Author Topic: Best Amazing Race Contestant ever  (Read 39735 times)

Offline asar

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Best Amazing Race Contestant ever
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »
Well for me myself it's very easy to say. Who would I do not want to compete against in amazing race and the answer is Colin.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »

I disagree with you that Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny are great racers. I think that Charla/Mirna's popularity overshadow the fact that they were not good in any facet on the game. They somehow made the final 3 of TAR 11 which I still don't understand and they were 6th on TAR 5 which too me does not warrant an appearance on All Stars. You might be huge fans of Charla and Mirna but they were not great physically, mentally and they always argued among themselves and with others. They certainly had luck and they played the game incorrectly in my mind. They always would pay someone to show them the way to a place, too me I think that is a shady tactic that should not be allowed on the show. I also would argue that Oswald and Danny weren't great mentally or physically, although they certainly were superior to Charla/Mirna. They were the typical team that goes far because they stayed calm and didn't really make any enemies except for Eric and Danielle. You can argue that they were a great team because they finished 4th twice but you can also argue that they were more of a good team than a great team. Besides them only Uchenna/Joyce who were only average on TAR 11, Rob and Amber who were eliminated very early and Dustin and Kandice who are great competitors, who else provided any challenge? Teri and Ian, Bill and Joe, John Vito and Jill, Kevin and Drew and David and Mary were not even in the top 3 best teams on their season. Compared to TAR 18 this all star season was basically a joke. Only two or three teams into the middle of the show had a chance to win besides Eric and Danielle. On The Amazing Race 18, you can only argue that 1 team had no business being on the show and that is Mel and Mike. Kent and Vyxsin were probably on the show because of popularity although they performed decently on both seasons, Zev/Justin and Gary/Mallory did not finish very highly on their season's but they proved on TAR 18 that they were worth of being casted. Kris and Amanda were eliminated because of a blind U-Turn on their season. They might have not performed well on either season but they were amazing physical competitors. Ron and Christina might have been another team that was casted for their popularity but they did pretty well on their season. But seriously look at the competitors on the two all star seasons. The best from TAR 11 were Dustin/Kandice, Rob/Amber, Uchenna/Joyce, Oswald/Danny and Eric/Danielle. The best from TAR 18 were Kisha/Jen, FT/BE, Margie/Luke, Jet/Cord, Gary/Mallory and Zev/Justin. Come on, do you really think that Season 11 was the harder season to win on? Season 11 had a couple of good competitors but it doesn't hold a candle to TAR 18 because of the amount of Middle Level/Lower Level teams that were casted.

amazing race fan,

I think you need to read more carefully. I do not even like Charla and Mirna as a team and never have. However, the question you posed was whether they could have won AR11 and the answer is that the finale can be highly luck-based so they could have won just that leg. Charla being short is no disadvantage in taxis and if they had a good taxi driver they would have gotten off at the proper entrance to the Park where the Finish Line was with enough advantage to hold off either of the other 2 teams they would have been the AR11 winner. Improbable, but very possible.

I am in the camp with others above that says that AR11 had a better overall group of racers than AR18 based on their original race. Somewhere back in the history of RFF once the teams were known, I calculated and posted that the average leg ending position history of the AR11 racers from their original racers was superior to that of AR11. Remember that you had Amanda/Chris (8th in AR11 and you know what they did in AR18), Zev/Justin (9th in AR15) and Mel/Mike (who at #5 in AR14 were about as competitive as David and Mary #6 in AR10 in both their races), Gary/Mallory (#6 in AR17), Kent/Vyxsin (#5 in AR12) in AR18 vs. John Vito/Jill (#5 in AR1) . In the middle groups for both races were Kevin/Drew (#4 in AR1), Oswald/Danny (#4 in AR2), Dustin/Kandice (#4 in AR10) vs. LaKisha/Jen (#4 in AR14) and Nate/Herb (#4 in AR15). The elite group of Final 3 racers in their original race were Joe/Bill (#3 in AR1), Ian/Teri (#2 in AR3), Rob/Amber (#2 in AR7), and Uchenna/Joyce (#1 in AR7) vs. Margie/Luke (#3 in AR14), Jet/Cord (#2 in AR16), Ron/Christina (#2 in AR12) and Jaime/Cara (#2 in AR14).  You have to come up with a special rating for Eric/Danielle no lower than (2+8)/2 = 5; I think in view of Eric's dominance that an assigned placement of #3 in AR9 is fairer.

