Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 177525 times)

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
While Panama isn't new for the US TAR, the prior visit was the Family Edition, so......

I'd more or less treat it as a "new" country along with Denmark.

Same here. I guess they finally got over their Family Edition anxiety.  :)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »
Just posted an interview with Phil here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,13250.msg648435.html#msg648435

..." Indeed, Keoghan says that last season, "in one day the whole world turned upside down in the place that we were at and we had to pull together our show ... and the race kept rolling [even though] we had to completely change course; quite literally change course. And it's a testament to the skill level of the people that we have on the show."

In the video, it is about at the 900 mark...

Video: http://blip.tv/play/AYLNoVIC

He clearly says in this last show that we just finished filming...

If this indeed relates to TAR 19, then can we take a closer look at our locations and see what may have happened?

My guess would be in the Thailand to Malawi range... so it would be interesting to see if we can spot any political or geographic turmoil in that time frame that might have caused us to miss a leg.   :'(

Or was this just maybe Volcanic Ash?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Well, as he says that, they are playing an Unfinished Business promo :duno: But it could be a throwoff. But if teams were spotted in a particular location, would they not be filming there? ???
But there is the volcanic ash to contend with. This could be what he means.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
It could be the gas shortages and power outages in Malawi that occurred when they were there.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
Yes, but Malawi went on... the legs did take place. I am looking for an actual route change...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2011, 05:46:54 PM »
I believe that Phil's statement about "last season" means just that - it was AR18 he was talking about and not AR19. The only course change that I recall in AR18 was in Brazil. The obvious route of a nonstop flight from Rio to Miami on either of these:

AA904 2245 Sunday Dec. 12 - 0348 Monday Dec. 13
JJ8052 2208                        - 0332 (with code share United and Continental)

was not taken and nobody has ever satisfied me on the reason why.

If you assume that whatever happened there came up quite suddenly, then taking a long-distance bus was not an option and all but one flight from GIG GRU would have departed. The only possible flight was G3 1661 2250 0001. That connected into the well-known AA 994 GRU MIA which departed and arrived 2 hours late at Monday Dec. 13 0336 0936. Besides that it was the flight number actually mentioned in the finale telecast, albeit twisting the truth to make it seem like it was from Rio.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:18:00 AM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
As to TAR 19, IIRC,, the speculation about Malawi led to speculation about a leg being in South Africa or Kenya; and as I recall, Kenya was having political and other issues right about then. The other element is that, simply because of the uncertainty about where teams were headed, some teams were seen headed towards Phuket (at the airport right?), and we didn't hear more about them until Malawi emerged. This might mean that Phuket itself was a last minute leg change.

If it's TAR 18, I'd have to go back and see as there was a long stretch of that season that there weren't any spotting (after China or India) during filming.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:17:46 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »

:lol:  Did you see all those Emmies up on Phil's shelves?   :tup:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
I think this is for TAR 19, I think Phuket was planned, dunno between Thailand and Malawi though.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
The way Phil talks about "in one day the whole world turned upside down" makes it seem like it was some conflict or one of the uprisings in the Middle East.  What big events happened in June?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
Take your pick -- Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, UAE, Morocco -- Kenya also had problems, and IIRC, Nigeria was having a contentious presidential election right about then.

My earlier comment about Phuket was to raise the question as to whether the way we learned about that locale might have meant it was a switch at the last minute (but one that was on stand-by). I wasn't trying to be definiteive, just asking the question -- same as my first paragraph in this post.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
I think we might be looking at the last week of June....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
Take your pick -- Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, UAE, Morocco -- Kenya also had problems, and IIRC, Nigeria was having a contentious presidential election right about then.

Surely they had not planned a stop in Eygpt, Tunisia or Syria. Those countries had been in a state of chaos for months if not longer.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
The way Phil talks about "in one day the whole world turned upside down" makes it seem like it was some conflict or one of the uprisings in the Middle East.  What big events happened in June?
Why would events in the Middle East impact on an Amazing Race 19 route that apparently did not get within many thousands of miles of the Middle East? I'm not seeing how that could be related to a gap between Thailand and Malawi and/or Kenya.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
We are trying to guess at what event Phil might have been referring to that would have caused a last minute change in the Race during filming.

It's is within the realm of possibility that TPTB had planned a leg in the Middle East or north Africa on the way to southern Africa.

The Egyptian revolution had been several months in the past by the time filming the Race had gotten underway; same thing for Tunisia (although the trick there would have been avoiding NATO's no fly zone over Libya) and Syria would have been a possibility earlier int he spring as nothing had broken out there in the spring.

Some of the UAE states did have protests going on, and I'd have to find a site with world news headlines from that late June time frame to see what other places might have fit the bill. Let's not rule things out so quickly, because an event happening that would make filming difficult is what we're looking for.

As to south Asia (India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan) I can't think of anything that was happening right at that time but I do need something to look at to refresh my memory.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:53:29 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
In Nepal around that time was protests about Tibet that got violent. (Remember the early Nepal rumors, maybe teams were going there and it was cancelled due to the said reason.

I think we could rule out Pakistan. Sri Lanka had a huge contingent of media there for 2018 Commonwealth Games evaluation committee, so maybe they decided they didn't want to be spotted?  :lol: :snicker:

India/Bangladesh were visited pretty recently so I have a feeling it wasn't them either.

As for North Africa/Middle East maybe Jordan which has had random violence through the last year.

My money is on Nepal if the dates between their protests and the race lineup. I have read interviews in which Phil has stated that it is the country that they haven't gotten to yet that he most wants to get to. I think we can rule out the others mentioned due to recent races (Bangladesh and India) and security concerns (no way they go to Pakistan).

One thing to note though, unless I'm reading this wrong, perhaps something else happened that caused a needed change in course. Maybe horrible weather cancelled flights into a place or there was something else less newsworthy than a natural disaster or political upheaval that still caused travel chaos. If that's the case, we may not know for a while what occurred.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:54 AM »
It's definitely TAR19 he's talking about -- he mentions "this last season that we just shot" (or words to that effect), and the interview took place earlier this month, it seems.

My money is on Nepal if the dates between their protests and the race lineup. I have read interviews in which Phil has stated that it is the country that they haven't gotten to yet that he most wants to get to. I think we can rule out the others mentioned due to recent races (Bangladesh and India) and security concerns (no way they go to Pakistan).

Yeah, because they've never visited India in back-to-back seasons before.  :groan:  :lol3:

Pakistan *probably* wouldn't have been visited anyway, but if it was that general region that was changed could the big news have been Osama's death? I know it was at the start of May but it seems likely they'd have been planning the season at that point.

The middle of June also had the Chilean ash cloud affecting air travel in and throughout Australia as well, though that's also not likely -- but it would have been the likely connecting point between Indonesia and South Africa, so maybe the Phuket leg was planned to get them up closer to the Bangkok/Singapore/Hong Kong area, instead of having half the teams get stuck in Sydney and Melbourne?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:44:30 AM by tarflyonthewall »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2011, 03:56:08 AM »
It's highly unlikely, but could it have been Greece? We did have some big rallies and protests at the end of June.
I can't really remember any major event in the world at that time. It couldn't have been Middle East because the biggest unrest there was in the winter-spring.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »
It's definitely TAR19 he's talking about -- he mentions "this last season that we just shot" (or words to that effect), and the interview took place earlier this month, it seems.

The middle of June also had the Chilean ash cloud affecting air travel in and throughout Australia as well, though that's also not likely -- but it would have been the likely connecting point between Indonesia and South Africa, so maybe the Phuket leg was planned to get them up closer to the Bangkok/Singapore/Hong Kong area, instead of having half the teams get stuck in Sydney and Melbourne?

If they were stuck in Australia we would have tweets coming from left, right and centre. I think it might be the Middle East or another part of Africa.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
I am pretty sure based on info from Indonesia that Phuket was scheduled.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
I did find it funny they skipped right over India, seeing as they love using it. Bin Laden's death may very well have made them stay away from the vacinity around Pakistan which includes India. The event didn't have to happen right when the race was about to depart to the aborted location.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
They actually have skipped India in the summer filming several times as it is the rainy season there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
Hmmm...perhaps just before June 23. Thanks WP!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »
Here's a site that complies world news headlines that can be checked by date.

Here's the link for June 23rd:
http://rwfracingsite.net/RamrodsWorld/2011/06/23/world-headlines-6232011/

The one that I noticed was that Michele Obama, her mother, and her daughters were on a tour in South Africa; and as I recall, they were then going to be headed to a safari.

If TAR had planned to be in the same area, there might have been security issues that forced a change in plans.....and that would fit in with what we've been trying to find, right?

In any event this can help check the dates immediate before and after the 23rd of June.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
In Nepal around that time was protests about Tibet that got violent. (Remember the early Nepal rumors, maybe teams were going there and it was cancelled due to the said reason.

I think we could rule out Pakistan. Sri Lanka had a huge contingent of media there for 2018 Commonwealth Games evaluation committee, so maybe they decided they didn't want to be spotted?  :lol: :snicker:

India/Bangladesh were visited pretty recently so I have a feeling it wasn't them either.

As for North Africa/Middle East maybe Jordan which has had random violence through the last year.

Signs of the trouble appear in this news article in The Himalayan.  You can pin the date and time of the spark at Wednesday evening on the 22nd of June.  The news report went out the next day at 11:48 pm on the 23rd.  That would probably be when production learned about it and had to make a decision to forgo the 'cold climate'  leg for season 19.  Not a decision to be made lightly!  (:;)  At the time of the news release we have that Teams were in probably still in their Pit Stop preceding the leg that ended in Borobudur.

12 Free Tibet activists in police net

Added At:  2011-06-23 11:48 PM   Last Updated At: 2011-06-23 11:48 PM

KATHMANDU: Police last night intervened in a Tibetan exiles’ condolence meeting in Bouddha and rounded up 12 Free Tibet activists. The crackdown came when the exiles were holding a candlelight vigil on the Bouddhanath Stupa premises to wish for eternal peace to Phuntsok (21) and protest the Chinese excesses.

The Buddhist monk had immolated himself near the Kirti monastery in Amdho, eastern Tibet, on March 16 in protest of the Chinese rule in Tibet. The incident sparked a wave of protests in Tibet, prompting the Chinese military to crack down on Free Tibet activists.

Those detained in yesterday’s crackdown are Lopsang Sherpa, Wangdi Gurung, Gato, Yote Lama, Tenzing Lama, Thendup Chhiring, Thumten Ghyamchho, Gyalchhen, Dorjee Chhiring, Rabygyal, Tenzing Phinchow and Dorjee Lama. Of them, Wangdi and Thendup are Nepalis.

image from 2009 protests BBC News

My speculation is that, for lack of a better plan, the Phuket leg was turned into a double leg with the second leg happening within Thailand in general. 
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders