Author Topic: TAR 19: Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca (Dating)  (Read 70775 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 19: Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca (Dating)
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
Jenna had some interesting thoughts about the passport thing:

What did everyone think of Kaylani "losing" her passport then getting it so nicely "returned"

and

;) agreed @Hutches3 @JennaMorasca it didn't take long for that team to splinter. Pretty "lucky" they got it back
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
They seemed to be the type of team who will get eliminated by one simple mistake.. one bad move or whatsoever.

:lol: :lol:

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
They seemed to be the type of team who will get eliminated by one simple mistake.. one bad move or whatsoever.

:lol: :lol:

:lol3: but I felt bad for this double elimination.
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »
They could have made it to the next leg if they didn't make that mistake!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
Amazing Race's Ethan and Jenna: We Prefer Survivor
Oct 3, 2011 02:48 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

Ethan and JennaFormer Survivor champs Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca came up very short on The Amazing Race 19, becoming one of the first two teams to get the boot in the show's first double elimination. The axing, ironically, came on a leg that involved charity. "I think if you had to find one good thing that happened is that it was all right that we left giving money to charity," Zohn, who co-founded the nonprofit Grassroot Soccer that promotes HIV/AIDS education, tells TVGuide.com. The rest of the Indonesian leg proved to be a nightmare for the couple, who was hampered by a bad cabbie and the stealth clue at the orphanage after the Detour. Do they think the twist was fair? See what they say:

You were in eighth place most of the leg, which is enough to get by. Where did it all go wrong? When you left the clue at the Detour? At the orphanage?
Jenna: Funny enough as it is, our cab driver got us very, very, very lost about every time we were in the cab. We wasted at least an hour and a half driving in the cab. We had to have the same driver the whole day, so we were really screwed. ... That was our No. 1 reservation going into the race — going out because of something out of our control, and that's exactly what happened. ... [We couldn't change cabs] because there weren't any in the street. I don't know if it works differently there, like you have to call for them, but it wasn't like New York City. ... And the clue — it was just with a pile of clothes. It was literally one minute away from the cab. It didn't affect [the outcome] at all.

What did you think of the extra clue at the orphanage?
Jenna: It was interesting to have a clue say one thing and the sign say another. On our clue, it said to turn in all the money you raised for the orphanage. I assumed that meant all of our foreign money, so we turned in all of our foreign money, even the money we hadn't raised. We just kept our very few U.S. dollars, which was like $20. We didn't know on the race that they would give you a clue if you did something wrong. [Laughs] But if they're giving away clues when you do stuff wrong, it's hard to figure out if you do something wrong or right.
Ethan: [I think it was for] drama. I guess it was to confuse us. I mean, when eight out of 11 teams get a clue wrong, it's tricky. Usually in any other situation, when you do a challenge correctly, you get a clue.

So you didn't get any extra clue after handing in the rest of your money?
Ethan: No. We basically ran back to the orphanage, gave them the rest and ran all the way back [to the Pit Stop]. ... It was probably a mile and a half.

The extra clue wasn't in Race colors. Do you think that's why so many of you didn't notice it?
Ethan: Yeah, it was just on a white piece of paper in a frame. You run in there, all the orphans are singing and they're cheering for you, and you're in such a rush that you're basing your decision on the clue that you're given, so we turned in all our converted money, got a clue and ran to the mat.
Jenna: Yeah, and just so everyone knows, it wasn't underlined and it wasn't outlined in red. I know that people saw that on TV, but that's not how we saw it.

Fall Preview: Get scoop on all your favorite returning shows

You got to the Pit Stop the first time in ninth place. Did you know where you were at that point?
Ethan: We were actually in eighth. They showed the Vegas showgirls checking in before us, which was not accurate.
Jenna: Yeah, and we didn't really know where we were, but we saw Ernie and Cindy, and the twins running back. Ethan was like, "We must've done something wrong." But we didn't [talk to them] because you're in such a hurry that you don't even have time to breathe, so you just run as fast as you can. And we were making up a huge time deficit because of our cab, so we probably made up 20 minutes of the hour and 30 minutes we were behind because of the cab. ... By running full speed, we were probably a couple minutes behind [Amani and Marcus] in the end.

Do you think the twist was fair?
Jenna: I don't think it's fair to have two different clues. I don't know. I mean, I don't want to sound like sour grapes, so, yeah, it was fair. [Laughs] The fans can decide for themselves.
Ethan: To be given a clue and then a separate clue when you get there is interesting.

You wanted to hide that you were on Survivor because you felt that would make you a big target, but did you really think teams wouldn't recognize you?
Jenna: No, we figured they would recognize us and we figured if they did, we would just downplay it and make it not such a big deal and say it was a long time ago. ... We talked to everybody about it. When we stayed overnight at China Airways, we slept next to the twins and Marcus and Amani, and we pretty much talked the whole night.
Ethan: When no one was allowed to talk to each other and no one knew each other before the race started, obviously, we're thinking people are eyeing you down and everyone's looking each other over. But once the race started and we met everyone, we didn't think we had as big of a target.

