The Amazing Race International Versions > TAR Australia

TARAus 1 Episode 5 (South Africa) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*

<< < (12/13) > >>

apskip:

--- Quote from: kiki on June 14, 2011, 05:47:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Best Loser on June 13, 2011, 08:37:52 PM ---
Also, I really like this leg. I especially like the task with the hourglasses. Were any of these tasks from another version?

--- End quote ---

It was from the Cape Town leg of TARA 2.

--- End quote ---
Actually it was from each of the last 2 ARA2 legs. The penultimate leg had the orphanage task with painting walls substituted for bringing toys. The final leg had the Atlantis Dunes ATV inverted baskets/hourglasses task. 

Jobby:

--- Quote from: apskip on June 15, 2011, 05:03:25 PM ---
Also, I really like this leg. I especially like the task with the hourglasses. Were any of these tasks from another version?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Actually it was from each of the last 2 ARA2 legs. The penultimate leg had the orphanage task with painting walls substituted for bringing toys. The final leg had the Atlantis Dunes ATV inverted baskets/hourglasses task.

--- End quote ---

I am glad that TAR Australia is at least reusing tasks which is at least interesting and good in some way. I especially loved the visiting of the orphanage this leg. I knew that it has been done a few times on the race before but seeing the racers stop racing and giving thanks to what they have in life is a plus point.

Detour was a fair challenge, of skill and manual labour. I would have done the shooting challenge even though I don't know how to do it. I just think that shooting is definitely way more interesting than moving barrels and filling them up with red wine.

The Roadblock was... what I call this a truly AMAZING RACE. First they had bungee last leg, this leg they had skydiving. Makes me wonder, when was the last time teams had to do a skydiving or a bungee jumping in a regular season of The Amazing Race?? I don't really remember anymore but I always thought that skydiving and bungee jumping is something you won't be tired of seeing... I know it's expensive.. but it's JUST SO COOL. If you get what I mean.

What I didn't like about this leg was that the sand dunes task already had a luck prospect to it already. So they should keep the waiting time of the hour glasses down to less than 10 minutes. A 45 minutes hour glass is just gross and unfair, IMHO.

Great teams, great leg. Chris and Anastatia =T_T, Mo and Mos are finally gone. The all-male teams are owning the race, of course with the exception of Mo and Mos. I don't know how the farmers are always so quick. Nathan and Tyler are always so competitive. Dave and Kelly and Alana and Mel just somehow fall behind all the time.

Greattt season so far! :tup: :tup: :tup:

boston_jen:

--- Quote from: Jominion on June 16, 2011, 04:52:22 AM ---
The Roadblock was... what I call this a truly AMAZING RACE. First they had bungee last leg, this leg they had skydiving. Makes me wonder, when was the last time teams had to do a skydiving or a bungee jumping in a regular season of The Amazing Race?? I don't really remember anymore but I always thought that skydiving and bungee jumping is something you won't be tired of seeing... I know it's expensive.. but it's JUST SO COOL. If you get what I mean.

--- End quote ---
:chute:

I agree.  I AM amazed by this particular race.  I have't seen any of the other non-US versions, so for me the tasks are mostly original.  I can't remember seeing so many really amazing tasks on the US version in a long while.

apskip:

--- Quote from: Jominion on June 16, 2011, 04:52:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: apskip on June 15, 2011, 05:03:25 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I am glad that TAR Australia is at least reusing tasks which is at least interesting and good in some way. I especially loved the visiting of the orphanage this leg. I knew that it has been done a few times on the race before but seeing the racers stop racing and giving thanks to what they have in life is a plus point.

Detour was a fair challenge, of skill and manual labour. I would have done the shooting challenge even though I don't know how to do it. I just think that shooting is definitely way more interesting than moving barrels and filling them up with red wine.

What I didn't like about this leg was that the sand dunes task already had a luck prospect to it already. So they should keep the waiting time of the hour glasses down to less than 10 minutes. A 45 minutes hour glass is just gross and unfair, IMHO.

Great teams, great leg. Chris and Anastatia =T_T, Mo and Mos are finally gone. The all-male teams are owning the race, of course with the exception of Mo and Mos. I don't know how the farmers are always so quick. Nathan and Tyler are always so competitive. Dave and Kelly and Alana and Mel just somehow fall behind all the time.

Greattt season so far! :tup: :tup: :tup:

--- End quote ---
Allow me to express a contrary view (as if that never happened before). I find the bungee jumps and skydiving and jumping off a tower with proper restraining systems dull. There is never any change in the relative position of teams during one of these tasks. The bungee jumping is guaranteed to have teams come out in the same order they go in unless someone chickens out (which has happened only once in the history of the Amazing Race or Amazing Race Asia that I recall). Sky diving planes are giving orders to make sure the jumps occur in the exact sequence of when teams arrived for that task. It's the same for tower jumps. Also, all the safety gear and training makes the risk of these jumps negligible.

I bet that if I were the one going on these tasks I would find that incredibly exciting. However, watching a telecast of them just fails to excite me at all. That was not the case for AR1 or AR2, but by AR19 these tasks are "old hat" and a bit boring. 

boston_jen:
These jumping tasks require a leap of faith of sorts, requiring some mental strength in convincing yourself that the straps and all that good stuff will keep you safe.  I thought the camera work on those was fantastic. 

I can't help but compare these challenges to the waterslide in Dubai, which DID lead to a change in position.  Very dramatic, but not amazing, unless it's amazing that someone could freak out that much.

I personally prefer the mental challenges that involve figuring something out, and we've seen a bunch of those already on this race.  Good stuff.

I was surprised that we didn't see more women going for the jumping and diving, since they required nerve, but not strength.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version