Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 177538 times)

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »

Should I update the timeline with the information?  :-[

Oh yeah. :lol:

All updated to the best of my knowledge. WHat colour is Zac/Laurence? (on the race)

Team color? Black.

Like teams are assigned colours right? for the race and they typically wear that colour during the race.

It has to do with the bandana on their bags.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Even before my visit to Copenhagen  last week I had already spent one day there with my teenage son the previous summer.

Continuing the Led Zeppelin motif

Such boys cannot be bothered by anything cultural or historic.  The one and only one thing he spotted and actually said "Let's go see THAT!" was the Vor Frelsers Kirke

It really does stand out!

And this is at the top:

So I went there again to make some inquiries:  Various staff on hand confirmed that Racers were there on July 4th.   :tup:   It turns out that the date is easy to pin down because there was a massive deluge rainstorm the day before in Denmark.  And everybody remembers that day.  The Teams had arrived the night before and parked their cars in the churchyard.  So it looks like it was a big Hours of Operation Equalizer.   (:;)  (:;)  Probably designed to obliterate any lead gained by Teams finding the fastest flights out of Malawi.

Video of climbing at the top:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cINoERizdB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cINoERizdB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

And just because it usually matters, the official number of stairs is 319.  But I counted 235 steps indoors and 147 steps outside.   :duno:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:11:43 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
One of the benefits of going on a bike tour of Copenhagen was the discovery of a classic TAR Pit Stop scenario! 

Queue the music:  Pirates

BTW the bike tour was this one:   Bike Mike  and it is the first thing you should do if you ever visit Copenhagen!

Remember this TAR6:  Af Chapman

Directly opposite Copenhagen's new Opera House is Larsen's Plads.  This is a street along the water like the French quai. 

Street view here.

Well, on this plads there are three classic old sailing ships.  And yes, that is the Vor Frelsers Kirke in the background!

The three ships are the Lillian Dan, the Halmo, and the Havet:

I went up to the ships, asking if anybody saw any filming going on Larsens Plads on July 4th, the day after the big storm, I got a mixed response.  Some sailors said "yes", some said "no".  The timing of the sightings was afternoon into early evening.  But the "yeses" pointed to the place where I got the "no" so by process of elimination, the Havet would be the Pit Stop.  Nobody could ID the Teams so I have no arrival order  :'(

Interestingly enough, it is the Havet that appears in the Google Maps Street View! :lol:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:20:18 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
Just to add to Chateau's great photos.

These photos were taken in August 2008, then there were only two boats at that spot. The big dome you see at the back is Marble Church. It's very close to Amaliemborg Palace.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
Just to add to Chateau's great photos.

These photos were taken in August 2008, then there were only two boats at that spot. The big dome you see at the back is Marble Church. It's very close to Amaliemborg Palace.

You were there in August 2008? I was there in June!  :lol:

Offline tullfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
My first post at RFF even though I've lurked here for years.

As per this week's TV Guide, it a ppears that our missing TAR 19 country is Tunisia.  Here is the direct citation:

"These 11 teams - which include Survivor alums Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca, a pair of professional snowboarders and two male flight attendants - all had at least one thing in common; Nobody could handle the heat and humidity they enocuntered in Tunisia.

First visit to that country since the first race. 

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »

As per this week's TV Guide, it a ppears that our missing TAR 19 country is Tunisia.  Here is the direct citation:

"These 11 teams - which include Survivor alums Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca, a pair of professional snowboarders and two male flight attendants - all had at least one thing in common; Nobody could handle the heat and humidity they enocuntered in Tunisia.

:bigwelcome to RFF! Wow, Tunisia, wasn't expecting that. I thought due to the Libyan and Egyptian riots Tunisia wouldn't be touched.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
:bigwelcome to RFF, tullfan! So glad you stopped lurking.

I think the theme for this Race is new locations. :hearts:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:12:15 PM by Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Do you have a link for where it says that? I can't find it. I wonder why they would write such a thing in TV Guide? ???

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
Yes, in Copenhagen  :tup:

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
If tullfan is right about Tunisia, here is the rough route:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:17:18 PM by flamant777 »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Well, if Tunisia is visited, it does not fit between Malawi and Denmark.  We had a sighting of Racers on a flight from Nairobi to Amsterdam that took off on July 2nd and landed on the 3rd. 

The start of the Malawi activities was from another sighting on a flight from Jo burg:  Teams arrived in Lilongwe Jun 30 around noon.   That does not leave enough time for Malawi and Tunisia.

I thought we had this all timelined out.  Right?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:36:15 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
Besides, I can't find the "direct quote" he used anywhere on the internet and Tunisia has been enveloped with political turmoil all year. It also didn't seem the most likely thing for TV Guide to mention. :umn:

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
Well, if Tunisia is visited, it does not fit between Malawi and Denmark.

Corrected  :tup:

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »
I think Tunisia and Taiwan were confuses in the TV Guide. They both start with the letter T and Taiwan is really close to the equator.

This would be a huge error, but then again I don't think TV Guide would list a later location AND some of the teams that were still in the race. Average high in Taiwan is about 32C, not really too hot.

Until someone else can verify this, I don't see it as genuine

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
Tunisia could fit as the country visited before Panama as outlined above, but if it was that late, the quote that all teams couldn't take the heat wouldn't make sense.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »

Hi tullfan! :welcome: to RFF, am glad you finally de-lurked!!

But I too am having trouble finding that quote...could you possibly link to it if it is online or scan it for us if it is in print? I made a quick drugstore run and didn't spot it on a fast read...

But based on our spoiler info, there does not appear to be enough time for a new leg. Our one gap is nicely explained by the substitution of Thailand II, we think.

It is odd though...especially as there were some early hints about Tunisia out there...although once that area of the world heated up those rumors disappeard.

Wonder if some writer misread Indonesia for Tunisia? ??? ?

Anyway would love to see the quote!

All I could find was a big spoiler from BVM....

apparently in Indonesia racers strangely begin speaking weird Spanish!! Shades of Mirna!! :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »
The race would have been in Tunisia on about the 7th of July if it's true. The travel information from that date suggests the country had stabilised almost to the point of not requiring travel warnings (ie. it would have been safer than it was, but not without risk), and I doubt it's on the route given they would have been planning the season right around the time there were all the protests.

Maybe about this time next year, Tunisia would work. Right now, no.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2011, 01:58:46 AM »
I think Tunisia and Taiwan were confuses in the TV Guide. They both start with the letter T and Taiwan is really close to the equator.

Maybe they when to Tanzania...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »
I was in Tunisia for a month (about the time of the Europe sightings) and I didn't hear a peep about the race being there...

Offline knomad

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:20 AM »
I'm also a long time lurker, but first time poster.  Just registered to say this:

I got my issue of TV guide in the mail yesterday, and the quote from TV Guide is correct.  It is the Sept. 19 - 25 "special issue" with Simon Cowell on the cover.  It's previewing the new fall shows.  I just looked for the article quoted, and it is there.  The (short) article about TAR is on page 91 (no page number on that page, but the next page is numbered 92).  It is in the weekend highlights section, on the opposite page from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition with a big picture of Ty Pennington and Michelle Obama. 

The TAR article has a picture of Ethan and Jenna at the top. 

The paragraph quoted is the second paragraph, and yes, it says TUNISIA!

"These 11 teams - which include Survivor alums Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca, a pair of professional snowboarders and two male flight attendants - all had at least one thing in common:  Nobody could handle the heat and humidity they encountered in Tunisia."

TV Guide may have got it wrong, but the quote is correct.  Hope this helps.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
THANK YOU!! That is a big help! The only issue I saw was the 12 to 18th one so will go looking today!!

:bigwelcome to RFF!!

Now....is Tunisia HUMID?? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
:welcome2: to RFF, knomad! Great description!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:58:53 AM by Prophet »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »

I was half dead last night and did not fully absorb this...

But that cinches it....we know that the ONLY places that had all 11 teams were the start, Taiwan and Yogyakarta. After that we are down to 9 ...

SO some one clearly confused INDONESIA with TUNISIA, and there is no missing leg.

Thanks for sharing this with us Tullfan, GREAT find!! And thanks to knomad as well! :jam:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tullfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
Thanks peach!

The TV Guide could certainly be wrong even though it is accurate about all the other countries that it mentions.  It certainly is humid and hot in Indonesia.  It is hot in Tunisia but I don't know about it being humid.  For the second leg in Tunisia, the TAR 1 racers were racing in the middle of nowhere in the Sahara desert, LOL!