Author Topic: America's Got Talent 6  (Read 34984 times)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: America's Got Talent 6
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Apskip, do you really think Kinetic King will get through after the disaster tonight? I'd be absolutely shocked. As for a grade, I'd give him a C- just because of the amount of time he put into building the thing.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »
I have to give him a C but even if he doesn't get through in this round, I think he could get a pass into a wildcard round.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
Finally I have the chance to watch the whole show.
I really hope we can say goodbye to Avery&Calico, Charles Peachock, Sam B, Taylor Davis, Fatally Unique and the Yellow Design Stunt team. The reason would be that we already have those kind of acts from the previous groups.

That being said, we have 2 acts more than the spots left. Based on the show, Kinetic King has underperformed unfortunately so he might not be able to get through this time.

My pick for the result show: Mellisa Villasenor, Zuma Zuma, iLuminate and Scott Alexander. The one that narrowly missed the chance to get through to semifinal would be Frank Miles.

Next week, there would be Youtube performers...yippee!!!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
I finally just got the time to go back to my VCR tape and view the Zuma Zuma and Kinetic King performances. Zuma Zuma was the solid A that I predicted from the small part of it I saw. Kinetic King's attempt to break the world record fizzled early in the run of interlocked pieces. I thought his act was great comedy, but he did not bring his intended act to completion, so he does get a B- and will undoubtedly be out. The act I would put into the "gang of 4" to be announced tonight is Fatally Unique.

I am going to go back to my post from late last night and modify it accordingly.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »
Your VCR tape?! :o :o
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
Here are my predicted top 16:

Silhouettes
Steven Retchless
Smage Brothers Riding Shows
Professor Splash
Team iLuminate
Fatally Unique
Sandou Russian Bar Trio
Miami AllStars
Zuma Zuma
Snap Boogie
Anna Graceman
Lys Agnes
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr
Daniel Joseph Baker
Poplyfe
Melissa Villasenor

I would cut all female singers, Daniel Joseph Baker, Poplyfe, Professor Splash (I love his act, but it is only suited to a brief opener act), Snap Boogie, Fatally Unique, Smage Brothers, Silhouettes, Steven Retchless. I regrettably also have to ditch Landau to get to just 5.

That leaves as my predicted final 5 before YouTube round insertion:
Miami All-Stars
Zuma Zuma
Melissa Villasensor 
Team iLuminate
Sandou Russian Bar Trio

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
Quarterfinals round 4 of 4 Results Show

The first grouping was Avery and the Calico Hearts, Frank Miles, Taylor Davis and Fatally unique. My hopes that America knows talent were vindicated by their choice of Fatally Unique for one of the top 3 slots.

The second grouping was Zuma Zuma and Yellow Design Stunt Team. ZUma Zuma won a richly deserved slot.

The third grouping was Scott Alexander, Team iLuminate and Sam B.

The fourth grouping was Melissa Villasensor, Charles Peachock and Kinetic King. Kinetic King was eliminated, so it was Melissa Villasenor vs. Charles Peachock for the #4 and #5 slots to be decided by the judges. Piers voted for Charles. Sharon voted for Melissa.  Howie voted for Melissa. The winner was Melissa Villasenor.
That gives us Fatally Unique, Zuma Zuma, Team iLuminate and Melissa Villasenor, exactly the group that I picked so I am really glad that America is doing so much better this year in matching my tastes.

Host Nick Cannon announced that in 2 weeks the Wild Card selections picked by the judges with input from America will perform. I will nominate the following acts for consideration:
Attack Dance Crew
Landon Swank
Seth Grabel
Chicago Ultimate Tumblers
Fiddleheads
Shemika Charles

I do not prefer any of these nominees to my final 5 acts, so even if they get into the semifinals none of them should go further.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
Well, I'm pretty happy with the result and very excited with some acts with lesser quality going home this time.

Hopefully there would be great youtube acts next week...

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »
Irrespective of the number of YouTube acts, Nick Cannon stated that only one winner will make the semi-finals that's what I heard but it turned out to be 4 instead). Unfortunately I missed the boat by not voting by July 8, the cutoff date for voting.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:12:16 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 07:12:43 AM »
AGT6, YouTube Round

The 12 best of thousands of YouTube 90 second submissions were voted by fans one month ago to appear live and be judged by the national audience just like the acts competing in person initially. I was quite disappointed by the talent on display in this round, as I do not see 4 acts worthy of receiving the blessing to get into the Semifinal round; only by stretching the definition of “worthy” can you can 4 acts.

Here are those acts and my rating of each one:

TNC Elite - cloggers; B
Illusionist Brett Daniels – the judges were not that impressed, but I loved his making-Marilyn Monroe-disappear act; A-
Matt Wilhelm – bike tricks; B
Gabe Rocks – a bulldog trained to do various tricks; B+
Aeon – acrobats who were disappointing; B
Breanna Bell – 8 year old acrobat doing dancing; B+
Kevin Colis – singer/guitarist who was the biggest talent in this round; A
Beth Ann Robinson – 14 year old modern dancer B+
Gymkana – this group was OK but if they make the semifinals they will go no further; A-
Kalani Basketball Freestyle – juggling and twirling basketball is good for a few minutes, but a whole Las Vegas show? No way; B
West Springfield Dance team – the judges loved their dark style, but not me; B
Powerhouse show choir – this group showed energy, singing and dancing; A-

The only act that I think is equal to the quality of previously-voted-in semifinal acts and should advance is Kevin Colis. The other 3 who would back in are Brett Daniels, Gymkana and the Powerhouse show choir.  We’ll see tonight on the live results show.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
AGT6 You Tube round RESULTS Show

The first grouping was Powerhouse and Gymkana. Like Piers Morgan, I was disappointed to see that one of these was likely to be out. Gymkana is going to the semifinals.

The second grouping was TNC Elite, Matt Wilhelm and Aeon. I agree that Matt Wilhelm was the best act of these and it is moving to the semis.

The third grouping was Illusionist Brett Daniels, Kevin Colis, Breena and Kalani Basketball Style. This was not contest, as I Kevin Colis got the win.

That left 3 teams fighting for #4 vs. #5, but first the bulldog Gabe Rocks was eliminated. That left the judges to decide between West Springfield Dance Team and Beth Ann Robinson. Piers voted Beth Ann, Sharon for West Springfield and Howie for Beth Ann. She made it to the semis, but Sharon announced that West Springfield was getting her vote for next week’s Wild Card Round.

In that Wild Card round, here are some of the acts that will be among the 12 competing for 4 slots in the semifinals:
West Springfield Dance Team
Summerwind Skippers
Kinetic King
J. Chris Newberg
Those Funny Little People
Avery and the Calico Hearts
Landon Swank
Yellow Design Stunt Team
Charles Peachock
Shevonne Charles
Seth Grabel
Fiddleheads
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:45:39 AM by apskip »

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Just to complete Apskip's list...

FYI, all the acts eliminated at Judges' choice are brought back

Wildcard round performers:
The Fiddleheads - Week 1
J. Chris Newberg - Week 1
Those funny Little People - Week 1
Landon Swank - Week 2
Seth Grabel - Week 3
Summerwind Skippers - Week 3
Kinetic King - Week 4
Charles Peachock - Week 4
Yellow Design Stunt Team
Avery and the Calico Hearts - Week 4
West Springfield Dance Team - Youtube Week
Shevonne - Cut at Las Vegas Round, Female Singer

4 of them will go through and my pick would be: Landon Swank/Seth Grabel/both of them, Summerwind Skippers, Kinetic King, West Springfield(only if one magician is eliminated)

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
Apskip, I just had the chance of watching the Powerhouse in the Youtube round(I download the episode but it missed the last performance)....for me, I just hate their choreography and the solo part is not strong enough...and finally, for me, just Glee is enough... :)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
AGT6 Wild Card round

This is 12 acts selected by the judges to be given a second chance to compete their way back into AGT6 in the semifinals for the 4 best as voted by America. Here are the acts and my ratings of them:
Kinetic King (this time his setup worked flawlessly)  A+
Those Funny Little People (I am sure Howie had them in to annoy Piers); not funny at all B
Yellow Design Stunt Team (one bad fall and it could be over for them despite the judges saying that emphasized the danger involved)  A-
Charles Peachock (when you have only two components to your act and miss the juggling on one of them, it’s curtains)  B-
Fiddleheads (I was disappointed; they did much better earlier in the competition)  B+
Avery and the Calico Hearts  B+
Seth Grabel (another big disappointment for me; he didn’t do much beyond the standard trick of making a car appear)  B
Summerwind Skippers (another major miss will take them out)  B+
Landon Swank(another standard magic routine with the water tank and the locks but so well executed)  A
Shevonne  B
West Springfield Dance Team (Sharon Osbourne is nuts about this act, but I just plain disagree)  B
J. Chris Newberg roasting Piers Morgan; very funny was Piers’ verdict;  A

So that means I liked Kinetic King, J. Chris Newberg, Landon Swank and Yellow Design Stunt team are my picks to move on.   

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm rooting for Summerwind Skippers, Kinetic King, Yellow Design Stunt Team and Landon Swank this time. Shevonne/Seth could be missing out this time.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
franxaverian,

Your picks are almost the same as mine. I have to ask you why you felt Summerwind Skippers, who did OK but made a glaring error, deserve the nod over a scintillating J. Chris Newberg?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
AGT6 Wild Card Round Results Show

Here was the results of the first grouping: West Springfield Dance Team, Shevonne, Those funny Little People, Yellow Design Stunt Team – the slot went to West Springfield Dance

The second grouping was Kinetic King, Charles Peachock, Avery and the Calico Hearts– Kinetic King

