Author Topic: TAR 19 Contestant Speculation and Spoilers  (Read 237617 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 19 Contestant Speculation and Spoilers
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks to our Taipei crew!!  :hearts:

And there are more to come for all the teams, I am just a bit on overload at the moment so my being slow is all my fault!!  :-[
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Some thoughts about whether it's Karl Malone - don't know if anyone has seen this YouTube video from last summer - The Gerrard's with Karl and Kay Malone.  Gives some clearer side views of Karl than in the pix above, plus shows their relative heights.  I'm still new to RFF, and I'm a little unclear whether there's any problem providing a link to this video (which is why I put in the title), so please let me know if I've made a mistake. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDyTkBXQDY

Based on her eyebrows and ear shape, not to mention general features, it sure looks like Kay Malone in the most recent pictures above arriving at the mat.  I'd say the picture from LAX of him looking at the camera sure looks like Karl.  The one above, as they come into the mat, not so much, though if you look at him on the video - maybe.  He does seem to look different in general if you catch him from the front vs. the side, and maybe the picture above just got him at a bad moment or a bad angle.  The mustache/beard is his style, the relative heights of him and her seem right.

Have to agree that in the photo with Phil, he doesn't look quite as tall as you might expect.  However, he's got on a good size backpack, so maybe is slouching; at 47, could have lost a bit of height; might never have actually been 6'9" to begin with; Phil could be wearing cowboy boots.

If it's not actually the Malones, it's a couple that sure looks just like them!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
Thanks lovetherace!! That's a big help!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
Way to go, everyone! :hearts:
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
not denying that the orange couple in 7a is karl and kay malone...but the guy looks way to young to be karl malone.  and to be honest, it does't really look like him.  could be just me being confused though.  and sorry peach if this is in the wrong page.  i posted it here since the caps were in this thread.

I agree with this. It just doesn't look like Karl Malone.
I can't comment on whether it is Karl Malone, but I can comment on the height of Kay Kinsey Malone. She appears to be about one foot shorter than Karl, which would make her about 5'9" maximum. There is no way she could be 6' or taller based on a picture I have seen of her in standing in front of him.
I'm kind of uneasy with our identification of Karl Malone. The guy in the pictures doesn't look 6' 9" tall. He looks at most 4 or 5 inches taller than his wife. Maybe his wife is well over 6' tall, but that would be pretty unusual for a beauty pageant winner. Also, while the other racers are at varying distances from the wall, comparing them to the darker lines on the wall in the background, the general feeling is that they aren't that much shorter than the Karl Malone in our pictures. However, it could be the camera angles since they are at various locations along that wall. The security guard near the door appears to tower over everyone else since presumably he is closer to the photographer and nearest to the wall.

On the other hand, our identification of Karl Malone has gotten a fair amount of attention and has been in the Salt Lake City newspaper. If Karl is just going through his day to day life back in Louisiana (I read that he works for Louisiana Tech University these days), I imagine someone would have called it to his attention. In that case, I expect we would have heard a denial from him about the rumors of his being on the Amazing Race. The lack of a denial by this point lends some credibility to our identification.

Kay Kinsley Malone is about 1 foot shorter than Karl Malone, so her maximum height would be 5'9" and she cannot be over 6' tall.

To settle the height of Phil Keoghan definitely,
Height: 5' 10¾" (1.80 m)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:35:32 PM by apskip »

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
My impression re: their relative heights is a little different.  Her head seems to be level with his shoulder in both pictures , which would make a 12" height difference (and her 5'9" height) reasonable (and also looks about right in the video).  From the picture of them running to the mat, it's pretty clear he's a very big guy, and in that picture it definitely looks like he's much more than 4 or 5 inches taller than her.

What I also found interesting was the ring she was wearing on her left hand in the video. She's got a couple on, but one of them is pretty chunky, and it made me think about the ring he's wearing in the LAX picture that people were wondering about.

More of a question to me is Phil's height in the picture at the mat.  He looks a little taller than I'd expect relative to both of them, if it is the Malones.

Good point about the lack of denial about this identification!

Offline Lucy980906

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
Introducing 1/2 of the Pink Team: Kanoelani Gibson

She was the runner-up in the Miss America 2004 pageant to Ericka Dunlap of TAR15.

Some more photos...

I'll try to organize them better when my computer decides to work with me.
Well,Erika...

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »

Just a little empirical comparative analysis........The gentleman is about 3" taller than Phil. Phil is ~5'11" tall, according to apskip post above. So that makes this gentleman ~ 6"3" tall. The lady is ~4" shorter than Phil. That makes her ~ 5'7" tall.

