The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

TAR Google Earth Project

<< < (28/35) > >>

G.B.:
Trying to upload TAR China 4, but I keep running into problems... For some reason it keeps ending up as an empty KMZ file after upload.

Neobie:
I'm almost done getting the exact locations for TAR6 (that glacier in Iceland and the "elephant polo field" in Sri Lanka were a HUGE pain to find), but now I'm stuck in American territory!

Kris/Jon picked a Detour in Honolulu that sent them to a Hilo Hattie warehouse, but Hilo Hattie has gone bankrupt twice since 2004 and I still haven't been able to find the exact location! Can anyone identify the taller building in the background on the right? That could narrow the search down!

Other notes: Phil says the warehouse is 10mi from the Tantalus Lookout, but his distances can sometimes be way off the mark.

Neobie:
Found it! It's on Pahounui Dr and Sand Island Access Rd.

Neobie:
Thanks to the efforts of GB, Nickf21, and Wcpamotm, I was able to piece together this almost complete dataset for TAR6!

Among the new additions:
- Lews Village near Lalibela, where teams chose to transport a roof or put mud on a wall (DT: raise the roof/mud the hut). This was identifiable by a power line running along the road from the airport, and the slope running down on the left hand side.
- Mahinda College Cricket Ground in Galle, where Freddy/Kendra played elephant polo (DT: elephant trunks). Identifiable in Street View.
- Yangpu Longjiang Vegetable Market in Shanghai, where nobody chose to transport ice from the fish market (DT: ice). Identifiable in Street View.
- Hafei Service Center in Xi'an, where teams spray painted a car (DT: spray). There was a shot with the address written in Chinese on the show.
- Hilo Hattie warehouse, where Kris/Jon searched for Hawaiian clothing to match a model (DT: outfits). Identifiable in Street View.

I'm not sure about the Detour option in Xi'an no one chose (DT: scroll), which Wikipedia shows as "Xi'an Tang Du Factory" but which I haven't been able to cross-reference. Does anyone have more context?

Neobie:
And here's TAR5! Here are the challenging ones to find:
- Pigeon House Farm in Luxor, where Colin/Christie and Brandon/Nicole used a shaduf to bring water out of the Nile. Contrary to what Phil said, this option was actually further from the other side of the Detour, where teams had to get to (the old) Banana Island and bring sheep across the river. (There's now a new Banana Island, which caused me a lot of confusion.)
- Kibaoni in Tanzania, the Roadblock where teams had to eat an ostrich egg. There were some editing shenanigans here: teams must have been transported between sites; the distances are too large for running.
- Kripamayee Kali Temple in Kolkata, the Fast Forward where Brandon/Nicole refused to shave their heads. Wcpamotm had the right name, but the coordinates on Wikipedia were wrong and pointed to the larger Dakshineswar Kali Temple instead.
- Globe Brick Factory in Kolkata, the Roadblock where teams had to make bricks (Colin: "I'm packing it!"). A sign shown on-screen said it was in Ramchandrapur; from there it's a matter of finding the factory chimney.
- Malagueña Motors in Cavite, where Chip/Kim yielded Colin/Christie. There's a telecommunications tower nearby; finding it would help you find the jeepney shop on Street View.
- The field where Colin's ox was broken, on a rural road in San Benito. It's 4.2km/2.6mi from where teams got off their jeepneys, so the producers must have transported them in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version