Meet the Amazing Race 19 cast

How badly did you want to win the Race after having won Survivor? 
Jenna: I think we just wanted to go in and do the best that we could and have a good time after the past few years [with Ethan's cancer battle], try not to yell at each other too badly on camera, which I don't think we did. And that's the best we could do. It's a totally different game and there's a lot of stuff out of your control on the race. I prefer to play reality shows where I have more control over things. [Laughs]

So you prefer Survivor over The Amazing Race?
Jenna: Yeah!
Ethan: [Laughs] Me too. I mean, I've always said being lost in a foreign country when you're tired and hungry and broke and can't speak the language is my worst fear in life. And that's exactly what the race is. There's just so much out of your control. That's one of the biggest risks of playing a game like this. It's funny that's kind of what ending up getting us out of the race.

Jenna, do you really have Medusa eyes?
Jenna: [Laughs] Yeah, I do. I was wearing my colored contacts too, but yeah, I do have Medusa eyes. I like that. I'm actually going to print that on a T-shirt. Thanks, Ernie!

What are you up to now?
Jenna: We're doing this show called Everyday Health on ABC. The show is going really well. We're getting such great feedback about it. We'll be filming that for the next couple of weeks and that will run until February. We're working on a book, we're working on our own reality show. We signed this cool sponsorship deal that we'll be telling everybody about in the next week or so, which we're super excited about. So things are going really well.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Ethan-Jenna-1038366.aspx
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
Ethan Zohn of 'Survivor' fame keeps busy with 'Amazing Race,' 'Everyday Health,' 'Grassroots Soccer'

BY Richard Huff
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Monday, October 3rd 2011, 4:00 AM

Two years ago, "Survivor" winner Ethan Zohn was facing a life-threatening diagnosis - a rare form of cancer.

He survived and turned the experience into a multipart project for helping others. Now, Zohn and his girlfriend, fellow "Survivor" winner Jenna Morasca, have a dizzying number of things going on. All are grounded in showing others who are in peril that they're not alone.

"It's really about learning how to live this new life," Zohn says. "In terms of resiliency, the ability to bounce back. If I'm out there helping other people, it helps me focus less on myself."

Consider this schedule: Zohn and Morasca are now on CBS' "The Amazing Race"; they host "Everyday Health," a weekly series airing locally on WABC/Ch. 7 Saturdays at noon; he runs a Grassroots Soccer charity; he's written kids books, and he's leading a team in the upcoming New York City Marathon.

All of it, including doing "The Amazing Race," a grueling around-the-world competition, is a "complete F-U to cancer," Zohn says.

"This is a celebration of life. Look where I was last year - attached to a hospital pump. This year I'm traveling the world with the person I love. No matter what happens on 'The Amazing Race,' it proves there's life after cancer."

In 2009, Zohn, a 2002 winner of "Survivor: Africa" was diagnosed with a severe form of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Morasca, winner of "Survivor: The Amazon," suddenly found herself having to care for him.

"When Ethan was diagnosed with cancer, I realized how precious life is. I realized it when my mom died, but this was right in front of my face. I realized how quickly the rug can be pulled from under you, especially when something happens to a loved one."

Initially, Zohn began documenting his illness and went public before the media learned of it.

"When you're diagnosed with cancer, your first thought is, 'S-, I'm going to die.' And I thought people would want footage of me, in this case, if this doesn't turn out so well," he says.

He eventually thought others going through the same thing might benefit from seeing him battle cancer. From there, Zohn and Morasca have used their experience to refocus their careers.

Each episode of "Everyday Health" features people like them who have turned a tragedy into a triumph of sorts. There's also plenty of healthy-living information, too.

"I do want people to see our lives," Morasca says. "We do really live the way we say we do.

"The message we've been trying to sprinkle throughout is: Don't wait until something happens to you, until it hits you," she adds. "I admit it, you take it for granted. I wasn't necessarily concious about as I am now."

Their most recent challenge, "Amazing Race," is harder than it looks, Morasca says.

Most aspects of the show are things Zohn hates - being lost, being late, being tired.

"You're not going to get a bigger challenge to a relationship than you are going to get on 'Amazing Race,'" Morasca says.

Would she do it again?

"I would do it again - but with a different partner," she says.

"I'll confirm that," says Zohn, laughing. "It has a different dynamic when you're with the person you're in a relationship with. There's a lot more at stake, with a girlfriend, boyfriend, wife."

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:34 PM »
'The Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Ethan and Jenna

Ex-'Survivor' winners Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca are the first team eliminated
Posted by MSN TV Monday, October 03, 2011 10:31:26 AM

By Diane Vadino
Special to MSN TV

Ex-"Survivor" winners Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca were the first team eliminated from this season of "The Amazing Race." This is despite the fact that they actually came in next-to-last -- in front of fellow eliminees Ron and Bill.

We spoke to the dating couple and CBS reality TV veterans about the differences between the sweet-natured "Race" and "cut-throat" (says Jenna) "Survivor" -- and how they actually lost Sunday night, because we watched it, and we had no idea until they filled us in.

MSN TV: What happened last night?

Jenna: We just had the world's worst taxi driver.

From the train station in Jakarta to the rappelling Roadblock?

Jenna: Everywhere! We had to keep the same taxi driver the whole time -- from the train station to the place we were rappelling to the orphanage -- and he just had no idea where he was going. We kept pulling over to get directions -- he would get the directions in his language, and then he would still have no idea where he was going.

How soon did you know the driver was going to be a problem?

Jenna: The minute we got in. It was like he was from a different planet.

And you couldn't change drivers?

Ethan: There just weren't any opportunities to. When we were rappelling, we were in the middle of nowhere. We pulled over and had people write the directions down for him, but nothing worked. I may have even raised my voice. The problem was that he kept saying he knew where everything was -- but he didn't.

There seemed to be some sort of effort on the show's part to make it look like the problem was when you dropped the clue, but that didn't seem to take very long.

Jenna: That took like two minutes. We didn't have it, we went back, we found it. It was literally about a minute.

Things might have been different if you'd read that clue about handing over all your money correctly.

Jenna: Well, we gave more than our tips -- we gave all our converted money.

So in addition to what you made on the street, you had additional money in Indonesian rupiahs that you gave to the orphanage?

Ethan: Exactly. You just change money over when you go through the airport. We only kept a few dollars that we hadn't converted. And on the show, the clue is, like, underlined and highlighted -- it wasn't like that there.

Did any of the other teams make that mistake?

Jenna: I don't think so. We just didn't think on "The Amazing Race" that you'd get the next clue if you'd done something wrong.

It seems like a really hard way to leave the show.

Jenna: I prefer "Survivor."

Why?

Jenna: I just really prefer to have more things under my control.

Ethan: I'd probably pick "Survivor" too. Being lost, tired, hungry, in a foreign country where you don't speak the language -- it's like my worst nightmare.

Jenna: People [on "TAR"] aren't as cutthroat as they are on "Survivor." But I like being cutthroat!

Which of you said to the other that you wanted to be on the race?

Ethan: Actually, it was CBS who approached us. They were aware of some of the publicity around my fight with cancer. [Zohn battled non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma last year; it is currently in remission.]

What’s next for you two?
Jenna: We’re working on our show, “Everyday Health” for ABC. Check your local listings. And we’re working on our own reality TV show, and a book, and a big sponsorship we’ll be able to talk about next week.

So it sounds like you’ll have plenty to do, with or without the race.

Jenna: Well, you know, Kim Kardashian got kicked off “Dancing With the Stars” third. And she’s doing fine.

"The Amazing Race" airs Sundays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca talk about 'The Amazing Race'

By Elizabeth Kwiatkowski, 10/03/2011

Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca thought they were in decent shape when they finished the first leg of The Amazing Race's nineteenth season in fourth place.

However, their bad luck left them with a taxi driver who repeatedly got lost and couldn't figure out directions, while their lack of focus caused them to ignore a vital sign featuring instructions -- that if followed -- would have landed them in ninth place, safe from elimination. But due to The Amazing Race franchise's first-ever double-elimination leg, Ethan and Jenna finished in tenth place and were ousted from the competition along with last-place finishers Ron Zeitz and Bill Smith during Sunday night's broadcast of the show's second episode.

During a conference call with reporters on Monday, Ethan and Jenna talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including why Ethan wrote down the name of the children's orphanage on a small piece of paper when the couple had a hard copy of the actual clue, why they decided to perform the "Money Maker" Detour task instead of the "Ticket Taker" task, how frustrated they were to be eliminated when they didn't even arrive at the Race's second Pit Stop in last place, and what the Racers thought about the new Hazard penalty that was introduced during the show's premiere episode. 

Reality TV World: Ethan, could you clarify why you wrote down the orphanage's name on a piece of paper and then put it in your pocket? Did you intend to have that as a backup in case you lost the clue or something and then what do you think happened to it?

Jenna Morasca: I told him to do that, actually. I told him to write it down in case for a chance that the clue might have been misplaced or if we didn't want to reach for it. But the actual clue was never ever lost. It was just across the street. But that was my idea. I'm a plan-aheader. I always want to have like 50 options.

Ethan Zohn: It was easier to show the taxi driver and if we had to pull over on the side of the road, which we had been all day, to kind of ask people, "Where is this?" -- rather than pointing at a small little thing printed. We wrote in down in big Sharpie market -- the name of the orphanage -- so we could hold it up and out of the window, so people could point in the direction we needed to go.

Jenna Morasca: It's confusing to give someone a whole clue and try to point it out when they don't speak the language or understand what you're saying. So, we had written it down just in case, so we could show the driver the name in big block letters.

Reality TV World: So what exactly happened to that piece of paper when you were looking for it in the moment?

Jenna Morasca: That piece of paper was in the bottom of our backpack.

Ethan Zohn: Yeah, that was there.

Jenna Morasca: We just didn't want to dig for it, so we ran back and got the clue.

Ethan Zohn: It was quicker to go across the street and pick up the clue than it was to look for the clue in our backpack.

Reality TV World: How did you guys decide to do the "Money Maker" Detour task instead of the "Ticket Taker" task?

