Author Topic: Worst Season  (Read 51828 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Worst Season
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
Oddly enough, I do think TAR 7 would be my pick (*aside from TAR 8 ) as my least favorite.

Part of that would be due to casting (I detested Rob and Amber's casting because their fame gave them an unfair advantage as compared to the other teams) and past of it would be the race course design (not so much the places visited as such but the faux round the round route that reminded me more of a bungee cord than a true round-the-world route.)

TAR AS sort of proved my point, as the cast had teams that were more equally known that Rob and Amber and robbed them of some advantages they had in TAR 7 and they did not last) and TPTB haven't tried that odd route design in TAR 7 ever since.

-- theschnauzers

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 01:26:01 AM »
season 13, hands down
Bring on the 21!

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28:08 AM »
I actually liked Season 13. Any season that gives me Kazakhstan and Bolivia is a good season in my book.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 03:35:20 AM »
 :lol3: @ Kevint's avatar.

That reaction of Joyce in Warsaw, Poland always gets me.  :lol:

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
Oddly enough, I do think TAR 7 would be my pick (*aside from TAR 8 ) as my least favorite.

Part of that would be due to casting (I detested Rob and Amber's casting because their fame gave them an unfair advantage as compared to the other teams) and past of it would be the race course design (not so much the places visited as such but the faux round the round route that reminded me more of a bungee cord than a true round-the-world route.)

Fame doesn't always help you get ahead though. Team J & J was probably the most well known team before TAR16 started, and they didn't make it past leg 6...granted neither one is particularly known for being the sharpest tools in the shed  :lol3:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

Fame doesn't always help you get ahead though. Team J & J was probably the most well known team before TAR16 started, and they didn't make it past leg 6...granted neither one is particularly known for being the sharpest tools in the shed  :lol3:

You're absolutely right there!  You need to be relatively smart in order to use fans to help you get ahead -- and neither Jeff nor Jordan were the brightest bulbs out there!

Belle Book

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »

The reason why everybody knew Rob & Amber in South Africa is that Survivor All Stars was just now airing there. I also think that Survivor is a more well known show internationally than Big Brother, but you do bring up a point.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »
Rob's original Survivor season had aired in much of the globe by the time TAR 7 had filmed. I don't know how much of the world even gets to see the U.S. version of Big Brother, but I seriously doubt it is as widespread as Survivor was when TAR 7 was filmed.

So I stand by my original response, and I don't think Jeff and Jordan had any more of an advantage than Alison did during TAR 5.
-- theschnauzers

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »
So I stand by my original response, and I don't think Jeff and Jordan had any more of an advantage than Alison did during TAR 5.
But you need to consider that while Alison was on TV, her partner wasn't a TV personality and didn't really have any exposure. Also, while Alison did seem to be a pretty smart girl, she was racing with a complete idiot  :lol:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
:lol3: @ Kevint's avatar.

That reaction of Joyce in Warsaw, Poland always gets me.  :lol:

Joyce has some of the best facial expressions on the race, there's another one I wanted to use (when she was in south america) but it's already used by someone on Survivor Sucks so I didn't think it would be a good idea. Anyway Joyce's expressions are hilarious

Edit: whatever, it's not a big deal, I'm using that expression for my new avatar
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:33:18 AM by kevint2010 »
Bring on the 21!

Offline StephenWasHere

• RFF Full Member
  • *gasp* You are SUCH a liar, Tom!
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »
I don't have a "Worst Season". I have a bottom 3.

TAR 16- There was something about this season that bugged me. I don't know what it was, but if I had to guess, it would be the cast and route. The cast was unlikable for the most part (except for Jody/Shannon, Jordan/Jeff, Steve/Allie, Jet/Cord, and Dan/Jordan sorta). The route was just bleh. The only new country was Syechelles and that leg wasn't even that great imo except for "You did not load all of your coconuts." There was also wayyyyy too much South America.

