Author Topic: TAR 19: Kaylani Paliotta & Lisa Tilley (Friends/Former Vegas showgirls)  (Read 57558 times)

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19: Kaylani Paliotta & Lisa Tilley (Friends/Former Vegas showgirls)
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
Didn't Lisa do the memory task in like one take?

Not sure dropping a passport makes or implies you are stupid....

No, she did not as I recall. The only person doing the ROADBLOCK who succeeded in one take appeared to be Cathi.

I'm pretty sure Lisa did.  :duno:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »
I thought both of them did it in one try.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
@RachelEReilly
Rachel Reilly
Can't wait 4the premier of AMAZING RACE tonight with my bestie @KaylaniPaliotta tune into CBS at 8pm!!!25 Sep via Twitter for Android

Found this quoted at another site.  The last thing I wanted to see on TAR were F.O.R. from Vegas. (Friends of Rachel).  Guess this explains a bunch about this team, doesn't it?
-- theschnauzers

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:37 AM »
Didn't Lisa do the memory task in like one take?

Not sure dropping a passport makes or implies you are stupid....

No, she did not as I recall. The only person doing the ROADBLOCK who succeeded in one take appeared to be Cathi.

Apskip,

You are incorrect. Lisa completed the ROADBLOCK in one take too (in what the edited episode shown), as my memory tells me.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »
Apskip,

Cocoa is correct.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
OK, I will accept that, although it may be what the presentation on CBS shows. However, what really happened, as the CBS editing resources show what they want the storyline to say? We will not know until both of those teams are eliminated from the telecasts and will be free to be asked questions.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
Kaylani is attending and raising $$$ for Reality Rescue Oct 14 in Glen Allen VA....you can read more here:

http://www.realityrescuefestival.com/attendee/tag/the-amazing-race/

Also attending are many of our former racer friends (Louie, Sarah, Jodi, Jenn Parker, Jenn Hopka, Jordan P, Ray )...so if you would like to make a donation to help our furry friends this is an excellent and well run charity!!

http://www.realityrescuefestival.com/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 03:26:51 AM »
Team 9: Kaylani and Lisa (Former Vegas Showgirls)

Kaylani Paliotta

Hometown: Las Vegas

Connection to your teammate: Friend

Current occupation: Cocktail waitress

Describe what you do: I’m a VIP cocktail waitress and pilates instructor.

How will these skills help you win The Race? I am used to working under pressure. I am also a technically trained dancer, so I am very agile and flexible. I am used to pushing myself beyond my limits. I am not a quitter. 

Three words to describe you: Fearless, competitive and outgoing.

Favorite hobbies: Spending time with my daughter, surfing, dancing and scrapbooking.

What famous person reminds you of yourself? Demi Moore     

What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Kim Kardashian

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? My daughter, Seneca. She is just simply amazing.

What scares you most about traveling? Right now, the world is hostile in so many places, and that can be scary going into a territory that your country has no jurisdiction over to help should something happen.

What excites you most about traveling? Seeing other cultures and seeing the world. I love to travel!

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Being open to the other person’s point of view when we have our mind set on what we want to do.

Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes when you talk to her and she doesn’t agree, Lisa will stare at you with this blank stare and start shaking her head. And, if you are talking, you can be certain that Lisa will cut you off and she will twist anything to make herself right. Should you disagree with her she throws a fit.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I want to go to Italy. Specifically, a little town called Ponta Corva because that is where my father’s side of the family is originally from.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I want to have an amazing experience, travel the world, have new adventures, explore new cultures and build a stronger bond of friendship with Lisa. It's a once in a lifetime time chance, and I want to take it all in. I really hope to be able to look back at the experience and be able to say to myself and my daughter, "You can do anything!”

Lisa Tilley

Hometown: Las Vegas

Connection to your teammate: Friend

Current occupation: Cocktail waitress   

Describe what you do: When customers come to the nightclub and get a table with bottle service, I am their waitress.

How will these skills help you win The Race? I have great communication skills and I’m forward, outgoing and very competitive.

Three words to describe you: Smart, loyal and beautiful.

Favorite hobbies: Traveling, shopping and exercising.

What famous person reminds you of yourself? People say I look like Kim Kardashian.   

What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Demi Moore.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Being the first of my family to go to college.

What scares you most about traveling? Getting sick from the food.

What excites you most about traveling? Seeing foreign cities and people.

Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes she’s too nice and can come off as being fake.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Italy, because I hear it’s really beautiful!

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I hope to have a fun experience, an adventure and I’m eager to do something out of the ordinary. 

