Author Topic: America's Got Talent 6  (Read 34979 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: America's Got Talent 6
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
Apparently NBC has a scheduling trick up their sleeve. I would expect that Aug. 30/31 would be the second semifinal and Sept. 6/7 would be the finals. However, the finale is Sept. 14 so somehow there is an intermediate narrowing down.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
AGT6 second semifinal

Here is the way I grade the performances these acts:
Kinetic King A+
Fatally Unique A-
Landon Swank B+ his explosive act just didn’t thrill me
Gymkana B don’t make fatal mistakes
Summerwind Skippers B ditto (don’t make fatal mistakes)
Snap Boogie B+
Anna Graceman A- the surprise of the evening for me, as I really liked her singing and song choice
Stephen Retchless B should never had been in the semis and it showed
Smage Brothers Riding Show A-
Professor Splash A- however, I agree with Piers that diving into deeper pool isn’t exciting
Eugene Landau Murphy Jr A
Silhouettes A the judges thought prior performance better but I liked this one
So that gives us Kinetic King, Eugene Landau Murphy Jr and Silhouettes going to the finals plus 2 of Fatally Unique, Anna Graceman, Smage Brothers and Professor Splash. We’ll see.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
AGT6 second semifinal Results

The first grouping was Gymkana, Steven Retchless and Silhouettes. I applauded the voters’ choice of Silhouettes.

The second grouping was Anna Graceman and Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.  Nick Cannon played a trick on Landau by having him believe that he was out, but they both will be in the finals.

The third grouping was Professor Splash, Fatally Unique, Landon Swank and Summerwind Skippers. America’s votes won for Landon Swank, so there will be an illusionist in the finals.

That left Kinetic King, Snap Boogie and Smage Brothers Riding Shows to compete for the final spot. One of those was eliminated by America’s votes, Kinetic King.  Piers voted for Smage Brothers, Sharon voted for Snap Boogie and Howie voted for Smage Brothers, which gave the nod to Smage Brothers Riding Show.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
AGT6 round of 10

The producers of AGT are stretching it out when they should have shown the final performances of each act live in this episode. Instead, there is one more round of 4 which acts have to battle their way into. My grades for those performances were:

3 Acts which were than top-notch and whose time is over
West Springfield Dance Team –boring, as it’s always the same
Lys Agnes – good low register, but I can’t stand her in the upper register
Miami All-Stars – I found it boring

2 teams that may have a chance but are probably going nowhere
Anna Graceman
Smage Brothers Riding Show

5 best teams competing for 4 spots (with public deciding #4 and not the judges)
Team iLuminate
Poplyfe
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr
Landon Swank
Silhouettes

I think it will be Landon Swank out in the cold as the other 4 advance to compete next week.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »
Can we have final 5 instead of final 4 this year??? hehehehe. AGT producer, please open this site.... :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
AGT6 round of 10 Results

America and I were pretty consonant in our picks.

The first grouping was Smage Brothers and Team ILuminate, which the latter won.

The second grouping was Miami All-Stars and Lys Agnes. Neither deserved to move ahead and they did not.

The third grouping was Poplyfe and Landon Swank. Poplyfe is moving on.

The fourth grouping was Silhouettes and West Springfield Dance Team. Silhouettes is going forward.

The fifth grouping was Anna Graceman and Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. He is still in and she is out.

So I was 4 for 4 in my predictions, which pleases me.

For next week it is a difficult call, but I expect Team iLuminate to win it all.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
AGT6 Finale Performances

It's the big night where it's all on the line.

First up was Landau Eugene Murphy Jr., who sang "My Way" at a high level. I give him an A grade.

Next was Team iLuminate, who is my personal favorite for AGT6 winner. They gave a totally new and energetic performance which was a creative triumph. It was such that their director, who danced with the group in the round of 10, elected to stay at the computer and left it to the others. They were more than capable. I grade them as A+ and don't see how any other act is going to beat them.

Third to perform was Poplyfe, who frankly overreached. They finished with "We are the champions!" but with Kayla oversinging and her supporting cast off-key they have no chance. I grade them a B.

Last was Silhouettes and they performed well, but not well enough to beat Team iLuminate. I grade them A.

The order of finish will be:
#1 Team iLuminate
#2 Silhouettes
#3 Eugene Landau Murphy Jr
#4 Poplyfe

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
Well, judging how last season Michael Grimm beat Fighting Gravity and Jackie, I can only say that Poplyfe would not win but the winner spot is still an open spot. So sad that this season is coming to an end....I'll keep in touch with you in another thread(i.e. TC Just Desserts 2)..LOL

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
Here are the results of America's vote:

#4 Poplyfe (deserved)
#3 Team iLuminate (they should have won this; once more America has let me down)
#2 Silhouettes (this is fair)
#1 Landau Eugene Murphy Jr (an inspiring choice of the two left)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
There is a disturbing trend in the selection of AGT winners by America's voters. The singers seem to be heavily supported and the dancers, novelty acts, comedians, magicians are ignored.

Case in point is AGT5, which featured 4 singers and 1 novelty act (fighting Gravity) in the final 5.

Terry Fator was the only AGT winner who was not a singer and the majority of his act is some really good singing disguised as ventriloquism.

I guess we should start thinking about America's Got Talent as a better version of American Idol because it certainly has not proved to be a broadly based talent show if only singers need apply.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
It seems that this show has failed in its purpose if they can never have anyone win but singers.

Results in these sorts of shows are always odd. It's like the British X-factor which accepts groups but groups never win. It makes you wonder why they even accept them :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
Don't forget about Landau's sad story that could be one of the factors of his winning the prize. Anw, AGT 5 had 3 singers, not 4 singers...it was final 4, Apskip. hehehe.

There is a disturbing trend in the selection of AGT winners by America's voters. The singers seem to be heavily supported and the dancers, novelty acts, comedians, magicians are ignored.

Case in point is AGT5, which featured 4 singers and 1 novelty act (fighting Gravity) in the final 5.

Terry Fator was the only AGT winner who was not a singer and the majority of his act is some really good singing disguised as ventriloquism.

I guess we should start thinking about America's Got Talent as a better version of American Idol because it certainly has not proved to be a broadly based talent show if only singers need apply.