Jenna Morasca: Because we figured it out that the "Ticket Taker" people would all be trying to get the same cars, and meanwhile, when you did the "Money Maker," everybody would have their own block -- their own street corner. Meanwhile, all the ticket takers would be trying to get cars from the same area, which I thought would be a little bit harder to do since there would be multiple teams there.

Ethan Zohn: And Jen's a really good dancer!

Reality TV World: How did you guys decide to have Ethan do the spelunking Roadblock task? Was it predetermined or did you just make the decision in the moment?

Jenna Morasca: Because Ethan's been spelunking before.

Reality TV World: How frustrating was it to know that since you were the ninth team to get to the Pit Stop the first time, you would have still been in the Race if you hadn't missed the sign?

Jenna Morasca: Pretty frustrating!

Ethan Zohn: Yeah. (Laughs) I mean, eight out of 11 teams missed it, but it was frustrating. I mean, we checked in eighth.

Jenna Morasca: In our minds, I don't think it's like -- the sign wouldn't give me nightmares. It's the taxi driver that would give me nightmares, because if it wasn't for him, nobody wonders -- you guys have to wonder, like we started in fourth place and we checked in in eighth. That was before -- we were in eighth when we got to the sign challenge, before we had even messed it up.

So, you guys have to wonder how that happened. And so, it happened because of the cab. So, I blame the cab more than the sign because I don't think that would have been a problem if we had not have been lost the whole time. We could have run and made that up, I think, just like everyone else did.

Reality TV World: What did you think about the Hazard, the new The Amazing Race penalty that forced one team to complete an extra task within the first leg of the Race? Did you like it, dislike it -- what are your thoughts?

Jenna Morasca: It seems like the Hazard is kind of an extra bonus challenge because somebody's going down from it and one got to bungee jump and the other just got to untie a knot. So, I wish we would have gotten the Hazard. I'm jealous!

Ethan Zohn: In previous races, you had to turn in all your clothes and all your money as a bigger punishment for the non-elimination leg than to do a Hazard. But I think they got to keep mixing up this game a little bit. So, it's a clever way. I wish it was like a little more difficult -- the Hazard -- and that it created a little bit more of a panic in them.

Reality TV World: What did you think about the return of the Express Pass twist that got introduced a few seasons ago? Some teams have expressed how they don't like it, so were you glad to see it come back or do you think it devalues the Race or anything like that?

Jenna Morasca: I think it's a good reward for people that have earned it.

Ethan Zohn: I think it's good. You're -- any prize for coming in first is deserved whether it's a trip or money or the Express Pass. If you come in first in the first leg of the Race, I think you deserve some sort of prize. The Express Pass is okay, yeah. It's deserved.

Also in the call, Ethan and Jenna told reporters why they had fallen from fourth to ninth place so quickly, how much time they spent retrieving the clue they realized they had left behind, whether they felt putting instructions solely on a small sign at the orphanage's table was fair gameplay, how far behind Marcus Pollard and Amani Pollard they believed they had finished the leg, and whether they would ever do The Amazing Race or Survivor again.

You guys seemed to clump together when you were getting off the train and heading into taxis. What happened between the station and the Roadblock that split the teams up so much?

Jenna Morasca: We had a really bad taxi driver, so that's what split the teams up. There was also a challenge that you guys didn't see that actually split the teams up into two groups.

Can you elaborate more on what that challenge entailed?

Jenna Morasca: Out of the train station, we were told to go to this hotel and we had to jump in the cabs and the cabs took us to a hotel. When you got there, you had to grab a key and you were either in the first group or the second group and they were like 20 minutes apart. That's when everyone got their taxi driver that you had to keep the entire leg and that's when, unfortunately, we got into the wrong cab.

Did accidentally leaving the clue behind really affect your timing in the leg? Did it make a huge difference?

Jenna Morasca: I actually -- we wrote down what was on the clue and put it in the bottom of our bag before we went to that challenge. I left the challenge, or the clue, with our clothes and halfway on the way back I was like, "It had to have been there."

We didn't think it was a big deal because we already had it written down -- which is why I was asking Ethan where he put the piece of paper. It was in the bottom of our bag, so we went back and got it, and it probably took like a minute or a minute and a half total.

Ethan Zohn: It was like going to the mailbox.

Jenna Morasca: It was the shortest trip ever.

So that probably didn't have an affect on your Race?

Jenna Morasca: No, it didn't have an affect at all.

Ethan Zohn: Not as big of an effect as...

Jenna Morasca: The reason we went from fourth place to -- we checked in first in eighth or ninth is because of our taxi driver.

When you went to the orphanage, did you realize there was a sign on the table at all?

Jenna Morasca: Yeah. Basically in our clue -- and we're always told we have these clues and the information that we're supposed to go by in our clue -- we were told to turn in all our rupiah...

Ethan Zohn: From the dancing challenge.

Jenna Morasca: ... from the dancing challenge and when we got to the challenge, it wasn't underlined or marked in red like you guys saw, and it also wasn't marked with any Race flags. So, it was just like any other sign. I mean, if someone was holding a sign that said that, was that a challenge? So, I figured it said, "Turn in all your money that you raised and any additional money."