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/the-amazing-race/bios?id=team-bios
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:30:26 AM by kiki »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
Sad to see these two go  :'( Good race girls  :hrt:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
What a beautiful daughter...and I have NO doubt that she is VERY proud of her Mom!!

Good job Lisa... very tough RB!

And we are going to miss you both!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:44 PM »
They put up a good fight, sorry to see a team go because of random taxi issues :(

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
Those postbumps gave me a spoiler on who got eliminated before I even get to watch the show. :( :lol: But, yeah, I expected them to be out though. :(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »
Darn, just checked wikipedia...  :'( I was really hoping at least to make it through the 4th leg, but it wasn't a suprise.

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 02:24:54 AM »
this elimination is kinda random. And I'm surprised Amani & Marcus caught up fast. For a second, I thought it's them gonna go.
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:04 AM »
Luke (Margie and Luke) spoiled me on Facebook... :lol: So I know they went home... But didn't expect them to go home fighting a good leg... it sucks that they got eliminated in a really random way. But at least it's not Liz and Marie or Bill and Cathi... sorry...

Will miss the girls! They're nice people~~

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
Okay, I thought the twins had the first 3 team elimination look until I saw these girls.

How about a bold prediction that they will be one of the first 3 teams eliminated. :lol:

Sigh.

I wished I didn't say that.

Offline GreenNegg

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
So sad to see these girls go!  :'(

I was really rooting for them!

And Kaylani, you definitely made your daughter proud.  :hrt:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
Amazing Race's Kaylani and Lisa: We're Shocked Marcus Forgot the Answer

Amazing Race's Kaylani and Lisa: We're Shocked Marcus Forgot the Answer  Joyce Eng Oct 10, 2011 by Joyce Eng

Kaylani and Lisa For once, having a cab caused a downfall on The Amazing Race. Vegas showgirls Kaylani Paliotta and Lisa Tilley lost valuable time when they had to settle their cab fare before checking into the Pit Stop at Indonesia's Borobudur Temple, ultimately in last place. "When we were driving up there, we kept telling each other, 'We're going to pay our cab,'" Tilley tells TVGuide.com. "But for whatever reason, once we actually got there, we were in such a rush to get started that we just had him wait and got out." Still, while their race ended early, they're happy to have raced at all after Paliotta lost her passport en route to LAX in the first leg — only to have Twitter come to the rescue.

How far behind Liz and Marie were you?
Kaylani:
We were probably like 10 minutes after. We knew [we were last] when we left the temple ... because we had to pay our cab fare and [Marcus and Amani] didn't.

What happened during that? It looked like you paid your cab before the twins did.
Lisa:
We didn't know that the twins got lost, but when we were walking out [to pay our cab], we actually saw the twins walking back in, so they definitely paid their cab before us. I know it didn't seem like that on the show ... so we kind of knew they were ahead of us.
Kaylani: It didn't take long to find the cab, but it was a long walk because you had to walk from the temple down the stairs and you had to keep walking on the temple grounds. You weren't allowed to run at all. It was frustrating because we got there third and were one of the last teams to finish. I would say we would say we were there for three hours at least.

Do you regret having your cabbie wait for you?
Lisa:
We knew right away: "Ugh, we should've paid our cab." When you're racing, your brain is going a thousand miles an hour and it was just a slip-up. And it definitely would've made a difference if we had paid because we would've checked in right after Marcus and Amani or just before them. So you live and learn.

You guys arrived with the twins. Why didn't you work together?
Lisa:
You didn't see it, but at the top of the temple, we read the clue, and [Marie] and I started counting. When we had gotten down to the next level, I heard her skip a number. She went like, "10, 12, 13..." And I was like, "Oh my God! This girl just skipped 11!" [Laughs] So I ended up ditching her. She went one way and I went the other way. I was like, "She can't even count!" What really upsets me is that at one point, Tommy had come up to me and asked me what number I was on. But I was so focused on counting that I didn't think to stop and talk to him, so I kept going. That's one of my biggest regrets.

And he told Amani and Marcus the answer later.
Lisa:
I know! Marcus didn't tell me about that, but he knew the gist of it. I didn't know what floor you were supposed to be on because you actually only had to count the hand statues on one out of the seven levels. We were all counting the statues on every level. It was in the clue, but you still had to ask someone where the third gallery was.
Kaylani: They referred to the levels as galleries. That was frustrating last night, seeing that Marcus knew the answer and he forgot it! ... I was shocked seeing that because they could've been done.
Lisa: Yeah, I can't believe he forgot them. When I finally teamed up with him, he knew he had to count the different hand positions, but for the life of him — once he finished one [position] and started counting the next one — he could not remember how many were with which hand. So once I knew what I had to do and was on the right floor, we were done in, like, 15 minutes.