If someone with lots better photoshop skils than I wants a little project............go to TAR 18, Episode 7 and grab a screencap of FT/BE and Phil at the mat in Varanasi. Crop out the Taiwanese General. Then glue that photo to the one above using the crown of Phil's skull as a median point. Then you will see the height difference between Phil at 5'11" and BE at 6'9" and FT at 6'3". Looks like a job for Chateau to me.........:)

I suggest the Varanasi pitstop for a couple of reason........the ground is very uniform and level. The background is pretty light and will provide very good definiton between background the the tops of people's heads. Not a perfect solution.....but good enough to rule out Karl and Kay Malone.................but then again......Phil COULD be standing on a box in the photo above for the naysayers.......
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
People do round up their physical measurement statistics and athletes in particular do (such as height in the NBA and NFL) to intimidate opponents. Also, since I have lost about 1.5 inches in height over the past decade, it could have happened to Karl Malone too. He could only be 6'6" now.

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
I don't know if you've figured out yet if the girl in yellow is Chinese/Thai/Filipino or what, but she looks Chinese to me. I read somewhere that she could speak fluent Chinese? I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then it sort of points towards her being Chinese or Thai (there's a lot of people in Thailand who are of Chinese descent.)

Just my two cents :)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »
I found a blog about the Utah Jazz basketball team that has a lengthy post about our discussion on whether Karl and Kay Malone are on TAR 19. I wasn't sure where to put it, but this seems like the best place.

http://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

Since he quotes us extensively, I think it's OK to repost parts of it here. It's far too long to cut and paste. First, a nice description of us:

Investigative Report: Are Karl and Kay Malone on the next season of “The Amazing Race”?
July 4, 2011

Preface: Let me just say, the Amazing Race community over at Reality Fan Forum is ridiculous. They have fans all over the world watching for and following the teams as they travel, while others rule in and rule out destinations based on flights schedules, while others still monitor Facebook and Twitter for sightings, while an array of translators fluent in various languages translate those Facebook statuses and tweets. Amazing.

Then a long section follows with parts of our deliberations, his brief comments to tie it together and most but not all of the pictures followed by this conclusion:

It’s funny…they could’ve just asked someone/an NBA fan who knows what Karl looks like for a definitive answer.

As of present time, RFF is still identifying this team as “Karl and Kay Malone.”

So yeah, I could’ve just posted the clear pic and said, “It’s not true,” but I figured some people might need the extra reading given the lockout and all.

Well…the false hope was fun while it lasted.

It appears that he's decided that it isn't Karl Malone based on one picture of Karl and Kay running in Taiwan where Karl is wearing a orange bandanna. I agree that's the one that looks least like Karl, but most of the others do and the pictures of Kay are all strikingly similar to her, but he doesn't factor that in.

As an aside, if he's going to quote me about the pictures at the Taiwan airport, it would have been nice if he included those too. I look dumb out of context.  :(

I guess we'll find out in September who's right.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:42:40 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2011, 07:50:50 AM »
I found a blog about the Utah Jazz basketball team that has a lengthy post about our discussion on whether Karl and Kay Malone are on TAR 19. I wasn't sure where to put it, but this seems like the best place.

http://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/

Since he quotes us extensively, I think it's OK to repost parts of it here. It's far too long to cut and paste. First, a nice description of us:

Investigative Report: Are Karl and Kay Malone on the next season of “The Amazing Race”?
July 4, 2011

Preface: Let me just say, the Amazing Race community over at Reality Fan Forum is ridiculous. They have fans all over the world watching for and following the teams as they travel, while others rule in and rule out destinations based on flights schedules, while others still monitor Facebook and Twitter for sightings, while an array of translators fluent in various languages translate those Facebook statuses and tweets. Amazing.

Then a long section follows with parts of our deliberations, his brief comments to tie it together and most but not all of the pictures followed by this conclusion:

It’s funny…they could’ve just asked someone/an NBA fan who knows what Karl looks like for a definitive answer.

As of present time, RFF is still identifying this team as “Karl and Kay Malone.”

So yeah, I could’ve just posted the clear pic and said, “It’s not true,” but I figured some people might need the extra reading given the lockout and all.

Well…the false hope was fun while it lasted.

