Author Topic: TAR 18 EP 12 "This is where it ends" (Brazil and Florida)>>THIS IS FOR FLORIDA  (Read 141074 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Here's a great interview with Gary and Mallory.

Especially this part:

It seems like all the blame for your third-place finish is being placed on the cab. Do you think that was the biggest factor in falling behind?
Mallory: "Yeah, it had to be. It's funny because we got out of the airport and got in the cab and it had a GPS and English speaking driver and everything was fine, and then this lady knocked on the window and said she'd been waiting for the cab for 30 minutes. So, we got out and got into a different one. We're nice, polite people so we weren't going to not let her have that cab if she'd been waiting that long but I think it might have lost us a million dollars!"

:'(  :'(  :'(
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Anyone know how long they spent doing each task? Since they arrived early in Miami and reached the finish line around sunset, those tasks were obviously pretty time consuming. I presume they were at the trailer park task for several hours. And have they revealed how much time elapsed between k/j and g/m reaching the finish line?

mds,
I will make a guesstimate of a timeline for Dec. 13 in South Florida, from which you can see that most time was spent in taxis:

Arrive 0936 AA930
Clear customs and ready to go from Miami airport 1015
drive from MIA airport 2100 NW 42nd Ave. Miami to Miami Marine Stadium Marina 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway 11 miles 20 minutes  1035
ROADBLOCK at Marina 15 minutes   1050
drive from 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway to Jules Undersea Lodge 51 Shoreline Drive Key Largo 55 to 59 miles (2 routes, same time) 65 minutes   1155
ROADBLOCK at Jules Undersea Lodge varies from 15 minutes for Big Easy to 30 minutes for Mallory (Gary/Mallory 30 minutes behind from this point on)   1210
drive from Key Largo MM103 to Big Pine Key MM29 74 miles 85 minutes   1335
wade across the channel to Horseshoe Island and find clue box 30 minutes   1405
wade back across the channel to Big Pine Key to find motorboat 30 minutes  1435
fast motorboat ride for 19 miles back to Marathon Key Galway Bay 20 minutes   1455
find Galway Bay Mobile Home Park entrance to get a trailer and roll it to assigned site 10 minutes   1505
set up trailer exterior like model unit in picture in 20 mph wind 30 minutes 1535
walk 2800 feet to beginning of Old Seven Mile Bridge, then tricycle out 2.2 miles to the Finish Line into the wind 35 minutes
LaKisha/Jen finish around 1610, Flight Time/Big Easy finish around 1615, Gary/Mallory finish around 1640

Note that sunset for Miami on December 13, 2010 was at 532pm and for Pigeon Key maybe 2 minutes later.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:39:49 AM by apskip »

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
Here's a great interview with Gary and Mallory.

Especially this part:

It seems like all the blame for your third-place finish is being placed on the cab. Do you think that was the biggest factor in falling behind?
Mallory: "Yeah, it had to be. It's funny because we got out of the airport and got in the cab and it had a GPS and English speaking driver and everything was fine, and then this lady knocked on the window and said she'd been waiting for the cab for 30 minutes. So, we got out and got into a different one. We're nice, polite people so we weren't going to not let her have that cab if she'd been waiting that long but I think it might have lost us a million dollars!"

:'(  :'(  :'(

:'( Why couldn't she have knocked on someone elses window? Like Kisha & Jen's? LOL

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I would have said forget it and tried to pay her to wait a little longer. :lol:

This makes me love Gallory all the more! :<3

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
Yeah, that's sweet and everything...BUT this was a race for a million bucks, not a Miss Congeniality contest! I'm sorry, but you're either there to win a million, or you're there to give the million to someone else. While luck plays a part in determining the outcome of the race, this was not the case with Gallory as much as I had previously thought. This was a choice they made voluntarily, and that blunder cost them the race. I really like them as a team, but that's not the type of decision that people who are in it to win it make. Noble and courteous they are, but cunning and strategic players they are not. Sorry, but after hearing this, I don't think Gallory deserved to win the race.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I'm afraid most people including myself will disagree with you, mds, that Gallory did not deserve to win, but I do agree with you that if one really wants to win a million dollars then they must be cunning and strategic.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:18:59 PM by Prophet »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Your time-frame matches up with what Nathaniel said here, apskip.
Nathaniel "Big Easy" Lofton: Yeah, well we figured the best time to get gas was while we were doing something instead of us sitting in the car waiting for him to stop and get gas, because that's nerve-wracking, it would seem tougher to do. So we figured if he's going like that -- but it didn't make a big difference, you know? Because at one time or another, everybody had to get gas because it was like a seven-hour leg.   