So, let's add all of those prior race positions for AR11 (result is an average ordinal position of 3.45) and for AR18 (result is an average ordinal placement of 4.45). A difference of 1 average ordinal placement is huge. I rest my case!  

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »

I disagree with you that Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny are great racers. I think that Charla/Mirna's popularity overshadow the fact that they were not good in any facet on the game. They somehow made the final 3 of TAR 11 which I still don't understand and they were 6th on TAR 5 which too me does not warrant an appearance on All Stars. You might be huge fans of Charla and Mirna but they were not great physically, mentally and they always argued among themselves and with others. They certainly had luck and they played the game incorrectly in my mind. They always would pay someone to show them the way to a place, too me I think that is a shady tactic that should not be allowed on the show. I also would argue that Oswald and Danny weren't great mentally or physically, although they certainly were superior to Charla/Mirna. They were the typical team that goes far because they stayed calm and didn't really make any enemies except for Eric and Danielle. You can argue that they were a great team because they finished 4th twice but you can also argue that they were more of a good team than a great team. Besides them only Uchenna/Joyce who were only average on TAR 11, Rob and Amber who were eliminated very early and Dustin and Kandice who are great competitors, who else provided any challenge? Teri and Ian, Bill and Joe, John Vito and Jill, Kevin and Drew and David and Mary were not even in the top 3 best teams on their season. Compared to TAR 18 this all star season was basically a joke. Only two or three teams into the middle of the show had a chance to win besides Eric and Danielle. On The Amazing Race 18, you can only argue that 1 team had no business being on the show and that is Mel and Mike. Kent and Vyxsin were probably on the show because of popularity although they performed decently on both seasons, Zev/Justin and Gary/Mallory did not finish very highly on their season's but they proved on TAR 18 that they were worth of being casted. Kris and Amanda were eliminated because of a blind U-Turn on their season. They might have not performed well on either season but they were amazing physical competitors. Ron and Christina might have been another team that was casted for their popularity but they did pretty well on their season. But seriously look at the competitors on the two all star seasons. The best from TAR 11 were Dustin/Kandice, Rob/Amber, Uchenna/Joyce, Oswald/Danny and Eric/Danielle. The best from TAR 18 were Kisha/Jen, FT/BE, Margie/Luke, Jet/Cord, Gary/Mallory and Zev/Justin. Come on, do you really think that Season 11 was the harder season to win on? Season 11 had a couple of good competitors but it doesn't hold a candle to TAR 18 because of the amount of Middle Level/Lower Level teams that were casted.

amazing race fan,

I think you need to read more carefully. I do not even like Charla and Mirna as a team and never have. However, the question you posed was whether they could have won AR11 and the answer is that the finale can be highly luck-based so they could have won just that leg. Charla being short is no disadvantage in taxis and if they had a good taxi driver they would have gotten off at the proper entrance to the Park where the Finish Line was with enough advantage to hold off either of the other 2 teams they would have been the AR11 winner. Improbable, but very possible.

I am in the camp with others above that says that AR11 had a better overall group of racers than AR18 based on their original race. Somewhere back in the history of RFF once the teams were known, I calculated and posted that the average leg ending position history of the AR11 racers from their original racers was superior to that of AR11. Remember that you had Amanda/Chris (8th in AR11 and you know what they did in AR18), Zev/Justin (9th in AR15) and Mel/Mike (who at #5 in AR14 were about as competitive as David and Mary #6 in AR10 in both their races), Gary/Mallory (#6 in AR17), Kent/Vyxsin (#5 in AR12) in AR18 vs. John Vito/Jill (#5 in AR1) . In the middle groups for both races were Kevin/Drew (#4 in AR1), Oswald/Danny (#4 in AR2), Dustin/Kandice (#4 in AR10) vs. LaKisha/Jen (#4 in AR14) and Nate/Herb (#4 in AR15). The elite group of Final 3 racers in their original race were Joe/Bill (#3 in AR1), Ian/Teri (#2 in AR3), Rob/Amber (#2 in AR7), and Uchenna/Joyce (#1 in AR7) vs. Margie/Luke (#3 in AR14), Jet/Cord (#2 in AR16), Ron/Christina (#2 in AR12) and Jaime/Cara (#2 in AR14).  You have to come up with a special rating for Eric/Danielle no lower than (2+8)/2 = 5; I think in view of Eric's dominance that an assigned placement of #3 in AR9 is fairer.