TAR 9- Most of the teams imo weren't really likable, but the route is my favorite of all time. It hit four countries I've always wanted to go to (Russia, Germany, Australia, Japan) and it had cool tasks. The cast (except for Dave/Lori, Wanda/Desiree, BJ/Tyler to a small extent) were just not rootable. I was able to handle BJ/Tyler in small doses, but there were times where I just wouldn't watch (I was 11 then and still found it annoying). Plus, the NEL's were far too late for me. I mean, they happened at the F5, F4, and F3 which is just silly imo. It should've been at the F7 (to save Dave/Lori).

TAR 15- This choice was a tough one but I ultimately chose TAR 15 due to the horrendous boot order. I mean seriously, 3 out of my 4 teams I was rooting for were gone by the Final 5 (Ron/Marcy <3, Zev/Justin <3, Maria/Tiffany <3) The other team, Brian/Ericka came in 3rd. I really liked the route and tasks, especially Czech Republic (Franz FTW!). Of course, any season that goes to Japan doesn't upset me in terms of destinations, but the cast was just tough to watch near the end.
TAR25- Shelley/Nici, Amy/Maya, Kym/Alli, Keith/Whitney
Survivor SJDS: Natalie, Jeremy, Baylor

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
I did say my worst season was season 13, but looking back, it's not entirely true, there are a couple of seasons I did not enjoy, but to really pick one that is the worst of the bunch is not easy

Here are my bottom five (in no particular order):

Season 7 - this season for me, marked the end of the "classic" amazing race era, mostly due to the fact that this season could be renamed "The Romber Show" , but watching it I don't get the same sense of enjoyment and wonder I get when watching the first 6 season, the route was very forgettable (quoting StephenWasHere, "wayyyyy too much South America") the teams were mostly underwhelming and/or not very rootable imo (except for Uchenna and Joyce and Meredith and Gretchen) and to have the race not circle around the earth was a letdown, a disappointing season all around.

Season 9 - I can't stand this season, I sincerely cannot stand it and for two simple reason, Eric and Jeremy and BJ and Tyler. I have nothing against the two teams, but their constant 1st/2nd place finishes was extremely irritating and took out all the excitement that we've come to expect from the amazing race, in fact the casting was terrible with only two extremely rootable teams (Dave/Lori and Fran/Barry). To be fair, the route was decent (dare I say good?) but not executed very well and the tasks were at times interesting and related to the country they're in, but I remember not enjoying this season and it is the season that nearly made me stop watching the amazing race (thank god for season 10).

Season 13 - It's safe to say that in my opinion, every single aspect of this race was bland (not necessarily bad, just bland), casting, route, task, editing, everything. The teams were all very generic teams with not much unique or special about them, I liked Ken and Tina but when it's against a field of teams from the Amazing Race 13, that's not a really big accomplishment. The route was god-awful imo (apologies to the producer), all the countries are interesting places (New Zealand, Cambodia, Kazahkstan, Russia, India, etc...) but when put together, it just doesn't work, the result was excruciatingly predictable that no amount of editing could save it. Unfortunately, this was the second time a season nearly made me stop watching the amazing race (once again, thank god for the next season, season 14)

Season 15 - Like season 13, a season that's bland in all aspects, perhaps not quite as bad as season 13 but still pretty bad. The teams this time are more colorful and unique, but at the same time still not very memorable (except for Zev and Justin, the poker girls, and Brian and Ericka). The route was also awful (again just a little bit better than season 13) because it has interesting locations, but it was all executed very poorly and putting these countries together was not a good combination. I never felt really attached to this season even though I did watch it to the end and this was a time when I was really worried about the amazing race because of it's degrading quality. But one thing's for sure, this can't be my "worst season" since it's just a little better than season 13.

Season 16 - this was the season that seemed to confirm my worst fears, the amazing race is ... ... "mediocre" *shriek*. I mean, I give casting the credit of selecting what would become one of my all-time favorite team, Jet and Cord, but what casting talent they used on Jet and Cord, they seemed to have exhausted the rest for the other teams. The cowboys were the only team I liked in the final 5, and the only other team I did like was Steve and Allie because they were pretty benign. So that means that out of 11 teams, I only liked 2, wow... just wow. besides that, the route was uninspiring (this is huge for me to say since it visited my country france) the tasks seemed too simple and overall it's a season I defined as "generic" in all sense of the word.

