIN 16:23-19:37
 SQ 478  SIN-JNB 02:10-06:49
 SA 170  JNB-LLW 09:59-12:07

In Lilongwe teams exit the airport and enter taxis in the following order:
  1. Jeremy & Sandy
  2. Justin & Jennifer
  3. Ernie & Cindy
  4. Andy & Tommy
  5. Laurence & Zac
  6. Amani & Marcus
  7. Bill & Cathi

Choice quotes:
 "We learned that over 60% of the country's income comes from the sale of tobacco leaves", Ernie & Cindy have been studying
 "I've never been to Africa. There is no snow in Africa", Tommy
 "We love your country already. It's very spacious", Cathi gets the title
 "Good lord, we got traffic", Armani & Marcus are stuck in traffic (as is Bill & Cathi)

Teams reach the clues at the tobacco warehouse (20km 0:20) in the following order:
  1(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  2(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  3(-1) Justin & Jennifer, seconds after #2
  4(+1) Laurence & Zac
  5(-1) Andy & Tommy
  6(+1) Bill & Cathi
  7(-1) Amani & Marcus

ROAD BLOCK

Who's ready to put up
bale?
In this road block contestants must put on a workman's uniform and then use a short-handed dolly to transport 10 bales of tobacco from once place to another. Each bale weighs 200 pounds (~90kg). The task is made harder by the fact that a lot of other workers are running around with bales as well in the narrow aisles. The task is made more fun by all the singing performed by the other workers in the warehouse.

Choice quotes:
 "We are in a madhouse in a warehouse, and there are workers trying to get in our way", Sandy comments on the chaotic situation in the warehouse
 "I've spent a couple of years behind hand trucks. When it's time to cut the hay it is time to cut the hay", Bill has experience
 "That was a killer Zac. That was a young mans deal", Laurence found the road block hard

1(+0)Jeremy* & Sandy   (5-2)
2(+0)Ernie* & Cindy    (4-3)
3(+0)Justin* & Jennifer(4-3)
4(+1)Andy & Tommy*     (3-4)
5(-1)Laurence* & Zac   (3-4)
6(+0)Bill* & Cathi     (5-2)
7(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (3-4)

Route info, "Make your way to Memorial tower and search the area for your next clue". Teams now travel by taxi to the Memorial tower (7km 0:09) where they will find their next clue in a basket. There is no change in team order on the way here.

"Detour: All Sewn Up or Not Grown Up"

In all sewn up teams make their way to White Horse De-Signs tailor shop in old market (8km 0:10). Here they select a customer and a pair of old fashioned foot-driven sewing machines. They must then complete the unfinished seams of his suit jacket and pant legs.

In not grown up teams must travel to Lilongwe LEA school (9km 0:11). Working with scrap materials they must build two traditional children's toy trucks. When the head mistress approves then and the trucks have been test-driven by the children they will get their next clue.

Choice quotes:
 "Sewing machines are difficult. They are notoriously tricky and they get tangled all the time", Justin
 "We are choosing 'Not grown up' cause we ain't quite grown up yet", Tommy
 "I have a six year old son. And going into the school really made me miss him like crazy", Jeremy
 "I don't think this will be difficult at all", Cathi utters some famous last words
 "I wanna go play soccer with those boys", Sandy is not concentrating on the task (but she keeps at it)
 "I'm a nurse practitioner. I sew bodies at work, I do not sew clothing though", Sandy why she prefers to build trucks
 "Cindy, you know, holds the pants normally in our relationship. When she's leading the show it seems like everything is working a little bit more efficiently", Ernie knows who is the boss

1(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, not grown up
  2(+1) Justin & Jennifer, not grown up
  3(+1) Andy & Tommy, not grown up
  4(-2) Ernie & Cindy, all sewn up
  5(+0) Laurence & Zac, not grown up
  6(+0) Bill & Cathi, all sewn up
  7(+0) Amani & Marcus, all sewn up

Choice quotes:
 "You have to enjoy some of this", Sandy to Jeremy on why she couldn't resist a little soccer with the kids
 "I'm enjoying this", Jeremy seems to understand

Route info: Find the R K Furniture shop in Mchesi to receive your next clue. Teams must now make their way to a roadside market (1.4km 0:03) and find a specific furniture shop. Teams reach the shop in the following order:
  1(+1) Justin & Jennifer
  2(-1) Jeremy & Sandy, a few seconds after #1
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy
  4(+1) Laurence & Zac
  5(-1) Ernie & Cindy
  6(+0) Bill & Cathi
  7(+0) Amani & Marcus

Route info: "Take two beds to Phil at the next pit stop". Teams must now transport and carry two hand-crafted beds to Kumbali village (14km 0:22). They must first ask the shop owner to call for a truck. This can then be used to transport the team and the beds to the village. Once there the beds must be carried to Phil. Phil also points out that teams will sleep on these beds the following night.

Teams board trucks in the following order:
  1(+0) Justin & Jennifer
  2(+1) Andy & Tommy, due to some confusion they probably took Jeremy & Sandy's truck
  3(-1) Jeremy & Sandy
  4(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  5(+1) Bill & Cathi
  6(-1) Laurence & Zac
  7(+0) Amani & Marcus

Choice quotes:
 "Can we put two beds in here", Laurence tries to fit the beds into their taxi
 "The beds can not fit", But their driver has a firm grip on reality
 "I've never felt less safe in my life than right now", Cindy clings to the truck
 "Please, don't let us get eliminated", Amani knows they are last
 "Told you", Justin to Jennifer when Phil tells them they will sleep on their beds tonight
 "I assume we have to pay the driver", Bill
 "Only if he asks", but Cathi thinks they may not have to
 "We got passed by old people, and that sucks", Cindy when they get passed by Bill & Cathi
 "I was so hoping though for a day without bruises. I don't think that is gonna happen", Cathi is getting bruises from carrying the bed on her back
 "If they pass me... good for a 62-year-old woman", Sandy about being passed by Cathi

Teams reach Phil and check in in the following order:
        Justin & Jennifer, a few seconds before Andy & Tommy, but they have to go back to pay their driver
  1(+1) Andy & Tommy, win a trip to the British Virgin islands
  2(-1) Justin & Jennifer
        Bill & Cathi, have to go back to pay their driver
  3(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  4(+2) Laurence & Zac
  5(-1) Ernie & Cindy
  6(-1) Bill & Cathi
  7(+0) Amani & Marcus, are saved by a non-elimination

Given the start times from the next episode we can infer some things about the distance the beds were carried. It took about 11 minutes for Justin & Jennifer to run the distance back and forth and it took Amani & Marcus more than 20 minutes to carry the beds.

The end was quite exciting. Amani & Marcus had paid their driver and where carrying their beds as Bill & Cathi rushed back to pay their driver. But the distance was too big so Bill & Cathi could pass them on their way back.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:13:41 AM by maf »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 6 is on page 1
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
Welcome back maf!! Worth the wait as always!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 7
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 7, Move goat
Film date: 1/7-2011

First we get to see the teams settling in with their beds after the pit stop. Teams get huts to sleep in and mattresses are provided as well.

Choice quotes:
 "This one looks like a mansion", Cathi selects a hut
 "Oh my god, we're gonna kill each other", Sandy is not happy with the arrangements
 "Home sweat home", Cindy would probably have liked a shower

The next morning teams are released in the following order:
1.Andy & Tommy     05:28
2.Justin & Jennifer05:39(+0:11)
3.Jeremy & Sandy   05:40(+0:12)
4.Laurence & Zac   05:41(+0:13)
5.Ernie & Cindy    05:44(+0:16)
6.Bill & Cathi     05:47(+0:19)
7.Amani & Marcus   06:07(+0:39)
Teams get a whole dollar for this leg of the race.

Choice quotes:
 "[/i]One dollar? What are we gonna ride, a pachyderm?[/i]", Marcus when he find out how much money they get

Route info: "Travel by bus to the town of Salima". Teams must take a crowded two hour bus-ride to the town of Salima where they will find the next clue outside the bus. The clue also says "Caution, double U-turn ahead".

Andy & Tommy reflect on the fact that three of their four wins have been partly because by the team in front of them have some mistake so Phil always had an "However..." for them.

Teams first travel by taxi to the Lilongwe bus station where they learn that the first bus to Salinas is supposed to leave at 07:00. All teams make it on this bus (but Marcus & Amani cut it close). In the end the bus leaves at 07:21.

In Salima the bus stop in the middle of a market. At least it seems like utter chaos out there. The next clue lies on a plate of vegetables carried on the head by a local woman.

