Author Topic: Let's Talk About Disappointments of TAR-Aus S1 Here!  (Read 65673 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Let's Talk About Disappointments of TAR-Aus S1 Here!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
One thing that got to me, i dont know why, is that despite grants voiceovers usually being replicated word for word from phils, he says 'in OUR race around the world' whereas phil clearly say 'in A race..'.

Im guessing that this was a concious change, but i much prefer phils line!

That's odd. ??? I never noticed that. They should use the "a race" line.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
I just thought of another disappointment: Chris not getting angry at the Carabao task. It was such a perfect opportunity!

Offline StephenWasHere

• RFF Full Member
  • *gasp* You are SUCH a liar, Tom!
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
1. (Minor disappointment)- They did this in TARAsia too, but in the opening voiceover, when they say "THE race around the world". Its not a race around the world and if it was, it wasn't the only one. That for some reason always bugs me and I don't know why!

2. Task copying. I like that Poland and Israel were new, unvisited countries from TARAsia, but the Poland leg seemed to have a lot of generic tasks (woodcutting). The only thing in Poland that was really different from other tasks I had seen was the Roadblock (which was VERY cool might I add.) Both Israel legs were great imo!

3. I probably shouldn't gripe about this one, but locations. I mean, if we're having new tasks, can we have new locations at least? We had Poland and Israel, and to a much lesser extent, The Netherlands, and to an even lesser extent, Germany (still don't know why they counted it). Hopefully in Season 2, we get new locations *coughUSspecificallyDCcough*. Again though, this may come from being a TAR US fan first and being used to having at least one new location and if not, at least new tasks.

4. The gender imbalance. I like equal numbers of M/M, F/F, and M/F teams if possible (thus why I love 12 team races).

Other than that, I thought it was a fabulous season. I mean, I had AM/Tracy, Alana/Mel <33333, Matt/Tom, and Sam/Renae getting robbed but it was still a fun season. Also, I LOVE Grant Bowler as the host. I don't know what it is, but he's done a fabulous job. Definitely no Phil, but I still really like his style of hosting.
TAR25- Shelley/Nici, Amy/Maya, Kym/Alli, Keith/Whitney
Survivor SJDS: Natalie, Jeremy, Baylor

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Well said Stephen! But I think the line is 'in OUR race around the world which is even worse.. I guess those of us that have seen both TARA and TARAus are in an extreme minority so they probably wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

As for Grant, well I preferred him as the boat captain on 'Lost' :D

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
Well, to sum up what I didn't enjoy about TAR Australia 1:

1. NEL Placements: Having one on Leg 1 is something I absolutely hate, unless, like TAR19, Leg 2 happens to be a Double Elimination leg. However, at least that first NEL saved Mo & Mos who we certainly needed to keep around for a few more episodes!

2. My biggest problem was the winners. Tyler & Nathan seemed so dull and they seemed to have an amazing amount of luck, such as finding passports after leaving them carelessly to be stolen. Surely someone would have the intellect to sleep with the little bag ON. I really hated them, and in fact, they were the only team I didn't like.

3. The casting was great, as we had a lot of lovely teams. But any season with three all-male teams in the Top Four is already anticlimatic. Look at TAR16, which is the most abysmal TAR ever, in my opinion of course.

4. Too many strength-based challenges, such as the saws that killed off Anastasia & Chris, or the carriage pulling in Prague.

5. I was really looking forward to the Czech Republic when I first heard the route, as I personally find Prague to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But the legs in the Czech Republic were awful in my opinion, especially compared to TAR15's visit.

6. In my honest opinion, we had five great legs to start the race, followed by a bland remainder of the race. The legs in Europe had bad task-design for my liking and Israel lacked the suspense factor, although the tasks were good for the most part.

7. This one isn't a criticism about Season 1, but it is a must for Season 2  - we need to see the Americas being visited. It is understandable that Season 1 didn't do it, but Season 2 must do it.

8. In my opinion, the Final Leg should not be half-half in two different places. I prefer teams flying straight to the Final Destination City and all tasks taking place there. That thing on the Singapore Flyer was one of the most ridiculous challenges I have ever seen, especially as it was on the last leg!

Well, I hope you have endured my ranting without sustaining any serious injuries  :iok and that just about sums it up for me. My major criticism is the winners and the M/M dominance, although I really loved Matt & Tom and Jeff & Luke.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
Only major disappointment was I found the 3rd place team a bit boring, a bit like the 3rd place team in the American 12th season.  Would have preferred the cowboys in the final.

Mo and Mos did last too long, and though the enterpreuner couple were a bit annoying I really don't think they were the villains the program wanted to paint them as.  They could have gone to the Americas and had a cold climate country as well.  I also prefer double u-turn over single uturns which I think have been shown to be a failure. 

But I don't want to complain too much as I liked this one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:52:44 AM by starrynight »

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »

7. This one isn't a criticism about Season 1, but it is a must for Season 2  - we need to see the Americas being visited. It is understandable that Season 1 didn't do it, but Season 2 must do it.

8. In my opinion, the Final Leg should not be half-half in two different places. I prefer teams flying straight to the Final Destination City and all tasks taking place there. That thing on the Singapore Flyer was one of the most ridiculous challenges I have ever seen, especially as it was on the last leg!

I don't think the Americas has to be done next time, though Americans will think that way.  :D  But they do definitely need a cold climate location.

And I'm not bothered with splitting legs between places, I really wish I saw that on the American version now.  More should be packed into legs to make it more of a challenge.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »

I don't think the Americas has to be done next time, though Americans will think that way.  :D  But they do definitely need a cold climate location.

And I'm not bothered with splitting legs between places, I really wish I saw that on the American version now.  More should be packed into legs to make it more of a challenge.

I actually don't mind the finale being split in two places - it created a few interesting finales in old TAR seasons - but the Singapore Flyer task thing completely killed Sam & Renae. That terrible luck-based task cost them the race. :'(

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:31 AM »
Any luck based tasks should be near the start of long legs imo.  Although they do still favour people who arrive at the task first, and those who are more competant at carrying out a task (like opening prison cell doors).  I suppose the quicker you start a task or carry it out the quicker you are likely to finish it even if it has a luck element to it.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 04:38:19 AM »
Any luck based tasks should be near the start of long legs imo.  Although they do still favour people who arrive at the task first, and those who are more competant at carrying out a task (like opening prison cell doors).  I suppose the quicker you start a task or carry it out the quicker you are likely to finish it even if it has a luck element to it.

Yeah, that's definitely true in most cases. :tup: Like rolling out the haybales on TAR6/15 - you'd be likely to finish quickly if you rolled them faster. :tup: But with the Singapore Flyer task on the TARAus finale, there's very little skill involved and you can't really do much to finish faster. :(

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »
We need this to be done with ALL SEASONS of the race. It's a great Idea!