Author Topic: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*  (Read 507506 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: TAR 19 Speculation and Discussion *of SPOILERS*
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
Notes:
Apparently there was a lot of team confusion, almost all but maybe 2 or 3 of the teams had to leave the Pitstop to go back and do something. Although they don't look in a huge rush? :duno:

Perhaps they checked in then went to settle a cab fare? Does that still happen?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure they had to walk to the Pitstop. It's not far from the Detour location. In fact so close that with that orphanage stop in between I wonder if some went straight to the Pitstop Brent and Caite style.

Is the AA couple walking away from the mat?

This pic looks odd. I can't see Ethan's right arm and it looks like there is a bite out of his torso :lol:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:55:32 PM by georgiapeach »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
IMHO Turkey is unlikely. There's a direct flight from Jakarta to Istanbul at 6 pm every day, so I doubt they have to go through Thailand.

On Leg 2, they had to go to the pitstop on foot if I'm not mistaken.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
We know that the SurferDudes ran from in front of the hospital to the PitStop. So no taxis. Whatever it was, nearly everyone had to do it. ???

And the photo looks odd because it is a panoramic shot...perhaps there is a frame missing? I think the photographer got yelled at by production right about then too. :ascared
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
Teams are now ready to take off from CGK (QZ 7716) and scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at 8 pm local time..

If Bangkok is connection point, here are the options they may take to after:
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/129
Maybe Colombo??  :duno:
There is a flight to Istanbul at 11:35pm...or connect to city in Thailand?

Maybe it's too far if the 5th leg will be held in Africa. Yeah, maybe Chiang Mai or Phuket, but I hope not.. Thailand is just too much  :lol:

If they visit Africa, it would probally be on the western side of the continent, the only safe countries left in that area are Cape Verde, Sierra Leone, Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Sao Tome, Gabon, Congo Republic, and Angola.  Most of the others are in chaos.  Don't mind a revisit to Ghana (Lake Volta) and Morocco in northern Africa.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »
IMHO Turkey is unlikely. There's a direct flight from Jakarta to Istanbul at 6 pm every day, so I doubt they have to go through Thailand.

On Leg 2, they had to go to the pitstop on foot if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't heard anything about Turkey but several tweets and sightings place teams in or on the way to Bangkok.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
Sri Lanka these days is regarded as safe enough it's probably insurable again. (There was a pretty significant round of Tamil terrorism after TAR 6 that likely prevented a repeat visit for a long time but it seems like the latest government crackdown on that is holding.)

Maybe one of these days, they'll get permission for a Bhutan leg. Seems like the government there is slightly more interested in the outside world and global tourism these days.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
Here's my stab at what is happening (or has happened!)   :waves:

We got a report of two male/male teams ate CGK (Jakarta airport) going to BKK (Bangkok) posted yesterday at 9:37 pm (Pacific time) by domel.  That would mean they were spotted at about 11:30 am Friday in the Jakarta airport.  REalityTV already noted the three possible flights these teams could take.  The arrival times in BKK for those three flights are 4:05 pm, 4:15 pm, and 8:00 pm.

Later we hear the stinky tale of a team on a flight from BKK to Phuket posted today at 6:36 am (Pacific time) by Peony

Just got off a flight from Bangkok to Phuket. The guy next to my girfriend Kaisri had some kickin BO. After we landed I realized why he choose not to shower. He was part of the filming Crew for the amazing race. One of the teams were two seats in front of us. I dont watch the show but I will to see which team it was.

That aircraft exiting would have happened at about 8:20 pm Friday at the Phuket airport.  As previously noted by domel, that would have been flight FD3031 which took off from BKK at 7:00 pm.  So one or both of the two male/male teams could have made that flight had they been either of the two flights from CGK to BKK that landed at 4:05 or 4:15 pm.

My guess is that the two (or three) leading teams have hit an Hours of Operation stop at Phuket while the other 5 teams catch up.  Those teams should have arrived 3 or 4 hours later on TG 485 or TG 225.  Further supposing the HoOp opens up in the morning at 7 am then we can expect racing tweets to begin thereafter:  Doing the time conversion that is right now!   5:00 pm Pacific Time   :horsey: :horsey:

Remember:   Beaches!

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
Back so soon to Phuket? I would think elimination station also.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #359 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
Back so soon to Phuket? I would think elimination station also.

Nothing is confirmed so far. I believe that teams have connected to another city through Bangkok. We shall see.

If they are connecting somewhere else from BKK we need to determine what availabilities there are departing after 20.00 or so. Then destinations like Singapore and Malaysia, etc. can be eliminated because they could have gone there from Jakarta.

There is also little point in considering places like Tokyo and Shanghai that would not flow in the general westerly direction.
Options that I see are: Amsterdam, Paris, Istanbul, Frankfurt and Vienna.

However Phuket still seems more likely IMO.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:47:05 PM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #360 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
India is rarely visited on this cycle of filming. They are in full swing monsoon season. The only summer filming that visited India was TAR 13 which was oddly filmed in April and May before the rains began.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #361 on: June 24, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
In the location spoilers thread, I said some hours ago:
Do we know if eliminated teams usually travel to ES with a camera crew in tow as described by that traveler on FB? That's the part that makes me wonder if this is a team that has managed to pull ahead by making some very close connections.