It appears that he's decided that it isn't Karl Malone based on one picture of Karl and Kay running in Taiwan where Karl is wearing a orange bandanna. I agree that's the one that looks least like Karl, but most of the others do and the pictures of Kay are all strikingly similar to her, but he doesn't factor that in.

As an aside, if he's going to quote me about the pictures at the Taiwan airport, it would have been nice if he included those too. I look dumb out of context.  :(

I guess we'll find out in September who's right.

This person that writes that blog is implying that everyone on this website is gay. You know, I am very aware of what Karl Malone looks like. I watch a lot of basketball and have watched Karl play many times. This genius can read my previous posts. I have said it the whole time. It is not Karl Malone. This blogger thinks its some new kind of revelation.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
one word to describe this: faints
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
This person that writes that blog is implying that everyone on this website is gay. You know, I am very aware of what Karl Malone looks like. I watch a lot of basketball and have watched Karl play many times. This genius can read my previous posts. I have said it the whole time. It is not Karl Malone. This blogger thinks its some new kind of revelation.

I missed that part :lol:

But still,  (:;) blogger!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
So...guess we'll see? For now, the "alleged" Karl and Kay??  :ascared

Hope they are having fun with it if it isn't true!  :-[
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »
You don't believe this guy over our detectives do you?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
You don't believe this guy over our detectives do you?

He's undoubtedly more familiar with Karl Malone than we are. I still have a few issues with it being Karl, but it looks clearly like Kay to me. How many roughly 6' 9" guys that look like Karl Malone could she know?

Well, Karl and Kay's children are all under 20. Karl is the youngest of 9 children, so any of his brothers would be older than him. However, Karl apparently was the father of 3 children when he was young. One is Demetrius Bell of the Buffalo Bills in the NFL. He is 27 and is listed as 6' 5" tall and 305 pounds. He's a lineman and in pictures has a broad heavy lineman's build, very different than Karl, so I don't think it's him. Reportedly Demetrius and Karl are not close at all. The other two are twins, Cheryl and Daryl Ford, now aged 30. Cheryl plays in the WNBA for the Detroit Shock and is listed as 6' 3" and 195 pounds. I cannot find any information about Daryl Bell, but from the others, I'd guess he's well over 6 feet as well. I did see a story that Karl and Kay are close with the Ford twins and that they are considered part of the family.

I still think we're most likely seeing Karl, but those are the other possibilities I can think of.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
I was pretty convinced by that thing Chateau did with the lines on his face. :tup:

I guess we'll have to wait for more evidence if we are still unconvinced... :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
Since we know this guy is reading us over here at RFF- Hello, blogger, I am a basketball fan, playing and watching the game for almost 18 years now, and I believe that it is indeed Karl Malone.

While I'm not the biggest Jazz fan in the world, I have seen enough to convince me that it is him, mainly because of the fact that his teammate is Kay Malone, and because of the thing Chateau did with the lines.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
Here's another one if you haven't had enough already  :res:

Why don't they just call Karl ask him?   :lol:

Added July 14th:   Munch Munch Munch Munch   :-[

That's the sound of me eating crow on this one  :lol:  It's not Karl Malone   :'(

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:32:04 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
Both men also have a wide nose and pointy ears. The evidence piles up.

Also of note- Surely someone as high profile as Karl Malone and the Utah Jazz would have heard and debunked this by now if it was just a rumour, wouldn't they?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
Both men also have a wide nose and pointy ears. The evidence piles up.

Also of note- Surely someone as high profile as Karl Malone and the Utah Jazz would have heard and debunked this by now if it was just a rumour, wouldn't they?

I made that comment earlier about Karl denying that he was on the Amazing Race if he was not involved and it was quoted in the blog. Apparently it doesn't carry much weight with him. The lack of a denial remains strong proof for me. Since the Salt Lake City newspaper carried a story with our identification of Karl Malone, I'd have to believe they would have tried to contact him to find out. They must have his phone number or email address.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
I think we would know if we were wrong. :angel

I'm going with Chateau until we hear otherwise!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
And now in a 4th of July special, I present a member of the surfer dudes: Andy Finch.

Thanks to the blog found by Plaidmoon, peach asked me to look for possible skiers instead of surfers. Andy is a pro snowboarder does dable in skating and surfing. He's married and lives in Lake Tahoe.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
And the awesome North found him in about 5 minutes!! :jumpy:

Take a look at his website here:

http://www.andyfinch.net/andy-finch/

The screencap on the left is from the video.

North is on a roll, two down!! Great work by you and Plaidmoon, thank you both!!

Now.... :lol: go find his partner!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule: