Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 507599 times)

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #550 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:13 AM »

San Marino is smaller that Lichtenstein and it's all uphill.

Then make them walk lol

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #551 on: July 06, 2011, 04:03:42 AM »

Then make them walk lol
Or ride on a donkey (Is there a donkey in San Marino?) :lol3:

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #552 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:57 AM »
If they're already in Italy then they should go to the small enclave of San Marino and do a roadblock task there on measuring the area using mopeds just like what TAR: Unfinished Business on the previous season did and if so, this could be a Switchback roadblock task but in a different country.  Cross our fingers, everyone. ;)

That would just make it more fun.  :snicker:

paldog123456

« Reply #553 on: July 06, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
I love San Marino. They could have them climb the three towers.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #554 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
Moving on...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #555 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
that will be great as well but I think that will be a pit stop? :duno:

btw, here's the info about the 3 towers of San Marino as what Palcat said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Towers_of_San_Marino

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #556 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
that will be great as well but I think that will be a pit stop? :duno:

btw, here's the info about the 3 towers of San Marino as what Palcat said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Towers_of_San_Marino

San Marino, is also close to the Italian cities of Bologna, Ferarra, and in traveling distance to Venice.  I would like to see Venice again since Season 4.  Also other cities from Milan in distance of train or car travel is Genoa, Turin, Pisa, Verona, and the areas around Lake Como and Lake Maggiore too.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #557 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
Impossible for KL. Our best TAR Allstars spoiler came from KL.. (izad <3) :lol:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #558 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
This makes it hard to believe we will get to see The Atomium in a broadcast!  :lol:

From Wikipedia

Worldwide copyright claims

SABAM, Belgium's society for collecting royalties, has claimed worldwide intellectual property rights on all reproductions of the Atomium image via the United States Artists Rights Society (ARS) .[3] For example SABAM issued a demand that a United States website remove all images of the Atomium from its pages.[4] The website responded by replacing all such images with a warning not to take photographs of the Atomium, and that Asbl Atomium will sue if you show them to anyone.[4][5] Sabam confirmed that permission is required.[4]

Ralf Ziegermann remarked[6] on the complicated copyright instructions on Atomium's website specific to "private pictures".[7] The organisers of Belgian heritage, Anno Expo (www.expo58.eu, planning the 50th anniversary celebrations of Expo '58), in the city of Mechelen announced a "cultural guerrilla strike" by asking people to send in their old photographs of the Atomium and requested 100 photoshoppers to paint over the balls.[8][9] SABAM responded that they would make an exception for 2008 and that people could publish private photographs for one year only on condition they were for non-commercial purposes.[8]

Anno Expo later announced they had censored part of their own report due to "complications" and referred to a meeting they had with SABAM.[10] Mechelen's Mayor, Bart Somers, called the Atomium copyright rules absurd.[11]

On February 23, 2009 Axel Addington, Web Content Manager for Atomium, e-mailed a clarification to the Glass Steel and Stone web site, which some years earlier redacted its photographs of the Atomium after being threatened. He stated, "The royalties are perceived (sic) by the descendants of Andre Waterkeyn, the engineer who conceived Atomium in 1955, and not by the A.S.B.L Atomium. So, you've probably been sued by the SABAM (Belgian Copyright Company) because of the Waterkeyn Family."

From the Atomium's website, the current copyright restrictions exempt private individuals under the following conditions,[12]

There are some cases however where use of the image of the Atomium is not restricted by any rights. This is the case where photographs are taken by private individuals and shown on private websites for no commercial purpose (the current trend for photo albums), as long as these pictures are displayed at a low resolution (600 pixels maximum, resolution of 72dpi) to avoid abusive usage and downloads. However, the words "© www.atomium.be - SABAM 2010 - photographers name" must be included next to the image.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:15:49 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #559 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Those are some of the most absurd copyright restrictions I've ever seen; they don't even recognize the doctrine of "fair use."