Offline mds1978

• RFF Jr. Member
Prophet- I'm only saying that based on Gallory's decision to sacrifice the golden taxi with GPS after they were already supposedly in the car, just cause some lady knocked on the window and complained that she was waiting for the cab...to do that when you're at the home stretch of a race for one million dollars is just incredibly poor judgement, and that was entirely their fault.

I think it's important to point out what actually happened at the airport just because there's a LOT of rage about the taxi screwing over Gallory, and portraying them as victims of a bad taxi driver, and how their bad luck with the taxi cost them the race. But I think the reaction would be a bit different if the editors had shown them sitting in a good taxi but then voluntarily giving it up to be polite...instead of the "Gallory was robbed!!" mentality, the reaction would be a little more balanced, with Gallory sharing in some of the blame for their loss, which would be more accurate. The editors never held back when it came to highlighting everyone else's blunders this season, and Gallory should be no exception.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Gallory was not robbed, neither have I seen anyone saying that. They're just not destined to win, because they're nice people... isn't it better to put it this way?

They're indeed victims of a bad cab, BECAUSE they chose to give up their good cab for the lady who had been waiting 30 minutes for a cab. So i say they sealed their own fate, which is true.. but they did not blame it on anyone did they?? They only mentioned about the bad cab which they still chose to stick with for like throughout the leg, which is a FACT. They're just pointing out that they LOST because of the bad cab but they're not BLAMING it on the bad cab.

But for the viewers or posts by others, i was definitely just kidding when I "blame" the bad cab because they should have just gotten another one or STOPPED for directions. Ask Jill and Thomas about that and they'll agree with you. But besides their own decision to give up on a good cab because of their character which caused them the win, the bad cab was another main factor which destroyed their chances. Who knows even if they chose not to give up the cab, they would have gotten lost because the cab driver simply suck?

:lol3: Okay, loads of weird reasoning, but yea. :lol3:

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
Prophet- I'm only saying that based on Gallory's decision to sacrifice the golden taxi with GPS after they were already supposedly in the car, just cause some lady knocked on the window and complained that she was waiting for the cab...to do that when you're at the home stretch of a race for one million dollars is just incredibly poor judgement, and that was entirely their fault.

I think it's important to point out what actually happened at the airport just because there's a LOT of rage about the taxi screwing over Gallory, and portraying them as victims of a bad taxi driver, and how their bad luck with the taxi cost them the race. But I think the reaction would be a bit different if the editors had shown them sitting in a good taxi but then voluntarily giving it up to be polite...instead of the "Gallory was robbed!!" mentality, the reaction would be a little more balanced, with Gallory sharing in some of the blame for their loss, which would be more accurate. The editors never held back when it came to highlighting everyone else's blunders this season, and Gallory should be no exception.

Well, IMO there had to have been plenty of cabs around.  Waiting 30 minutes for a cab my azz! Kisha & Jen got one, Herb & Nate got one as did Gary & Mallory.  This lady saw the filming going on and just wanted her 15 seconds of fame, that's all.   I commend TPTB for not giving that to her. (not showing it). 

As far as them not deserving to win, I say they were the most deserving team to win! But, unfortunately, they didn't. :'(

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I hadn't thought of that but it's a great point, one would think that at Miami International Airport she should have been able to find a cab.

They handle more international flights than any other airport in the country. There should be several dozen cabs on hand at all times at the terminals. I suppose it could have been really busy but it seems an odd coincidence.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Yeah, that's sweet and everything...BUT this was a race for a million bucks, not a Miss Congeniality contest! I'm sorry, but you're either there to win a million, or you're there to give the million to someone else. While luck plays a part in determining the outcome of the race, this was not the case with Gallory as much as I had previously thought. This was a choice they made voluntarily, and that blunder cost them the race. I really like them as a team, but that's not the type of decision that people who are in it to win it make. Noble and courteous they are, but cunning and strategic players they are not. Sorry, but after hearing this, I don't think Gallory deserved to win the race.

Actually, I also heard that they tried to convince the lady that they needed the cab, but she was insistent on it.  Maybe they felt that they might get into a fight over it, and it wasn't worth it -- especially if the other teams were already leaving in their taxis.  Remember, every second counts on the last leg.  Besides, how were they to know that their second cab driver would be so bad?

Belle Book

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Interesting, because production had called for cabs.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

That makes me even more angry. >:(

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member

Yep... The lady just wanted her face on the TV.  Kudo's to producers for leaving her mug on the cutting room floor!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?

Yep... The lady just wanted her face on the TV.  Kudo's to producers for leaving her mug on the cutting room floor!

Before we all assume the lady wanted to get her face on TV, lets consider the possibility that she was just really selfish and wanted a cab right away, like the three teams seemed to be getting right before her eyes.

And of course, there is the possibility that she had been waiting half an hour, which would make the three teams getting cabs instantly even more infuriating. Yes, production called for cabs, but that doesn't mean everyone else who was at the airport that day would have been getting them straight away too, so wouldn't it make you frustrated to be waiting and see three groups in a row get one instantly right by you?

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member

Well, IMO there had to have been plenty of cabs around.  Waiting 30 minutes for a cab my azz! Kisha & Jen got one, Herb & Nate got one as did Gary & Mallory.  This lady saw the filming going on and just wanted her 15 seconds of fame, that's all.   I commend TPTB for not giving that to her. (not showing it).  

As far as them not deserving to win, I say they were the most deserving team to win! But, unfortunately, they didn't. :'(

I'm going to have to agree to this. People associated with the production did tell the taxi operator that they'd need three cabs, and all three cabs were lined up right behind one another.

There were plenty of other cabs available in the immediate area.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
Am I correct in assuming that the Rickenbacker Causeway where the Miami Marine Stadium Marina is located on is the same Causeway where the first Miami clue box was placed in the final leg of Race 7?

Also, does anyone know if the teams were held up together in customs so they would have a more equal chance to get to the taxis?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Yes, I think the TAR 7 teams were very near to the marina. I can't determine quickly whether they stopped on the strip of land before Biscayne or were on it's tip. But they were definitely right in there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I can tell you that teams are NEVER held up in customs together. Sometimes you are out first, sometimes you are not... it CAN make a difference.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
Another interesting Gary and Mallory interview, with some info about timeline and where things went wrong.  Was hoping they'd mention more about the riddles to get to the undersea lodge that Jen & Kisha referred to. 

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-mallory-and-gary-ervin-talk-about-the-amazing-race-12281.php

Also some interesting comments about other things that went on in other legs.  Really like their attitudes.

auburnsuperfan97

I can tell you that teams are NEVER held up in customs together. Sometimes you are out first, sometimes you are not... it CAN make a difference.

Yes, if i remember correctly, in amazing race 3,
Flo and Zach were the 1st ones in customs, flo was the 1st out,zach was last out.

Offline kasaliako

• TARA2 Racer VIP
  • RFF Newbie
Hi there georgiapeach!!!

Remember me???

Terri Reed of The Amazing Race Asia season 2

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Terri!! :hearts:

Of COURSE we remember you!! What are you and Henry up to these days??

Wonderful to see you here!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Yes, I think the TAR 7 teams were very near to the marina. I can't determine quickly whether they stopped on the strip of land before Biscayne or were on it's tip. But they were definitely right in there.

The season 7 cluebox was on the opposite side of the Rickenbacker Causeway from where the marine stadium is located (headed towards Virginia Key and Key Biscayne). That is a public beach area that runs along the roadway.  IIRC, there's also clips in that season finale showing the end of a bridge superstructure as the roadway returns to ground level, and that would be the far end of the first bridge (that starts after the toll booths at the causeway entrance at Brickell Avenue.) I'd have to go pull out season 7 and watch again to be any more precise; but as I recall, effort was made at the time to pin down that cluebox location, and that is what I remember at the moment.
-- theschnauzers