The third grouping was Landon Swank and Seth Grabel – Landon Swank

The fourth grouping was J. Chris Newberg, Summerwind Skippers and Fiddleheads. America’s vote to eliminate J. Chris Newberg was announced. This is a travesty, as he was the best act in this grouping. 4th place went to Summerwind Skippers, courtesy of Piers and Sharon voting for their unusual act. 5th place and out of the competition went to Fiddleheads.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
AGT6 Final 24

Novelty
Silhouettes
Steven Retchless
Smage Brothers Riding Shows
Professor Splash
Fatally Unique
Team iLuminate
Matt Wilhelm
Kinetic King

Acrobatics
Sandou Russian Bar Trio
Gymkana
Summerwind Skippers

Dance
Miami All-Stars
Zuma Zuma
Snap Boogie
West Springfield Dance Team
Beth Ann Robinson

Female Singers
Anna Graceman
Lys Agnes

Male Singers
Landau Eugene Murphy Jr
Daniel Joseph Baker
Kevin Colis

Band
Poplyfe

Comedienne
Melissa Villasenor

Illusions
Landon Swank

Now that we have everything in perspective, the best 8 acts are:

Team iLuminate
Kinetic King (he’s back)
Sandou Russian Bar Trio
Miami All-Stars
Zuma Zuma
Kevin Colis
Melissa Villasenor
Landon Swank

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
How is Fatally Unique in Novelty and not in Dance???

and in my opinion, Kevin Colis is a weak singer...or at least chose a weak song for him. I definitely do not consider him in the Top 8

Offline hurricane

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
How could Kinetic King ever make that into a one hour show? It takes hours or days to set that up and it is over in 5 minutes.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
How is Fatally Unique in Novelty and not in Dance???

and in my opinion, Kevin Colis is a weak singer...or at least chose a weak song for him. I definitely do not consider him in the Top 8
guacamole300, I have no monopoly on opinions of America's Got Talent 6 acts. I happen to think Kevin Colis is one of the strongest acts remaining and I typically hate his style of music so I have no reason to like him.

The classifications are mine. Fatally Unique performs with light reflection on dark backgrounds and is not principally a dance act. However, you may classify it as you wish.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
How could Kinetic King ever make that into a one hour show? It takes hours or days to set that up and it is over in 5 minutes.
Actually, I think his act is over in about one minute. It would take a very large stage to give him the space to do multiple setups, but I cannot ever see him getting to one hour.

However, there is a much more egregious act that you could have complained about. Professor Splash is really not able to do more than one dive.

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:07 AM »
About Kevin Colis, that's fair, we're all entitled to our opinions, and, like I said, I happen to think he is very weak and there are stonger singers in the competition. However, I do think his style and looks are the ones that appeal to America and that is why he advanced.

on the other hand... I know you made your clasifications, but still, I respectably have to disagree. How is Fatally Unique not principally a dance act? I fail to see it. This is from the NBC official page: "Fatally Unique is a hip-hop dance team that originated in Rockford, Illinois."
iLuminate and Silhouettes, I can agree, they do use something else, but if you see the three routines from FU they have nothing like the other two to make them Novelty, perhaps only the last one, but that's only because most acts get more production in the live show.

Again, it's just my opinion, and in no way meaning to be disrespectful.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »
AGT6 first semifinal

Here were the 12 acts that were featured tonight:

Zuma Zuma A
Beth Ann Robinson A-
Sandou Trio Russian Bar B-; they were audacious in departing from their normal act to have the female do singing and piano, which are mediocre; it will cost them totally
Kevin Coles B+
Matt Wilhelm – B; sayonara; you cannot recover from the performance mistake he had
Poplyfe A-
West Springfield Dance Team – B; no matter how talented they are their ghoul act disgusts me
Melissa Villasenor – B; it’s the end of the line for her; she just wasn’t very funny with her impressions
Team iLuminate – A
Daniel Joseph Baker – B; I don’t understand what the judges hear in his performances; does the world need another Liberace?; I don’t think so
Miami All-Stars – A an excellent performance
Lys Agnes – A-

Let’s look at this episode in perspective. The 5 acts I think are going to the finals are:
Zuma Zuma
Team iLuminate
Miami All-Stars
Poplyfe
Beth Ann Robinson (chosen over Lys Agnes by the judges)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
AGT6 first semifinal Results

The first grouping had Sandou, Zuma Zuma, Matt Wilhelm and Team iLuminate. In my book that was two acts who should make the finals, but only Team iLuminate will.

The second grouping was Poplyfe and Lys Agnes. Both are going to the finals.

The third grouping was Kevin Coles, Miami All-Stars and Melissa Villasenor. It was a clear win for Miami All-Stars.

The fourth grouping was Beth Ann Robinson, West Springfield Dance Team and Daniel Joseph Baker. Beth Ann was eliminated first, then the judges voted on the 5th vs. 6th slots (not 4 and 5 as Nick Cannon misrepresented). Howie and Piers both voted for West Springfield, so they are going to the finals and Daniel Joseph Baker is out.