So we actually turned in all of our additional rupiah because on the clue, and I checked the clue, it didn't say anything about your converted money. Everything that it said was only about rupiah. So we only had like 20 dollars that we didn't convert.

Ethan Zohn: U.S. dollars.

Jenna Morasca: U.S. dollars. So we did turn in all our additional rupiah and we figured if we had gotten it wrong, we wouldn't have gotten a clue like on all the other Race challenges. It's like if you said the wrong words to the monk [during the Roadblock at the Taipei Confucius Temple], he wouldn't have given you the clue.

If you don't do a challenge right, you don't get the clue. So, I figured that probably other people missed that, but we wouldn't have gotten the clue if we would have gotten that challenge wrong.

So once you had given the children all your money, you weren't given anything further right? You didn't receive a different clue or something?

Jenna Morasca: No, we did not.

Ethan Zohn: Yeah. Even if you gave them like no dollars -- gave them one penny off the floor -- you would have gotten your clue, which doesn't make sense.

Jenna Morasca: We checked with the secondary clue and it says nothing about extra American money. So, we figured since we were in Indonesia, we'd give them our rupiah and we did. We gave them all of our additional money.

We just figured, "Well, they gave us the clue, so they must have been okay." And we came in ninth. We checked in before the Vegas girls [Kaylani Paliotta and Lisa Tilley]. We were safe at that point had we be allowed to check in.

How do you feel about the whole leg coming down to the confusing sign? Did you think that was fair?

Jenna Morasca: I don't know. I guess if we say it's unfair, we're going to sound like we're bitter. But I've just never heard about doing a challenge where they give you the reward if you do it right or wrong. And the teams that got it wrong, like they're not stupid teams. These are really good teams.

Ethan Zohn: Eight out of 11 teams got the clue wrong, not that that means anything, but it was obviously very tricky. I think it was meant to trick you.

Jenna Morasca: Yes, you can tell by the way [The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan] was asking people. He was expecting them to get it wrong.

Did you think you actually had any chance of catching Marcus and Amani once you realized your mistake?

Jenna Morasca: Oh yeah. We were on their heels.

How far behind Amani and Marcus did you finish?

Ethan Zohn: Maybe five or seven minutes.

Jenna Morasca: Yeah, we ran the entire time in Indonesia because we were always at such a disadvantage because our cab driver was so lost. We were always behind. Nobody else wondered why we went from fourth place to ninth place, you know?

Like, the missing clue only took one minute, so there has to be a reason why went from there. That's the truth, so we literally ran -- every challenge we ran everywhere -- full speed, backpacks on, 110-degree weather. We were running from start to finish no matter what place we were in.

Ethan Zohn: We actually made up a significant amount of time by running from when the task got screwed up multiple times.

Jenna Morasca: We hauled ass.

Ethan Zohn: We actually thought we were going to catch Amani.

Jenna Morasca: We did.

But you obviously couldn't make up for the taxi, right?

Jenna Morasca: Yeah, the guy was even given directions in his own language four or five times and would still go the wrong way.

Ethan Zohn: We stopped like a million times.

Jenna Morasca: I didn't understand that. The guy is sitting there giving you directions in your own language to the right place, and you're still taking these weird turns.

From what you watched back on TV, did anything surprise you and was this experience more difficult than your time on Survivor?

Ethan Zohn: Different!

Jenna Morasca: Different!

Ethan Zohn: I guess if you had to compare the two, with things like being uncomfortable, not showering, not eating, not sleeping -- that's the same stuff that happens on Survivor that happens on the Race.

But there's so much less out of your control on the Race. With Survivor, I feel like you have some sense of control. It's really just how Jenna and I work as a team, and we're doing great. We thought we were doing great working together.

How has being on the Race together affected your relationship? Did it make you closer?

Jenna Morasca: I don't know if we can necessarily say that because one, we weren't on very long, and two, we've been through so much anyway. So you have to think in like the scheme of fighting for your life, the Race can't really compare to that.

Did you feel any jealousy from fellow Racers since you both had already won a lot of money on your Survivor seasons?

Jenna Morasca: Not to our face. They actually had a lot of questions after like, "What did you do? Did you move to LA? Did you get an agent?" Everybody has a lot of questions about it, so to our face, no. Nobody seemed to think it was a big deal, but why would they to us? That's all good stuff to talk about behind someone's back, for sure.

How did you come onto the show thinking you would approach your fellow Racers about your Survivor history?

Ethan Zohn: Initially, we thought it was going to play out and be a big deal and we're like, "We're not going to tell anyone" and stuff like that. But when we showed up there, we didn't bring it up. We didn't brag about it. We waited for other teams to bring it up and when they did, we were completely open and honest about it.

If they had questions, we'd answer them. We weren't trying to shy away from the fact. But I thought it would be a bigger deal, but it didn't seem like it was. Bottom line is, once you're out there, everyone's pretty much the same. You're all just racing around the world.

You've been through a lot together, but did you make any plans of how you were going to interact with each other on the Race?

