The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

TAR Google Earth Project

<< < (13/35) > >>

wcpamotm:
I am having trouble imagining doing something like this with tools that were available when the races originally aired.  Street View is a tremendous help, when it is available.  Panaramio photos can provide great supporting evidence, though they can also be misleading because they are not always precisely placed.

Also, a fresh re-watch means that I can sometime pick up details that I missed or didn't remember from before.  A non-relavent but interesting example: it appears that the during the early morning departure from Kasteel Muiderslot in Race 4 leg 6, the same driver appears to have picked up Millie and Chuck, Monica and Sheree, and Tian and Jaree.

Since the above posting, I've modified one route marker, the Tunisian Desert roadblock.  In considering it, it seems unlikely to me that the racers would have been required to make a seven-mile trek across the desert.  Locating this off off Piste Ksar Ghilane Douz would make the walk/camel ride about a mile and a half, and that makes more sense to me.  Also, I've made a few minor tweaks to the annotations spreadsheets.

wcpamotm:
Race 4 files:

Amazing Race 04 - kmz
Amazing Race 04 - annotations

Race 5 files likely ready in 2-3 weeks.

G.B.:
Oh lord, TAR 4! LOL!

Yeah, finding anything in India or Kota Kinabalu during 2009? Not likely! Hahaha! It was a big blurry mess.

But, in addition to that, I made TAR4 and 5 before I saw their seasons. So yeah, thanks for helping me make it un-horrible!

theschnauzers:

--- Quote from: WCPAMOTM on June 17, 2013, 12:49:47 PM ---Since the above posting, I've modified one route marker, the Tunisian Desert roadblock.  In considering it, it seems unlikely to me that the racers would have been required to make a seven-mile trek across the desert.  Locating this off off Piste Ksar Ghilane Douz would make the walk/camel ride about a mile and a half, and that makes more sense to me. 

--- End quote ---
If memory serves me correctly, the information about the location of that task that was not broadcast or included by CBS in its episode summary (that it posted for the early seasons ) came from the post-season reconstruction of the Race that had the assistance of several of the first season teams at TWoP. (Those threads were purged years ago, unfortunately, at a time when server memory was expensive.) You might want to contact those first season teams that have a presence online and see if they can verify the distance question. One alternate possibility is to check Miss Alli's recap of that episode at TWoP, in those days her recaps were about the only alternate source to the CBS summaries.

One reason why I'm not sure the shorter distance fits is the fact that one team got lost trying to reach the RB clue for that leg; the second reason is the broadcast comments of teams during that task, since the team member riding the camel had to spot the oasis for the team member guiding the camel. Since the endpoint wasn't visible when teams started the trek, it is a question of how far in the distance a team member could see to spot the goal, and I suspect that would have been possible when starting out on that task.

wcpamotm:
Theschnauzers, I think what you say makes good sense.  It's possible that an intervening dune might have prevented direct sighting from the second roadblock point, but in the absense of any other confirmed information, Occam's Razor compels us to assume a longer distance.

I think my flaw is that I was trying to make a false choice between about 7 miles and about a mile and a half.  Re-watching the sequence again, it seems certain that Kevin and Drew thought that a vehicle was essential for reaching the roadblock clue, and in all likelihood other teams thought that also.  That could shorten the distance.

Maybe Brennan with his journal might have a recollection of that approximate distance, and Bill has always been generous with any information he has that he can share.  If I ever get the chance, I will ask either or both.

But for now, I will still rate this location with a low degree of confidence.  In my view, this is an ongoing project, and I remain open to adjusting even high-confidence locations when given compelling evidence that it should be.

Aside from that, I have replaced the Excel spreadsheets containing annotations with versions saved in PDF format. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version