I paid attention to what that FB entry said, and didn't make assumptions about Phukit being this season's ES.
Last time the Race went there, it was also the ES. And it's been 10 years since the Race's original visit to the Phukit-Krabi area, and I wouldn't be surprised if this may be TPTB way of nodding the 10th anniversary and maybe getting a Flashback to leg 10 of the original Race, which is some ways is still the most difficult and beautiful single leg I think the show's ever done. This is speculation on my part, but I've been sort of expecting something like this at some point this time around, and the Phukit area would be a great place for that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:51:18 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Options that I see are: Amsterdam, Paris, Istanbul, Frankfurt and Vienna.

Istanbul....I like it!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »
I think the last time they visted Phuket was in season 14, not sure though.

@Prophet, anything is possible.  :lol:

I am sure. Yes, AR14 had a visit to Phuket. AR1 did too as stataed by theSchnauzers and the finale of Amazing Race Asia 3 was in Phuket. Amazing Race Asia 1 went very close, but did not stop in Phuket.

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Phuket =  Beaches    :tup:

every time the words phuket and beaches are mentioned, i think back to mel and mike..

Offline Heliox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #365 on: June 24, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
Husband will be in Munich, Venice and Amsterdam this coming week.. he will be spending time in airports and he knows the race is on. One of these years he has to cross paths with the racers in Europe!! I hope.

What about one of the baltic states being visited after Thailand. Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania would be great change from the Asian start to the race.
OR Istanbul.. would be cool too!

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »

What the heck happened to Ethan's Body? There's a huge hole in the right side of his body and his right arm is gone! You can also see a woman through the hole!!!

Photoshop?
Bring on the 21!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #367 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
I suspect we'll have another leg in Asia; it's a) a giant leap and b) fairly early for such a leap in (comparatively, other westward non-13 races hit their second continent on leg 7 (15) or 8 (10, 18).

As far as 'beachy' locales, Sri Lanka and Timor are out, and between Malaysia (Sabha) and Thailand (Phuket Province), the latter has greater access out to other locations through BKK. Or it could be the ES location and they're really going to the Maldives or summat  :lol:

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #368 on: June 24, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »

What the heck happened to Ethan's Body? There's a huge hole in the right side of his body and his right arm is gone! You can also see a woman through the hole!!!

Photoshop?

i thought that too...but no, it is a panoramic shot.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #369 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
can someone explain to me all this technical stuff and Ethan being invisible and stuff?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
What makes you rule out Sri Lanka, I can't see Timor because of safety, but sticking to the beach theme Sri Lanka would be a definite possibility, which I believe has the most international flights arriving from Thailand (besides India) a week.

Ps. We finally got our icon for our webpages!!!  :yess:

The only reason I rule out Sri Lanka is because WRP is generally stricter regarding safety issues (ie Indonesia only now being visited). Beyond that, it's not so much that I don't think Sri Lanka will host a leg but that I think Phuket is more likely to do so, what with the ease in getting to Bangkok (and then nearly anywhere) from there.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #371 on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
One thing to remember is that just because there may be a direct/non-stop flight to the next destination doesn't mean that a Team would be allowed to take it if seats were available. Indications from Racers past are that there are far more restrictions on what airlines they can and cannot use for many legs than what makes it onto the screen.

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »

Here's my stab at what is happening (or has happened!)   

My guess is that the two (or three) leading teams have hit an Hours of Operation stop at Phuket while the other 5 teams catch up.  Those teams should have arrived 3 or 4 hours later on TG 485 or TG 225.  Further supposing the HoOp opens up in the morning at 7 am then we can expect racing tweets to begin thereafter

:groan: I know it's just spec and maybe I'm just reading too much into my own theory, but with each new bit of info that we are finding out, it seems pretty clear to me what's going on here:

-1 or 2 teams only were spotted en route to Phuket
-2 teams were just eliminated in Indonesia
-they were with a production person but no one reported the team(s) being filmed
-Ko Samui was last season's ES, and it wasn't the first time this ES has been used
-there are at least four daily non-stop flights to Ko Samui from Phuket, and to get from Jakarta to Ko Samui you have to go through Bangkok and from there either directly or via Phuket
-they did a leg in Phuket just two years ago on TAR14
-with all of the sightings being reported, there isn't one that mentions all of the other teams being spotted heading toward Phuket, and if so many people have spotted them throughout Indonesia, how could they possibly make their way through an airport like Bangkok without at least one person tweeting about it?

To me, the most logical explanation is that these are sightings of the eliminated team(s) heading toward ES in Ko Samui. Am I just drinking too much of my own Kool-Aid? Perhaps. But it seems like a slam dunk to me what's going on here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
^^agreed. Only 3 teams were elim in Indonesia, as far as we know.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »
I agree with this, I think its much more likely that this is what the sightings were. Is it possible then that the remaining racers are still at the pit stop? Or will they have begun leg 4 by now?