So what's my view on the Amazing Race now? well, luckily the Amazing Race gods were with us when they brought us season 17, the best season since season 12, it gave me another one of my all-time favorite teams, Brooke and Claire, and a lot of other extremely likable teams (except for the male members of all the dating teams), it was great. Then came UB, which, while not as good as season 17, is still an extremely solid season and to be honest, seeing returning teams was a real treat. Here's to hoping season 19 will not disappoint...cheers

*this is all strictly my opinion only*
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:37:35 AM by kevint2010 »
Bring on the 21!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »
I did say my worst season was season 13, but looking back, it's not entirely true, there are a couple of seasons I did not enjoy, but to really pick one that is the worst of the bunch is not easy

Here are my bottom five (in no particular order):

Season 7 - this season for me, marked the end of the "classic" amazing race era, mostly due to the fact that this season could be renamed "The Romber Show" , but watching it I don't get the same sense of enjoyment and wonder I get when watching the first 6 season, the route was very forgettable (quoting StephenWasHere, "wayyyyy too much South America") the teams were mostly underwhelming and/or not very rootable imo (except for Uchenna and Joyce and Meredith and Gretchen) and to have the race not circle around the earth was a letdown, a disappointing season all around.

Season 9 - I can't stand this season, I sincerely cannot stand it and for two simple reason, Eric and Jeremy and BJ and Tyler. I have nothing against the two teams, but their constant 1st/2nd place finishes was extremely irritating and took out all the excitement that we've come to expect from the amazing race, in fact the casting was terrible with only two extremely rootable teams (Dave/Lori and Fran/Barry). To be fair, the route was decent (dare I say good?) but not executed very well and the tasks were at times interesting and related to the country they're in, but I remember not enjoying this season and it is the season that nearly made me stop watching the amazing race (thank god for season 10).

Season 13 - It's safe to say that in my opinion, every single aspect of this race was bland (not necessarily bad, just bland), casting, route, task, editing, everything. The teams were all very generic teams with not much unique or special about them, I liked Ken and Tina but when it's against a field of teams from the Amazing Race 13, that's not a really big accomplishment. The route was god-awful imo (apologies to the producer), all the countries are interesting places (New Zealand, Cambodia, Kazahkstan, Russia, India, etc...) but when put together, it just doesn't work, the result was excruciatingly predictable that no amount of editing could save it. Unfortunately, this was the second time a season nearly made me stop watching the amazing race (once again, thank god for the next season, season 14)

Season 15 - Like season 13, a season that's bland in all aspects, perhaps not quite as bad as season 13 but still pretty bad. The teams this time are more colorful and unique, but at the same time still not very memorable (except for Zev and Justin, the poker girls, and Brian and Ericka). The route was also awful (again just a little bit better than season 13) because it has interesting locations, but it was all executed very poorly and putting these countries together was not a good combination. I never felt really attached to this season even though I did watch it to the end and this was a time when I was really worried about the amazing race because of it's degrading quality. But one thing's for sure, this can't be my "worst season" since it's just a little better than season 13.

Season 16 - this was the season that seemed to confirm my worst fears, the amazing race is ... ... "mediocre" *shriek*. I mean, I give casting the credit of selecting what would become one of my all-time favorite team, Jet and Cord, but what casting talent they used on Jet and Cord, they seemed to have exhausted the rest for the other teams. The cowboys were the only team I liked in the final 5, and the only other team I did like was Steve and Allie because they were pretty benign. So that means that out of 11 teams, I only liked 2, wow... just wow. besides that, the route was uninspiring (this is huge for me to say since it visited my country france) the tasks seemed too simple and overall it's a season I defined as "generic" in all sense of the word.