Here Amani & Marcus encounter their speed bump. This is in the form of a local man carrying a pole with the speed bump sign. They are presented with a scrambled 11-pieces slide-puzzle of the Malawi flag and their task is to unscramble it (they have a flag to look at). The task is not made any simpler by the fact that they are surrounded by locals shouting good advice. This takes them a while and according to the editing the first two teams have completed the road block before they solve the puzzle.

Meanwhile the other teams find the woman carrying the clues.

Road block. In this road block contestants must use a local bicycle taxi, know as a Kabasi, to transport a passenger carrying some fishes to one of three different addresses. Once delivered they must return to the starting point and hand over their earnings to receive their next clue. The passenger will not give directions so they must ask other locals for help.

The different end points are:
  Mudzingovangana Mini Shop
  Patsetse Pamlambe
  Mtukula Mwendo

Choice quotes:
 "This is tricky", Amani at the slide puzzle
 "Laurence do you know where you are going", Sandy hopes for some help
 "No I don't. We might be going in totally the wrong direction', but Laurence has none to offer
 "This is nuts, I don't know what these are not doing in school", Cindy is followed by a gang of enthusiastic kids
 "With English being the official language of Malawi, no one seems to speak English or they understand bits and pieces of it", Cindy had trouble communicating
 "Oh shoot, my crank just broke", Andy has a mechanical breakdown (some locals come to the rescue)
 "Laurence and I are working together, but I don't know if we are helping each other much. It's just the blind leading the blind right now", Sandy and Laurence are lost
 "Aw crap, I don't have my clue", Jennifer has made her delivery
 "Hmmm, interesting", Jennifer is stumped (and know it)
 "I'm still waiting for Jennifer. Hoping she is okay", Justin is getting worried

"Sorry about that", Jennifer apologizes to Justin
 "I was worried you were hurt", Justin has his priorities straight

Jennifer made a crucial mistake which cost them a lot of time. She left her clue with Justin. So after she had delivered her passenger she did not know what to do. She hung around waiting for somebody else to show up, but nobody did (Andy had already been there and left). She waited for a long time before she eventually rode back.

1.Ernie & Cindy*    (4-4)
2.Andy* & Tommy     (4-4)
3.Bill & Cathi*     (5-3)
4.Laurence* & Zac   (4-4)
5.Jeremy & Sandy*   (5-3)
6.Amani & Marcus*   (3-5)
7.Justin & Jennifer*(4-4)

DETOUR

Detour: 'Dugout' or
'Lugout'

Dugout: Using a dugout
canoe, complete a "race
course" on Lake Malawi
to receive your next clue.

Lugout: Unload 8
passengers and a
variety of cargo off of a
ferry boat on Lake
Malawi and deliver
everything dry to the
shore to receive your
next clue.

The canoes used in dugout turns out to be very hard to steer.

The cargo they have to unload in lugout include:
 * two boxes of cabbage
 * two bundles of sugarcane
 * two bundles of brooms
 * one chair
 * one fan
 * eight passengers
The boat they are unloading from lies a bit out in the water so they have to wade back and forth. This is heavy work.

The detours are located next to each other just outside Chigumukile village on the shore of lake Malawi. And there is a big party with dancing, music, food and lots of people on the shore so the mood is both chaotic and festive.

Choice quotes:
 "Oh my goodness", Cindy reaches the party
 "Oh my gosh, really", Cindy tries to push one of the, very heavy, canoes into the water
 "Move goat", Marcus gets the title yelling to a got in the middle of the road
 "Having been together almost 50 years, we kind of understand each others modus operandi so we're working great together", Bill
 "We don't argue and we don't blame. And that's how you get it done quickly", Cathi
 "This is how you turn it. You thing in the thing and you turn it like that", Jeremy give crystal clear instructions
 "Walking in the water is no joke", Amani founds the lugout hard
 "It's some hard work here, dawg", Marcus also finds the lugout hard
 "Y'all ain't got no babies on there?", Marcus tries to find some light persons

1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, dugout, used their express pass
  2(+0) Andy & Tommy, dugout
  3(+0) Bill & Cathi, dugout
  4(+0) Laurence & Zac, dugout
  5(+1) Amani & Marcus, lugout
  6(-1) Jeremy & Sandy, dugout
  7(+0) Justin & Jennifer, dugout

Ernie & Cindy decided to use their express pass so they could be sure to reach the U-turn sign first and thus be safe from U-turning.

ROUTE INFO

Find the Jamaica Shop
in Chigumukile village.

Caution: Double U-Turn
Ahead.

The Jamaica shop is located in the village next to the detours. But the racers seem to not know that and they have to ask around. Many of them run back up to the taxis, which are a bit up the hill. They eventually all reach it and the U-turn sign in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Andy & Tommy, as #1 are leaving
  3(+0) Bill & Cathi
  4(+1) Amani & Marcus
  5(-1) Laurence & Zac, U-turns Marcus & Amani
  6(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  7(+0) Justin & Jennifer

As Laurence & Zac reenter the village they meet Amani & Marcus leaving.

Choice quotes:
 "I say we are in good shape 'cause they guys are still on the water", Marcus declines to use the U-turn
 "If they hadn't just come past, they were going the wrong way", Laurence uses some new kind of logic

ROUTE INFO

Make your way on foot to
the next Pit Stop:
Sunbird Livingstonia
Beach.

Warning!! The last
Team to check-in may
be eliminated.

Teams now make their way on foot to the next pit stop. It seems to be quite a distance they must run and we get a very exiting footrace between Ernie & Cindy who are being hunted by Andy & Tommy. The snowboarders eventually overtake Ernie & Cindy just a few meters before the mat. They are all completely exhausted when they reach Phil so it takes a little while before they are all able to stand up on the mat and communicate.

Choice quotes:
 "We can take them", Andy & Tommy think they can catch Ernie & Cindy
 "This gonna hurt, uphill", Andy sees a log uphill run in front of them
 "Every second counts. These guys are right behind us and they're not gonna quit, Ernie
 "Boys, please let us win", Cindy pleads
 "That's so mean", Ernie is not happy
 "I'm sorry guys", The snowboarders apologize
 "Thank you, I like your hair", Tommy greets the greeter (who has very spiked hair)
 "That was really just game on. Still I feel a little bit bad for passing them like that", Tommy
 "We could've been first in three different legs if our decision making was better", Cindy

Teams check in with Phil in the following order:
  1(+1) Andy & Tommy, win $15000
  2(-1) Ernie & Cindy
  3(+0) Bill & Cathi
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Laurence & Zac
  6(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  7(+0) Justin & Jennifer, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "Jennifer did her best and tried really hard and we are a team", Justin does not blame Jennifer
 "Money or not, this has still been an amazing journey", Jennifer
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:10:12 AM by maf »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 7 is on page 1
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
maf,

Please take another look at:
"transport a passenger carrying some fishes to one of three different addresses."
I saw the requirement on camera as separate passengers to two of three different addresses.

Also, the carrying from the ship DETOUR involved only 2 passengers, not 8.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
"transport a passenger carrying some fishes to one of three different addresses."
I saw the requirement on camera as separate passengers to two of three different addresses.

When Phil presents this road block he says "To use a local bicycle taxi, know as a Kabasi, and deliver deliver a passenger carrying fish to one of three specific addresses written on their fish. Once they drop off their customer at the right address they must return to the start and hand over their earnings to the Kabasi dispatcher, who will hand them their next clue."

That is, he only speaks of one passenger. And you only see one passenger per contestant.

Also, the carrying from the ship DETOUR involved only 2 passengers, not 8.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
maf,
I saw Marcus carry only 2 passengers from ship to shore, but I accept your evidence that it really was 8 he was required to carry.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 8, Super Shady
Film date: 2-4/7

The next morning teams are released in the following order:
1.Andy & Tommy     15:12
2.Ernie & Cindy    15:13(+0:01)
3.Bill & Cathi     15:26(+0:14)
4.Amani & Marcus   15:34(+0:22)
5.Laurence & Zac   15:36(+0:24)
6.Jeremy & Sandy   15:42(+0:30)

ROUTE INFO

Fly to Copenhagen, Denmark!

Once there, drive yourselves
to Vor Frelsers Kirke. Climb
the top and look to the...
to find half of your...
The, look around...
other half will...

Route info: Fly to Copenhagen, Denmark. Once they land they must choose a marked car and drive themselves to the bell tower of Vor Frelsers Kirke (7.2km 0:11). Once there they must race for the top and search for their next clue. There will also be another double U-turn on this leg.

The extra information says: "Due to limited availability we have pre-purchased airline tickets to Copenhagen. If you are able to book flights that you find more advantageous, you may do so". The provided tickets have an arrival time at 08:20 on the 4th.

Choice quotes:
 "After five victories, people are not smiling at us as much", Andy
 "Double U-turn again, we are so using it", Cindy

All teams probably first make the same flights to Nairobi where they arrive early the next day (the 3rd).
  KQ732  LLW-LUN 23:55-01:05
  KQ732  LUN-NBO 02:05-05:45

Here Laurence and Zac manage to arrange a flight over London:
  VS672  NBO-LHR 09:42-16:44
  SK1516 LHR-CPH 18:36-21:06

The others all fly to Amsterdam on
  KQ116  NBO-AMS 08:10-15:55

In Amsterdam everybody but Marcus & Armani scramble to find better flights. In the end they end up on different flights.

Andy & Tommy and Jeremy & Sandy fly Cimber Sterling
  QI3534 AMS-CPH 20:45-22:41 (almost 2 hours behind schedule)

Bill & Cathi and Ernie & Cindy fly on Norwegian
  DY3541 AMS-CPH 21:40-23:10

Amani & Marcus wait until the next morning and fly:
  SK550  AMS-CPH 06:55-08:20

Choice quotes:
 "Super shady", Cindy gets the title after Laurence and Zac have been less than forthcoming with their flight details
 "You guys hiding back here?", Sandy to to Andy & Tommy at the gate in Amsterdam
 "I'm pretty confident that everybody's gonna be on the 08:20 flight", Marcus see no need to rush
 "How do you drive a manual?", Tommy find the car
 "You put it in 'R' first. I think 'R' means Really fast", Andy jokes
 "They're already on to the next clue. It feels like death to me", Marcus when he realizes they are the only ones still in Amsterdam

The first teams arrive in the evening on the 3rd, but find the church closed. It will open again in the morning. The next morning the first five teams climb the tower at 07:30. It's a long exhausting climb and there are 400 steps. There are two clues they must find. One is a red and white flag on the railing which says "-Borg Slot" and a banner on a roof nearby which reads "Fredriks". From these they should figure out that their next destination is the Fredriksborg castle.

The task is made harder by the fact that there are two men folding and unfolding the banner on the roof.

Jeremy & Sandy did not see the banner. But they did see the signs pointing to different sights, one of which was "Rosenborg slot". So they assumed that was their target and left.  Once they get there they look around and realize they are in the wrong place so they have to go back to the church and look again. Now they run into Marcus & Amani at the church.

Meanwhile the other teams reach Fredriksborg slot (43km 0:42) and find a maiden in the main courtyard holding a basket of clues. They reach her in the following order:
  1. Laurence & Zac
  2. Ernie & Cindy
  3. Bill & Cathi
  4. Andy & Tommy
  5. Jeremy & Sandy, as Andy & Tommy are leaving
  6. Amani & Marcus, got lost

Choice quotes:
 "Holy cool", Cindy is impressed by the castle
 "That looks pretty impressive", Laurence is a little less expressive

Road block: "Who is ready to take a few steps back in time?". In this road block teams must perform a renaissance dance. They must put on period costume and get make-up and then work with an instructor to learn a complex three-part dance routine. When they have performed satisfactory the countess will give them their next clue.

Choice quotes:
 "This is hilarious", Cindy looks forward to seeing Ernie dance
 "May the force be with you", Laurence wishes Zac good luck
 "They didn't do a half job when they built this place. This is a full job", Laurence is impressed by the ballroom
 "They're teaching Ernie how to dance. This is so cute", Cindy is so excited that she can't stand still
 "This probably would've suited me a little better. Used to be the front man in a rock'n'roll band you know", As usual Laurence thinks he would have done better (and he might be right this time)
 "I had to get shown how to dance by a rude looking man in tights. Not one of my prouder moments", Zac is not entirely comfortable
 "Actually, she was 12 and I was 13, we were in middle school.", Bill to Cindy on how he and Cathi met
 "We just met in a bar", Cindy feels cheap
 "Zac has zero dancing skills", Cindy (is right)
 "You have tried it before?", Andy's dancing coach is impressed with his dancing

1(+1)Ernie* & Cindy    (5-4)
2(+1)Bill & Cathi*     (5-4)
3(+1)Andy* & Tommy     (5-4)
4(-3)Laurence & Zac*   (4-5)
5(+0)Jeremy & Sandy*   (5-4)
6(+0)Amani* & Marcus   (4-5)

Route info: "Drive yourself to Frilandsmuseet". Teams must now head for Frilandsmuseet (31km 0:31) and search for their next clue. The next clue is hidden inside a mail box. But the box has a small race-flag attached so it is relatively easy to find. Teams reach this in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy
  4(+0) Laurence & Zac
  5(+1) Amani & Marcus
  6(-1) Jeremy & Sandy, were navgitaionally challenged

DETOUR

Detour: All Hopped Up or All
Churned Out

All Hopped Up: Participate in
a Danish pastime called the
Kanin Hop. Set up a
steeplechase course. Then
lead a specially trained rabbit
through the course without
knocking over any of the
obstacles.

All Churned Out: Using only
your hands and a butter
churn, work your muscles to
convert cream into six blocks
of butter.

Caution: Double U-Turn
Ahead

Choice quotes:
 "We said no more animals after those sheep", Cindy on why they choose the butter.
 "This is no joke. Some major muscles here", Cindy find churning butter harder than expected
 "You could probably do the rabbit and I couldn't", Cathi doubts her animal handling skills
 "May we have our cute little rabbit", Cathi when she has to do the rabbit anyway
 "Gaining a new appreciation for butter right here", Zac realizes it is hard to make butter
 "I've had a frustrating day and right now you can really help my frustration, okay?", Marcus tries to motivate his rabbit

1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, butter
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi, butter
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi, rabbits
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy, butter
  4(+0) Laurence & Zac, butter
  4(+1) Amani & Marcus, rabbits
  5(-1) Laurence & Zac, rabbits
  6(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, butter

ROUTE INFO

Make your way on foot to
the Karlstrup wind mill on
the grounds of
Frilandsmuseet to find
your next clue.

This is nearby and nobody seems to have any trouble finding it. At the wind mill teams find another double U-turn. They reach it in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, U-turns Bill & Cathi
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi, U-turns Laurence & Zac
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi again after having completed the rabbit
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy
  4(+0) Laurence & Zac
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Laurence & Zac, again after having completed the rabbit
  6(+0) Jeremy & Sandy

Choice quotes:
 "Bill and Cathi, they are right on our tails", Cindy on who she wants to U-turn
 "Sorry guys, we need a win", Cindy on why she U-turned
 "Let's do Laurence & Zac because they are further behind", Cathi at the U-turn sign
 "Bastards", Cathi on Ernie & Cindy
 "Can you believe we weren't U-turned?", Tommy is surprised
 "This is bloody ridiculous", Laurence does not take kindly to being U-turned

ROUTE INFO

Drive yourselves to the
next Pit Stop:
'Havet Ship' at Larsens
Plads in Copenhagen.

Warning!! The last Team
to check-in may be
eliminated.

Teams must now drive to Larsens plads in Copenhagen (16km 0:21) and find the Havet ship, which is the pit stop for this leg of the race.

Choice quotes:
 "I have no idea where we are going right now. I think we might be getting hopelessly lost", Laurence

Teams reach the ship in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, win a trip to Fiji
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy, seconds after #2
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus
  5(+1) Jeremy & Sandy
  6(-1) Laurence & Zac, are eliminated (got lost and stuck in traffic for about 2h)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 9
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 9, Speedo time
Film date: 5-6/7

I have tried to estimate distances and driving times every now and then. This data, from Google, is an approximation at best and may have no relationship to reality.

The last pit stop was at the Havet Ship in Copenhagen. This is where teams are released the next morning.
1.Ernie & Cindy    09:01
2.Bill & Cathi     10:34(+1:33)
3.Andy & Tommy     10:39(+1:38)
4.Amani & Marcus   11:43(+2:42)
5.Jeremy & Sandy   12:08(+3:07)

Choice quotes:
 "We don't like to think about that first leg", Cathi prefers to forget their rock bottom performance in the first leg

Route info: "Drive yourselves to the statue of Hans Christian Andersen". The statue is located next to the city hall (2.5km 0:06). Teams will find their next clue lying by the foot of the statue. They reach it in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, leave before #2 arrive
  2(+0) Bill & Cathi
  3(+0) Andy & Tommy
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, there are still two teams left here when they arrive

ROAD BLOCK

Who's ready to take a
fairytale ride?

In this road block teams must memorize a poem by Hans Christian Andersen. The poem is written on a plaque which the producers have placed by the base of the statue and reads:
  To move to breathe to fly to float
      to gain all while you give
  to roam the roads of lands remote
         to travel is to live
They must then pick up a bike and by using the map imprinted on the covered front wheel and ride to the Theater museum (800m). Once there they must recite the poem in front of a critic. If they perform correctly and with enough dramatic flair they will receive their next clue. Otherwise they must ride back to the statue before they can try again.

The task is not made any simpler by the fact that the statue is a popular tourist destination so sometimes there are loads of other people there obscuring the plaque.

Choice quotes:
 "Me? That makes me nervous", Cindy is very apprehensive
 "Ha ha ha, a tour bus unloaded on her", Ernie can't help laughing when a busload of tourists descend on the statue and interferes with Cindy's memorization
 "It's kind of a cool poem. To travel is to live, and that is so the truth", Cindy
 "He looks so dapper", Cindy on the critic
 "Cathi was an English teacher. She graded kids on this, so I think she'd better do it right", Bill
 "17, 22, I'm trying to confuse you do you don't have to go back and look at it", Marcus tries to confuse Amani so she learns the poem better (and it seems to work)
 "I think I was off the map", Tommy had trouble navigating
 "Shoot, I went the wrong way", Cathi is also not where she needs to be
 "He's like mad", Andy correctly gauges Tommy's state of mind when he comes back to redo the task

1(+0)Ernie & Cindy*    (5-5)
2(+2)Amani* & Marcus   (5-5)
3(-1)Bill & Cathi*     (5-5)Missed a word and have to go back and start over
4(-1)Andy & Tommy*     (5-5)Make a flat performance and have to go back and start over
5(+0)Jeremy & Sandy*   (5-5)Make a flat performance and have to go back and start over

Route info: "Driver yourselves to Legoland". Teams must now drive to Billund and the original Legoland park (which is a very fun place) (263km 2:54). Once there they must find the pirate carousel ride where they'll get their next clue.

Choice quotes:
 "This bridge is no joke", Sandy is impressed by the Great Belt bridge

Teams arrive in Legoland in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Amani & Marcus, around 15:40
  3(+1) Andy & Tommy, as Amani & Marcus are leaving
  4(+1) Jeremy & Sandy, while Andy & Tommy are doing it
  5(-2) Bill & Cathi

Once at the carousel they are given a box of Lego pieces which when assembled shows their next destination. The catch is that they must assemble them while riding the pirate carousel, and they may only work on the puzzle while the ride is in motion.

Some helpful soul have provided motion sickness bags. None of the racers are shown to use them, but some of them come close.

Jeremy & Sandy don't notice that they have dropped a piece and eventually have to get a new puzzle when they can't find the last piece.

Choice quotes:
 "This is what I do not like", Amani does not like twirling rides
 "You told me to hold together, you can't throw up", Amani expects Marcus to be her rock
 "I was a Lego maniac when I was a kid so I was stoked to be there", Andy
 "I need my son for help", Jeremy wants to use a lifeline
 "It was absolute torture for me", Sandy did not enjoy the carousel

Teams complete the puzzle in the same order they arrive.

When completed the puzzle shows a railway station and the text "Hamburg Hbf". When exiting the carousel teams also get an envelope with additional instructions. Teams must now drive themselves to the Hamburg main railway station (286km 3:03) where they will find their next clue.

Choice quotes:
 "Are we driving to Hamburg. What?", Cindy is surprised

Teams arrive in Hamburg in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+1) Andy & Tommy
  3(-1) Amani & Marcus
  4(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi

At the Hamburg train station we find this season's first ordinary clue box. It is kind of a shock to see it after all the baskets and other creative solutions the producers have used so far. In it is:

ROUTE INFO

Ride the rails to
Brussels, Belgium!

Once there, make your
way to the European
Parliament Building and
search the grounds for
your next clue.

Teams will now travel by train via Cologne to Brussels. The next train leaves at 00:30. Which is a bummer for Ernie & Cindy who see their 4 hour lead disappear. But there is even more bad news for them. They drop their ticket from Cologne to Brussels somewhere and they do not have enough money to buy a new one. After agonizing a lot they decide to take their chances on the train. Luckily for them nobody comes around to check the tickets on that train so they have no problems.

Choice quotes:
 "We don't have our tickets from Cologne to Brussels. I don't know if I dropped them. And I'm kind of feeling really sick right now", Cindy
 "I can't really handle this right now", Cindy is about to crack
 "We are pumped because we get to sleep", Jeremy find they have beds on the train
 "Hopefully I can fit", Marcus have misgivings about the train beds
 "We go from having a four hour lead to having no tickets, it's insane", Cindy is feeling down
 "Ernie & Cindy misplaced their tickets. But Ernie seems like he stays pretty calm and lets Cindy do the stress related thing", Tommy on Ernie & Cindy

Outside the Brussels-Midi train station there is a long line of people waiting for taxis. The players eschew this line and run out to the street and catch taxis there instead.

The clue at the parliament (4km 0:09) is in a pannier bag of a yellow bike with a race-flag attached to the saddle. Teams find it in the following order:
  1. Bill & Cathi
  2. Andy & Tommy
  3. Ernie & Cindy
  4. Amani & Marcus
  5. Jeremy & Sandy

In reality this clue was probably a detour. But in the show it is presented as an active route marker where people have to participate in a bodybuilding posedown. Teams must strip down into a provided bathing suit and paint each other with competition oil. Then they work with a professional bodybuilder to learn a set of poses (probably 12 or more). They must then perform these in front of a panel of judges and some audience. They are judged on how well they perform the poses. They must earn a score of 12 or higher to get their next clue.

The bodybuilding takes place in the Concert Noble (1.8km 0:05 (700m walking)). The provided bathing suits are really very small so the producers have to use some creative blurring here and there. We also see that the time is just after 10 in the morning.

Choice quotes:
 "Oh dear", Cathi sees their bodybuilding 'uniforms'
 "Speedo time", One of the snowboarders gets the title
 "What are you wearing?", Cindy to Cathi
 "What you're going to be wearing hon", Cathi responds
 "I was pretty mortified. I'm not sure I have ever worn a bikini that was so small", Cathi
 "This is awful", Cindy is not comfortable
 "Our friendship has hit a whole new level", The snowboarders while they are tanning each other
 "Looking pretty sexy babe", Cindy to Ernie
 "Some of the poses were very difficult with the snowboard injuries I've had", Tommy
 "...think about gettin' on a escalator and knockin' somebody in the head and hurry up and put your arm behind your back like you didn't do it", Amani paints a mental picture of the moves
 "We needed to get a score of 12 between the two of us and most of the notes were in Ernie's details. So frustrating", Cindy on how the judges mostly criticized Ernie
 "It was humbling for sure", Andy realized they sucked at this
 "I haven't been that nervous since I was in the principals office in third grade", Marcus
 "I think we got two standing ovations", Sandy

Teams perform in front of the judge in the following order:
  Ernie & Cindy, earn 9 points
  Andy & Tommy, earn 4 points
  Amani & Marcus, earn 12 points are are team #1
  Andy & Tommy, earn 5 points
  Ernie & Cindy, earn 12 points and are team #2
  Bill & Cathi, get 3 points
  Jeremy & Sandy, earn 13 points and are team #3

Route info: "Make your way to the next pit stop, the gazebo in Park Elisabeth. Hurry!! the last team to check in may be eliminated". Teams travel here by taxi (4.7km 0:07). Unfortunately not many drivers now where the gazebo is so Marcus & Amani stop and have somebody google it for them. Ernie & Cindy just jump into a taxi and ask the driver to drive to Elisabeth park. It turns out that the gazebo is easy to find.

Amani & Marcus's prayers are answered and they have enough of a lead to reach Phil first. They win a well deserved trip to Panama.

Choice quotes:
 "Now, as the first team to arrive you know what that means. You'll be the first team leaving on the next leg of the race. And the next leg of the race starts right now.", Phil

To be continued...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:30:10 AM by maf »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 10
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 10, Release the brake
Film date: 7/7-2011

The last leg ended in a cliffhanger with the teams spread out over the course:
  1. Amani & Marcus, have reached the pit stop and have just learned that there will be no rest period
  2. Ernie & Cindy, on their way to the pit stop
  3. Jeremy & Sandy, have just completed the bodybuilding challenge
  ?. Andy & Tommy, still trying to pass the bodybuilder judges
  ?. Bill & Cathi, still trying to pass the bodybuilder judges

This episode starts with Phil telling Amani & Marcus that the next leg starts right now. He also gives them their next clue:

Route info: "Drive yourselves to the Ford proving grounds in Lommel, Belgium, and search for your next clue."

Choice quotes:
 "I'm impressed", Bodybuilding judge to Bill regarding his shape
 "This has been exceedingly fun", Bill on their way to the pit stop

After that we get to see the other teams complete the bodybuilding challenge and eventually they all reach Phil in the following order:
  1. Amani & Marcus
  2. Ernie & Cindy
  3. Jeremy & Sandy
  4. Andy & Tommy (#4 to complete the bodybuilding challenge with 12 pt)
  5. Bill & Cathi (last to complete the bodybuilding challenge with 12pt)

Choice quotes:
 "...we're going to put a little pedal to the metal as safely and legally as we can", Cathi
 "We are so lost", Marcus is having trouble finding his way

Teams then drive to the proving grounds in Lommel (100km 1:25) where they will find their next clue stacked inside a tire. They arrive here in the following order:
  1(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+1) Jeremy & Sandy, while #1 is doing it
  3(-2) Amani & Marcus, after #2 have left
  4(+0) Andy & Tommy, a minute or so after #3
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi, while #3 and #4 are doing it

ROAD BLOCK

Who wants to play with
the Ponies?

In this road block contestants must drive a Mustang through a series of performance maneuvers. The maneuvers are:
 1. Accelerate to 100mph and then brake and do an avoidance maneuver
 2. Drive a slalom course and stop in a designated box without hitting the inflated simulated car ahead in 16 seconds or less.
 3. Do a victory donut (spin while burning out)

The only tricky challenge is #2. The time is tight and the box they have to stop in is small. There are lots of frustrated players hitting the rubber car.

Choice quotes:
 "I'm not a car guy. I must have done the challenge probably 15 times", Ernie about the slalom
 "Yeah, we get to drive a Mustang or something", Tommy guesses the task when they drive up to the clues
 "I'm feeling very very jealous right now that Tommy gets to drive these Mustangs around the course 'case I have a passion for driving", Andy is jealous
 "Tommy had a really hard time in the poem. Plus like I can do the mind ones better", Andy on why Tommy gets to do this
 "Release the brakes", Marcus' instructor gets the title

Jeremy gained quite a lot of time on Ernie while doing the challenges. But not enough to pass him.

After the roadblock Andy almost started bickering with Tommy due to jealously. But then he got all religious and got over it.

1(+0)Ernie* & Cindy    (6-5)Did slalom in 15.1s
2(+0)Jeremy* & Sandy   (6-5)Did slalom in 13.7s
3(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (5-6)Did slalom in 13.8s
4(+0)Andy & Tommy*     (5-6)Did slalom in 15.2s
5(+0)Bill* & Cathi     (6-5)Did slalom in 15.1s

Choice quotes:
 "It was crazy nuts, I've never felt so scared for my life", Ernie afterwards
 "Wow, I never felt power like that before", Jeremy enjoyed himself
 "From now on, that's how you drive", Marcus gives Amani instructions afterwards

ROUTE INFO

Drive yourselves to the
city of Gent and search
the Hoofdbrug for your
next clue.

In Gent teams park in a designated (i.e. reserved for them) area at the Burgstraat (133km 1:40). The Hoofdbrug is an old bridge (70m from the parking) and the clue is hidden inside a barrel standing on the bridge. It is easy to find the clue once you find the bridge. Teams reach it in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, a few minutes after #1
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus, while #1 & #2 are making waffles
  4(+0) Andy & Tommy, before anybody have left
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi, after the first two teams have left

Detour: Water or Waffle

Water: Make your way to
Langemut and find
Hoefslag straatje. Once
there, build a raft and
use it to retrieve two
pieces of your next clue.

In Water teams must use the provided materials (wood, rope, barrels and tide-downs) to build a raft. They must then paddle a little bit and retrieve two two pieces of the next clue.

In Waffle teams must first assemble a Waffle stand. They must then bake and decorate 18 perfectly formed waffles. The waffles have different decorations and must be placed in the correct order in the display window.

The waffle stands are located right by the canal where the water teams will paddle around.

Choice quotes:
 "We don't do well in water tasks", Cindy on why they did waffles
 "Waffles sounds good", Sandy uses her gut to select detour
 "I'm too short", Cindy while trying to put the roof on the waffle stand
 "I think I should be able to do this quite effectively, but you never really can tell once you get into the booth with Cindy", Ernie

"How did they put that together so fast", Cindy sees that Jeremy & Sandy got their boot assembled quickly
 "I don't know. 'cause they're tall and we're not", Ernie bites back

"I got frustrated because I messed up", Jeremy had a hard time making waffles
 "Where's Laurence when you need him?", Marcus could use a little help building the raft
 "That is farting like a monster. We'll call that Waffle Ernie", Cindy about their waffle (and her partner)
 "The strawberry fell. You think that was it", Cindy find why they were rejected the first time
 "Babe, there is nothing I see that is different", Sandy can't see why they are incorrect
 "This is not good", Jeremy when they get stuck at the detour
 "Oh, these are mixed up", Finally Sandy sees which two waffles they have placed wrong
 "I'm glad to see you finally found it", The judge to Jeremy & Sandy
 "It's our first date. I'm taking her out on the canal", Bill takes his time to joke with a local (while sitting on an unstable raft)

1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, waffles
  2(+2) Andy & Tommy, water
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus, were about to do waffles but immediately switched to water
  4(-2) Jeremy & Sandy, waffles
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi, were about to do waffles but immediately switched to water

Route info: "Drive yourselves to De Muur Van Geraardsbergen". Here (42km 0:46) they will find their next clue lying on top of a pigeon cage.

Choice quotes:
 "Did we just leave those waffles burning in there?", Cindy realize that they never turned their iron off

"Make your way to...how to making my way?", Marcus is lost
 "Well, if you're not making your way here you are making your way home", Amani has words of wisdom

"Ah, we walked right past it", Sandy sees where the clues are when Marcus find them
 "Yeah, ditto", Amani (and Marcus) did the same

"Muur... There is no signage. This is a... lot of fun", Bill sounds like he wanted to say something else

Teams grab clues in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Andy & Tommy
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus
  4(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, a couple of seconds after Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi, when it's already dark

ROUTE INFO

Help the pigeon trainer
release a flock of homing
pigeons. Once all the
pigeons are in the air,
the trainer will hand you
an address. Drive to that
address and you will
meet up with one of the
pigeons you just
released - carrying the
location of the next Pit
Stop!

There seems to be two different addresses given out

Steenweg op Ukkel 75, Beersel
  Ernie & Cindy
  Amani & Marcus

Stoofstraat 52, Beersel
  Andy & Tommy
  Jeremy & Sandy

In interviews we learn that it was too dark for the pigeons when Bill & Cathi arrive sod they were just given the address they should drive to.

Choice quotes:
 "He said it is 30 minutes away. Which is not good because it was only 45 minutes away from the first place that we left 45 minutes ago", Cindy (is lost)
 "Hope we don't come in last. 30 minutes out of the way is kind of a big deal", Cindy frets
 "Hopefully everyone is struggling to find where the pigeon is, because this is ridiculous", Marcus is also lost

"Hi, can you please help us. We're trying get to like a pigeon place", Cindy asks a local
 "It's here", and it turns out they are there

Both addresses are close to each other. Teams drive there (46km 0:40) and arrive in the following order:
  1(+1) Andy & Tommy
  2(+2) Jeremy & Sandy
  3(-2) Ernie & Cindy
  4(-1) Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi

The pigeon has a very small clue envelope attached to it's leg. The trainer holds the pigeon so the players can get the envelope. Inside is a small picture of the Atomium. Most teams do not recognize this and have to ask various locals (the trainer may apparently not help them). Once they realize what and where it is they have to drive there (21km 0:18).

Choice quotes:
 "Oh, we saw that thing. It's in Brussels", Jeremy recognizes the Atomium

"Is this the place?", Marcus wonders if he is in the right place
 "The Atomium thing is right there", Amani points out that the Atomium kind of dominates the area

Teams find the Atomium and Phil in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy, each get a new personalized Mustang
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  3(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus
  5(+0) Bill & Cathi, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "I've gotten over it. You can rub it in all you want", Andy about the road block
 "This is another leg where we were out front and just blew it", Cindy is frustrated
 "I'm not, not at all ashamed of how we done. I think we're both startled of how long we have managed to stay with it", Bill on the way to the pit stop
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:29:11 AM by maf »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 10 is on page 2
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
maf, these Race reports are :colors
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 10 is on page 2
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
And, perhaps more importantly, they are comprehensive and accurate. maf, you are no doubt proud of the record you leave behind.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 11
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 10, We Are Charlie Chaplin
Film date: 8-9/7 2011

At the pit stop teams got the privilege of sleeping inside the Atomium. All but Andy & Tommy who first had to shoot a commercial where they customize the cars they won. The next morning (kind of) they are released in the following order:
1.Andy & Tommy     03:46
2.Jeremy & Sandy   04:20(+0:34)
3.Ernie & Cindy    04:35(+0:49)
4.Amani & Marcus   04:40(+0:54)

At the start teams are give a clue envelope and a big box. Route info: "Using the costumes in the package, dress as two famous comic strip characters". Teams are also given a picture of a comic book character standing in front of a mural. They must find this man at the mural and tell him who they are dressed up as. There are taxis provided which will drive the teams to the downtown area.

