Author Topic: TAR Google Earth Project  (Read 98382 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR Google Earth Project
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »
KMZ for the absolutely spectacular HaMerotz LaMillion 4 added to page two!

Still looking for Bekanaoka Oi...  :gaah:
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline bubbha

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
Not sure how to do this properly (e.g. attach .kmz files), but here, on Google Street View, is GK Teahouse (TAR12, Leg 10 - Taiwan). It's a chain, but this is the one they visited.

After that, they had to find a clown. Here is where they found him. (Being daytime in this image, most of the stalls haven't been set up.)

Then they go to Youth Park and walk barefoot along a health path, covered with small, rounded stones (which can cause pain!). It's hard to see, but it's right in the middle of the image to the right of the end of the path leading into the park.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:26:47 AM by bubbha »

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Updated through Race 10, and combined into one KMZ and one annotations pdf (by popular demand).  Some updates from previous submissions; for example I think I have some pretty good evidence as to where the old bridge on Mueng Kut (Race 2) was (note the past tense, as it would no longer exist). 

I probably am going to leave it at this, because Neobie will surely finish TAR 11 before I can.  He does some amazing work and anything I would do that he's already done would likely be redundant at best.

Perhaps I will spend the time instead searching for Ban Plai Pong Pang.

Amazing Race 01-10: kmz   
Amazing Race 01-10: annotations
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »
I thought we found Plai Pong Pang...
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Never been very happy with where I've located that pitstop, and reviewing the episode again makes me less confident.  It would seem to me that there should be more buildings in the area.  And boats carrying Mary / Peach and Oswald / Danny are shown in a leftward bend of the river, though that might not be immediately after departing as is suggested.

Any location I've found is subject to revision on further examination.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
Sorry, I meant to say that someone previously had found it. I can't remember who, it might have been Neobie.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2015, 01:22:54 AM »
Added TAR26!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
Finally, a much needed correction has been made to the itinerary of TAR Australia 2. The Detour in Vancouver did not happen at Mount Seymour, and I solved this conundrum by going out to look for it! Haha.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »
Updated some of the icons to better match the different Pit Stop mats used in international versions.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
Finally finished TAR 26, thanks for the reference GB!

Managed to find these tough ones!
- The puzzle box Roadblock in Matsushiro
- My Way Cabaret in Phuket
- The snooker club and engine factory in Bangkok
- The Pit Start marina in Monaco
- The salt lick, "San village", and "ranger station" in Erindi, all of which were close to one another in the Old Traders Lodge
- The Roadblock and Detour locations around Swakopmund
- The hot tub canal in Amsterdam
- The sugar cane plantation in Trujillo
- The potato field in Otuzco
- P2 Ranch in Cleburne

I'm working backwards and am at TAR 11; any definite location for Yanahurco Ranch in Cotopaxi? Imagery there is terrible!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:56:18 PM by Neobie »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »
Added TAR Canada 3. Anyone know where the Roadblock in New Delhi was?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
You mean the turban task? I know where the dropoff spot was--see here. Teams had to run down a long "alley" before finding the spot, so I'm guessing it's here.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
Updated!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
Where can I actually view this project?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
Where can I actually view this project?
GB's stuff is collected here. And Neobie...look for his posts that have attachments.
It would probably be easier if "historians" could work with Peach to move their collections to page 1 of the thread and update as necessary. :please:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »
It would probably be easier if "historians" could work with Peach to move their collections to page 1 of the thread and update as necessary. :please:

I would like that as well, but I'm not sure it's possible without making a whole new thread...

Regarding collecting things, could someone collect Neobie's stuff even if it's not Neobie? I've been asked if I can incorporate some of his stuff into the wiki, but it's kind of spread all over the place.  :didimiss:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Go to Neobies Profile, click see posts, then you can copy paste what you need. That is the only way I could do it either without moving all his posts to a separate thread, which would make us lose the continuity.

If you need me to do something, please PM me EXACTLY what you want and I will try.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Ah, I didn't realize I could click to see just the threads he started. That simplifies things a whole lot.

The original request (by theschnauzers), asks me if I can add in Neobie's maps "From 1-19". But I only see 15, 17 and 19-25. Sorry if I'm totally blind to something ^_^;

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »
Lets see what  Neobie says. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
Added the second season of the Chinese version, also known as "Jisu Qianjin".

Google Earth's depiction of Chengdu in China is massively screwed up. If you see anything wrong there, please tell me. Check either our wiki or the Chinese Wikipedia to get an idea of where they had to go.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
Definitely not as comprehensive as GB's (which includes foreign versions as well as some task information), but I am very confident about the locations for TAR 8-9 and 12-26, cross-referencing against GB's locations and finding some of the more obscure locations along the way (the Thailand cricket-eating Fast Forward in TAR 9, for example; stupid Phil gave the wrong distance and made me search up and down in Lopburi).

I'm slowly working my way to fill in the other seasons!

Since it doesn't add up to be very big I've put all the seasons on the same file.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »
Hi Neobie,

We're actually referring to your maps. The images you make with lines and points drawn on them. I think some people were suggesting you had maps for almost all of the seasons, but not all of them are here. Are we mistaken?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
Would the wiki be able to host the map files on a permanent basis? That might be a more practical solution than keeping them in the forum. Peach could just write a sticky with a link to the files, and I could write a post on using kml/kmz/gpx files.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
My own desire is to avoid duplicates for any one season and download the rest to use with Google Earth/Google Earth Pro. I could never be sure which files to download. At a minimum it might be useful to edit the OP to include the links to the specific posts that have the most current files for particular seasons, that for me would work as well until there is a comprehensive file for the US and for the regional editions.

I do know we have an earlier compilation (and I helped place the season three start point in the Everglades, which was insane because the area had been developed greatly between 2002 and 2012 when we were searching. I at least had managed at TARcon 3 to confirm the area of that start with Drew Riker, since we, as having been former residents of Miami could refer to the area the way the locals did. I'm preety sure I still have the old kmz file on the other notebook, but I may post it if I can find it and if it would be of any value. I also recall trying to help to locate a pit stop in northern Thailand in a rural hamlet that was extremely hard to find.
-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
Added the fourth Vietnam Race. (Yay Laos!)