Archive > The Amazing Race 20 Spoilers

TAR 20 Pre-Race Speculation

<< < (2/28) > >>

Caelestor:
Since this is the 20th season, I expect 5 continents, possibly (but not likely) 6, with tons of famous destinations like TAR 18. S. America, Europe, and Asia are near-definites, while Africa is more likely than Oceania (that is, New Zealand) because going to New Zealand would pretty much require it to be the first stop, and that would mean 3 west to east cycles in a row.

I expect the race to go to South America first. Because TAR now uses direct flights to the first destination, I can definitely see a starting line of Miami and a first stop in either Buenos Aires or Lima, Peru. If the latter, throw in a second leg near Machu Picchu, and then to Buenos Aires or directly to Europe. At least 2 legs, maybe 3.

Europe: Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain are still high on my list of places TAR should return. Unfortunately, there are current economic issues there, particularly Greece, that may shy away the producers. Spain may also not be suitable after a few legs of S. America, so really, anywhere east of France is in play. Belgium and Denmark, the last two major countries in the Western half of Europe have been used up, so this leaves a return to magnificent Berlin and then a visit to the only new country this cycle, perhaps in the Baltic states. Probably only 3 legs.

For Africa, I'm heavily leaning towards Kilimanjaro and possibly Rwanda via Nairobi for a memorable Central Africa visit. Anyway, we'll see 1 or 2 legs there probably.

The only thing I can guarantee for Asia is a stop somewhere in India (and then perhaps Nepal) because it's the classic TAR destination. If TAR doesn't have anywhere to go in Europe, it'll stop in Turkey instead. China probably has to be visited since all the other East Asia countries have had recent stops (and the Philippines still have a travel warning); the alternative is Vietnam. 3 or 4 legs.

The final leg will either be in Seattle or Chicago; I'm hoping for the latter because it's a classy city full of culture. A stop in Vancouver, which I still highly recommend and want to see, would open up more possible final leg locations.

mjriches2005:

--- Quote from: Caelestor on October 02, 2011, 12:26:34 AM ---Since this is the 20th season, I expect 5 continents, possibly (but not likely) 6, with tons of famous destinations like TAR 18. S. America, Europe, and Asia are near-definites, while Africa is more likely than Oceania (that is, New Zealand) because going to New Zealand would pretty much require it to be the first stop, and that would mean 3 west to east cycles in a row.

I expect the race to go to South America first. Because TAR now uses direct flights to the first destination, I can definitely see a starting line of Miami and a first stop in either Buenos Aires or Lima, Peru. If the latter, throw in a second leg near Machu Picchu, and then to Buenos Aires or directly to Europe. At least 2 legs, maybe 3.

Europe: Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain are still high on my list of places TAR should return. Unfortunately, there are current economic issues there, particularly Greece, that may shy away the producers. Spain may also not be suitable after a few legs of S. America, so really, anywhere east of France is in play. Belgium and Denmark, the last two major countries in the Western half of Europe have been used up, so this leaves a return to magnificent Berlin and then a visit to the only new country this cycle, perhaps in the Baltic states. Probably only 3 legs.

For Africa, I'm heavily leaning towards Kilimanjaro and possibly Rwanda via Nairobi for a memorable Central Africa visit. Anyway, we'll see 1 or 2 legs there probably.

The only thing I can guarantee for Asia is a stop somewhere in India (and then perhaps Nepal) because it's the classic TAR destination. If TAR doesn't have anywhere to go in Europe, it'll stop in Turkey instead. China probably has to be visited since all the other East Asia countries have had recent stops (and the Philippines still have a travel warning); the alternative is Vietnam. 3 or 4 legs.

The final leg will either be in Seattle or Chicago; I'm hoping for the latter because it's a classy city full of culture. A stop in Vancouver, which I still highly recommend and want to see, would open up more possible final leg locations.

--- End quote ---

The Philippines travel warning is mainly centered in Mindinao and the Sulu Archepelago.  Manila, Palawan and the rest of the country is practically safe but with caution.  Israel was recently visited on the Australian versian and visited both the Israeli coastline and areas near the West Bank with no conflict. I agree for Israel and Rwanda, which are way overdue for a visit.  Palau (after Asia) or Fiji (after New Zealand/Australia) fits in well here too.

Mandoli:
I know it's a stretch (and I don't know how many times they've visited), but what are the chances of TAR going to the caribbean any time soon? Was the last time they went there in the family edition? My mind is absolutely shot, and it doesn't help when I think there's a bug in my bed.

theschnauzers:
The islands themselves depend on exactly when they are filming.  Hurricane season doesn't normally end until November 30th, and this has been a very active year (16 named storms, 18 tropical cyclones) in the basin that includes the Caribbean Sea. The islands have had several of them go through already this year; it's just that none of them were major hurricane strength, fortunately.

However, because this is been an extreme active season as was predicted, there's a better than 50-50 change they will get several more tropical cyclones to form before November 30th or maybe into December. That's what happened in both 1995 and 2005 which were the two most active seasons we had recently.  The Caribbean, especially the western half, is the most common area for late season storms to develop,

Bottom line -- unless filming starts in late November, the Caribbean probably won't be included to avoid the risk of having to make last minutes changes. (Which is exactly what they had to contend with during filming of TAR Family Edition in 2005 where IIRC filming was affected at four different times by tropical cyclones.

apskip:

--- Quote from: Caelestor on October 02, 2011, 12:26:34 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Really? Well, how about New York City my favorite for the 20th anniversary finish line or San Diego (my 2nd favorite and never visited)? Also, how about:
Philadelphia (never visited)
Pittsburgh (never visited)
Charlotte (never visited)
Orlando (never visited)
New Orleans (one visit)
Houston (never visited)
San Antonio (never visited)
Detroit (never visited)
Minneapolis (never visited)
St. Louis (never visited)
Kansas City (never visited)
Sacramento (never visited)