Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 508697 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
The best I can remember teams arrived in Phuket the evening of the 24th and probably transported somewhere else near there and did not start the leg until the 25th. An early to late afternoon check in on the 25th means a early morning release on the 26th if there is the traditional 12hr pitstop. (There may not be though)

From Phuket teams could get to JNB by connecting through Bangkok, Singapore or both. There are other options but I thought those were the best. (They may have gone right under RFF's nose in Singapore  (:;) )

Anyway, arriving in Jburg by noon or early afternoon on the 26th they run the leg from there and check in that night. Teams are released the morning of the 27th and have time for another leg in the South Africa area. The problem is that teams would be released probably in the wee hours of the 28th and the flight that arrived this morning in Malawi departed from JNB at 10AM on the 30th.

Somewhere in here there are at least two longer than usual pitstops.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
Or JoBurg was a connection point.

I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence that the safari company in Malawi in located on the Songwe River; and that the first pit stop ever was at Songwe village in Zambia, which was reached by the teams going through JoBurg.

Could there have been a leg similar to the first leg ever, and then one or more legs or connections to get the teams to Malawi? It's all speculation, but I do find the place name coincidence to be curious.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
I want everyone who is kindly watching Tweets and FB posts and blogs to be awre that NOTHING is confirmed yet...except I do believe teams were due into LiLONGWE yesterday. Could that have been changed to today? yes.

BUT I am not yet convinced that teams came there via Joburg... This info is not yet confirmed, and for that matter Joburg itself remains speculative,

So please. Continue to work both ways...

Assume they could be leaving Lilongwe today for ?? Nairobi OR Joburg, or again tomorrow.

I still think a Lilongwe to SO Africa leg remains a possibility, as does a Lilongwe to wherever via Nairobi.

Continue to watch Lilongwe, Nairobi, Cape Town and Joburg, and even Victoria Falls. They could be heading any direction.

Thanks everyone!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #503 on: July 01, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »
Okay...several things.

ARR into Lilongwe has been confirmed as being So Africa airlines from Joberg on 6/30.

So we need to reconsider that they went direct Phuket >> Joberg as our next leg or legs. We really need to keep looking for any info from here, so watch those travel blogs and photo sites!

ALSO, with incoming info re events 6/30 and 7/1 and possibly MORE, seems fairly certain this is a double leg in Malawi.

Flights out of Malawi are best via Nairobi....could we still see a Kenyan leg?

Maybe....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #504 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
I'm liking either of these destinations for Monday morning:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline alextofu07

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #505 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
Isreal :yess:

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #506 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »
Have they been to Cyprus? That would seem to be one of the more stable countries in that area outside of Turkey.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #507 on: July 01, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
Have they been to Cyprus? That would seem to be one of the more stable countries in that area outside of Turkey.

Nope. Never been to Cyprus  :(

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #508 on: July 01, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Remember Phil's interview about a surprise country? This might be it. :yess:

When do you start Season 19?
Keoghan: Season 19 is going to shoot in the summer. We're locking in the cast. We're really excited about it. I just think it's wonderful that we get another chance to do it. I know we're going to places that we haven't been before. We're also going to places that will surprise people, I think. "Really? You're going to that country?!" It's not Pakistan, by the way! [Laughs] "Teams must now make their way to Osama bin Laden's old residence."

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:09:48 PM by Cocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #509 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »
On paper, with two regional editions already filmed, one would think it would be possible to film a leg in Israel.
My only concern would be the Syrians right now; and none of the other Arab states bordering Israel would be safe choices after the Arab Spring.
Cyprus may or may not be sufficiently safe because the island is still divided into two communities, and the civil war there has never been resolved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #510 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »
Israel is still in the US travel warning. But then again so is Kenya.  :duno:

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #511 on: July 02, 2011, 01:22:46 AM »

Israel is safe, its only the disputed West Bank and Gaza areas are dangerous.  Tel Aviv and Haifa, two of Israel's coastal cities are safe.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #512 on: July 02, 2011, 01:40:38 AM »
Cyprus is VERY safe, as long as you stay away from Northern Cyprus. Cities like Nicosia and Lanarca are fine.

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #513 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »

Israel is safe, its only the disputed West Bank and Gaza areas are dangerous.  Tel Aviv and Haifa, two of Israel's coastal cities are safe.

But then again this argument can be applied to a lot of the countries in the travel warning (i.e. only dangerous in certain parts). The point is, if a country is in the US travel warning, insurance might not cover any cost incurred there or if they do, producers have to pay a hefty premium. So it's a matter of money.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
Cyprus was a WAG on my part since it's probably as safe & stable as Sri Lanka was when the Race went through there. And I can remember a House Hunters International episode from there not too long back where they were looking at million dollar homes, so it wouldn't be the first US reality tv production taking interest in the country.

I'd love to see Lebanon. But while it's probably reasonably safe with the correct local fixers, there's still about a 1% chance of it turning into a repeat of Anthony Bourdain in Beiruit, so I'm resigned to that country never making an appearance on the Race.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #515 on: July 02, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
That Cyprus tweet is almost certain to be false. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #516 on: July 02, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
I can't imagine a compelling reason to go to a place like Cyprus other than for the novelty of visiting a new country. I've been to Cyprus and it's a pretty beach destination but that's about it. There are still plenty of great destinations that have yet to be visited by the race. Copenhagen anyone?   :)  Have they ever been to the Greek Isles? Or Palma de Mallorca off the coast of Spain? Ireland? These places would be so amazing to see in HD.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #517 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
I can't imagine a compelling reason to go to a place like Cyprus other than for the novelty of visiting a new country. I've been to Cyprus and it's a pretty beach destination but that's about it. There are still plenty of great destinations that have yet to be visited by the race. Copenhagen anyone?   :)  Have they ever been to the Greek Isles? Or Palma de Mallorca off the coast of Spain? Ireland? These places would be so amazing to see in HD.

Copenhagen is a nice city, I've been there multiple times, but, there's not much to do. They have quite a few nice zoos, castles and townships, but not many things to do.

Ireland has been visited once, and Greece won't be visited anytime soon. So, if you wan't Greece, the closet thing is Cyprus.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
We've recently had  many 'Gee, we haven't gone there in ages, let's go again' locations - Australia, Taiwan, Joburg and/or Nairobi, RDJ, St. Petersburg, etc. In addition, we've most recently hit central and Scandinavian Europe, and from history, 8 can say WRP doesn't hit the same geographic region in consecutive races (India and China excluded).

I think we might get a leg(s) on the Mediterranean. Greece is out, but maybe Italy or a Balkan state? Or an actual leg in Spain?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
My fingers are still crossed for Armenia to be visited, and I think teams could easily connect there through the Istanbul flight that Chateau posted earlier. I was there last year, and I could think of a few beautiful Pit Stop locations. :colors
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
My fingers are still crossed for Armenia to be visited, and I think teams could easily connect there through the Istanbul flight that Chateau posted earlier. I was there last year, and I could think of a few beautiful Pit Stop locations. :colors

Turkey and Armenia are virtual enemies. Also with the current Azerbaijan and Armenia conflict I doubt they visit there.
That's true, but you can still fly from Istanbul to Yerevan (I did a quick Google search). I'll remain hopeful, but I agree it is doubtful...
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #521 on: July 02, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
Two legs in Spain is possible. And maybe one in Andorra. If not, then Portugal.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #522 on: July 02, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
If they wanted to pick up a few more micro-nations, they could probably cover Vatican City and San Marino in the same leg. (Though I suspect that the Vatican folks would think it would be too frivilous to let an American game show film there.)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2011, 11:40:20 PM »
Unless we have actual info on locations, or a good reason to think it might happen, maybe we could put the rest into wishlists?? It makes it hard to find the relevant info later on. Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kathleenykl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #524 on: July 03, 2011, 01:20:30 AM »
Hi everybody, I'm new here, decided to join after 2 years of reading the forum as I may finally be able to offer some help in spoiling. Does anyone know if the teams are still in Malawi now, or they have left for the next destination? My uncle (who is also a huge fan) is in Copenhagen for the next 2 days, around the city centre, which would be excellent for spoiling if the next leg is there. I'm updating him via skype but the teams have been going unrecorded in malawi awfully long... unless the next leg is still in Africa.
Thanks  :js: