Author Topic: TARAus 1 Episode 4 (South Africa) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 42082 times)

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARAus 1 Episode 4 (South Africa) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:05 AM »
Richard and Joey are out!  :wohoo:  :neener:

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 06:47:34 AM »
Bye bye Richard and Joey!  :jam:  :yess:

Offline aikman

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »
I can't believe Richard & Joey are out!!! Two weeks in a row the most entertaining contestants get eliminated.

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 07:29:06 AM »
Although I don't particularly like Richard and Joey (as I'm sure many of us don't :lol:) I will admit that the odds were stacked against them this leg. Dealing with a bad goat, unfriendly teams who wouldn't help them out of the mud, and a U-turn - they really did try hard to gain back time but luck wasn't on their side. In my opinion, they actually raced fairly well during the leg except for the final goat task where they lost their cool. I'm glad to see them go, but no there's no one to root against now  (:;) and there's going to be much less drama.

Mel and Alana need to go as far as possible, I love them  :hearts: And I love Mel's quote too, which was something along the lines of "If you get us lost again, I'm going to chuck you off this bridge"  :lol3: Though if they race again on an all stars, they need to learn to drive a manual  :groan:

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wohoo:  :neener:  :wohoo: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves: :waves:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:28 AM »
WoW!!  Fabulous updates!! Thanks so much!!

Sounds like an exciting episode full of KARMA!! :lol3:

Can't wait to watch!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »
WoW!!  Fabulous updates!! Thanks so much!!

Sounds like an exciting episode full of KARMA!! :lol3:

Can't wait to watch!!

I think this was the best episode yet. High drama all the way through, with the footrace to first, and then Richard and Joey coming back and then falling away and then coming back again, only to pull an Ari and Staella and lose thanks to a stubborn animal. The detours were cheap, but challenging and interesting, the Roadblock was one of the great fear tasks that have been sorely missed in the US edition of TAR lately. Working with animals is always inspired, and the great foreshadowed being in the sky chipped in, with Richard and Joey expressing their desire to work with animals while in Africa.

Great episode, head and shoulders above 1, 2 and 3.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
The Amazing Race is always better with goats.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »
Richard & Joey wouldn't have been the first team to survive a U-turn. Dimple & Sunaina did in Amazing Race Asia 4.

My opinion of the teams
Matt & Tom- Have the highest lowest place
Tyler & Nathan- Have the best average
Anastasia & Chris- The girl doesn't do anything and the guy has a temper. Never had a team like this before
Jeff & Luke- I really like these guys, they seem to enjoy the world most out of all the teams.
Sam & Renae- Were rather out of focus this leg
Kelly & Dave- They're entertaining
Alana & Mel- Mel has done 4 roadblocks and is a jerk to Alana. I like Alana though.
Mo & Mos- 3 of the 4 leg they've gotten lucky
Richard & Joey- Their only high finish was a result of a luck based task. I don't understand why they get so much hate.

I like this version. The tasks are all good and all the teams are likable. I'm not a fan of some of the editing, such as how some teams are never shown arriving at tasks. There're also several mistakes with the team labels.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
I love it how after an elimination, most teams are reflective and give credit to their partner for an amazing time etc etc... However Richard and Joey were just peeved that they were eliminated and wanted have a go at Tyler & Nathan who U-Turned them!

Although it was good they were racing to win, they appeared to show no respect to the countires they visited or the fact they had an amazing oportunity to be on the race. Also they did exactly the opposite to their philosphy. Focus, Believe, Achieve they did not!  :lol:
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Deleted Scene from Nathan and Tyler.

And Matt and Tom help the girls with some car trouble.

I like how they note that helping someone now will equal good things coming back at them later, then they went on to win the leg.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
Richard and Joey after their elimination.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »
That was a great episode, not just of this show but of all TAR's.   I am really loving the season, the stunts and tasks, and the cast.

I loved Tyler, bungee it was like they threw a corpse off the side, it was awesome to see a guy so paralyzed with fear.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »
Richard & Joey wouldn't have been the first team to survive a U-turn. Dimple & Sunaina did in Amazing Race Asia 4.

Anastasia & Chris- The girl doesn't do anything and the guy has a temper. Never had a team like this before

Disagree with you. I've seen Mai & Oliver on The Amazing Race Asia 3. Mai seems to expect Oliver to carry her around, and Oliver lost his temper at Mai early on...

And Flight Time & Big Easy survived a U-turn in TAR 18, they were U-turned by Jamie & Cara in the second W-turn. 

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2011, 07:09:20 AM »

Disagree with you. I've seen Mai & Oliver on The Amazing Race Asia 3. Mai seems to expect Oliver to carry her around, and Oliver lost his temper at Mai early on...

And Flight Time & Big Easy survived a U-turn in TAR 18, they were U-turned by Jamie & Cara in the second W-turn. 

I don't count Double U-Turns for that record because there are 2 teams getting done. One of them has to survive it, that's just math.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »

ROUTE INFO: Make your way to Johanessburg? or Port Elizabeth?
Yellow team went via Bangkok at 2:10PM
Some/All the other teams went via KL at 5:00PM

EVIDENCE: Sighting at Macau airport Source

Bay Bay:

My analysis of the flight possibilities indicates that you are correct on Richard and Joey through Bangkok (it was stated on the show), but your information on all others is not. I saw on the telecast the time 1145pm and that happens to be the time for a nonstop flight departure from HongKong to Johannesburg (CX799 2345 0700+1) and there is another (SA287) five minutes later also arriving at 0700+1. No flight combination leaving Hong Kong after 415pm would get there any sooner, so it would not have made any sense for teams to take any later flight including the 500pm flight requiring a double connection and does not go to Kuala Lumpur.

Richard and Joey could made an error in not getting to Johannesburg 1 hour sooner (possible without sweating it by getting any flight from Hong Kong airport to Kuala Lumpur up until MH972 1615 1755 and then the connecting flight MH203 0120+1 0600+1). Alana and Mel and Tyler and Nathan with serious hustle might have been able to get onto those flights, but no other teams could have.  

The flight all teams will get into Port Elizabeth is the first one, KL5785 (codeshare BA6233) 0815+1 0955+1
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:26:37 AM by apskip »

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
I believe there have been 2 other teams that had their heads shaved in a Fast Forward, and would go on to win the race. But it looks like the head shaving did not bring the good karma this time around, with Richard & Joey gone now! And so quickly!

Finally caught up on the episodes, as this is the first time I'm keeping up with a season of an international edition. Enjoying this very much.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:05:05 PM by WalterC »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Walter C,

The head-shaving in Jopdpur India of Uchenna and Joyce led to later victory in AR7. In AR5 Brandon and Nicole refused to have their heads shaved, finished last but were saved by non-elimination in Calcutta and went on to a later third-place finish.  

In Amazing Race Asia 4, the Richards had their heads shaved and went on to later victory.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:52:20 PM by apskip »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
The biggest problem that I had with this episode were the multiple bunching points.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
I think the HoO at the detour was very appropriate as if teams had been let to do the detour:

1. The filming would look bad
2. They'd have to be bunched at the RB - which is stupid right before the Pitstop
3. The U-Turn would be quite ineffective

Offline Elven6

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
I can't believe Grant didn't say anything about the split second race to #1! The follow up was kind of funny though since it seems like Tyler and Nathan could have made better use of the prize than Matt and Tom! :P

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
Yes, Grant is not very talkative.  The way it's edited, it seems like he doesn't want any mat chat, especially from the eliminated teams.   With them, the vibe is almost like he's bouncer at a bar, and if they were there a minute longer, you can imagine him saying "I'm going to have to ask you to leave now...." :rules: 

How often do we see such a close race for first as well as last in the same episode? 

That must have been so frustrating for Richard and Joey to have such a (bald) head-start erased completely, and what relief for Mo and Mos for their penalty to be wiped out!  It certainly made for a tense episode.

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Not a fan of Richard and Joey, but it sucked to see them eliminated! They were entertaining and the Race is always fun to watch when you have someone to root against!  :lol:

Still loving the race, but editing can be worked on a little. Is it me or does it seem like teams just randomly appear at tasks out of nowhere? Establishing their placement before starting the task would be nice!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
The HOO by itself didn't bother me.  The problem that I had was that there were also 2 other bunching points with flights.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
The HOO by itself didn't bother me.  The problem that I had was that there were also 2 other bunching points with flights.

I daresay the leg was planned with a lot of bunching so that Richard and Joey couldn't skip away thanks to the Fast Forward and claim this leg uncontested as well.