So, let's add all of those prior race positions for AR11 (result is an average ordinal position of 3.45) and for AR18 (result is an average ordinal placement of 4.45). A difference of 1 average ordinal placement is huge. I rest my case!  

Charla and Mirna could have won but they in no way or form deserved to win.

Your statistics about TAR 11 might be correct but I am not basing my opinion off of that. A lot of the reason that you say that TAR 11 is better is because of the position they placed in their original season. I think that stat is completely overrated. Zev/Justin and Gary/Mallory were among the 3 or 4 best throughout TAR 18 even though they did not compete that well on their seasons. I also don't agree with what levels you put each team in but that is really irrelevant. I just think that TAR 18 had much more depth of a field or racers than TAR11.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Your statistics about TAR 11 might be correct but I am not basing my opinion off of that. A lot of the reason that you say that TAR 11 is better is because of the position they placed in their original season. I think that stat is completely overrated. Zev/Justin and Gary/Mallory were among the 3 or 4 best throughout TAR 18 even though they did not compete that well on their seasons. I also don't agree with what levels you put each team in but that is really irrelevant. I just think that TAR 18 had much more depth of a field or racers than TAR11.

I agree again, because of the fact that many TAR18 racers had been eliminated because of bad luck the strength of these teams cannot be purely looked at from a prior placements standpoint.

But I believe there would be a greater placement improvement for the season 18 teams. Because you see teams like Rob and Amber and Uchenna and Joyce slipping greatly and teams like Zev and Justin and Gallory rising greatly.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »
How'd this topic turn into All Stars vs. Unfinished Business?

On topic: I haven't seen The Amazing Race Asia 2 so I can't really say much about it, but what about Rovilson and Marc? They have the greatest average out of all the seasons. Compare their 1.42 to Eric & Jeremy's 1.75.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »

On topic: I haven't seen The Amazing Race Asia 2 so I can't really say much about it, but what about Rovilson and Marc? They have the greatest average out of all the seasons. Compare their 1.42 to Eric & Jeremy's 1.75.

They were on a pretty weak season if you ask me. I thought Richard and Richard were the best team ever on TAR Asia. They were no doubt very good though. I would like to see Marc and Rovilson and Richard and Richard go up against the best of TAR instead of a weak team like Mel/Mike.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »

They were on a pretty weak season if you ask me. I thought Richard and Richard were the best team ever on TAR Asia. They were no doubt very good though. I would like to see Marc and Rovilson and Richard and Richard go up against the best of TAR instead of a weak team like Mel/Mike.

TAR: World Cup Edition. :lol:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »

TAR: World Cup Edition. :lol:

I would love to see this. Get a few of the best teams from each series (No room for fan favorites) and see how they do.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 01:57:22 AM »
I'm planning to stay out of this discussion simply because it is next to impossible to decipher the standard by which to make such a judgment, and just as importantly, the Race requires teams of two, not solo one-person teams.

And many of us have never had the opportunity to see all of the episodes of all of the regional versions, and the differences between the regional versions and original TAR is another factor that makes it hard to judge.

I'll make one additional comment. While I may have been one of the few, I did predict that Eric and Danielle would win TAR All-Stars before that season began airing, and I did base that prediction on the status of Eric-Jeremy as to their average leg placement in TAR 9, and my suspicion that he'd be able to carry Danielle around the world as Zach did with Flo in TAR 3.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is exactly what happened.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
I thought we long had an agreement that Mama Paolo was the best? :lol:

Offline StephenWasHere

• RFF Full Member
  • *gasp* You are SUCH a liar, Tom!
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
Best: Debatable, but I'd like to say Gary from Gary/Mallory, or Zach from Zach/Flo.

My Favorite Racer though has to be Zev
TAR25- Shelley/Nici, Amy/Maya, Kym/Alli, Keith/Whitney
Survivor SJDS: Natalie, Jeremy, Baylor

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
Best: Debatable, but I'd like to say Gary from Gary/Mallory, or Zach from Zach/Flo.

My Favorite Racer though has to be Zev

My favorite is probably Kat from Nat & Kat, but I also love Nat, and of course I love Zev.  We both have Asperger's Syndrome, after all.