He couldn't remember the numbers? Three of them were 17 and the other one was 18.
Lisa:
[Laughs] Um, well, Marcus always said that Amani was the brains of the team. And she was too tired to do it. He was like, "Normally, Amani would handle these types of challenges."

Why didn't you team up with the other group?
Lisa:
I didn't see them. I never saw Jeremy and I never saw Ernie when I was up there. I also didn't trust them, either. ... It seemed like they figured it out really fast once they got together, but they were on the wrong track like I was in the beginning. We were less than 20 minutes behind all of them. When I teamed up with Marcus, our first guess was off by one — we thought it was 17 for all of them. So we had to count them again and realized one of them was 18. So we could've totally beaten [the other teams].

Is the elimination any easier to swallow knowing that you could've been out in the first episode?
Lisa:
[Laughs] Yeah, I was so happy to have made it that far. When we were in L.A., I thought it was over. I just kept thinking how much it sucked and what a bummer, so just to make it out of the country, I was happy.

Could you believe it all unfolded like it did? And that Twitter saved you? Some fans think there was producer intervention and it was staged.
Kaylani:
It all happened! It was just amazing how social media met up with something like that. I mean, for Ryan [Storms, who found the passport] to think about Twittering — it was actually genius. I would've never thought to go on Twitter to post that or to follow the Race from the Reality Fan Forum. He was very, very sweet about making sure he brought the passport to us. I've gotten to speak with him and thank him for all his help. Apparently he was just going to mail it to me the next day! [Laughs] [The fan who tweeted back to him] was on the phone with him and was like, "You don't understand! You have to drop this off at LAX!" That was the sweetest thing. You don't find too often, especially nowadays, people who are kind to each other.

What were you doing at the airport before he came?
Kaylani:
We were running around with our heads cut off!
Lisa: Yeah. You didn't see it, but we were going online, putting a dollar into the computer, Googling "What to do when you lose your passport?" We went to customs and pretty much everything was like, "Nothing until Monday morning when the office opens."
Kaylani: We went back to the car and searched the entire car again. We did get a chance to go back to the gas station, which you saw, but that was within five minutes of leaving the gas station. At first, I was like, "It's gone." But we thought maybe one of the other teams found it and brought it to the airport because we saw other teams pull in there after us for directions. But no one had it at the airport.

What are you up to now?
Lisa:
I've been taking the whole summer off and visiting places. I have one last class to finish for school, so in December I'll have my degree. And then I'm just hoping to ... move on to the next great adventure.
Kaylani: I am actually working on producing a couple of shows with my boyfriend, like travel shows. I'm spending a lot of time with my little girl. She had a hard time watching last night. She just burst into tears. I didn't realize it was going to affect her like that to see her cry. She was just like, "Mom! Why are you not on the Race?!" ... We're moving to L.A. right now so I can spend some time with my best friend Rachel [from Big Brother].

Too bad you guys couldn't both win your shows in the same year.
Kaylani:
I know! We were both hoping that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exclusive: Lisa Tilley and Kaylani Paliotta talk 'The Amazing Race'

Exclusive: Lisa Tilley and Kaylani Paliotta talk 'The Amazing Race' By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 10/10/2011

Lisa Tilley and Kaylani Paliotta's race was doomed at the end of the third leg when Lisa had a terrible time figuring out how to complete the Roadblock task at the Borobudur Temple, which put them in eighth place during The Amazing Race's nineteenth season's third episode.

Although the "Friends and former Vegas Showgirls" got lucky in the premiere episode when a stranger discovered Kaylani's lost passport and returned it to the pair just in time at the airport, the team's luck changed when they were forced to take the time to pay their cab driver before heading to the Pit Stop when they had failed to take care of it upon arriving at the Roadblock -- allowing all the other teams to pass them and resulting in their elimination from the competition.

On Monday, Lisa and Kaylani talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including which former Big Brother contestant Kaylani considers her best friend and originally planned to run the Race with, why Lisa struggled so much with the Roadblock task and began calling out random numbers, what their strategy was for beating Marcus Pollard and Amani Pollard in a race to the finish, and what incident shocked the pair during the third leg.   

Reality TV World: You girls finished the bicycle route in third place but then you arrived at the restaurant where you were given the clue about the Detour tasks in seventh place. The show made it seem like you had a slow cab driver, so was that actually the case? What happened there exactly?

Lisa Tilley: Oh my God, we actually got dumped by our cab driver! The first cab we took after we left the bicycle route, he started driving and he didn't speak a word of English. And then all of a sudden, he just pulled over and was like, "Okay, get out." And then we tried to hail another cab.

Kaylani Paliotta: He didn't know -- He had no idea where he was going. He just kind of took us in the cab and we were like, "Um, okay, we're going to have to figure something out."

Reality TV World: Lisa, at the temple Roadblock during last night's episode, you seemed to really struggle at first and guess very high numbers like 263. What exactly confused you about the task and where did you go wrong? Did you attempt to count the Buddha carvings on the walls of the temple and would you say the instructions on the clue weren't descriptive enough or clear?

Lisa Tilley: They weren't. I mean, looking back at it now, I can see how it was descriptive enough. But at the time, one of the biggest problems was I wasn't counting the carvings on the wall, I was actually counting all of the Buddha statues -- the ones that were up above -- because more than half of those Buddha statues don't even have their hands on them.

They're broken off, so that threw me off too. It was like you had to figure out that you just had to keep counting the same hand position until you get to one that's a different hand position.

Reality TV World: Lisa, after you guessed 263, you threw out a bunch of numbers afterward in the 200s. Did you really think you were close and you were hoping to guess the right one, or were you just being kind of funny in that you were saying random numbers because you were simply frustrated with the task?

Kaylani Paliotta: (Laughs)

Lisa Tilley: (Laughs) It was a little bit of both. I thought I was close and I was frustrated. I was like, "Well then 200! 201!" (Laughs) I was like, "What the hell is it?" It was so frustrating.

Reality TV World: Lisa, you worked together with Marcus during the Roadblock task at the temple to figure out what you were required to do. Did you realize at the time you and him were the last two attempting to complete the task, and if so, what was your strategy for beating him in the end? Did you think it was going to be a foot race where you could outrun him and Amani or did you think before reading the next set of clues it would come down to a cab ride?

Lisa Tilley: Yeah, I mean the sad thing is that you don't realize that when you're at the temple, where the Pit Stop is. You don't know that the Pit Stop is actually at the temple and you're not going to need your cab afterwards. So, the good thing is that Marcus and Amani paid their cab before they even went into the temple.

So, once we finished, they just had to go to the Pit Stop while Kaylani and I had to go pay our cab -- along with a lot of other teams. But I mean, when Marcus and I first teamed up, we weren't the last two teams there. There were still other teams there.

They just -- the first time that Marcus and I counted it, we came up with 17 for all four of them and then we had to go back and count again. Through that, it was when the other teams ended up figuring it out and leaving.

When Marcus and I were counting, I had thought about trying to not tell him what it was or throwing him off somehow. That thought definitely crossed my mind, but at the same time, it's like he was helping me and I was helping him. I wasn't going to try to do that to him.

Reality TV World: What were your thoughts on how Amani and Marcus' finish in the leg basically came down to luck? They got rid of their cab because they thought their driver was incompetent and it ended up being the difference between their survival and their elimination in the Race. Did that surprise you?

Lisa Tilley: Yeah, I mean, it just goes to show always, always -- for all future teams out there -- always pay your cab up and then ask them to wait and just cross your fingers that they wait for you. But just always pay your cab, always always.

Kaylani Paliotta: Yes. I think the other thing that Lisa didn't know -- I guess I knew because I was sitting on the side and I was unable to help. I was sitting with the other teams -- was that some of the other teams had come in the other way as well and had their cabs right next to the Pit Stop.

So I think we both, when we originally got there, assumed everybody left their cabs there. We didn't actually know that that was going to be the Pit Stop. So, we didn't pay our cab. You know, just pay your cab! (Laughs) Pay your cab.

Reality TV World: Were you two aware that Andy Finch and Tommy Czeschin had given the answer to the temple Roadblock to Amani and Marcus ahead of time or did you just discover that from watching the show? Did you think the snowboarders helping them was fair, unfair or are you indifferent to it?

Kaylani Paliotta: I was in shock that Marcus and Amani knew or had gotten the answer from Tommy and Andy! Amani didn't say anything that [Marcus] knew anything to me and then when [Lisa] finally teamed up with Marcus, I was like, "Yes! Now we still have two people working on it together."

I was like, "Yes!" Because every time [Lisa] went down there and was giving the numbers and getting frustrated, I felt bad for her because you could see the frustration on her face and it was hot out.