We see that reference pictures of the characters they are dressing up as have been provided in the dressing rooms. Teams are also give white pieces of cloth to make bundles in which they can carry their normal clothes. Their backpacks are nowhere to be seen.

Astonishingly none of the teams recognize that the character they are looking for is Tintin, who is a very famous Belgian comic strip. Teams are dressed up as the two detectives Dupont & Dupond from this comic. Tintin will also accept the names Jonson & Johnson and Thomson & Thompson which are used in translated versions of the comic.

Teams have to ask around in downtown Brussels in the wee hours to find out who they are dressed up as.

Choice quotes:
 "Comics were not my specialty", Andy
 "We are Charlie Chaplin", Tommy gets the title

Teams find Tintin in the following order:
  1(+1) Jeremy & Sandy
  2(-1) Ernie & Cindy
        Andy & Tommy, think they are Charlie Chaplin
  3(+1) Amani & Marcus
  4(-3) Andy & Tommy

Route info: "Fly to Panama city, Panama". Teams must travel by train to Amsterdam and from there fly to Panama City. Once they arrive they must travel by taxi to Puerto El Corotu and from there by boat up the Chagres river to the village of Parara Puru.

All teams make the same train from Brussels which left at 08:50. It might be worth noting that none of the teams are carrying their backpacks. All they have to carry is the bundle containing their clothes and their fanny packs.

Everybody travels on the same flight, probably
  KL757 AMS-PTY 14:35-18:04

At the airport teams get into taxis in the following order:
  1. Andy & Tommy
  2. Jeremy & Sandy
  3. Ernie & Cindy
  4. Amani & Marcus

Marcus got some rocks from a "dude in the hall". They are magical rocks which he meant to give to Andy & Tommy, for bad luck. But he forgot to give them to them. SO instead he trows them out the window.

It gets pitch black before the taxis arrive in what seems like the middle of nowhere (50km 0:59). But it is the right place and with the help of their flashlights teams find the boats and leave in the following order:
  1(+1) Jeremy & Sandy, just before #2
  2(-1) Andy & Tommy
  3(+1) Amani & Marcus, just before #4
  4(-1) Ernie & Cindy

Choice quotes:
 "Andy & Tommy are right in front of us", Jeremy as their taxi arrive
 "Shocker, they are always in first", Sandy knows how it usually is

The boat ride looks intense. It is pitch black and the boats have no lights and travel fairly fast. But the teams are trusting, the only ones who put on the provided life wests are Amani & Marcus.

Choice quotes:
 "This is awesome, you can't see anything", Jeremy on a small boat going fast in complete darkness
 "We just crashed our boat onto a sand bar so we're stuck", Sandy

When they arrive in the village teams are greeted with music and a sheet of paper with the title "Sign here for a tattoo appointment". Teams sign in and get the following times:
  1(+1) 07:00 Andy & Tommy
  2(-1) 07:20 Jeremy & Sandy
  3(+0) 07:40 Amani & Marcus
  4(+0) 07:40 Ernie & Cindy

Choice quotes:
 "This is what's makes the Amazing Race so special, just moments like this where you come in to like a tribal village and experience a culture that you never gets to experience before", Andy appreciates the situation
 "I don't know, sound like we 'bout to get that crash course in head shrinking", Marcus
 "Don't break", Marcus lies down in his hammock

Teams get to spend the night in hammocks in the village and then next morning at the appointed time they are fetched by some villagers. It turns out that the tattoo is of the non-permanent type and it spells out their next destination: San Fransisco Bay.

Choice quotes:
 "We didn't know if the tattoos were gonna be real or fake", Tommy
 "I don't mind getting some rad tribal art", Andy
 "Our goal today is to beat one team. That's all we have to do", Sandy

After the tattoo teams jump into their boats and travel back to the port where they jump into taxis. They reach the San Fransisco bay towers (42km 0:53) and find their next clue in an old fashioned clue box in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, a minute or so after #1
  3(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  4(-1) Amani & Marcus, a minute or so after #3

ROAD BLOCK

Who wants to walk in
rarified air?

NOTE: Andy, Sandy,
Cindy and Amani MUST
perform the Roadblock

In this road block the team member must walk a 20m long tightrope between the two towers 38 stories up in the air. They must walk to the other tower, pick up their clue and then walk back again. The task is not really all that difficult since the players are anchored to a dolly gliding on a line above and they can use this to keep their balance. But it is high up in the air so it fairly scary. There seems to be room for all players to walk simultaneously, but we never see more than one at a time.

Choice quotes:
 "I'm scared of heights", Sandy
 "Ah, it's mellow", Andy describes the experience
 "Sandy is not looking happy right now", Tommy sees that Sandy does not look forward to this
 "I'm scared of death, but I gotta do it", Sandy
 "Check out the view Sandy", Andy tries to mess with her
 "Holy ball", Cindy is not comfortable with heights either
 "Amani, walk like a duck, it will help", Cindy give free advice to Amani
 "Not looking forward to getting of top of this building. She does pretty well with heights but I don't", Marcus, who is not even doing the tightrope
 "I had envisioned my kids at each end, and that kind of made it easier 'cause I know we are close to seeing them", Amani had a trick

None of the players hesitate or freak out. Some are faster (Andy) than the others but nobody loses any significant amounts of time.

1(+0)Andy* & Tommy     (6-6)Was very fast on the rope
2(+0)Jeremy & Sandy*   (6-6)
3(+0)Ernie & Cindy*    (6-6)
4(+0)Amani* & Marcus   (6-6)

Success in Suez led him
to Panama. His failure
inspired others to
succeed. Find him
beneath a rooster and
you'll find your next clue.

Teams must now figure out that the clue is sending them to a statue of Ferdinand de Lesseps (8km 0:14). Jeremy & Sandy find a local who helps them figure out where they need to go. He tells their driver. Who promptly then discusses with  the drivers of Ernie & Cindy and Marcus & Amani.

At the statue teams find their next clue at a man selling shaved ice. They reach it in the following order:
  1(+0) Andy & Tommy
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  3(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  4(+0) Amani & Marcus

DETOUR

Detour: 'Filet' or 'Sole'

Filet: Supply stalls at El
Mercado de Mariscos with
fresh seafood. Once you
have delivered all of the
seafood from your bins, a
Fishmonger will hand you
your next clue.

Sole: in the Salsipuedes
Market, work together to
make a pair of dancing
... by hand for a waiting
...... Once the shoes

In Filet teams must hand carry various sorts of seafood to waiting stalls. Each stall will only accept a certain amount of each sort and when they are full teams must find another stall. This makes this detour harder the more teams there are doing it. They pick up their fish at King Seafood C12 in the receiving area of the market.

In Sole teams must make a pair of custom fitted leather sandals from scratch. This takes place in at Tacho Cutarras in the Salsipuedes market.

On their way to the market Jeremy & Sandy's taxi stop at a square. None of them know it but this is actually their next destination. Their driver probably saw the cameras and figured this is where they need to go. But they quickly figure out that they are in the wrong place and jump into the taxi again.

All teams meet up at the soles (1km 0:02) detour, even Amani & Marcus who got there by mistake. The latter immediately leave to find the filet option.

At Filet (1.4km 0:03) teams really had to use only their hands to carry the fish. No baskets or anything, so teams got smelly. But since only one team did this they had a fairly easy time since nobody else was competing for the same quotas.

Choice quotes:
 "You ever surf around here?", Tommy ask their sandal customer
 "We're having a really hard time", Sandy realizes that sandal making hard
 "We're gonna smell so fishy", Amani
 "Carrying all this seafood is making me hungry", Amani
 "Okay, we just need to undo it", Cindy realizes they are doing the sandal straps wrong
 "Shoot, Sandy & Jeremy are right behind us", Cindy in the taxi after the detour

1(+0) Andy & Tommy, sole
  2(+2) Amani & Marcus, filet
  3(+0) Ernie & Cindy, sole
  4(-2) Jeremy & Sandy, sole

Route info: "At the Polera dancing in Cathedral square, find the name of your next pit stop. Warning, the last team to check in may be eliminated". Teams must now travel to Cathedral square (500-1000m 0:02) where they will encounter a group of Polera dancers. The name of their next pit stop "Panama Viejo" is written on the dress on one of the dancers, but is is hidden among the pattern. There is also a picture of it on their necklaces (a fairly big piece of metal hanging at waist height).

