Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 177777 times)

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

yea no kidding, the helmsman position is very hard are requires a lot of concentration and coordination.  i have been on a dragon boat before.  pretty cool.  also, the festivals in china and taiwan are going on around this time of year so the dragon boat task makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:04:08 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2011, 12:58:59 AM »
Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Duan Wi Jie in Chinese falls on June 6th this year. (2011)

They're late by just a few days but the mood is still there, with all the decorations and some after races going on.

Now I've been to Xi Men Ding but i'm not sure if the shops/crowd is there that early in the morning before 9am?? :umn:

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Duan Wi Jie in Chinese falls on June 6th this year. (2011)

They're late by just a few days but the mood is still there, with all the decorations and some after races going on.

Now I've been to Xi Men Ding but i'm not sure if the shops/crowd is there that early in the morning before 9am?? :umn:

Maybe they went to Xi Men Ting to red pavilion for a route marker?like TARA S3...since they visit Core Pacific City later,I don't think they go to any shop of Xi Men Ting.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:07:36 AM by weihen »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 01:24:38 AM »
Rough Taiwan Map (Not the map king, which Neobie will be making one soon I guess, but here's a rough guide)

Chinese characters are provided just so that the Detectives can search for clues easier

1. Ximending (西門町)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ximending

2. Taipei Confucius Temple (臺北市孔廟)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_Confucius_Temple

3. Core Pacific City Living Mall (京華城)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Pacific_City

4. Dajia Riverside Park (大佳河濱公園)
http://sinotour.com/tourguide/taipei/dajia-riverside-park.html

5. National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine (國民革命忠烈祠)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Revolutionary_Martyrs'_Shrine

Hope this helps abit! :tup:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:11 AM »
You will realize that it's all in the same district and that travelling within the district is extremely easy with either subway or taxis.

The only problem I can see teams having trouble with is the pitstop, which the cabbies could have brought them to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, which is TAR 12's pitstop or any other memorials for other Chinese historians, which I think the city of Taipei itself has a few.

To the team who got lost: Really really bad luck. Taiwanese usually speak A LITTLE English these days. It's easier to converse to the people in Taiwan than in Hong Kong, IMHO.

&... while they're at Taipei and so near to the location, i'm quite shocked they didn't go to the Taipei Arena! :ascared

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:56 AM »
You will realize that it's all in the same district and that travelling within the district is extremely easy with either subway or taxis.

The only problem I can see teams having trouble with is the pitstop, which the cabbies could have brought them to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, which is TAR 12's pitstop or any other memorials for other Chinese historians, which I think the city of Taipei itself has a few.

To the team who got lost: Really really bad luck. Taiwanese usually speak A LITTLE English these days. It's easier to converse to the people in Taiwan than in Hong Kong, IMHO.

&... while they're at Taipei and so near to the location, i'm quite shocked they didn't go to the Taipei Arena! :ascared

I am surprised more teams didnt get lost bc anyone that speaks chinese and isn't bilingual, usually speak very little english.  well, at least the relatives i have speak little english.  communicating with the cabbies would be very difficult in taiwan i would imagine.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »
anyone that speaks chinese and isn't bilingual, usually speak very little english.

Quoted for truth. *snark*

Looks like they had good weather today! There was a tropical depression I was a little worried about.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
anyone that speaks chinese and isn't bilingual, usually speak very little english.

Quoted for truth. *snark*

I feel it's the American accent sometimes. I have problems with understanding some words spoken at times as well. :-[ :-[

Offline ariachiang

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:03 AM »
Some get trouble in traffic maybe when they arrive it happens the most crowed time in Taipei, esp it's Monday. As to the weather, maybe a little but not a big problem tomorrow if they move south as go to HK or Guangdong. If their destination is Vietnam, then the effect may less.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »

Nah, like most things in Taiwan (except for the convenience stores like 7-11 / Family Mart, etc) most stores only open until after 10h30am~11am-ish. But we might have some crowds from people already working.
I'm surprised they're doing Taipei again not another city in Taiwan, specially due to the Temple clue in LA. Back in 2009, got to visit the actual FoGuangShan which is the southbound region of Taiwan, and saw some projections of the upcoming renovations then, don't know how much is ready now, but it would be gorgeous to be seen in HD.
However the chances of teams bumping into other foreigners that might have a better grasp at English or young people who will attempt to speak are bigger than in other cities.

Offline schwarzmoor

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
Oh! My original source just delete everything in his post...but it's too late!

Offline edmonton927

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
there is some information about the first leg in this web page: http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=1113870366&ct=335544320&lm=0&sc=0&rn=30&tn=baiduPostBrowser&word=%BC%AB%CB%D9%C7%B0%BD%F8&pn=180
The website is the No.1 serch engine in China.

There are some photos, the order and checking time of all teams.  Teams will go to Indonesia.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
there is some information about the first leg in this web page: http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=1113870366&ct=335544320&lm=0&sc=0&rn=30&tn=baiduPostBrowser&word=%BC%AB%CB%D9%C7%B0%BD%F8&pn=180
The website is the No.1 serch engine in China.

There are some photos, the order and checking time of all teams.  Teams will go to Indonesia.
They got all info from RFF,and I am one of them :groan:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
So teams are now traveling from Jogja to Jakarta to Bangkok to Phuket and have arrived. Thailand is one of the premier destinations for beaches South Asia.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »
So teams are now traveling from Jogja to Jakarta to Bangkok to Phuket and have arrived. Thailand is one of the premier destinations for beaches South Asia.

Actually, from the posts what we know now is that ONE team has travelled to Phuket. We do not yet have evidence for "teams" right? Could easily be for ES.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »

Actually, from the posts what we know now is that ONE team has travelled to Phuket. We do not yet have evidence for "teams" right? Could easily be for ES.

Ah good point. Wasn't a Thai island the ES for last year?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I'm a little confused by that sighting because FD3031 departed BKK at 19.00 and teams could not arrive until 20.00

Did I miss something? Hopefully he can ID the team he saw.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm a little confused by that sighting because FD3031 departed BKK at 19.00 and teams could not arrive until 20.00

Did I miss something? Hopefully he can ID the team he saw.

Perhaps it is the case therefore that the sequestered team was sent earlier than the racing teams to BKK before heading on to Phuket. BKK itself might be the leg, or a transit airport.

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »

Ah good point. Wasn't a Thai island the ES for last year?

Yes....Ko Samui. I still think that ES will be the same one used last season. It's most accessible for the early teams getting booted, and later in the race (after about the 5th elimination) the remaining teams are used as decoys and never go to ES. When I posted this spec earlier on a different thread, someone said that it wasn't likely because it would depend on where their final destination is, but that doesn't make sense because last season they were kept in Thailand and then flown to Rio then Miami, which is about as far and out of the way as you could ever get. In the end it all comes down to money, and Thailand is extremely affordable, it's geographically close to where the early teams are getting the boot, and it's easy for them to arrange and coordinate since they just used the same spot last season. And again, it's cheap, certainly a LOT cheaper than anywhere in Europe.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
Do we know if eliminated teams usually travel to ES with a camera crew in tow as described by that traveler on FB? That's the part that makes me wonder if this is a team that has managed to pull ahead by making some very close connections.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
Do we know if eliminated teams usually travel to ES with a camera crew in tow as described by that traveler on FB? That's the part that makes me wonder if this is a team that has managed to pull ahead by making some very close connections.

I would highly doubt that teams traveling to the ES would have a camera crew with them. What use would they have for the footage? I could see the camera crew taking the same flight as the eliminated team if the team goes to ES and the now unneeded camera crew heads back to the USA. However, I doubt the camera crew would be taking their equipment with them in that case. If the FB traveler saw a team and camera crew filming then most likely they are a team that has gotten ahead of other teams (or at least is taking a different route).

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Well, there is QZ 7744 from Jakarta to Phuket arriving at 18.50. However the spotter said they were on a flight from BKK.

Otherwise if someone departed early enough they could make QZ 7138 straight from JOG and arrive in Singapore by 10.45 then connect to TG 404 and arrive in Bangkok at 12.47. and from there take PG 273 to arrive in Phuket at 15.20

This sequence does not seem extremely likely but it shows that there are other options that could be narrowly made.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »
Sure they can have a crew! IF we are going to see ES this season :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
Sure they can have a crew! IF we are going to see ES this season :lol:

I was figuring we wouldn't have ES this season.  :(  I still don't see why they would need footage of the eliminated teams traveling to ES. The ES would have it's own film crew for post elimination confessionals, etc. if they do have an ES.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
The FB post purportedly said this:
He was part of the filming Crew for the amazing race.

Maybe he was just the "Handler" that travels with teams to ES.  It doesn't sound like the poster saw cameras, etc.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:17:28 PM by chill_sd »