Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 507550 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
Why even fly from BKK to Phuket when BKK is a better airport.

To GET to Phuket?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2011, 08:12:56 PM »
I am just speculating, but I think they went to a really small island, similar to Season 16's visit to Seychelles. They probably right now are on their way to the next destination after this unknown Leg #4. Does anyone know what leg they probably would be on right now?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
One island chain the Race hasn't been to yet is the Maldives, an independent chain of islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean that may be completely submerged in about 40-50 years due to the rising of ocean water levels with the melting of polar ice caps in both the northern and southern hemisphere.

I've thought of that one in the past, and with the Seychelles already visited, it's still a place the Race hasn't been to.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
Why even fly from BKK to Phuket when BKK is a better airport.

To GET to Phuket?? :lol:

I meant if they were going somewhere else like Leafsfan said.

What you said peach is exactly what I was implying :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
One island chain the Race hasn't been to yet is the Maldives, an independent chain of islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean that may be completely submerged in about 40-50 years due to the rising of ocean water levels with the melting of polar ice caps in both the northern and southern hemisphere.

I've thought of that one in the past, and with the Seychelles already visited, it's still a place the Race hasn't been to.

The thing with the Maldives is, they have plenty of tourists so at least a sighting should have occurred. Someone check travel blogs etc..

It's the off season now for Maldives. There are significant less tourists than they are in winter, so less chances for a sighting.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »
Sounds reasonable to me!

....needs to rewatch that episode...

Team! Phil just tweeted, isn't there a option of checking where the tweet came from? I have no clue how to do that though  :groan:

Scratch that I learned how to do that, and if it was in fact Phil tweeting he was not in a 100 mile radius of Phuket.  :lol: :snicker:

Anyways, maybe teams went to Myanmar?

By now Phil may be at the next leg location.   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #431 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:57 AM »
Sounds reasonable to me!

....needs to rewatch that episode...

Team! Phil just tweeted, isn't there a option of checking where the tweet came from? I have no clue how to do that though  :groan:

Scratch that I learned how to do that, and if it was in fact Phil tweeting he was not in a 100 mile radius of Phuket.  :lol: :snicker:

Anyways, maybe teams went to Myanmar?

By now Phil may be at the next leg location.   :duno:

We will soon be finding out. I assume they will be moving onto a new continent if they have not already, and if it is europe, we will most likely get many sightings.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #432 on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:15 AM »
Leafsfan has given me an idea.. Does anyone know if you search for tweets by location, does it base the location on the actual GPS coordinates of the device or just the registered location/home of the user?

The widest radius you can have is 2500 kilometers, so if its by GPS location, we should be able to narrow down where Phil tweeted from through trial and error. If its by his registered location, we're out of luck again!

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #433 on: June 27, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
Leafsfan has given me an idea.. Does anyone know if you search for tweets by location, does it base the location on the actual GPS coordinates of the device or just the registered location/home of the user?

The widest radius you can have is 2500 kilometers, so if its by GPS location, we should be able to narrow down where Phil tweeted from through trial and error. If its by his registered location, we're out of luck again!

it doesnt necessarily have to be phil.  it could be any of his assistants just to throw us off.  an example would be when obama makes a facebook update.  i dont think its obama making those. 

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #434 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:09 AM »
Maybe they're trying to do The Amazing Race Asia. *pun intended* :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
I don't think Soekarno-Hatta flies to Phuket. At least not very often.

However if they were connecting somewhere else they would have done so from BKK. It is the third busiest airport in all Asia. Like TS was saying they probably accessed some islands or other remote areas from Phuket.

UPDATE: It appears that HKT in Phuket mainly flies to Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, and Kuala Lumpur. All locations that could be reached from Jakarta and certainly Bangkok as well.

Let's talk specifics here. From CGK to HKT directly, there is one flight per day, QZ7744 1600 1850.  Using Bangkok as a connecting point, there were 20 flights per day from Bangkok to Phuket on both June 24 and 25. If teams did go to Phuket from Jakarta, which would the better choice have been (unless a team were in the perfect time frame and availability to get QZ7744)?

Another route to Phuket is connecting in Singapore. There are 10 daily flights from Singapore into Phuket
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:50:45 AM by apskip »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #436 on: June 27, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
I did notice that before the race Phil would tweet from his Iphone. That of course doesn't work overseas so now they say "via web"
The most useful info I think you can get from that is that either it is someone at an office somewhere doing it for him or he is in a hotel. He would certainly not be doing so during a leg. I guess it is possible at this point that leg 5 (the one after Thailand) was complete when he tweeted that last night.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
However, the tour company would not be emphasizing promoting Malawi if they were going to do the leg in Zambia.

But hey, I would be all in favor of TWO legs right here!! TBC anyone?? :lol: (pure wish, not even spec, don't get excited)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #438 on: June 28, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
Peach, was that just speculation when you said that Kenya was the 5th leg or is there any info behind that?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
Peach, as I suggested in the locations thread, I think there is likely to be another African leg after Malawi simply so the teams can get to a better place for flights out of the region, such as Johannesburg. Otherwise, there's going to need to be a leg after Malawi where teams are likely to have a long period of travel, and I suspect that your speculation about Kenya (or Tanzania, or or Mozambique, etc.) being the previous leg may well be on target. This is all just my opinion folks!
-- theschnauzers

Offline GelliBeanz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #440 on: June 28, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
When I was first starting to sift through social sites I had found a post by a man who had said something about having seen the Amazing Race teams .. or something like that.  This was on FB and a couple of days after they'd sort of disappeared.  Didn't say where he was on his page, but I peeked at a few of his friends and they all said they were in Kenya.  I didn't post at the time as I figured it'd show up here if it were anything.  Now I am really wondering if there wasn't something to it.  :umn:
Striving daily to be the woman, who upon waking, the devil goes .. "oh God .. she's up!"

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #441 on: June 28, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Do you think you could find it again?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #442 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Can you find that post or the member and send it me please? You can email me (address in my profile) since you cannot PM yet, and we don't post FB names...

And :welcome2: to RFF, LOVE your name!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline GelliBeanz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #443 on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
I'm looking through my history files as we speak!  lol
Striving daily to be the woman, who upon waking, the devil goes .. "oh God .. she's up!"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
One more post and you can PM me :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline GelliBeanz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
 :yess:   Okay finally found him and sent you the link to his page.  It's not much but ya' never know!  :)

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
i thinnk eruope next

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
Leg 1- Taiwan
Leg 2- Indonésia
Leg 3- Indonésia
Leg 4- Thailand (Phuket)
Leg 5- Kenia
Leg 6- Malawi

Leg 7 - Africa
Leg 8 - South America
Leg 9 - South America
Leg 10 - Central America
Leg 11 - Central America.

What do you guys think about this possible route? No Europe will be surprising for sure.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
But do you have any basis for believing there will be no Europe?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
I think we will see Europe.... :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule: