Author Topic: The Voice on NBC  (Read 13219 times)

Offline KitKat

• RFF's Kitty Kat
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
The Voice on NBC
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
Just a little preview! I watched the premeir and it was great!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:10:13 AM by KitKat »
delightful just delightful

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: The Voice on NBC
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »
I DVR'd it and need to watch. I believe an Austinite is trying out for the show.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
I love how nice the judges are to the contestants and up to this 1st episode, the singers are all good...you have to watch it, TL!!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
Not everyone was good enough to make the second round of Auditions. I recall 3 singers getting the "no coaches interested enough to use one of their precious spots" treatment. That is perfectly fine, as talent clearly varies. The ones not selected were not worse singers; they just did not have vocal qualities the judges were looking for.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
I have to admit I enjoyed the show.  I hope it continues to impress me.  Love the competition between the celebrities.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
luv it luv it LUV IT!!!! :jumpy:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
I LOVED it! I believe Blake's got the best team so far. Though I'm pulling for Adam!

Offline ruby2011

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »
I watched That Show was very excited. :ascared
Know Thyself

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
I saw the second episode of The Voice. It's still very hard to discern what qualities the superstars are looking for among the individuals on their teams: why did they pick person X and not person Y?

It will be interesting to see the training methods that the superstars as coaches use. Next week's "cut in half" round should also be fascinating.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
I am soo in love with this show!!

Luv the format!

Luv the interaction we're getting from the judges!

Luv the competiveness of the judges

luv the singers!!

If i'm not mistake the young girl  rachel was either on Law and order SVU or anotehr singing contest.. i have to reseach her out :D She's awesome!!

I'm gonna LUV next weeks show with the sing off but i will also be sad to see my favs go.. and yes i already have  favs!! :lol3:

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Oh yeah and the guy who sang Celo's song he was on the  acapella show  on NBC called the SING OFF with Ben Folds if memory  is in tact! :lol3:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
ugot,
I do not remember anyone on The SignOff 2 who looks anything like Nakia, age 36 and from Austin TX (who sang Celo's song). Here are the 10 groups that competed on The SignOff2 a cappella group copmetition:

The Backbeats
Los Angeles, California
a cappella singers from the University of Southern California and the University of California Los Angeles, this group of 5 male and 5 female 20-somethings incorporates their disparate styles and tastes into one synthesized sound, fused together by their love of pop, R&B and soul

Eleventh Hour
Kettering, Ohio High School
the youngest group in the competition, 4 females and 3 males

Pitch Slapped
Boston, Massachusetts
music teachers and students from the Berklee School of Music, 7 males and 5 females

Groove For Thought
Seattle, Washington
a jazz/R&B group with a father/daughter duo included, 2 females and 5 males

Men of Note
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
8 males with sports backgrounds, graduates of Cherry Hill High School West

Street Corner Symphony
Nashville, Tennessee
6 males doing country western and R&B type styles

On the Rocks
Eugene, Oregon
15 males

Committed
Huntsville, Alabama
6 males doing gospel style

Jerry Lawson & Talk of The Town
Oakland, California
Jerry spent decades with the Persuasions and it making his comeback as the lead singer with 5 other very talented, smooth singers

The Whiffenpoofs of Yale
New Haven, Connecticut
12 males from the original a cappella group in 1909

I double-checked video of Street Corner Symphony, which has 2 guys who look vaguely like Nakia, but there is no match there.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »
I guess then my memory ISN'T in tact when i made that comment then! :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »
I was disappointed last Tuesday when the telecast showed 2 singers from each team chosen to compete head to head on the same song. It would not have been awful if one sang a complete song and then the other did the same song. To have them both singing at the same time was pretty absurd. The quality level of all the singers is high enough that all these sing-offs were very competitive. it would have been nice for NBC to have the coaches provide some rationale for their decisions on who survived.

Bring on America's Got Talent and the X-Factor! The Voice is now of limited interest.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
There have been 3 "battle rounds" since the first one and I have found this show very disappointing. Part of this is the style of music not fitting my preferences, part of it is the format of having two singers sharing the song, part of it the inanity of the "coaching" and part some actual performances being (as one of the other coaches put it) "pitchy."

I was looking forward to learning something from watching the 4 coaches, each a major performing artist, plus 4 advisors (including Reba McEntire and Monica) work. The major advice was "emote, emote, emote".

There are now 16 singers left, 4 on each team. We will see how they are eliminated to come u0p with a champion.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
The live rounds will be 2 hours starting at 9pm tonight for several weeks.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Last night it was Team Blake competing against Team Christina. all the singers are top-notch, so what separates them can be personal preferences for their style of music or specific vocal qualities.

I personally don't like any of the styles of music represented, but I have some strong opinions on voices. I did not like either of the male voices. Jared Blake has the least talent of any singer left in this competition. Patrick Thomas uses an excess of vibrato.

The youngest women have the best voices in my opinion although I add Frenchie Davis in with them. I found the voices of Raquel, Xenia, Lily, Dia and Frenchie to be the ones I would like to see win. Beverly McClellan has a good voice, but I don't see her as good as the others. However, since my best case scenario has the two females on Team Blake surviving, that would be Xenia and Dia. On all-female Team Christina my case case is Beverly bites the dust and two out of Raquel, Lily and Frenchie survive. I think Frenchie deserves a second chance for her career, which has taken some hard knocks. over the years.

Every voter (you can do so for free at www.nbc.com until 10amEDT Monday) gets to "save" one singer from each competing team and the coach gets to save another one, with the results to be presented Tuesday night on the next show.   On that show Team CeeLo and Team Adam will compete live.

I have to mention one bit of inanity that NBC has been using to court the younger viewers, because it turns me off totally. that is the Twitter correspondent, who is called on by host Carson Daly periodically to summarize what's happening on Twitter relative to the singers. It was a stupid idea and the person who conceived it should be fired.

One more thing that's absurd is all of the coaches' comments, whether they are for their singers or for those of other teams. It is hard to listen to such content-free banter. The coaches are doing a high value talent improvement in their one-on-one sessions with the singers, but what they say on the air is absurdly positive. Nobody ever does anything other than perfection if you listen to those comments. You know that is complete crap!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:35:48 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
the Voice Quarterfinal round, part 2

This was not an exciting round, as the baloney from the coaches drowned out the very good singing from the performers.

The opening was Christina and the audience learning that the fan vote had selected Beverly (ugh) as one of the two going on. Christina then had to select the other one. She chose Frenchie over Raquel and Lily, I think a wise choice given Frenchie's vocal power.

Then the members of Team Adam and Team CeeLo sang for their supper The Thompson sisters were particularly comely doing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in 2 parts (the Andrews sisters did it in 3). Vicci Martinez, Nakia and Curtis Grimes later sang. I expect that the two singers chosen to move ahead will be Nakia and the Thompson sisters, leaving Vicci and Curtis in the dust, but I said that about Beverly so what do I know?

Team CeeLo's Casey Weston, Jeff Jenkins, Devon Barley and Javier Colon. You just have to have Javier on the final team, that's for sure. the other spot could go to anyone, but I liked Jeff the best. That would leave Casey and Devon out.

The final part of this episode was the announcement about Team Blake. All went according to my plan. Dia got the fan vote and Xenia joined her with Blake's vote. The guys Jared and Patrick are out even though they did well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:24:23 PM by apskip »

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
@Apskip: It's Vicci Martinez, not Nicci. It must be from the battle round that you mistakenly remember the Nikki name.  :snicker:

Okay...this is my opinion of The Voice Semifinal 1&2:

Contrary to your beliefs, I actually pick Frenchie and Beverly as the one moving on. Frenchie would be an automatic finalist no matter what happens. As for Bev, I tried to compare her singing that particular song with Lauren Alaina in American Idol. I prefer Beverly's version. Lily and Raquel were also good but for me, they are just ordinary.

