Author Topic: How did you become a TAR detective?  (Read 10931 times)

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
How did you become a TAR detective?
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
If you're a detective share with us your encounter with TAR! It'll be interesting to hear!!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: How did you become a TAR detective?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:31:09 PM »
I followed them around Sydney for a day.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:53:50 AM »
I still hate you so much! :kuss:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:57:38 AM »
I still hate you so much! :kuss:

Hate you too! :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »
Before the beginning of AR-11 All-Stars, I searched through Google Earth maps in the water west of Miami Beach and east of Miami looking for either the Start Line or the site for filming the introduction of the teams. There were over 70 islands to be searched individually. I found the introduction site.

At least I think that's why I got it. One would have to ask puddin to find out for sure. It's also possible that it was for my work to provide transportation alternatives (which started during the second half of AR-10 when I joined RFF).

For those looking to become a TAR Detective, they are selected by the Moderators, who award it for providing extremely useful information.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »

Now THAT is the BIGGEST understatement I ever saw!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »

Now THAT is the BIGGEST understatement I ever saw!

Oh, right. And Manly :lol:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
Oh, right. And Manly :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Huh, I didn't even know being a "detective" was a deal! (And I don't think it is one now even still!)

I have no idea when, how, or why I got the label - it's just a label right? :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
You'd have to ask the moderation team since I was just honored. I've been around TAR since the beginning, and I was one of those who pitched in during the early days to help reconstruct the timelines of the early seasons before the internet made live tracking possible. (Those were the days when vidcappers were our best friends! Before live blogging, Facebook or twitter!) And it helps that I've learned a few tricks over the years to locate or decipher information.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
I'm not a TAR detective, but I remember that I randomly bumped into one of the teams the first time they were in Norway. I had to tell them how to get to the ski jumping hill.

\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

Huh, I didn't even know being a "detective" was a deal! (And I don't think it is one now even still!)

It is an RFF distinction for ongoing contributions to the TAR spoilers...and gosh knows you are a contributor!!

And I remember being thrilled when I was made one, I took it as an honor!

But what I did (if anything) I have no idea, I think puddin was just in a good mood one day. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how I became a TAR Detective. A willingness to search through tons of information for an occasional useful fact, I guess. I lurked around here for several seasons (probably TAR 10-14) and enjoyed reading all the stuff that was being found about the races. I looked it up lately and I had one "Gosh, you guys are amazing!" post back then.

Then one night at work I had some free time during a graveyard shift and had been following the hunt in the early stages of TAR 15. After the second leg in Japan ("Wasabi!"), the trail had grown cold. I decided to take a look at Twitter (which I hadn't used before) and see if I could figure out how the searching was done. I don't think I found anything the first night, but the next night, I stumbled across a tweet from a woman vacationing in Vietnam that had seen the teams racing there. I passed it on to RFF and the next night, the same woman saw Phil in a restaurant in Cambodia. So, I came in with a splash of helping spoil two consecutive legs. That got me hooked. It turned out that searching during the middle of the USA nighttime was an advantage because hardly anyone else was up and searching then (except Puddin (I miss her - I hope she's doing well) and Peach - they apparently never sleep  :lol:). Also, that was when the teams half way around the world were in daytime and racing. I also got so I was willing to spend time searching blogs and photo sites and wade through tons of unrelated material for the occasional scrap of information. So, I had a series of small successes in TAR 15 and TAR 16. It also helped that TAR 16 had it's final leg in San Francisco where I grew up. I knew the area inside and out and was able to make connections from the information as to what some of the locations being used were.

Somewhere during that time, to my great shock and surprise, I was named a TAR Detective. I'm not sure I'm as worthy as the other TAR Detectives that have gone to great lengths, even considerable expense and much greater sophistication to figure things out, but I enjoy having the title. I haven't been quite as successful the last couple of seasons or this season. Most of the stuff I pass on to Peach turns out to be something that was already known. I'm not working graveyard shifts as much and have less free time these days so I'm not searching as much as I used to. Also, I think we have more people in other parts of the world looking (which is great) so looking at night is not quite as unique as it was a year or two back. I still keep working at it. It's a bit of a thrill to sit at my desk and figure out something happening around the world just using the internet. It makes me feel a bit like a detective in a mystery story. Maybe it's a bit weird. My wife thinks I'm nuts to be spending time doing this, but she has her mild obsessions that I don't quite understand too, so it all evens out.  :colors
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:06:10 PM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Just start. That is the key. While Twitter and FB checking are great, so is the wading thru all the photo sites, the travel blogs, the travel websites, looking for that ONE photo, one post, one sighting that makes a difference.

And right now while they are who knows where, is a great time to start.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Just start. That is the key. While Twitter and FB checking are great, so is the wading thru all the photo sites, the travel blogs, the travel websites, looking for that ONE photo, one post, one sighting that makes a difference.

And right now while they are who knows where, is a great time to start.

Indeed. That's my experience in far fewer words. If you want to be a TAR Detective or even just participate in the search, right now is the golden opportunity to do it.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »

It is an RFF distinction for ongoing contributions to the TAR spoilers...and gosh knows you are a contributor!!

And I remember being thrilled when I was made one, I took it as an honor!

But what I did (if anything) I have no idea, I think puddin was just in a good mood one day. :lol:
I know the feeling... God I miss her!

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
I think puddin made me a TAR detective after finding a photo matching Chiasso train station in TAR 15, or it might have been after debunking the fake Masada sighting.
Or maybe when I found the whole TAR 19 itinerary posted at ... oh wait... that one can't come out until later.  :lol3:

Remember that the true TAR detective doesn't need a label and just feels it in their heart that the information is out there and must be found!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:44:01 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Ancient chinese secret which includes 3 failed and more and counting TAR chasing attempts. :lol:

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
This thread should be posted in more often.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
i'd like to know what oval did, hmmm...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

What DIDN'T he?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »

What DIDN'T he?? :lol:

Oval is awesome!!!! :lol:

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives