Author Topic: TAR 19: Ernie Halvorsen & Cindy Chiang (Engaged)  (Read 162980 times)

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 19: Ernie Halvorsen & Cindy Chiang (Engaged)
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
OMG they have got to be the luckiest team ever!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
Not true. I've travelled by train in Germany taking several different trips, and the percentage of times I've got checked by a conductor was only about 30%. No shenanigans needed to be involved.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »
I'm enjoying this team each and every time. They give me a very Tammy and Victor vibe. You either hate them or dislike them and I really like them. They do know they're the team to beat because they're indeed the team to beat, but they don't do that all the time... like silly stunts from Andy and Tommy at the Legoland Task, seems to be like taunting Sandy. Major annoyance for me.

They're what makes the race interesting to watch and they work well together as a team!! :tup: :luvya:

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
Looks like I'm one of the last one who likes them. Personnally, I find them entertaining, at least beside the teams left (lets not talk about J/S; A/T are too nice & dominate :lol:; and A/M, entertaining, yes, but not as much). Like I said, they create a lot of drama (U-Turn, someone?). Also love how they interact (sometime, it feels like they are going to bicker, but just don't), how they respond to each other (at the waffle detour, Cindy was how? how? how? at Ernie who answered at all of those questions, the last one being "How do J/S assemble the kiosk that quickly?" with Ernie saying "Because they're taller than us" :lol3:. If they werent there, I would find this season pretty boring.

But I can understand why people dont like them (Cindy is whiny, etc). Personnally, I like teams that puts action in the show.

Offline claysparks

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
I hate them both.Annoying & irritating to the max.I can't stand looking at the face of Ernie.lol.His Ray Liotta eyes just freak me out.lol Hate Cindy.She looks like my whiny neighbor here.Wish they got eliminated earlier when their train tickets got lost.Damn!Hope they didn't make it to the Final 3.

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:49 AM »
Ernie and Cindy are awesome!!!
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
I don't think they can win if they make the final because though they usually finish tasks in first place they haven't been able to translate that to first place finishes. Many times this season they have finished the roadblock or detour or both in first or second and checked in lower than that at the pit stop. Navigation is not their strong suit apparently. It caused them to be passed on the way to the Pitstop in Phuket, Malawi, and Brussels. In the first Malawi they also ruined a good performance at the Roadblock and Detour with the  bed carrying. They also failed to win a prize at the end of leg 9 despite finishing the last task in first because Amani and Marcus made it to the Pitstop first.

It must be frustrating to be a fan of theirs.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »
It must be frustrating to be a fan of theirs.

<3

PS: Even though it is more frustrating to have Laurence & Zac in a Prediction Game.

I mainly think those two have tried to be the good team, the kind ones, the sweet ones, and I just don't feel they are that way, IDK. She gets on my nerves, literally, and IMHO, they are getting more airtime than the NFL couple; really.

Great Final 4 bet!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
I'm actually not frustrated by Ernie and Cindy not winning ALL the legs. I like it that they're just like any average team who set high standards for themselves but only fall short of it because they're not perfect. And on the legs they ran a perfect leg, they're thankful for it.

They definitely could have been a team to beat if they maintain their lead all the time, but besides Cindy showing slight frustration at times, this team has been nothing but gracious to one another and enjoy their moments on the race. How many times have we seen Cindy getting excited because Ernie gets to do something cool or challenging? How many times have we seen Ernie just simply being a gentleman to Cindy's behaviour, tolerant to her comments and showing pleasure while completing his tasks.

They may not have been my favourite team this season but I believe they definitely do not deserve all the hate they have been receiving. Comparing them to teams like Jonathan and Victoria, Ray and Deana, Lynn and Alex, Weavers... really? You really hate them? :duno:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:59:45 AM by Joab »

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Reality show Freak :)
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
They are getting more and more like  Lily & Jan from China Rush 2...

Cindy look more and more like Lily, getting more and more competitive.. :groan: :groan: (:;) (:;)

But their winning is more better than Andy & Tommy..  ;)
Coming Soon Autowil Amazing Race 1 - 2023....

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 10:00:40 AM »
True, they aren't a real fighting team; I just don't care for them.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
They may not have been my favourite team this season but I believe they definitely do not deserve all the hate they have been receiving. Comparing them to teams like Jonathan and Victoria, Ray and Deana, Lynn and Alex, Weavers... really? You really hate them? :duno:

I definitely loved the Weavers, so...

I never liked these two. That's what I really think. I don't think of them as the team they want to show us. That's my own matter with them.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »
And not to mention that Cindy does her share of the tasks really well. Remember Taiwan's Roadblock and the one where she had to recite the poem? She maintained the lead for the team, both times going into the task in first place and leaving/completing in first as well.

Offline Baboo199

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • living live
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
cindy is a bitch,uturning the ma pa wasn't nice

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
They are getting more and more like  Lily & Jan from China Rush 2...

Cindy look more and more like Lily, getting more and more competitive.. :groan: :groan: (:;) (:;)

But their winning is more better than Andy & Tommy..  ;)

I loved Lily and Jan, but I really don't like Ernie and Cindy.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »
I'm actually not frustrated by Ernie and Cindy not winning ALL the legs. I like it that they're just like any average team who set high standards for themselves but only fall short of it because they're not perfect. And on the legs they ran a perfect leg, they're thankful for it.

They definitely could have been a team to beat if they maintain their lead all the time, but besides Cindy showing slight frustration at times, this team has been nothing but gracious to one another and enjoy their moments on the race. How many times have we seen Cindy getting excited because Ernie gets to do something cool or challenging? How many times have we seen Ernie just simply being a gentleman to Cindy's behaviour, tolerant to her comments and showing pleasure while completing his tasks.

I think the main reason why some people hate Ernie & Cindy is because they U-Turned Bill & Cathi.  A lot of people love Bill & Cathi so they hate Ernie & Cindy for U-Turning the older couple.

Belle Book

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
And not to mention that Cindy does her share of the tasks really well. Remember Taiwan's Roadblock and the one where she had to recite the poem? She maintained the lead for the team, both times going into the task in first place and leaving/completing in first as well.

They should be congratulated for being so good at tasks but they almost always squander their hard work by making a dumb mistake. It is becoming quite the pattern. They don't have very good race strategy. They make poor decisions regarding race powers and everything that is not tasks. Their strong task performance is probably the only reason they haven't been eliminated.
In this way they are very similar to the cowboys. They get along well and work harder than anyone, only to lose all of that by always finding a silly way to screw up.

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »

I think the main reason why some people hate Ernie & Cindy is because they U-Turned Bill & Cathi.  A lot of people love Bill & Cathi so they hate Ernie & Cindy for U-Turning the older couple.

Belle Book

I agree with this, which is quite sad. Race powers are there to be used. If people don't like their favourite teams getting U-Turned, maybe we can petition for them to remove the U-Turn.

They should be congratulated for being so good at tasks but they almost always squander their hard work by making a dumb mistake. It is becoming quite the pattern. They don't have very good race strategy. They make poor decisions regarding race powers and everything that is not tasks. Their strong task performance is probably the only reason they haven't been eliminated.
In this way they are very similar to the cowboys. They get along well and work harder than anyone, only to lose all of that by always finding a silly way to screw up.

I agree with this too. They are great at tasks and challenges but they are not race-smart. I wouldn't say making a dumb mistake because ultimately, they are still here and many of the other teams aren't, so I wouldn't call them dumb.

Dumb would be those who don't read clues and get unnecessary penalties. :lol:
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
I see no problem with them U-Turning Bill & Cathi... If Andy & Tommy were right behind them, Ernie & Cindy would have U-Turned them. :groan: It's not like Bill & Cathi are immune from being U-Turned... goodness. Besides, it's not like Bill & Cathi were eliminated or got really behind as a result of the U-Turn. :duno:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
I see no problem with them U-Turning Bill & Cathi... If Andy & Tommy were right behind them, Ernie & Cindy would have U-Turned them. :groan: It's not like Bill & Cathi are immune from being U-Turned... goodness. Besides, it's not like Bill & Cathi were eliminated or got really behind as a result of the U-Turn. :duno:

Ditto.

U-TURN is part of the game. Tammy and Victor used the U-TURN on Kisha and Jen and wrote "We can't outrun you" on the U-TURN board in TAR 14. It's true that Tammy and Victor did slow down Kisha and Jen, however.. their elimination in the end was because of the navigational problems on that leg. Had they done a Bill and Cathi who didn't get lost in Copenhagen, they would have been fine just like Bill and Cathi, U-TURNed and still second.

The U-TURN on Bill and Cathi was simply a COMPLIMENT that they were directly behind them and based on what happened to them on the previous leg with their WIN snatched from the snowboarders AND having used their Express Pass already. So they really wanted to win the leg just in case in the last moment, they got lost or anything and Bill and Cathi wins the leg. It was purely STRATEGIC. Just as strategic as a SECOND last place team trying to U-TURN a LAST place team because they want to stay alive. Or simply, a team U-TURNing a really STRONG team to make sure that they fall behind and get eliminated (Margie and Luke on Amanda and Kris)

I don't really see the big hooha on this strategic use of the U-TURN? You mean, you really rather see them U-TURN Andy and Tommy instead because they hated them for snatching their win from the previous leg? That would be completely superficial and did nothing at all. Andy and Tommy would not have won the leg nor would they have been eliminated. So the U-TURN would be completely pointless. And this is coming from a Bill and Cathi super fan, so I'm not trying to protect Ernie and Cindy. Just reasoning things out.

Because if you take some time to think... did you believe that Michael and Louie's U-TURN on Joe and Heidi and Brent and Caite's U-TURN on Carol and Brandy were strategic? NO! Because it's completely personal and it made the race SO very hard to watch. Not only that, they ended up not winning because stronger teams like Jet and Cord were always getting in before them. If you give me a choice, I'll rather the U-TURN be used in a strategic THAN personal way..

Just saying.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »
But to me, it seemed they only U-Turned to guarantee first place, and were not thinking into future legs. Maybe it's just me...

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2011, 01:39:49 AM »
But to me, it seemed they only U-Turned to guarantee first place, and were not thinking into future legs. Maybe it's just me...

U-TURNing Andy and Tommy would not have done anything.

The rest of the teams are not as good as racing as compared to them. The only team Marcus and Amani who have won a leg, stumbled on a NEL and have not been seen by E/C for the entire leg due to the late flight.

So. It's either they use it or don't use it. They probably anticipate that there's only 2 U-TURNs on the entire race. And if they don't use it now... there probably won't be another one. So the most logical reason would be to use it for a win and try to get first place... right?

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »

U-TURNing Andy and Tommy would not have done anything.

The rest of the teams are not as good as racing as compared to them. The only team Marcus and Amani who have won a leg, stumbled on a NEL and have not been seen by E/C for the entire leg due to the late flight.

So. It's either they use it or don't use it. They probably anticipate that there's only 2 U-TURNs on the entire race. And if they don't use it now... there probably won't be another one. So the most logical reason would be to use it for a win and try to get first place... right?

Joab, I completely agree with you, it's sad that most people don't realize the logic of this U-turn.

It's a plain and easy decision, if Ernie/Cindy wanted to use the U-turn at that time, the most logical choice is Bill/Cathi because:
(1) they wouldn't know what task would be ahead and B/C were like 10 minutes behind them, they might get lost on the way to pit stop (like what happened last leg), so why don't have a longer buffer?
(2) they did not see other teams at that time, so they were only sure B/C were behind them at that point
(3) Andy/Tommy were strong but they were not 100% sure A/T were behind them at that point and they assumed Amani/Marcus were way behind which wouldn't make A/T eliminated even U-turn them
(4) Since they assumed A/M were way behind, it didn't make sense to U-turn other teams like Z/L and J/S

So with all reasons above considered, if they chose to use the U-turn the most sensible choice was on B/C, otherwise there would be no effect at all.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:12 AM »
I agree with Aussie; Ernie and Cindy had the wrong mentality and still have the wrong mentality if they expect to win the Race. They just want to win a leg and they aren't thinking about the most important leg.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
I agree with Aussie; Ernie and Cindy had the wrong mentality and still have the wrong mentality if they expect to win the Race. They just want to win a leg and they aren't thinking about the most important leg.

This discussion is fun. How is trying to win a leg and using a U-TURN to win a leg a wrong mentality? If I get to win a leg and go home with a trip for two, at least I know I won't be going home empty handed even if I don't win right?

I really don't get the comment of "They just want to win a leg and they aren't thinking about the most important leg." So let's say, Ernie and Cindy don't use the U-TURN on Bill and Cathi and they still win the leg.. how would it affect their actions in future of "not thinking about the most important leg"? As with, they did use the U-TURN, so how did it affect their future performance on the race?? This isn't making sense at all.. Prophet? Please explain further because I really would sincerely like to know how did the usage of the U-TURN on Bill and Cathi affected Ernie and Cindy if you said "they aren't thinking about the most important leg"??

This is really confusing. :lol: