Author Topic: Anyone else surprised that leg 1 had an almost identical route to TAR Asia 4?  (Read 144342 times)

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
They used the same sign up board, place to hide clue, same mode of transportation, same rice throwing ceremony, 1 of the 2 detour options was the same, same theme of counting money in a briefcase, same mode of transportation to pit stop and worst of all same pit stop. It just upset me. I would think that they wouldn't have to copy exact routes. I hope the rest of the season doesn't follow along this pattern.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Now I'm glad I didn't watch TARA4 lol
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
We have seen this a lot with some of the franchises...TARA copied TAR, TARaus copying TARA, TARI copying someone....

When you have a network/site/personnel/contacts already in place, it probably makes sense from a financial and logistical sense to use those to expedite setting up a show.

And face it, only a few of us would ever know. But it is the easy way out...

But I am forgiving them a lot because they went with fresh faces and not (as far as we know) heavily recruited teams. Even the 2 mactor teams are interesting and fun to watch....so I can live with recycled locations/tasks.

And my day will be made if someone says "MY OX IS BROKEN!!"  :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
That's a good point, Peach. I never thought it about it that way before.

But I think that as TAR Aus becomes more and more stable as a show (hopefully), they should move more toward originality and making the franchise their own. :tup:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
They used the same sign up board, place to hide clue, same mode of transportation, same rice throwing ceremony, 1 of the 2 detour options was the same, same theme of counting money in a briefcase, same mode of transportation to pit stop and worst of all same pit stop. It just upset me. I would think that they wouldn't have to copy exact routes. I hope the rest of the season doesn't follow along this pattern.

Thanks.  I knew that I had seen some of that stuff before.  I don't really mind that they nearly copied a leg of TARA, I just wish they had nearly copied a better leg.  I still don't know what counting money from a suitcase has to do culturally with Indonesia.

The good news is that I enjoyed most of the cast and the host did a good job.

Also, since Australia has only 2/3 the population of Canada, it still gives me hope of a TAR Canada someday.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
What I would like to see is TAR Asia or TAR Aust go through the USA. At least they can spend more time on it than they do in the US version (apart from the Family version of course!)
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
What I would like to see is TAR Asia or TAR Aust go through the USA. At least they can spend more time on it than they do in the US version (apart from the Family version of course!)

Yes, this would be very exciting indeed! :)
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
As TARAus's Executive Producer is same as TARA - Mr Micheal Mc Kay.

Some Production Team member as well.
LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TAR Oz definitely escalated the tasks lifted from TARA up by notches. Even though that's a turn-off, I am expecting for brand new legs especially in Israel and Egypt. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I am at a loss to understand how you can "escalate the tasks" by copying them on Lombok almost identically. Here is what happened in Ep. 1:

1. visit Pura Lingsar Temple (one of the ARA4 sites)  to get a ceremony mimicing the Holi celebration in Delhi in Amazing Race 12
2. DETOUR of "carry baskets on each team member's head to go 75 yards through crowded Pura Mandalika market without spilling them"
3. ROADBLOCK “Who can you count on to take a dive?” - teams traveled by outrigger to Gili Trawangan Island to a dive area, they find and retrieve a briefcase on the seabed; they count the money to get the next clue
4.  cidomo horse carts (to pit stop this time)

All of these are highly duplicative and I see no escalation of any sort except that in ARA4 it was a late episode with only 5 teams remaining and ARAus Ep. 1 there were all 11 teams involved.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:39:28 PM by apskip »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I am also at a loss that you can't seem to understand figurative phrase. I meant they were painted with a different picture (with different people). And you don't have to enumerate things to me. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member

Thanks.  I knew that I had seen some of that stuff before.  I don't really mind that they nearly copied a leg of TARA, I just wish they had nearly copied a better leg.  I still don't know what counting money from a suitcase has to do culturally with Indonesia.

The good news is that I enjoyed most of the cast and the host did a good job.

Also, since Australia has only 2/3 the population of Canada, it still gives me hope of a TAR Canada someday.

And now, 8 years later, in 2019, TARCAN has more seasons than TARAus.

I have just started to watch TARAus1, almost right after TARA4, and I was quite stunned by the blatant copying and pasting of TARA4. However, considering the logistics involved, I can understand why the producers would do that.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
BUT TAR Australia have more international legs than Canadian's one
TAR AU 3 (ANZ) have less recycled tasks because it was home production by TV7 channel.
And don't forget the fact:UK with about 2.5 more inhabitants than Australia also should have our version despite the chance is slim because British viewers don't like taped program(s), as Survivor UK ended only after 2 seasons.