For Blake's team, the automatic finalist is Dia Frampton. I don't see a case of her going home last night. However, I had Xenia as the automatic booted one. I have never considered her a strong singer, especially with Patrick Thomas(the only country singer in Blake's team)

CeeLo has apparently picked some unique songs for his singers. I was drawn back by the sisters' song, never heard of them and I felt that it was just CeeLo's desire to see two cute young girls dancing in 70's(?) 40's costume. The automatic finalist in this team would be Nakia and the automatic booted one would be Curtis, for sure. I like Vicci Martinez as the one accompany Nakia to the final but the T&T is quite good last night.

Adam's team, no thinking needed. Javier is the automatic finalist with Jeff Jenkins as the other finalist from Adam's team.

This is just my opinion and I know that sometimes things can go the other way but CeeLo and Adam would be dumb not to save their automatic finalist.  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:56:53 PM by franxaverian »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
The first part of the semi-final episode was to show the results of the audience vote from last week's live performances for the 4 remaining from Team CeeLo and 4m remaining from Adam. The audience vote went to:

Team CeeLo - Vicci Martinez
Team Adam - Javier Colon

Those coaches were then put on the spot to pick one each. CeeLo made the no-brainer pick of Nakia. Adam picked Casey Weston in a surprise to me.

The rest of the telecast was the performances of the 8 remaining singers:
Team CeeLo - Vicci Martinez and Nakia
Team Adam - Javier Colon and Casey Weston
Team Christina - Beverly McClellan and Frenchie Davis
Team Blake - Dia Frampton and Xenia

Each did perform and the coaches were forced to split 100 points between their 2 singers and place it in an envelope to be opened next week. That will count for half of the final score. The other half will come from an audience vote, with the polls closed this morning.

I like Nakia, Javier, Frenchie and Xenia to make the finale. Next week will be the final performances by the selected 4 singers, with the results show the following night. 

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
the show is on tonight .. the final 4 one from each team will b anounced and i think next week will b 2 shows one b ing the fanily..buy i know it is on tonight..my fav's from last night were zaver(?SP) nakita,i like both of blakes girls , and frinchie.. my picks jmo..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
I loved Vicci's song last night. Here were my choices for the final 4
Team Blake: I picked Dia. That was correct.
Team Christina: I picked Frenchie. Too bad that was wrong. *sigh*
Team CeeLo: I picked the Tompson Sisters. Just kidding, Vicci. Thank goodness I was right.
Team Adam: I wanted Casey, but I knew it was gonna be Javier. I was right.
Anyone else see how Xenia missed her elimination? Right before Carson revealed the points, Dia put her arm around Xenia's shoulder. Xenia looked away to smile at Dia, and she looked back when Carson announced Dia was moving on. Hehe!

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »
Ahh thanks for the info Coolio!! :waves:  I got al the way to the end and forgot to extend tivo due to the prez. speech..

wow really beverly over frenchie?? :duno: what was america's margin?

I said day one vicci martinez all the way!! :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »
At this point, I think Javier has a lock on the finale. His competition is Beverly (unbelievable that America put her in over Frenchie), Dia (a very nice woman but was about even with Xenia and does not have a world-class voice) and Vicci (better than Nakia? not a good judgment by America).

Offline StephenWasHere

• RFF Full Member
  • *gasp* You are SUCH a liar, Tom!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »
I've loved this show, but I'm really hoping Dia wins. Like...really badly. After losing Jeff/Xenia/Frenchie, I only have one of my favorites left. Please Dia, WIN IT!
TAR25- Shelley/Nici, Amy/Maya, Kym/Alli, Keith/Whitney
Survivor SJDS: Natalie, Jeremy, Baylor