Jenna Morasca: The only thing my Dad said before we left for the Race was, "Please don't fight with each other on TV." That's the only thing he said to make sure we didn't do.

Ethan Zohn: We just waited until the cameras were off and then we just yelled at each other. No, I'm just kidding. We only talked to each other when the cameras were on. But no, we have been through so much, so there was really nothing I was afraid of, really.

Jenna Morasca: Yeah, we've been through those stages of our best and worst, so.

Ethan Zohn: We travel well together, we've been together for a long time and I think we compliment each other. This was just a great opportunity when CBS approached us to do the Race.

We were like, "Yeah, why not? It's such an awesome opportunity. It kind of celebrates what we've been through now that we're able to go out there and be with each other and travel the world together." CBS is, because of Survivor, we're big fans of CBS and we pretty much support everything they do. I think it was a really great opportunity for us.

Jenna Morasca: Unfortunately since we weren't on long enough, you won't be able to see how awesome we are together on TV.

Ethan Zohn: That's why you have to tune into our new show, which is called Everyday Health, which is on ABC every Saturday morning.

Jenna Morasca: Or Sunday depending on your local listings.

Ethan Zohn: It's basically Jen and I traveling across the country road trip style and we get to meet the most extraordinary, ordinary people who have faced a crisis in their life and now they're using that crisis to help others.

So, Jen and I kind of swoop in and we meet them and their friends and their family, and then we help them plan some great big pay-it-forward moment. So it kind of represents everything that we are as people.

Jenna Morasca: It's going to be on until February.

Would you do The Amazing Race again if they asked you to?

Jenna Morasca: No.

Ethan Zohn: No, I don't think so.

Jenna Morasca: I'd do Survivor again.

Ethan Zohn: There was too much left out of our control on the Race.

Could you talk about something else viewers didn't get to see?

Ethan Zohn: Obviously a lot is cut out and what you don't see is that we were at the China Airlines counter -- I think three teams got their tickets before, I think it was 11PM, and the rest of us got there after. So we just had to wait at the ticket counter until...

Jenna Morasca: We all got on the flight. It was fine. So we all basically slept in the airport and we were playing hacky-sack and playing in these roller chairs and playing cards. Yeah, (laughs) that's the stuff you don't see -- everyone just having fun and they forgot about the Race for just a little bit.

It was probably still in the back of their minds but it was those kind of fun moments that unfortunately, you don't get to see on the Race.

How long did the Confucius Roadblock task actually take everyone?

Ethan Zohn: Oh, God. For some people, that took forever. It was on a crappy old payphone. It was all crackly, there was traffic going by, so you're like kneeling down blocking one ear. What they didn't show you was that Confucius wasn't just right there. You had to walk at least, I'd say, 75-100 yards to get to them.

So in the meantime, you're just going over and over it in your head in your head and trying to remember it, and then when you get there, you're like, "Oh, no. You forgot one word."

I think where everyone stumbled, and where I stumbled, is the guy who was saying it on the phone -- Confucius -- his accent was so strong that you couldn't hear him say the difference between "preparation" and "preparations." It was just the plural and that's where, I think, a lot of people went wrong, including myself.

So, overall, how much of that Roadblock task was edited down? How long did that really take?

Ethan Zohn: It probably took me what? An hour, maybe. Hour. I went back at least...

Jenna Morasca: No, it did not take you an hour.

Ethan Zohn: No?

Jenna Morasca: You only went up there like three times or four times. It did not take you an hour.

Ethan Zohn: We did pass like four teams, but no it took awhile. I was out there, I mean truthfully, it was probably 11 or 12 times. You could only listen to the phone once and then you had to go to the back of the line, so you'd listen to it, you'd run to Confucius, and then you'd go to the back of the line.

If there were four or five people in front of you, you'd have to wait for them to get done with the phone call before you could get back on the line.

You weren't allowed to write the phrase down right?

Ethan Zohn: You couldn't write it down, and not only that, you needed a phone card. So all they said was, "Here's a payphone. Go make a call." And everyone's picking it up trying to figure out, "How do I make a call?"

There's no change. I have no money, and then you had to -- Everyone was like, "Oh, you need a phone card!" So I sprinted to the nearest convenient store, bought a phone card, came back, and then if the phone card ran out, you had to get another phone card. So, it was a whole disaster.

What did you guys think about the events that unfolded after Kaylani lost her passport?

Jenna Morasca: I think that I want her to get me the lottery numbers this week. (Laughs)

Ethan Zohn: She got so lucky. I don't know how that happened.

Were you guys aware of what was going on in that Kaylani and Lisa were going to be eliminated at the airport?

Jenna Morasca: I would think so. If you lose your passport, you can't go anywhere. They should play the craps table more.

If you guys had hung in longer, who do you think your biggest competition would have been?

Jenna Morasca: Who knows, I mean, [Bill Alden and Cathi Alden] are still in the Race, so who knows.

Ethan Zohn: Yeah, they showed in the first leg of the Race that it was lucky that it was a non-elimination leg.

Jenna Morasca: We could have walked when Phil said, "The world is waiting for you" until we got off the train at the train station. We could have just strolled through the rest of the leg.

Ethan Zohn: Bill and Cathi were seven-and-a-half hours behind and everyone else...

Jenna Morasca: Congratulations. You're seven-and-a-half hours behind and you're still allowed to be in the Race.

Ethan Zohn: I always thought that a non-elimination leg was almost like a reward for making it so far and you guys are struggling and you're tired. It's like, "Alright, you deserve a break and you just got lucky." But the first leg, no one's done anything. It was just surprising that there's a non-elimination leg in the first leg, and then the second leg of the Race was a double elimination. So that was a surprise as well.

Which teams would you say were very strong?

Jenna Morasca: I like the snowboarders [Andy Finch and Tommy Czeschin] and what I liked about the snowboarders were that they give off this vibe like they're just chill and don't care, but I was like, "This is bullsh-t. These guys are totally in it to win it."

Ethan Zohn: They are Olympic athletes.

Jenna Morasca: They got the right attitude. They're having a good time but they're not over-stressing. Ethan and I really like them, so whenever we were in the Race, we sat and talked to them and hung out with them quite a bit.

Do you two see a wedding in your near future?

Jenna Morasca: Maybe.

Ethan Zohn: With the snowboarders?

Jenna Morasca: Eventually.

Would you ever do Survivor again?

Jenna Morasca: Yes. 100% percent.

Ethan Zohn: Yeah, I don't think so. Maybe I'd come on a family visit.

Jenna Morasca: The only thing he wants to do competitive-wise now is Dancing with the Stars.

Ethan Zohn: I just really love sequins! (Laughs)

Jenna Morasca: (Laughs)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
Jenna wil be hosting the Pole Fitness Championships in NYC Oct 14th, and is currently appearing on the Pole Spin Magazine Cover.

Jenna Morasca is currently part of the cast of the new season of The Amazing Race which started on September 25, 2011 on CBS network. Jenna, always in demand, is also involved in another new reality show where she is sharing the camera as host with the legendary Mohammed Ali’s daughter, Laila Ali and boyfriend, also a Survivor winner, Ethan Zohn on Everyday Health on ABC.

Morasca became the youngest contestant to ever win the CBS reality show and went on to play in the 2004 Survivor All-Stars challenge. After three episodes Jenna made a very tough decision to depart the show, regretting leaving her mother who had been in a battle with cancer for 12 years. She withdrew from Survivor All-Stars to go home and be with her mom who passed away eight days later. Commemorating the American Pole Fitness Championships platinum sponsor Pole Spin Magazine‘s one year anniversary, The publication dedicated it’s anniversary issue to raising charity awareness through a charity initiative drive, Pole For A Cause™. A portion of the net proceeds from sales of the special anniversary issue at the American Pole Fitness Championships in New York, has been earmarked for various charity donations, such as breast cancer, HIV victims, e.t.c. Full details to be posted on www.PoleForACause.com. Jenna’s mother was a victim of Breast Cancer while she was still filming on the Survivor  hit TV show. Jenna’s amazing journey and philanthropy missions are chronicled in the magazine’s October-December 2011 print issue, set to hit to hit the newsstands and bookstores October 4, 2011. Copies can also be acquired to be shipped out worldwide from Pole Spin‘s website.

Read more here:
http://www.americanpolefitness.com/2011/10/jenna/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:49:29 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
In Elizabeth Kwiatkowski's article she stated that Ethan and Jenna "compliment" each other. I'm sure that's true, but she undoubtedly meant "complement" each other.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:12:57 PM by apskip »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
Team 5: Ethan and Jenna (Dating) 

Ethan Zohn

Hometown: New York, N.Y.

Connection to your teammate: Dating 

Current occupation: Change maker

Describe what you do: I travel the world inspiring people to take action and make a difference. I’m also a co-founder of the charity Grassroot Soccer, TV host, children’s book author, soccer coach and inventor.

How will these skills help you win The Race? I have the ability to see the “good” in every situation.

Three words to describe you: “Survivor,” creative and athletic.

Favorite hobbies: Inventing new products, photography and jumping rope.

What famous person reminds you of yourself? Patrick Dempsey in “Can’t Buy Me Love.”

What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Cookie Monster

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Crushing cancer!

What scares you most about traveling? Bumping into my doppelganger. 

What excites you most about traveling? Finding a hidden spot, off the beaten path, hanging out with locals and playing in a pick-up soccer game.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: ESP and mental telepathy.

Pet peeve about your teammate: She thinks that animals are real people and can understand what she is saying… I also kind of love it.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Peru. I want to climb Machu Picchu.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other then winning one million bucks)? An amazing adventure and proving that there is life after cancer.

Jenna Morasca

Hometown: New York, N.Y.

Connection to your teammate: Dating

Current occupation: TV host/student

Describe what you do: I’m a television host on a new show, “Everyday Health.” I’m also getting a masters degree in psychology at Columbia.

How will these skills help you win The Race? I’m a previous “Survivor” winner and a graduate student in psychology. Both can help.

Three words to describe you: Hilarious, outgoing and honest.

Favorite hobbies: Horseback riding, reading, snorkeling, eating candy, playing Mario Brothers with my dad and the fitness program S Factor.

What famous person reminds you of yourself? No one. I’m an original! 

What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Adrian Grenier/Patrick Dempsey

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Winning “Survivor: The Amazon” and completing my first half-marathon with Ethan.

What scares you most about traveling? Nothing except for crying babies.

What excites you most about traveling? Seeing new cultures and places.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He’s too goody-goody.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I want to go to India and Egypt because I have never been.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other then winning one million bucks)? Time to bond and an adventure.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/the-amazing-race/bios?id=team-bios
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:33:22 AM by kiki »

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »
Jenna will be appearing on Rob Has a Podcast to dicuss Survivor and The Amazing Race, which will be taping this Thurs. at 6pm EST. They usually have a questions segment, so are there any questions you guys want to ask? I can give them a list with all the questions posted here, or you can ask them on the Rob Has a Podcast Facebook fan page.
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »
I don't know... they kept blaming their elimination on a bad cab... but I'm not sure... they could have changed their cab after the Detour? They were in the city? Can somebody explain to me? :duno:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »
I don't know... they kept blaming their elimination on a bad cab... but I'm not sure... they could have changed their cab after the Detour? They were in the city? Can somebody explain to me? :duno:

I think they were talking about taxi issues on the way to the Roadblock.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »
Does anyone know how far ahead of Ethan and Jenna Amani and Marcus were on the run back to the Pit Stop? You could ask that question.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
Not long...didn't they say less than 10 minutes in an interview??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »

Maybe I got this wrong, but it was implied that they blamed the bad cab for the entirety of the race (not just the journey to the RB but also to the orphanage which came after the detour). From experience, it's very easy to catch a cab during the day at the city center (where they were at). So yeah, they could've changed cabs.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

Maybe I got this wrong, but it was implied that they blamed the bad cab for the entirety of the race (not just the journey to the RB but also to the orphanage which came after the detour). From experience, it's very easy to catch a cab during the day at the city center (where they were at). So yeah, they could've changed cabs.

Yes, this was what I got too. They blamed their elimination ENTIRELY on cabs. If I didn't remember wrongly, they arrived at the RB at the same time with the 5th, 6th, 7th team altogether. So how would it make sense that they were so far behind till they can't catch up time?

Plus after the RB.. they went straight to the city centre. They didn't arrive last either and in fact was the 6th - 8th team to finish the Detour... only when they had to run back for the clue, suddenly their position dropped. So what happened there? If their cab was bad, once they were to the city centre, they could have gotten another cab to the orphanage, unless they did and they still got a sucky cab.

I don't know?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
The RB required safety instructions...so I believe that there was no opportunity for teams to make up ground there, it seems that the order of arrival was the order they did the task in.

I think we also have somewhere that the detours>>orphanage>>Pitstop were walking distance, I am not sure but I believe the detour clue may have said go on foot. We KNOW on the go-backs that they were told to go on foot.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
http://robhasawebsite.com/jenna-morasca-survivor-amazing-race-2.html

Jenna said that there was no opportunity to get a new taxi because there were none, so they were stuck with a bad cab the whole leg.
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »

Jenna said that there was no opportunity to get a new taxi because there were none, so they were stuck with a bad cab the whole leg.

I think after the Detour they were too frantic and afraid to waste more time looking for one? :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »

I think after the Detour they were too frantic and afraid to waste more time looking for one? :duno:

After the detour they didn't need one, they were walking distance to the Pitstop.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
This just sucks...

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20541727,00.html

Ethan Zohn's Cancer Returns

Even as he was enjoying his 20th month of remission from Hodgkin's lymphoma, Ethan Zohn worried about a relapse.

"I don't want fear or cancer to define me, but it's always in the back of your mind," the former Survivor winner tells PEOPLE in a new interview.

His fears were confirmed on Sept. 14, when doctors told him the cancer had returned in his chest.

"It's localized in my lung area," Zohn, 37, says. "But it's good that it's not all over my body."

His girlfriend of eight years, Jenna Morasca, 30, was by his side when Zohn got the news. "She's taking it like the rock star that she is," he says of Morasca, who also won Survivor. "We're both filled with fear and anger and anxiety and gratitude and frustration. But there's so much love there. It's this whole spectrum of emotions."

On Oct. 18, Zohn began a new "smart" form of chemotherapy, SGN-35, that only targets the cancerous cells, which means, he says, "I won't lose my hair again."

After 12 weeks of treatment, Zohn hopes to undergo another stem-cell transplant – this time from one of his brothers, who is a likely match.

"But the doctors won't tell me which one. They didn't want me to start treating one differently than the other," Zohn says. "Of course my whole family is taking bets on who it is."

Although Zohn's life has turned upside down once again, he still plans to run in the New York City Marathon on Nov. 6 to raise money for his Grassroot Soccer organization, which promotes HIV/AIDS education and prevention.

"The doctors think I'm crazy but they gave me the okay," he says. "Cancer isn't going to slow me down. I want people to know that you can still live a fulfilled life and move forward."
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »
That's too bad. :( You can pull through Ethan! :yourock: