Author Topic: Top 5 Discussion  (Read 8509 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Top 5 Discussion
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »
Wow.. 3 more weeks? Who is going home. It should be Jacob. His first song was horrible. I see VFTW wants people to vote for him.. very telling.  I was disappointed with James, I didn't like either one of his songs but it doesn't matter, the judges love him.

The 3 best performances for me:

Lauren: Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody.”

Scotty McCreery: Elvis Presley’s “Always on My Mind.”

Haley Reinhart: The Animals’ “The House of the Rising Sun”

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
Re: Top 5 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
James
1. He rocked it, it was an energetic opening to the show. I didn't feel that there was anything impressive about it, in fact it sounded flat to me at a couple of spots but he was just doing his thing, this is what James is about.
2. He surprised me with that song choice. It's such a Pia song to sing. I don't know if it was that awesome a performance, I didn't think the song really suited him but I felt his emotions and that was beautiful.

Jacob
1. I was TOTALLY with Randy! I didn't think it was that great a performance. To be very honest, I found it whiny and a little desperate. I think it was totally the wrong song choice for him. I agree with Randy a hundred percent, that's not the kinda record he should be making. He's more of a soul, gospel musician rather than a hip-hop artiste.
2. That was definitely better than his first performance, but I'm not sure if it's enough to get him into the Top 4. I recall him saying in the clip before his second song that "If I want to STAY, I should do this..." At this stage of the competition, these guys should be focusing on WINNING, not just STAYING. All that shrieking towards the end of the song was over the top for me and made him seem overly desperate to stay in the competition...

Lauren
1. Throughout the song, I was thinking in my head that that was really "so Carrie"! Even her hairstyle looked like Carrie's. But I loved the performance, especially when she went and hit those high notes. She just gives me this feeling that there's so much more in her that we haven't seen, and I can't wait for her to bring it all out. 'Cos I kinda feel that she's still holding back a little.
2. Lol, I was worried that the song might give her an old-fashioned vibe but I thought that she pulled it off decently.

Scotty
1. Wow, I was impressed with him rocking out tonight! I thought that he was gonna deliver another safe, boring performance but he really pushed himself tonight and I actually really enjoyed the performance. And once again, DialIdol has him the only one safe and on top of the pack...
2. Nice, tender performance, but I didn't think it was as powerful as what he did last week. It was nice though, definitely enough to get him to the next round. Or maybe even the next few rounds.

Haley
1. I disagree with what the judges said, I actually thought that she did a great job with the song. Maybe it's an unfamiliar tune, but it was still a strong performance IMO.
2. I was really worried when I heard that she was gonna do "House of the Rising Sun". I thought that it was just a wild, crazy choice of song that would seal her fate of going home tonight. But my, she really made the song her own and I was BLOWN AWAY with that last performance of the night. I thought that THAT was the best performance of the night, and I really, really, REALLY hope that America gives her another chance to go into the Top 4...

It's pretty clear that Scotty, Lauren and James are going nowhere tonight, so it's down to Jacob and Haley. Much as I predicted Jacob to be gone this week, it's hard to tell. Haley looks like she has the lowest votes as of now according to DialIdol, and I worry that she will not have as many votes as Jacob to get through. I mean, she never did have many votes to begin with, and Jacob now has VFTW backing him (grr someone burn that organisation down). But I'm just hoping against hope that America recognises the potential in her and votes for her to carry on. Please, please, please! Hee...
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
Lauren:

Scotty:

Hayley:

Jacob:

James: (A lot of videos of this song have been blocked. Hope this one lasts.)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
I hope you are right Ruth. Hayley needs to stay but even if she leaves tonight she will still be a winner because Pia is doing great and Hayley will be free to do what she wants to do instead of being in a contract with AI. (Unless they have changed the contract. IMO Nigel Lythgoe is clueless about what makes a good recording or great artist.) (She'll have to do the tour of course but that's OK, see if you like touring.)

Every week Randy has put the zinger on Hayley now all of a sudden he thinks she's grown by leaps and bounds? J Lo had it right, she sang her butt off, Steven said it was sweet, sour and raspy, she sold everyone last night.

James did not perform his best but maybe his voice has been overrated. I heard a lot of bad notes and he was pitchy, has that been covered up with the screaming?  :umn:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »
James -

First performance: Omg... it was flat throughout and i thought it was a horrible start to the show. I felt like watching a high school performance. It was so bad, shrieky throughtout that i had to fast forward the performance.

Second performance: Train-wreck. America LIKES James being a rocker. I think he just destroyed his chances in the Final 2. I nearly died listening to him sing through the song.

GOOD FOR HALEY! :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
Jacob -

First song: No Air...? Wow. That sounded as if like he had no more air to get into the Top 4. If there's one thing James can be happy about, it's that Jacob's song choice was weirder than his. :lol:

Second song: Oh my god, after so many rounds... there's absolutely no breakthrough to his performances at all.

Let's just put it this way, alot of Americans are going to be really unhappy if he stays tomorrow.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
Sorry listening as I post...

Scotty -

First song: Oh my God, that song... amazing. I loved it! From this performance you can literally see how Scotty grew from the very first time he was on stage... until a seasoned performer now. WOW. :hearts:

Second song: Wow.. he went from high energy to soft, touching songs... what a smart lad. :lol: I think he sang the second song well, but it was the first song which blew me away. We really saw the different side of Scotty and I think he's going to gain EVEN MORE VOTES tonight. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:03 PM »
Lauren -

First song: Lauren's getting slimmer... slimmer... sexier each and everyday! Can i just say she reminded me of JHud now too! :lol: Just sign her on and give her a contract already! The first song had so much power and energy that I even rocked on to the tune of the music. And this is coming from someone who hates ROCK. I say kudos to her for GOOD SONG CHOICE.

Second song: Unchained Melody... when she sang the first note... she sent chills down my spine. WOW. She sang it so beautifully... i really thought it was going to be a boring song choice and it turns out it was not that bad. Hopefully America likes it!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »
Haley -

First song: I love the first song! I don't care what the judges say! I would listen to it on the radio! GREAT VOCALS!

Second song: I remembered Siobhan sang it last season.. and i thought it was too shrieky... but it turns out HALEY KNEW IT with acapella singing in the beginning! I'm in love with her vocals for this song!

OMG, Haley needs to stay in this competition! She's clearly a strong contender for the F2 as well. I'm going to take a bet and say that being the last performer will help her stay another week!

GO HALEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Jacob -

First song: No Air...? Wow. That sounded as if like he had no more air to get into the Top 4. If there's one thing James can be happy about, it's that Jacob's song choice was weirder than his. :lol:

Second song: Oh my god, after so many rounds... there's absolutely no breakthrough to his performances at all.

Let's just put it this way, alot of Americans are going to be really unhappy if he stays tomorrow.

Joab, did you get the feeling that Jacob was trying to be like James last night? He should just sing, he doesn't need all that drama. He tries too hard. I wish someone would mentor him, just tell him to sing the song, it isn't life or death. He's got the voice. He won't win, he'll be gone tonight or next week.

LOL at your James comments, I so agree with you. And it is good for Hayley! I hope he does this next week to, he'll be out for sure.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
BEST 3 PERFORMACES:
1. Haley (The house of the rising sun) :jam:
2. Lauren (Unchained Melody)
3. Scotty (Gone)

Clearly, Jacob's toast. If he doesn't leave tomorrow. Expect loads of boos.

I won't be surprise if James belong to the Bottom 2 (if there's any).

And i'm going to be daring and say that Haley, Lauren and Scotty won't be in the BOTTOM 2 at all. :lol3:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
Jacob -

Joab, did you get the feeling that Jacob was trying to be like James last night? He should just sing, he doesn't need all that drama. He tries too hard. I wish someone would mentor him, just tell him to sing the song, it isn't life or death. He's got the voice. He won't win, he'll be gone tonight or next week.

LOL at your James comments, I so agree with you. And it is good for Hayley! I hope he does this next week to, he'll be out for sure.

I really thought James screwed himself big time by trying to "not be himself". What was he THINKING?

As for Jacob... it became a drama moment for him again. I had no idea why but maybe that's just him? Drama and singing = EWWW. (When you're watching a singing competition and not a play)

I don't think Jacob was trying to be James... rather i thought that he has simply run out of his steam. Perhaps he was limited by the song choice or what, but i felt that he was trying too hard. :(

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
Based on tonight, Scotty might very well replace James in the Final 2. I did think that Scotty would be gone in the Final 4 but come to think of it, it's almost impossible to imagine his MEGA fanbase dying all of a sudden. Maybe we WILL get a Lauren-Scotty Final 2 after all, and Scotty might very well win it. Geez.

Yes, Jacob had better be gone tomorrow. He was clearly desperate in his performances, all that shrieking. James may or may not end up in the bottom 2, I think his fans still love him. What more, he bore his heart, that might just win them over even more. Of course I won't be surprised if he does end up there. But I THINK the bottom two might still be Jacob and Haley.

But... *Prays super hard that Jacob goes home*

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »
Haley brought the house down!! ♫♫♫ :jumpy:

Lauren finally got some attitude with her singing. nice to see what she brought to the first  audition back to the fore-front of the show! She does seems like a deer in the headlights  from time to  time in her performances! :lol3:

Scotty did soo well he almost has me changing my mind! :iok

James did awesome as well.

Jacob's time is up if you ask me.. it's always the same  for me with him.. :helpme
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
WTF. LAUREN IN BOTTOM 2 :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow:

IF THERE'S ANYTHING I'M HAPPY ABOUT. IT WOULD BE THIS WILL KEEP HER SAFE NEXT WEEK! :tup:

The Final 5 bottom few has produced a few shocker in the past 10 seasons.

In season 8, Kris Allen and Adam Lambert was the Bottom 2 and 3 and both went all the way to the Final 2.

In season 2, Ruben was clearly a front-runner and when he was announced to be the Bottom 2. Everyone was enraged.

In other seasons, the bottom 2/3 which consisted of other inconsistent performer will result in his/her elimination immediately for the next week. But for the case of Lauren, i believe it shocked many and this Bottom 2 placement literally just gave her a one way ticket to the F2. Lauren's supporters will vote crazily for her next week and she won't be in trouble. If i were Hayley's, Jame's or Scotty's fan.. i'll be worried.

I'll say definitely that Scotty is the clear front-runner but you really never know. F4 eliminations has produced shocking results over the years. The most famous being the elimination of Chris Daughtry.

Next week, i really don't know who's going. I think I feel it's Haley. But i'm keeping my fingers cross that it's James. I like James the least out of the 4. But to be truthful, the 4 of them are actually most deserving to be in this position. :tup:

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 04:00:06 AM »
Wow! I never did expect Lauren to EVER be in the bottom two this season, was definitely shocked to see her there. But was it just me, or was there not much shock in the Idol atmosphere? I remember there were lots of boos when Pia was in the bottom two, but not with Lauren and that kinda worries me. I did think she was gonna win this whole thing, but now I'm thinking that Scotty might very well lead the votes all the way to the end. He's unstoppable and so are his voters!

THANK GOD Jacob left tonight, it was high time he went. And wow, who'd think that after all the gender bias in the first 5 episodes, we now have an even number of girls and guys left? I'm amazed! America does get it right after all. =)

Next week, I think Haley leaves. She wasn't in the bottom two tonight (wow!) and her voters might not feel the sense of urgency to vote for her. Lauren's fans will probably vote madly, Scotty has an indestructible fanbase. The only other hope I can hold on to is James getting eliminated but he's never been in the bottom three, which says something about his fanbase. So I guess that leaves us with Haley... Then again, who'd have expected her making the Final 4 after consistently being in the bottom three? I'm impressed and I'm proud of her!

I kinda think Scotty will win this season. It's already down to the Final 4 and his votes are still unbeatable. So... We'll see.

But Lauren, Haley all the way!!!!

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »
I agree with both Joab and Ruth that Lauren's fans will vote like crazy next week..  :tup: I also think they (production) did that to her because they want to market  HER so scaring the crapola outa her and her fans should make a change in how she places next week.  that is of course unless she BOMBS a complete song!

I would lve to see Lauren Haley and Scotty as the F3. I think james has a lot of followers  and a life after idol but i dont see him winning this at all. if he does.. give me some paper so i can eat my words!! :lol3:

Not once have these kids sung well in group performances! They all sound outa sync each time.   It's like a bad Christening party where the kids got the mic! Talk about PITCHY!! :doh:

Ramsey.. poor poor Ramsey.. he has to keep doing all these little stunts to keep the  fans of hells kitchen and master chef on his good side!! I believe  him as a "filler" for American Idol was a waste!! the man isnt even AMERICAN... :ugot

I'm sure they coulda had some  Service Corps groups come in and sing  and get a  larger rating(considering the happenings of the week)!

Ramsey.. you were FLAT!!  :hellkitchen
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
What I think is cool about this season's Final 4 is that IMO, none of them were really, really strong at the beginning of the competition. I recall when it was still the Top 12 guys and girls week, I was thinking in my mind that if Scotty and James didn't make it to the Top 12, it wouldn't be a pity. Same thing for Lauren and Haley, whether they made it to the Top 12 or not, it didn't matter to me 'cos they were good but not THAT impressive. At least in my opinion. They weren't clear standouts like Pia, Jacob and Casey.

But look at them now! They made it all the way, maybe some of us didn't even see it coming. I didn't expect Haley and James to last so long. I didn't expect Scotty to be more than a one-trick pony. I didn't expect Lauren to grow so much over the season. I think that's what Idol is all about. It's not about us watching early favourites like Pia, Jacob and Casey plateau on stage. But it's about seeing raw talents whom we didn't think much of initially grow and bloom into stars on stage. I think that it's really a beautiful thing!

I think James, Lauren or Scotty could win it. (I can't say the same for Haley but there's no denying she has mad talent and potential.) It's going to be a tough fight for the crown! This makes it so exciting. Last season, it was so obvious that Crystal and Lee were the only ones standing out. Man I can't wait to see what happens next week!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
I am praying for a Lauren win. Hallelujah.