Choice quotes:
 "Are we taxi or running? Running dude", Tommy and Andy knows that the dancing is close

At this point Andy & Tommy have a fairly big lead. They look at the dancers and all they see is that their medallions say Balboa. They know that Balboa is the name of their money and decide to ask a taxi driver if he knows Balboa. The taxi driver say he knows where it is and agrees to take them. He then proceeds to take them on a tour. First they go to the Miraflores locks (10km 0:15) (known from season 8). But this is not the right place. A man tells there is a statue of Balbos. So they go there (9km 0:11). However that also turns out to be wrong so they decide to go back to the dancers.

Choice quotes:
 "There were medallions all over these girls. And all the medallions said Balboa", Andy
 "It seems like he knows where he's going", Tommy boosts his self confidence in the taxi
 "Yeah. I think we are good dude", Andy does the same
 "We kind of blew that one, we trusted our taxi drive a little bit too much", Tommy after having visited the Miraflores lock
 "And there the Pit Stop isn't", Andy at the statue
 "We missed it, all we can hope is somebody else missed it to", Andy

The other teams are also having a hard time finding the name. They all meet up at the dancers. The first of the trailing teams to leave is Ernie & Cindy who leave for Balboa.

Jeremy is the only one who actually solve this puzzle. He made a sketch of the building he saw on a belt worn by the dancers and shows this to their driver. The driver recognizes this as Panama Viejo, a famous ruin and they are off.

Marcus & Amani are the last one left. They feel the pressure since they know that everybody is on their way to the pit stop. They make a quick decision and jump into a taxi for Balboa.

Choice quotes:
 "We gotta dance or what?", Marcus is stumped
 "Balboa is what I see on all of them, but does that take us anywhere?", Amani is puzzled

"You're sweating like I am", Marcus then proceeds to wipe the sweat of one of the dancers
 "Thank you", The dancer thanks him
 "You are welcome, now tell me where the clue is", Marcus makes a good attempt (but she does not tell him)

"Wow, why are you all keep doing this to me", Marcus is getting frustrated
 'We got to focus, we got to look, I don't care if I'm getting in these women's way", Sandy (and the dancers oblige and stand still while the players examine them)
 "It's all Balboa though", Ernie thinks he got it
 "That STINKS!", Amani lets her frustration show when they are last to leave the dancers

Here all teams are about to burst with anxiety. They know that a spot in the final is on the line but none  of them know if they are headed to the right place.

Just as we wonder when the snowboarders are going to catch up there is an unexpected twist. Jeremy & Sandy's taxi driver calls their drivers of Ernie & Cindy & Marcus & Amani and and tells them where to go.

Choice quotes:
 "They told me to go to Panama Viejo", Taxi driver of Jeremy & Sandy
 "Someone called him and now he know something and we are going somewhere", Cindy is not entirely comfortable
 "We have trusted Juan all day today", Ernie on why they should trust their driver now

"We are completely lost right now, I quite don't know what to do next", Tommy is baffled back at the dancers

Eventually Andy & Tommy notice the writing on the dress on one of the dancers and are off to the pit stop.

The first three teams arrive at the Panama Viejo ruins (10km 0:17) within seconds of each other. But the pitstop is not immediately visible. They have to search a bit for it. They eventually find Phil in the following order:
  1(+3) Jeremy & Sandy, win a trip to the Turks and Caicos islands
  2(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  3(-1) Amani & Marcus, not long after #1
  4(-1) Andy & Tommy, are eliminated

Choice quotes:
 "I wouldn't change anything. We did our best to find the clue and we missed it", Andy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:30:29 PM by maf »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 11 is on page 1
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
maf,

I am not sure you have the relative importance of the teams of Tin-Tin detectives quite right. My memory is that 2 of the 4 teams were Thompson and Tompson, 1 was Dupont and DuPond and 1 was Johnson and Jonson.

Here is what the official Tin-Tin website (associated I guess with a film opening on Dec. 21 about Tin-Tin) says:  "Thomson & Thompson, the world’s clumsiest policemen, after Tintin and Snowy... are the longest-running characters in the series, appearing in 20 of the 24 Tintin books." and
"Despite the fact that they spend most of their time failing to solve crimes, dressing up in hopeless disguises and falling flat on their faces, Thomson and Thompson always end up on Tintin’s side."

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
apskip

maf is absolutely right in his recap. I've read throughout the years almost all of the adventures of TinTin and I can assure you that the original name of the detectives in the French (Belgian) edition is Dupont & Dupont. Those names have been translated in the English editions as either Thompson & Thompson or Johnson & Johnson.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
This was deleted because I inadvertently duplicated it below.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:09:03 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
Kiki:

to be polite, I think not. The website www.tintin.com has been created by Moulinsart and Studios Herge. I obtain the information on Thompson and Tompson from Under www.tintin.com/meet-the-characters/. Please note that neither Johnson and Jonson or Dupont and Dupond are listed at all there, so they could not be very important. Here is the info on Moulinsart:

Moulinsart is the company which has been set up to protect and promote the work of Hergé. The body of art that Hergé created is of such importance and universal significance that it gives the impression of belonging to the public domain. This is not the case: national and international copyright laws govern the rights to Hergé’s work. Moulinsart ensures that the laws relating to Hergé and his work are respected.

In the spirit of promotion, Moulinsart plays a creative and active role in organizing a broad range of events. A prime example of this activity is the organization of a biannual Tintin Festival, which has so far been held in Brussels (2005), Lausanne (2007) and Namur (2009).

Moulinsart is also determined to anchor Hergé’s characters and creations firmly in the twenty-first century through the development of the website www.tintin.com.

Moulinsart takes care to keep international media informed about all aspects of the world of Hergé by providing exclusive information.

These activities are set to increase as we look forward to the upcoming film The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn. The movie, directed by Steven Spielberg and produced by Peter Jackson, is due to premiere in December 2011 (note-website says October but the premiere is now Dec. 21).

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
to be polite, I think not. The website www.tintin.com has been created by Moulinsart and Studios Herge. I obtain the information on Thompson and Tompson from Under www.tintin.com/meet-the-characters/. Please note that neither Johnson and Jonson or Dupont and Dupond are listed at all there, so they could not be very important. Here is the info on Moulinsart:

I beg to differ. I think that site has been set up to promote the film for an American audience, and it would therefore promote the American version. And the release date you saw there could refer to the European release (where it has been running for some time).

I know for a fact that the detectives are called Dupond & Dupont in all the albums here in Sweden (I have read them all). The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_and_Thompson agrees that Dupond & Dupont was the original French names, and even includes a list of what they were called in the different translations.

And as an aside I would like to point out that the Names are spelled Dupond & Dupont, alternatively Jonson & Johnson or Thomson & Thompson. I.e. they do differ slightly. I noticed that they got this detail right when they subtitled the part of the episode where the names were spoken:)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
Actually, it turns out that there is a French version of the website (where Dupont and Dupont are the names), a Dutch version (where it's Jansen and Janssen) and a Japanese version which I can't read. I guess the names of those detectives vary with the country of publication for the TinTin books.

However, my original statement holds- In the American Amazing Race 19 version, the distribution of the detective names was:

Thompson & Tompson - two teams
Dupont and Dupond - one team
Johnson & Jonson - one team   

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
However, my original statement holds- In the American Amazing Race 19 version, the distribution of the detective names was:

I will trust you on this, I did not count which teams used which names. And I think we have reached consensus on the name issue:)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 12
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
Racing report
Amazing Race Season 19, Episode 10, GO out and get it done
Film date: 10/7 2011

This episode starts as last episodes usually do with an expose of the earlier parts of the race. The only difference is that they have a special segment on Andy & Tommy and how they got eliminated.

Teams are release from Panama Viejo, the last pit stop in the following order:
1.Jeremy & Sandy   00:04
2.Ernie & Cindy    00:05(+0:01)
3.Amani & Marcus   00:06(+0:02)

Route info: "Fly to your final destination Atlanta, Georgia". teams must now fly to their final city. Once there they must make their way to Flight Safety International where they will find their next clue.

Production has helpfully provided three taxis waiting by a gas station outside the ruins where teams start. Everybody makes their way directly to the airport.