And it actually doesn't discuss film, just photographs.  Which is wierd.
-- theschnauzers

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #560 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »
So here are the summary on TAR 19 on all the cities and countries that they racing it:

Starting point - Los Angeles, CA
leg 1: Taipei, Taiwan
leg 2: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
leg 3: Bali, Indonesia
leg 4: Phuket, Thailand [?]
leg 5: Malawi
leg 6: Kenya
leg 7: Cyprus
leg 8: Milan, Italy
leg 9: somewhere in Italy and (hopefully *cross our fingers*) San Marino
leg 10: Brussels, Belgium
leg 11: Lugano, Switzerland
final leg: somewhere in the US Atlantic coast cities.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #561 on: July 06, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
topaz, you're making assumptions I don't think have been adequately sourced or confirmed using multiple independent sources. We haven't had a photo of a team since Indonesia, IIRC.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #562 on: July 07, 2011, 12:02:06 AM »
So here are the summary on TAR 19 on all the cities and countries that they racing it:

leg 7: Cyprus
leg 8: Milan, Italy
leg 10: Brussels, Belgium

No, no, no. So far the only confirmed and/or more likely route has been:

US/Los Angeles
Taiwan
Indonesia
Thailand
Possible missing leg
South Africa (possible leg or connection only in J-burg)
Malawi
Ethiopia or Kenya (possible connection only in Addis Ababa or Nairobi)
Netherlands (possible leg or connection only in Amsterdam)
Italy and/or Belgium

No Cyprus, San Marino and Switzerland at all.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
A penultimate leg in Belgium means they can have final city just about anywhere with a single connection. I wouldn't limit analysis just to the East Coast (especially since the last times we were in a situation like this, we went from Prague to Vegas and Moscow to Portland).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:28:44 AM by Zack. »

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
A penultimate leg in Belgium means they can have final city just about anywhere with a single connection. I wouldn't limit analysis just to the East Coast (especially since the last times we were in a situation like this, we went from Prague to Vegas and Moscow to Portland).

I absolutely agree with you. If they're coming back from Brussels. Non-stops to the US are:

New York (JFK and EWR)
Chicago
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington, DC (a finish run at The Mall would be impressive).

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2011, 02:58:45 AM »
Okay I am thinking Amsterdam might be a connection point to another European country, because Amsterdam has had so many visits I kind of find it hard to believe they would go back soon.  :duno:

Actually the race has only visited Amsterdam 3 times, the last being in season 15. So it could very well be where the teams were going.

Didn't stop them from going to Tokyo again last season, after it's prior visit was in TAR15 too.

Offline alextofu07

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #566 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »
how about Isreal??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #567 on: July 07, 2011, 05:31:42 AM »

lleg 7: Cyprus
eg 8
: Milan, Italy
leg 10: Brussels, Belgium unknown

many incorrect assumptions.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #568 on: July 07, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »

I absolutely agree with you. If they're coming back from Brussels. Non-stops to the US are:

New York (JFK and EWR)
Chicago
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Washington, DC (a finish run at The Mall would be impressive).

A nice concept that it is time for the penultimate leg. Today is day 19 of the race. Typically, an Amazing Race lasts for 21 days or longer. The return from Europe is usually after an extended pit stop so Brussels (if true) as the penultimate leg is barely possible.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #569 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
A nice concept that it is time for the penultimate leg. Today is day 19 of the race. Typically, an Amazing Race lasts for 21 days or longer. The return from Europe is usually after an extended pit stop so Brussels (if true) as the penultimate leg is barely possible.

OK! Then lets give them a tan and bring them back through Cancun. Mexico deserves a break after 15 seasons!

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #570 on: July 07, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »

OK! Then lets give them a tan and bring them back through Cancun. Mexico deserves a break after 15 seasons!

Not happening, they will not risk the saftey of the racers.

Just a note... if you are implying that Mexico is not safe, I need to underline that Mexico has not EVER lost or hurt a single tourist (of which 70% are Americans) to drug violence out of the Half a Million foreigners that visit Mexico each and every month to date, including TARLA's last two seasons.

At this very moment Mexico is hosting FIFA's U-17 World Cup in cities through out the country with teams and visitors from all over the world moving freely and safely all over the country. Would you think FIFA, http://www.fifa.com would ever put a World Cup at risk for safety? In any FIFA World Cup many more teams made up by many more team mates from many more countries travel more and make more fuzz than the secretive and maybe fearful AR.

Since I am pretty sure no one in TAR is carrying or dealing with drugs at this time, what are your fears?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:11:21 PM by Xarles »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #571 on: July 07, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Mexico    04/22/2011

This is why they won't go to Mexico.

Offline Xarles

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #572 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:07 AM »
I didn't mean to offend you...

Anyways, I wouldn't visit Mexico at all, it seems like every other month a Canadian tourist is randomly killed.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Mexico    04/22/2011

This is why they won't go to Mexico.

