Author Topic: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone  (Read 45872 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
Liechtenstein only had a population of about 30,000. I, personally, wonder just how high the density of travel on those main roads are. There are a couple of more remote border crossings in the far norht of Liechtenstein, but it seems to me to be problematic getting teams to them, to start the moped ride. The Highway 191 crossing only appears to be a couple of miles from the Feldkirk train station. Maybe Neobie can clarify, since he had boots on the ground there.

Nothing's too far in this area, especially since the teams had taxis to ferry them around. It took me half an hour by bus, via a very convuluted route (it was a Sunday and the direct wasn't running) from Feldkirch to Schann, and then a ten minute ride between Schann and Vaduz. Traffic (it was, albeit, a Sunday) was close to negligible, but I don't see it being much different on any other day of the week.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »
A first attempt at a Li/Sw map.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »
Here is a map showing Big Pine Key (far west on a level wide enough to show that), the west end of Marathon Key, Galway Bay Mobile Home Park near the west end of Marathon Key, and the New Seven Mile Bridge. The initial level gives you the pin on Galway Bay. Zoom out one level to get the 2km/mile indicator on the lower left to see new Seven Mile Bridge and one further to get the 5km/ mile indicator showing the eastern edge of Big Pine Key.

Central Florida Keys Map  

I want to get this into perspective. The Keys being with mile marker 157 and end at mile marker 0 at Key West. Jules Undersea Lodge is at MM103. Big Pine Key has a range of Mile Markers centering on 31, with 29 on its western edge. To get to Big Pine Key, the taxis driving the teams have to go through Marathon and over the new Seven Mile Bridge. I have seen pictures of perhaps Big Pine Island from the beach on Horseshoe Island, but my efforts to precisely pin down Horseshoe Island have not been successful. Teams then have to retrace US 1 east for about 19 miles to the west end of Marathon Key to find the Galway Bay Mobile Home Park. After that they would get the jetboat ride to the beginning of the Old 7 Mile Bridge. The Old Seven Mile Bridge is currently slated for extinction.

I have learned that a key part of the western end of Old 7 Mile Bridge is definitely already gone. The 2.2-mile span leads to historic Pigeon Key off the west end of Marathon. So, the trike race was only 2.2 miles, not the assumed 7 miles.

below is a photo of Old 7 Mile Bridge.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:24:03 AM by apskip »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »
Working backwards now...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:15:58 PM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
Maps for Legs 8-10, with extra huge map for Zermatt!