Choice quotes:
 "This sucks", Sandy is not happy about Atlanta
 "Neither of us have any experience in Atlanta and we know the other teams have, extensive", Jeremy explains why it sucks
 "Oh man, Marcus & Amani are gonna have such an edge", Cindy on the fact that Marcus & Amani live in Atlanta
 "We are going home baby, Yippee", Amani is more stoked about the destination

At the airport everything is closed so teams have to wait until the morning. They all end up on the same flight:
 DL392 PTY-ATL 08:26-13:27

When they exit the airport in Atlanta we see that all the teams have different strategies with their packs. Ernie & Cindy have gotten rid of one of their packs. Jeremy & Sandy have left both their packs while Marcus & Amani both still have their bags. The first teams have probably checked their bags and then just did not collect them in Atlanta.

There are plenty of taxis so teams take care to select a good one. Preferably one with a full tank of gas, GPS and driver with a phone. A problem is that nobody wants to take them since Flight Safety International is very near. But eventually they all find willing drivers and are off.

Choice quotes:
 "Every second in this last leg counts", Cindy is very tense, as is all the others

All teams arrive at an old fashioned clue box in front of Flight Safety International (3km 0:04) in the following order:
  1. Jeremy & Sandy
  2. Amani & Marcus
  3. Ernie & Cindy, no more than 5 minutes after #1

Route info: "Become the pilot and co-pilot in a full flight simulator... land a Jet at Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta international airport"

In this task teams must enter a real flight simulator and successfully land a simulated aircraft from an altitude of 2500ft. A professional flight instructor will guide them through the process. The pilot will handle the rudders while the co-pilot handles the power levels and other controls.

Teams are completely isolated inside the simulators so they have no idea how the other teams are doing. Marcus is having a hard time with this task. And the fact that he is rather large does not make it any easier.

The price for best supporting player goes to Amani who managed to keep her calm and be supportive in site of the numerous failed landings by Marcus.

Choice quotes:
 "This is awesome", Jeremy is excited
 "Now, I've never been in a flight simulator before. I don't like flying", Marcus
 "Holy cow, this is awesome", Cindy is also excited
 "I'm gonna throw up", Sandy fears she will be airsick
 "Flaps 20, gear down", The players also have to practice the lingo
 "What the heck was that", Cindy realizes something is wrong
 "We were so slow we were falling out of the sky", It turns out Cindy did not do her job with the power levels
 "Flaps down, gear 20", Marcus mixes things up a little

Teams complete this task in the following order (the * indicate who was the pilot):
  1(+0) Jeremy* & Sandy, succeeded on their first try
  2(+1) Ernie* & Cindy, made 2 tries and are 15-20 minutes after #1
  3(-1) Amani & Marcus*, after 12 tries

Route info: "Find the former residence known as The Dump". Teams must now figure out that the dump is the former residence of Margaret Mitchell, who wrote "Gone With the Wind".

Jeremy & Sandy ask around and find a guy in a truck who knows where the dump is. He is quite correct, unfortunately it is the wrong dump This is a furniture store which is a bit out of the way (24km 0:22). They go there and spend some time searching before they finally find somebody with a smartphone they can use to search for the real dump (6km 0:10).

Choice quotes:
 "Former residence know as the dump", Jeremy keep repeating the clue while in the furniture store

Meanwhile Cindy is using the drivers phone. they looked up a bunch of useful phone numbers while they were waiting in Panama and now she puts this to good use. They figure out where they need to go and are off.

Choice quotes:
 "To loose it to the boys would be one thing, but to loose it to Sandy & Jeremy or Amani & Marcus would be like loosing it to like my brother or something like that", Ernie can't bear the though on not being first
 "It would be like loosing it to the C students, and we're A+ students", Cindy (who is not entirely serious)

Teams arrive at the correct dump (17km 0:16in the following order:
  1(+1) Ernie & Cindy
  2(-1) Jeremy & Sandy
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus

ROAD BLOCK

Who gives a damn?

The additional info reads:
BLOCK

In the room where
Margaret Mitchell wrote
"Gone With The Wind",
and on the same style
typewriter, completely
type out your next clue.

Contestants must go to the very room where "Gone With the Wind" was written. Here they must use an old typewriter, a Remington 3, to type out their next clue. The text they must copy is written on a piece of paper lying on a table. A twist is that this typewriter lacks a separate key for the number 1. They must figure out that they can use a lowercase L instead.

This task is harder than it looks. They must figure out how to load the paper and then write everything out correctly. There is a sizable stack of papers by each typewriter and the players go through a lot of sheets before they eventually get it.

Ernie resorted to look at the actual typefaces to find the character which looked like a '1', which is quite a good idea.

Choice quotes:
 "*Gong*", A sound effect covers what Ernie and Cindy say when they open the additional information (to be on the safe side they also blur their mouths)
 "You give any support in how to operate this thing?", Ernie hopefully asks the judge (who doesn't even answer)
 "I probably should have done this one", Cindy
 "There is no '1'", Ernie finds the twist
 "This is not a Mac", Sandy is out of her depth
 "This is where we get tricky, huh?", Sandy encounters the twist

1(+0)Ernie* & Cindy    (7-6)
2(+0)Jeremy & Sandy*   (6-7)
3(+0)Amani & Marcus*   (7-6)

The clue they need to type out reads:
Route info:

These numbers are all the information you will need to find the
location of the next clue:

"44 - 715 - 74"

Teams must now figure out that the numbers commemorate former hall of fame Hank Aaron 715th home run in 1974. He played as number 44 and his home field was Turner field, and this is where teams will find their next clue.

Ernie & Cindy go to the nearest hotel where they use Google to figure it out.

Jeremy & Sandy somewhat later end up at the same hotel. The staff recognizes the the frazzled look of the players with a clue in hand and cameras and can immediately tell them where to go.

Choice quotes:
 "Not normally, but just for this time", The clerk at the hotel lets Cindy behind the desk (the TV-camera might have had something to do with it)

Teams reach the clue box at Turner Field (7km 0:11) in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus

Route info, one team member must now strap into a harness and climb around a giant map. On this they must drag a line to recreate their race route. They must anchor it in carbine hook placed in the correct countries. The actual map is very large, something like 10x6m, and a bit up in the air. Players are hooked into some sort of motorized pulley system so it is fairly easy for them to navigate vertically.

The correct route is: Taiwan, Indonesia, Thailand, Malawi, Denmark, Belgium, Panama, USA.

The team member not climbing the map must stand in a small marked square on the ground. They are free to shout instructions to their partner if they want.

What we are not shown but learn from interviews is that there is a 15 minute rigging time. That is teams must spend 15 minutes getting hooked into the thing and receiving a safety briefing. There is also a 10 minutes unrig time when teams are done.

Choice quotes:
 "Holy bananas, this is an enormous map", Cindy
 "Span, France, Belgium, Netherlands", You can tell Cindy has studied geography
 "This is the coolest map ever", Cindy appreciated the challenge

This task looks great on television due to the enormous size of the map. But for teams who have been paying attention the actual task is quite simple. Which is evident in the way Cindy flew through the challenge. Jeremy also completed it fairly quickly.

Teams complete this task in the following order (a * denotes the climbing player):
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy*, got it on her first try
  2(+0) Jeremy* & Sandy, missed Indonesia the first time
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus*

Ar last: the Finish Line!

Travel by taxi to the
Swan House!

When you reach the
entrance gates, run to
the Finish Line.

Go, Go, Go!!!

Choice quotes:
 "This is for all the marbles", Ernie in the final taxi ride
 "I'm so happy you have a GPS Ben", Cindy to their driver
 "Recalculating", The GPS get to say this a lot
 "Maybe their taxi broke down", Sandy has some hope

The editing suggests that there is a tense taxi race between Ernie & Cindy and Jeremy & Sandy where the former have a lead but their GPS always go 'Recalculating'. They actually do a decent job of getting this look exciting, at least given the circumstances. And the teams really were tense. But in reality Ernie & Cindy were about a hour ahead.

Teams reach Phil at the Swan house (16km 0:17) in the following order:
  1(+0) Ernie & Cindy, win the grand prize of $1,000,000
  2(+0) Jeremy & Sandy, about an hour later
  3(+0) Amani & Marcus, significantly later

Ernie & Cindy say the want to start an organization to multiply the money and give to those in need. Something along the lines of micro credits.

Choice quotes:
 "4 continents, 10 countries, 20 cities and more than 35,000 miles", Phil
 "The race has been the best pre-marital counseling that you can ever get", Cindy feels she know Ernie now
 "Marcus, promise me one thing... You will never become a pilot", Phil
 "I think the big lesson in this that you are not gonna win at everything, but whatever you do do not quit. Give it your all and go for it", Amani

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Re: Racing report, TAR 19, Episode 12 is on page 2
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
Thanks, Maf!  And I agree with Phil -- Marcus should promise Phil that he'll never be a pilot!   :cmaslol  Of course, since Marcus is afraid of flying, I doubt Marcus will ever become a pilot.

Belle Book