Don't worry, I am not offended at all. Maybe other places are so much smaller than Mexico that it becomes hard to understand proportions. I understand you and I will take your words and fears at face value, as I will do with those of the US government:

"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico (legally)." from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

And will make my best effort to make things extremely clear for you and hopefully for WRP which could and should shortly consider Mexico for TAR (20?):

1) No other country in the world is visited by any more Americans every day, week or year than Mexico. About 1.5 million every month according to the US State Dept.
2) The whole country has a smaller crime rate than that of Detroit. A much larger percentage of Detroit's population is murdered every day than that of all of Mexico's population of 112 million. That is, in Detroit there are 42 murders per 100,000 people and there are just 12 per 100,000 in all of Mexico. Of course this figure almost disappears when talking only about foreign visitors in Mexico.
3) Yes, it seems like, every other day, there is a fatality of an American or Canadian in Mexico, but NONE EVER YET, and it is expected to remain this way, related to drug violence.
4) Math can explain: There are 2 million Americans and Canadians (legally or illegally*) living permanently in Mexico plus 20,000 (at least) arriving every day on tourism, and 130,000 crossing into Mexico every day from the US, that is more people than those who live in all of American Samoa OR Northern Mariana Islands OR US Virgin Islands OR Guam OR Wyoming OR Washington, DC OR Vermont OR North Dakota OR Alaska OR South Dakota OR Delaware OR Montana OR Rhode Island and it is a population size comparable to that of New Hampshire OR Maine OR Hawai’i. Of course, just like in Washington, DC, someone gets killed every other day. But it can be from anything from a transportation accident to being murdered by your own husband like it happened to an American lady who got killed in Cancun by her American husband who happened to be a producer for Survivor or maybe even surviving an accident like that of a very lucky British lad whom, wasted in Mazatlan, forgot he was staying in the 7th floor of a hotel and just walked out of a window.
5) No other country in the world has even close to one million Americans in it, permanently or has 160,000 North Americans counterparts coming into it DAILY.
6) TAR regularly visits countries with a much higher crime rate than that of Mexico, like Russia, Brazil and others.
7) Press and fearful people love to take things out of proportion.

* "Do I look Illegal?" by The Mexico Times: http://mexicotimes.posterous.com/do-i-look-illegal-bottom-10-lesser-known-fact

Believe me, as a permanent resident in Mexico City, which is by far (over Toronto and London) the most preferred city for American expats in the world, that is, there are more Americans in Mexico City than in Toronto and London combined, I'd be more scared to find myself lost in a rough area of Miami, San Diego, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, Vancouver or Houston which I know all very well.

Just to make us all feel comfortable, at ease and in peace, just take a look at the beauty that TAR is missing (just imagine the possible tasks) in this selection of just 10 out of 32 states of Mexico, next door:

Chihuahua State http://youtu.be/IXYZoDrIPDU just across from New Mexico and Texas
Tamaulipas State http://youtu.be/ZojkZU25TFs just across from Texas
Sinaloa State http://youtu.be/XsdDyJJPDeA
Oaxaca State http://youtu.be/qUcOjN4gRKw
Veracruz State http://youtu.be/rz3JYbVkXQs
Yucatan State http://youtu.be/_rHm9yuhLNE
Quintana Roo State http://youtu.be/yBSjzfIgCSM
Chiapas State http://youtu.be/ror3hepR4HQ
Sonora State http://youtu.be/eSegtyStFSQ just across from Arizona
Coahuila State http://youtu.be/TtM0NiWNLL4 just across from Texas

Hope you like it. and yes, this is Mexico, the place you thought you knew.

At least WRP LOVES IT for its Elimination Stations where, without any special security each and every one has enjoyed their stay.

Please accept my apologies for when I mentioned that TAR 19 still had time to bring them back through Cancun, I didn't mean to raise any fears.

Now lets change topic to TAR 19 and quit Mexico, since this has just taken me a lot of time away from my detective activity for both TAR and TARLA.

Read you all soon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:37:44 AM by Xarles »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #573 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »
I think the expression of violence in Mexico reflects the popular perception of it as a center for drug wars. However, as Xarles quite properly points out, Mexico is an incredible place for tourists to visit. Among the great places where I have been and AR19 could go are:

Cancun (yes, indeed)
Cozumel
Merida
Mexico City
Oaxaca
Acapulco (despite the fact that there are killings there, it's still a fabulous tourist paradise)
Puerto Vallarta (would be a bit humid this time of the year, but that never stops an Amazing Race from steamy places)
Guadalajara

The one place where it would not be appropriate to visit is Tiajuana, but why would AR19 want to go there anyway?

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #574 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
How about stopping in Canada? I would put this as the same odds as Mexico.