We were tired from all the other tasks and it was just shocking to see that they had already known. But at that point when I saw it last night, I was kind of confused on why he didn't listen to what was happening, because there definitely could have been a different turn out had he listened to that earlier.

Reality TV World: You girls finished the Roadblock task in eighth place but then obviously came in ninth and last place at the end of the leg, and it seemed to all come down to you having to pay your taxi driver that was waiting for you. Could you elaborate on how long it took you to pay the cab driver and what happened there? Did you have trouble finding your cab like Liz and Marie or were you just far from the Pit Stop at that point?

Kaylani Paliotta: It was actually -- the whole temple's rules were that you had to walk and you had to go clockwise, so you have to remember that you have to follow other cultures' -- you have to respect their culture and walk and you have to go clockwise. So, it wasn't so much hard to find the exit after that.

It was just actually trying to walk fast enough to catch up to everybody else, because we were the last team with Marcus and Amani. But Marcus and Amani had already paid their cab, so they got to go straight to the Pit Stop. So we still had to catch up to everybody else that had already left and we...

Lisa Tilley: We had to walk at the same time.

Kaylani Paliotta: Yes! Exactly. It was easy to find our cab, but trying to do that walking and not being able to run was the most frustrating part about the whole thing.

Reality TV World: After you finished the Roadblock task and were told to search the ground for the Pit Stop, how detailed was that search and what did it involve you guys doing? Was it easy to discover and how far away was the Pit Stop from where you received the clue instructing you to head there?

Kaylani Paliotta: You could see the Pit Stop from the temple! It was just right across the grass, but you had to go back in clockwise. It was the exit you had to go back through.

Lisa Tilley: From where we were standing, it was kind of counter-clockwise so you had to walk all around the Buddhist temple again. But it wasn't that far. It was just a matter of how we had to go back to the cab. That's what took a lot of time and that was our biggest mistake.

Kaylani Paliotta: Yeah.

Reality TV World: Do you two have any idea about far behind Liz Canavan and Marie Canavan you arrived at the Pit Stop?

Kaylani Paliotta: Yes. We arrived about 10 minutes after them.

Reality TV World: How did you decide who was going to the Roadblock task? Did you just plan to switch off week to week or did you base your decision on who had more energy in the moment like other teams had because the climb to the top of the temple stairs seemed tiring?

Kaylani Paliotta: Lisa and I had discussed just switching off between the Roadblocks so that we both got the opportunity to rest and so there wouldn't be one person doing more Roadblocks than the other. So it was kind of...

Lisa Tilley: There was only a certain number you could do.

Kaylani Paliotta: Yeah. One person isn't allowed to do every single Roadblock. So, we had already discussed that we would just take turns.

Reality TV World: Some viewers have expressed skepticism over how your passport incident from the premiere episode unfolded, and Jenna Morasca even tweeted something at the time suggesting she was one of the skeptics. So, what are both of your thoughts on how all of that played out? Would you say it was just luck or how would you respond to the skeptics?

Kaylani Paliotta: I think it was definitely luck. Social media is amazing with [the guy who found my passport] Ryan actually thinking ahead and tweeting it because he put the two and two together -- I mean, that was definitely 100% percent luck and I had realized that I lost the passport five minutes after we left the gas station. So, I mean, it definitely was not fake at all.

It was definitely 100% percent real. (Laughs) I was mostly disappointed because I felt like I was letting down my teammate and I was letting down my little girl. I didn't want it to be over and this is something that I was looking forward to. I felt bad because Lisa wasn't the one who lost the passport. It was me and she handled it well.

We got through it. We were definitely lucky to be able to continue on the Race, because who would have guessed that a stranger would have gone out of his way. I mean, he was about 45 minutes away and he had his own day planned of what he needed to get done. It was definitely somebody looking over us.

Reality TV World: You guys arrived at the Detour task in seventh place but finished the task in third place. It obviously looked like the "Rice Field" task was quicker and maybe easier than the "Grass Fed" one, so how did you decide which Detour task to do?

Lisa Tilley: Kaylani was the one who decided to do that one, thank goodness!

Kaylani Paliotta: (Laughs)

Lisa Tilley: I remember Kaylani saying, "The 'Rice Field' looks like a task that you just stay in one place and you do, where the sheep task involves moving around and going different places. So the rice one is definitely going to be easier even though we're going to get a little messy. We got really muddy! (Laughs)

Kaylani Paliotta: We had our shoes off, so that helped... We took our shoes off, so that helped.

Reality TV World: During last week's episode, you were one of the only three teams who successfully read the sign on the orphanage's collection table -- why did you stop to read it? Did it just catch your eye or were you intentionally being observant, because so many of the other teams completely overlooked it. Why do you think the others missed it so easily?

Kaylani Paliotta: You know what happened? What happened was Lisa stopped when that lady handed us the pendant to look for where we needed to go for the Pit Stop, and Lisa kept on saying, "Where's the clue? Where's the clue?" And she stopped and looked at what was written and was like -- We had turned in  just the money that we had raised, the 30,000 rupiah.

We had just turned that in and when she had gotten that, she was like, "Where's the clue?" So she stopped and looked at and read that sign again, and she was like, "Oh my gosh, we have to turn in everything!" So had there not been that confusion, we would have probably done the same thing, because I was ready to take off. (Laughs)

Reality TV World: There's been a lot of discussion about the sign at the orphanage. Would you guys say overall that it was fair the information was included on the clue and that it was only given on the sign on the table? What are your thoughts on that?

Lisa Tilley: Well seeing how things turned out, I think it's absolutely fair! (Laughs)

Kaylani Paliotta: I do too! (Laughs) I concur with that!

Lisa Tilley: Because the thing that they handed us just was this emblem and it had nothing written on it. So I just kind of looked around and it was right there next to all the envelopes that we were stuffing. So, you just had to kind of keep an eye out for everything, and as soon as I saw it, I was like, "Wait a minute. What is that?" So, I read it and we handed over all our money. Yeah, I think it was fair.

Reality TV World: How were you cast on The Amazing Race and was it your first time applying for the show?

Kaylani Paliotta: It was our first time applying for the show. We had gotten a call. My best friend [Rachel Reilly] from Big Brother wanted to run the Race with me, and she had nominated me.

We were going to run it together and then I found out I had to pick a different partner and I asked Lisa if she would run it with me. Lisa was like, "Heck yeah! I'll run the Race with you!" So, I'm glad we got to run it together. It was a fun experience.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:08:50 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
Sad elimination... :'(
Beside their bad start (opening task & Passport affair), they did a pretty nice race. They were the first team from the second flight to reach the pitstop (and this with the Hazard!) in leg 1, and probably had bad luck with their taxi (like A/J & R/B?) in leg 2 but read all the clues, pushing them to 3rd.
Really liked them.  :kuss:

Okay, I thought the twins had the first 3 team elimination look until I saw these girls.

How about a bold prediction that they will be one of the first 3 teams eliminated. :lol:

Sigh.

I wished I didn't say that.

Me too I wished I never thought of that...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
HitFix Interview: Kaylani & Lisa talk 'The Amazing Race'
The Vegas Girls talk Twitter, clue-reading and their brief 'Race' run

By Daniel Fienberg Wednesday, Oct 12, 2011 4:38 PM

For a team that only competed on "The Amazing Race" for only three episodes, Kaylani Paliotta and Lisa Tilley had a memorable journey.

The Las Vegas-based former showgirls finished near the back of the pack in the season's first leg, but they got a disproportionate amount of premiere-night screentime after Kaylani dropped her passport at a gas station and had to rely on the kindness of Twitter-wielding strangers to retrieve the key document.

The following week, as team after team failed to notice a key clue at an Indonesia orphanage, Kaylani & Lisa were one of only three pairs with the eye-for-detail necessary to complete the task properly.

Of course, that advantage lasted only as far as this past Sunday's (October 9) episode, when a difficult Roadblock sent Kaylani & Lisa to an emotional elimination, with a crying Kaylani earning host Phil Keoghan's reassurance that she hadn't disappointed her young daughter back home.

In our exit interview, Kaylani & Lisa discussed their standout "Amazing Race" moments...

HitFix: So I watched the end of Sunday's episode a couple times and there were the three teams who looked like they were all in the running to be in last, but it was hard to tell what the deciding factor for the leg was. Could you guys give your impression of how it happened that you guys got to the Pit Stop in last?

Lisa Tilley: Well, I just... You know... That last Buddha Temple challenge.  We went in there in third place and I just couldn't figure it out in time. And what I was missing, Marcus had and what Marcus couldn't do, I could do. So once we finally did team up, it was very shortly after that that we got it, but unfortunately Kaylani and I didn't pay our cab and they did, so it was really a foot-race between us and the Twins, but right when we were leaving the Temple to go play our cab, we saw the Twins walking back in, so we kinda knew at that point that we were last.

HitFix: So it looked like it was really close, but maybe it wasn't quite that close?

Lisa: Well, we showed up at the Pit Stop like 10 minutes after the Twins, but we still knew that they had a good head start on us, at least 100 feet and you could only walk, you couldn't run.