Belle Book

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 05:13:51 AM »
I thought we long had an agreement that Mama Paolo Weaver was the best? :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 05:48:54 AM »
I thought we long had an agreement that Mama Paolo Weaver was the best? :lol:

Ew. :lol:

Offline alextofu07

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »
BJ & Tyler :)

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Rob as one of the good contestants. From what I saw in season 7, he took competitiveness up to another level, including quite a few questionable strategies, such as telling the station agent not to give any information to the Debbie/Bianca/Susan/Patrick alliance, bribing the driver to only open the front doors of the bus, stealing Debbie & Bianca's taxi, and convincing 2 other teams to take a 4 hour penalty so that he & Amber would be safe even by not finishing the task

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Rob as one of the good contestants. From what I saw in season 7, he took competitiveness up to another level, including quite a few questionable strategies, such as telling the station agent not to give any information to the Debbie/Bianca/Susan/Patrick alliance, bribing the driver to only open the front doors of the bus, stealing Debbie & Bianca's taxi, and convincing 2 other teams to take a 4 hour penalty so that he & Amber would be safe even by not finishing the task

He also did a good job getting locals to help them (although it may have been because they recognised him and Amber from Survivor). He was also really entertaining.
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »

He also did a good job getting locals to help them (although it may have been because they recognised him and Amber from Survivor). He was also really entertaining.
Word on the entertaining part. I've read Ray's post race interview and he mentioned that Rob loved to play it up for the cameras, and that the two couples were good friends during the race and ended up going to each others' weddings

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »

Word on the entertaining part. I've read Ray's post race interview and he mentioned that Rob loved to play it up for the cameras, and that the two couples were good friends during the race and ended up going to each others' weddings

LOL, in another interview from Ray, I read that  instead of just bribing the bus driver to only open the front door, the original plan was to, when all the other teams were at a rest stop, get the driver to leave with just Rob and Amber and Ray and Deana, and leave the other teams stranded in the middle of nowhere. It didn't happen because they ran out of time. I have the link somewhere in my Favorites.

I loved watching him on TAR, so I started watching Survivor. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to Reality TV....
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »

LOL, in another interview from Ray, I read that  instead of just bribing the bus driver to only open the front door, the original plan was to, when all the other teams were at a rest stop, get the driver to leave with just Rob and Amber and Ray and Deana, and leave the other teams stranded in the middle of nowhere. It didn't happen because they ran out of time. I have the link somewhere in my Favorites.

I loved watching him on TAR, so I started watching Survivor. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to Reality TV....
Same here. And now I became addicted to Big Brother after seeing Jeff & Jordan on TAR16  :lol:

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »

Same here. And now I became addicted to Big Brother after seeing Jeff & Jordan on TAR16  :lol:

Yeah. I loved watching Jeff and Jordan on The Amazing Race. I was really sad when they got eliminated.

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

Yeah. I loved watching Jeff and Jordan on The Amazing Race. I was really sad when they got eliminated.
Me too, especially since they were one of those teams that you can't help but like because they're just so funny and nice

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »

I saw the Mendoza part of AR7 episode 3 with a different perspective. Rob did not cause Meredith or Deanna (note- I have thought it was all-male selected ROADBLOCKers at this point, but Gaby M was quite correct on Deanna doing it too) to quit and take the 4 hour penalty. They did that for themselves, not because Rob suggested it (which he indeed did) when they realized independently that their chances of finishing 4 pounds of meat were low. Their strategy was validated when Patrick was not able to finish until after all 3 had finished the penalty but before Debbie and Bianca finally arrived.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:41:49 AM by apskip »

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »

I saw the Mendoza part of AR7 episode 3 with a different perspective. Rob did not cause Meredith or Ray to quit and take the 4 hour penalty. They did that for themselves, not because Rob suggested it (which he indeed did) when they realized independently that their chances of finishing 4 pounds of meat were low. Their strategy was validated when Patrick was not able to finish until after all 3 had finished the penalty but before Debbie and Bianca finally arrived.
Now that you mention it...I do remember reading a post race interview with Ray when he said that the decision to quit the roadblock wasn't made out to be like the editors portrayed it. What he said really happened was that shortly after arriving at the roadblock, he & Deana realized that it would take her longer than 4 hours to complete it. At that point, he & Rob did collaborate and decided together that taking the penalty was their best bet, so now Ray & Deana needed to make sure that a third team would take that penalty in order for the two of them to not be Philminated, which was why he told Meredith that it would be faster to take that penalty instead of try and eat the food

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »
Rachel from TAR20.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard