Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 177537 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2011, 04:19:07 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that TAR is working with a tobacco company in Malawi but the Limbe Leaf website (shown in the Live Sightings thread) shows them to be doing "social responsibility" work - raising trees for farmers to plant and donating supplies to children, that sort of thing. That could be the tie-in here. We may see TAR help build a school or something like that. That might mean staying an extra day here to give something back to Malawi.

Or maybe they will just go to a warehouse and count bundles of tobacco.  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
Schistosomiasis (also known as Bilharzia) is present in most lakes and rivers in Malawi, including Lake Malawi. The Department of State recommends against swimming, wading or bathing in fresh water.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_959.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
This page lists the Limbe facility (as well as other tobacco firms) at the Kanengo industrial park north of town. The teams might be processing tobacco, or they could just be shuffling stuff around for the auction floor. Some background here.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Matthew 7:15

Offline GelliBeanz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »
I found this posted on a Fb page a few days ago and sent to Peach.  She suggested to post it (hope this is the right spot!) to see if anyone in that area might know if it's something relevant to maybe ES .. or just a local thing.  Thanks.  :)

"Amazing Race in Baguio City! :D

am sooo happy!"

And she posted it sometime on Saturday .. July 2nd.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:28:22 PM by GelliBeanz »
Striving daily to be the woman, who upon waking, the devil goes .. "oh God .. she's up!"

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »
I found this posted on a Fb page a few days ago and sent to Peach.  She suggested to post it (hope this is the right spot!) to see if anyone in that area might know if it's something relevant to maybe ES .. or just a local thing.  Thanks.  :)

"Amazing Race in Baguio City! :D

am sooo happy!"

And she posted it sometime on Saturday .. July 2nd.

i don't know if that's a part of TAR 19 or a rumor about the upcoming of The Amazing Race Philippines or just a hoax? :duno:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
topaz,

The longest an amazing Race has done in one transportation leg is I think the Argentina to Moscow approximately 7000 miles in AR5. The thought of going from Europe to the Philippines, a bit further, is not credible at all.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
believed to refer to a local race. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
New info:

Panama City, Panama MAY well  be the last leg before the Finale.... :tup:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:57:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
Here's the flight that just barely works:

For July 10th
Delta DL 392 leaving PTY at 8:30 am and arriving at ATL at 1:34 pm (scheduled) 1:27 pm (actual)
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »
Any flights between Brussels, Belgium and Panama City?

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:09 AM »
Panama City's a regional air hub, it could be anywhere within the general region.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
There are only two airports in Europe that serve PTY, and no others in Panama as far as I can tell, and both of these routes arrived early in the evening, so this is an unlikely route.

PTY is the busiest airport in Central America. So the most logical assumption is that if indeed the preceding leg was European, that they flew on a connecting flight through either the US (is this possible in the race?), Mexico or South America (though I'd imagine this would be the long way round).

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2011, 03:08:27 AM »
The only time I remember then connecting though the US was way back in TAR3 when the connected in the US on the way from Mexico to England

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »
Direct flights to Panama City, Panama from Europe via Amsterdam or Madrid. These flights arrive approx 3-6:00pm, (1500-1800h). Other alternate intineraires, depending on when WRP wants them to arrive in Panama City, with intermediate stopovers outside the US at Toronto, Cancun or Mexico City.
Matthew 7:15

Offline notagoodname

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:13 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that TAR is working with a tobacco company in Malawi but the Limbe Leaf website (shown in the Live Sightings thread) shows them to be doing "social responsibility" work - raising trees for farmers to plant and donating supplies to children, that sort of thing. That could be the tie-in here. We may see TAR help build a school or something like that. That might mean staying an extra day here to give something back to Malawi.

Or maybe they will just go to a warehouse and count bundles of tobacco.  :lol:

TAR AU did have to stack pallets of beer....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
Panama City is confirmed. :tup:

And YAY!! A new country!! :hearts:

Hillerød and Copenhagen, Denmark are confirmed!! More coming!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Hillerød, nearby to Copenhagen, is no doubt for a visit to the Frederiksborg Palace

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
While Panama isn't new for the US TAR, the prior visit was the Family Edition, so......

I'd more or less treat it as a "new" country along with Denmark. Denmark has been on my target list since the early days, and I'm glad to see that one show up as well.

But I am surprised to see Panama to Atlanta as the final leg. When you check flights, Miami or New Orleans could logically be used as one-stop direct flights to get through immigration before arriving in Atlanta. And from what I understand Delta has a ton of flights from Latin America to Atlanta, which ought to make the final flight as well as the sequester flights quite interesting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:38:42 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Hillerød, nearby to Copenhagen, is no doubt for a visit to the Frederiksborg Palace

Now that the location is known, I found some information that strongly suggests that an American TV show was filming at Fredriksborg Palace on July 4th. I wonder which show that was?  :)

Update:
What I found was the story that Caper had already found and is posted over in the Live Sightings thread.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:56:33 PM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
While Panama isn't new for the US TAR, the prior visit was the Family Edition, so......

I more or less treat it as a "new" country along with Denmark. Denmark has been on my target list for the early days, and I'm glad to see that one show up as well.

But I am surprised to see Panama to Atlanta as the final leg. When you check flights, Miami or New Orleans could logically be used as one-stop flights to get through immigration before arriving in Atlanta. And from what I understand Delta has a ton of flights from Latin America to Atlanta, which ought to make the final flight as well as the sequester flights quite interesting.

There is a direct flight as well.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »

Now that the location is known, I found some information that strongly suggests that an American TV show was filming at Fredriksborg Palace on July 4th. I wonder which show that was?  :)

Update:
What I found was the story that Caper had already found and is posted over in the Live Sightings thread.

I've been there!  :ascared

Offline notagoodname

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »

I more or less treat it as a "new" country along with Denmark. Denmark has been on my target list for the early days, and I'm glad to see that one show up as well.

But I am surprised to see Panama to Atlanta as the final leg. When you check flights, Miami or New Orleans could logically be used as one-stop flights to get through immigration before arriving in Atlanta. And from what I understand Delta has a ton of flights from Latin America to Atlanta, which ought to make the final flight as well as the sequester flights quite interesting.

There is a direct flight as well.

with atlanta being a primary delta international hub, it makes sense, and codeshares will allow the non-stops to be there

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:50 AM »
Let's be clear on airline terminology, notagoodname. A nonstop flight is a direct flight with no intermediate stops. That stands by itself. The use of codesharing flight numbers just allows other affiliated partner airlines to claim that nonstop as one of their flights for fare calculation purposes.

I just finished a trip on which I took 5 Qantas nonstop flights (two connecting in LAX). 4 of them were Qantas operated and code-shared with its One World consortium partner airlines American Airlines and British Airways. One was an American -operated flight codeshared by Qantas.

Code-shares do not "allow nonstops to be there." Those nonstops are already there but can have fares easily calculated on partner airlines as a result of code-sharing.