HitFix: That was so very different from the end of the last leg, where eight of 11 teams missed or misread the clue at the Indonesia orphanage and you guys actually did. Could you talk through how you spotted that clue and knew to do the right thing and maybe what you made of all of the people who weren't as successful?

Kaylani Paliotta: I'm going to say that had Lisa not seen that... We had gotten the pendant from the orphanage and it just had this red seal on it and it was a gold pendant. It didn't tell us where where we had to go for the Pit Stop. And Lisa looked at it and she goes, "Where's the clue?" and I'm like "That is the clue" and she's like, "No. There's gotta be a clue." We had already turned in our 30,000 rupiah that we raised dancing in the street and she stopped and looked back at the sign and just read it. Going into the show, they tell you, "Always pay attention to detail" and "Are you detail-oriented?" and everybody always says "Yes," but she was one of the few people who did see that.

Lisa: And it made a huge difference. We would have been 10th. They told us first that we were in 10th place. And we were like, "You've gotta be kidding."

Kaylani: Yeah, we were about to cry at that point.

Lisa: And then we found out what was going on. There was a lot of confusion at first, but then we figured it out.

HitFix: What was it like watching last week's episode and getting to see the way you guys succeeded on that task that caused so much trouble for so many teams? Was it gratifying to watch, Lisa?

Lisa: Very gratifying. I was happy, because we didn't a lot of what actually went on and there were actually three teams that left the hotel that we had to sleep for five hours at, that you don't even see on the show, but we were one of the three teams that left last, so we were kinda in last place leaving anyway. We knew that when we were spelunking. We knew we were second-to-last to leave. Ron & Bill were the only team still left spelunking when we left, so we knew we had to hurry and hustle, so that attention to detail really saved us, that we didn't have to go back.

HitFix: You guys had several big moments you got to relive when the show aired. What was it like watching the Passport Incident?

Kaylani: At the time, when I had lost the passport, every emotion had gone through me, because I'm not just letting myself down, but I also have another person depending on me and I'm letting her down too. So it's not like ruining one person's hopes, it's ruining things for two people. Even if we just hoped to be able to run one leg of the Race, we weren't even going to get that opportunity at that point in time. So it was this sadness. And the disappointment that I felt letting somebody else down and being responsible for ruining something for somebody else was devastating and then to get the passport, it was exciting. And watching it, knowing that was all going to happen, I think it was more like, "I wonder how much of it they're going to show?" We don't even know what they're going to air at that point.

Lisa: We knew that we were going to get it back, so watching it again, I was just excited. I just told all of my friends, "You have to watch the first episode. It's crazy."

HitFix: When you watched it back, what did you think of your reaction to the lost passport, Lisa?

Kaylani: I was like, "Oh, they played it actually really nice." I was so upset. Looking for that passport, I think I probably threw like a million f-bombs.

Kaylani: LISA: For me, personally, I wasn't mad at Kaylani. I was never mad at her, because I knew she didn't lose the passport on purpose, but I was still disappointed with the situation and not happy about it, obviously. Part of the problem is that when I'm stressing, I keep things to myself, so maybe could have expressed that a little bit better and been like, "Listen, I'm not mad at you. I'm just disappointed... blah blah blah." But I didn't. She just thought I wasn't communicating with her, when really I was just stressed out.

HitFix: And how has the whole incident made you guys view Twitter going forward?

Kaylani: Oh my gosh, it's a miracle! Who would have thought that Twitter and social media were actually going to save a Race like that? I would have been the last place I would have figured that would be a helpful utility.

HitFix: Were there any key parts of that passport/Twitter drama that we didn't get to see?

Kaylani: We actually were roaming around looking for this thing for four or maybe even five hours. It was like five minutes after we got onto the freeway that I realized that I didn't have the passport and I said to Lisa, "I don't have my passport" and we had all this time. We went back to the car and we tore apart the car.

Lisa: They showed that.

Kaylani: No, but when we drove back from the airport. And we searched back through the car a second and third time. They didn't show us looking online. We went online, where you put a dollar in this little Internet station, to look for how to get an emergency passport. And they didn't show that we went to a guy at Customs to find out, "Hey, is there any way to get an emergency passport right away?" And I guess Phil Keoghan was on his way to the airport to eliminate us and we were just looking for any signs of hope that somebody had the passport and was going to get back to us.

HitFix: We've dwelt on the tension and the high drama things. Could each of you give me a favorite moment on the Race, just a piece of this adventure, that we didn't get to see?

Kaylani: Your adrenaline's going the whole time. The fact that you're even on the Race, that's the part that people don't realize, you're just amazed that you're getting to run even one leg of this Race. And that was a reward in itself. I know that a lot of people really look forward to getting on this show and just to be part of as much as we did was a blessing.

Lisa: You know what I really liked? There was an eight-hour train ride that we got to take from Jakarta to Yogyakarta and what they don't show is all of us just interacting together. Getting to know all of the other Racers was a really fun part of the Race, just getting to talk with them and strategizing. When we were on the train and we were calling ahead and trying to get taxi cabs, those kinds of things were a lot of fun and you don't see that on the show. And we all got along well.

HitFix: No favorite fellow Racers?

Lisa: All of them!

Kaylani: I don't think there was one team that we like more or less.

Lisa: We still keep in touch with them. We all exchanged emails and everybody, we sent out mass emails. Everybody got along really well, so even in the end when we all saw each other again, it was really nice.

HitFix: Kaylani, a lot was made in Sunday's episode about your daughter. Has she been watching this season?

Kaylani: Yes. She's watched ever episode and she says every day, "Oh, Mommy, I want to be on 'The Amazing Race.'" Last night was hard for her. She was quite the mess when she saw Mommy crying, but she did say, "Mommy, you thought about me while you were on the Race." So at least she knows that she's always in my heart, no matter where I'm at.

HitFix: How did you explain to her why you were crying?

Kaylani: I told her, "Well, Mommy was crying because she wanted to be able to go further and maybe have a better start in life for Mommy and for you and we're just going to have to keep on trying and keep on going."

HitFix: In the first episode, you guys talked about how people were likely to have certain expectations based on how you look and where you're from and you wanted to prove those expectations wrong. Do you think you did what you set out to do?

Kaylani: Yeah, I think we did. Even I've done this before, sitting at home watching previous seasons, and you're like "Oh, I could do that" or "What's wrong with them?" and you pass all the judgments you want to, but once you get into that situation, honestly, you're challenged and pushed to your limit, 24-7 -- emotionally, physically, mentally -- in every way that you possibly can be. So it's not a matter of being the smartest or being the most athletic, but sometimes it just boils down to luck.

Lisa: Oh, definitely. Even Jennifer made a comment, she told us later she had made a comment about how much makeup we were wearing and how we looked better without it, because she had seen us without makeup. But people always are going to make judgements when they first see you, I think that how we came back from the passport loss, people made comments that we had done a good job bouncing back from that and we were first from our plane to make it to the Pit Stop, since there were three teams on that second plane.  So we did the best that we could given what we had and I think we did pretty well. We did pretty well in the Race, right up until we got to the Buddha Temple.

Previous "Amazing Race" exit interviews...
Ron & Bill
Ethan & Jenna

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print/posts/hitfix-interview-kaylani-lisa-talk-the-amazing-race
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »

ETA:

I post interview links before I go through the actual interviews.  I now realize that it's more trouble than it's worth. 

Anyone who wants to read future exit interviews can find them at these sites:
http://www.tvguide.com
http://www.people.com
http://www.realitynewsonline.com
http://www.realitywanted.com
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/reality-tv-blog.aspx
http://www.thedeadbolt.com
http://www.digitalspy.com
http://www.realitytvworld.com
http://shows.ctv.ca

I hugely appreciate your efforts!! These exit interviews add so much to our understanding of the behind the scenes moments we don't always get to see. I LOVE reading what the racers say, and love that we have the articles themselves here for posterity.

You are doing a fabulous job with these and I do hope you will continue? :tu for all you do!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
Lisa: Very gratifying. I was happy, because we didn't a lot of what actually went on and there were actually three teams that left the hotel that we had to sleep for five hours at, that you don't even see on the show, but we were one of the three teams that left last,

Was that what delayed Ethan and Jenna to reach the RB 8th?

And they're such a sweet team!!! :hrt:

Offline Saravannan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
"Kaylani: Yes. She's watched ever episode and she says every day, "Oh, Mommy, I want to be on 'The Amazing Race.'" Last night was hard for her. She was quite the mess when she saw Mommy crying, but she did say, "Mommy, you thought about me while you were on the Race." So at least she knows that she's always in my heart, no matter where I'm at."

Awwwwww. :(

This was the only time the Amazing Race nearly made me cry. The first episode made me think of them as a "meh" team, not super exciting and probably gone soon. I'm definitely regretting that. Based on what I've heard, they would have been a team I would have rooted for all the way to the final leg.