So what's my view on the Amazing Race now? well, luckily the Amazing Race gods were with us when they brought us season 17, the best season since season 12, it gave me another one of my all-time favorite teams, Brooke and Claire, and a lot of other extremely likable teams (except for the male members of all the dating teams), it was great. Then came UB, which, while not as good as season 17, is still an extremely solid season and to be honest, seeing returning teams was a real treat. Here's to hoping season 19 will not disappoint...cheers

*this is all strictly my opinion only*

If Uchenna & Joyce hadn't won Season 7, I would've put it entirely in the middle for the reasons you stated.  It's because Uchenna & Joyce had won that I put it in my Top 3, behind Seasons 17 and 5.

I don't remember Season 9 -- or the winners -- much.  Which may be one reason why it's not one of my favorites.  I agree with you on Season 13, however -- it was pretty bland.  I wanted to like Kelly & Christy but I couldn't do so, and there were no other teams I could really root for.

I liked Season 15 because of Megan & Cheyne (I liked them), Zev & Justin and Maria & Tiffany.  It would be near the top of my list but not at the top.  But Season 16 was mediocre as well, I agree with you on that.  I think I only liked Jet & Cord, Steve & Allie (because Steve once worked for the Phillies) and Monique & Shawne.  Oh, and I kind of liked Jeff & Jordan, but they were so clueless.

Belle Book

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »
it may not count but tara 3

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 04:32:18 AM »
I thought Season 9 was bad until we had Season 16.

Bad Teams = Bad Season, that's my criteria. The locations and tasks doesn't even make up the bad combination of teams.

Brent and Caite were so bad and made mistakes almost every leg, but even survived until the Final 3. That's how bad the cast was IMO.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
Season 16 is the only one that left a sour taste in my mouth, but some of the comedy among the dumb teams was kinda funny.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »
I thought Season 9 was bad until we had Season 16.

Bad Teams = Bad Season, that's my criteria. The locations and tasks doesn't even make up the bad combination of teams.

Brent and Caite were so bad and made mistakes almost every leg, but even survived until the Final 3. That's how bad the cast was IMO.

I agree that bad teams=bad season. I am just not going to like a season, if I don't have a team to root for.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
i think season 4 was boring

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Monique and Shawne, I think. :tup:

I think you're right on that.  Anyway, I wish they'd lasted longer.

Belle Book

That's them for sure. A huge fan of them tells you, :lol3:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

That was my first entire season to watch, and I really liked it. I found the magnificence of TAR on it. And seriously, I liked the cast a lot too.
Kelly & Jon and Millie & Chuck made the season funny, and I ws just pleased that my favourite team (Kelly & Jon) won in a footrace against Millie & Chuck. There were also the clowns and David & Jeff (I also enjoyed watching it).
The destinations were not bad at all, I think. BUT having the gays win the prize was just the worst thing ever, :lol:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »

That was my first entire season to watch, and I really liked it. I found the magnificence of TAR on it. And seriously, I liked the cast a lot too.
Kelly & Jon and Millie & Chuck made the season funny, and I ws just pleased that my favourite team (Kelly & Jon) won in a footrace against Millie & Chuck. There were also the clowns and David & Jeff (I also enjoyed watching it).
The destinations were not bad at all, I think. BUT having the gays win the prize was just the worst thing ever, :lol:

do you hate gays or something i think that was wrong thing say but i dont like them at all 

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:53 AM »
The worst is Season 19.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
The worst is Season 19.

+0,5 (but not worse than S16)
I don't know if it's only me but we're are almost into the 2/3 of the race and I still have difficulty getting into this season. I don't know if it's because there's less travelling (4 countries in 7 legs). Maybe because of the cast. I don't have real favourites like in the past 2 seasons.  :duno:
But the tasks are pretty good tho. And the locations are scenic.  :tup:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »

do you hate gays or something i think that was wrong thing say but i dont like them at all 

No, I don't hate gays in general. I didn't like those two gays, nothing to do. I'm not offending, I think.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
I never liked Chip and Reichen from TAR 4 either. For me they were the worst winners that they could have been from that season. It has nothing to do with them being gays because one of my favourite teams ever is Team Cha Cha Cha. What I hated in the TAR 4 winners was their attitude.