Author Topic: TAR Google Earth Project  (Read 98184 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR Google Earth Project
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2015, 04:59:22 AM »
Added TAR27
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
 :cmas26 Awesome!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
Added TAR28
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2016, 04:53:35 AM »
Added TAR Vietnam 2016 (All-Stars)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2016, 01:15:08 AM »
Added Canada 4~

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
Added the third Chinese season, AKA Jisu Qianjin (Olympics version)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:39 AM »
Also added HaMerotz LaMillion 5

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2016, 12:17:12 AM »
Added TAR Asia 5 to Page 2

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2017, 01:57:06 AM »
Added TAR29. Page 2 as always.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »
Added TAR Canada 5

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Trying to upload TAR China 4, but I keep running into problems... For some reason it keeps ending up as an empty KMZ file after upload.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
I'm almost done getting the exact locations for TAR6 (that glacier in Iceland and the "elephant polo field" in Sri Lanka were a HUGE pain to find), but now I'm stuck in American territory!

Kris/Jon picked a Detour in Honolulu that sent them to a Hilo Hattie warehouse, but Hilo Hattie has gone bankrupt twice since 2004 and I still haven't been able to find the exact location! Can anyone identify the taller building in the background on the right? That could narrow the search down!

Other notes: Phil says the warehouse is 10mi from the Tantalus Lookout, but his distances can sometimes be way off the mark.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
Found it! It's on Pahounui Dr and Sand Island Access Rd.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2018, 02:25:54 AM »
Thanks to the efforts of GB, Nickf21, and Wcpamotm, I was able to piece together this almost complete dataset for TAR6!

Among the new additions:
- Lews Village near Lalibela, where teams chose to transport a roof or put mud on a wall (DT: raise the roof/mud the hut). This was identifiable by a power line running along the road from the airport, and the slope running down on the left hand side.
- Mahinda College Cricket Ground in Galle, where Freddy/Kendra played elephant polo (DT: elephant trunks). Identifiable in Street View.
- Yangpu Longjiang Vegetable Market in Shanghai, where nobody chose to transport ice from the fish market (DT: ice). Identifiable in Street View.
- Hafei Service Center in Xi'an, where teams spray painted a car (DT: spray). There was a shot with the address written in Chinese on the show.
- Hilo Hattie warehouse, where Kris/Jon searched for Hawaiian clothing to match a model (DT: outfits). Identifiable in Street View.

I'm not sure about the Detour option in Xi'an no one chose (DT: scroll), which Wikipedia shows as "Xi'an Tang Du Factory" but which I haven't been able to cross-reference. Does anyone have more context?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
And here's TAR5! Here are the challenging ones to find:
- Pigeon House Farm in Luxor, where Colin/Christie and Brandon/Nicole used a shaduf to bring water out of the Nile. Contrary to what Phil said, this option was actually further from the other side of the Detour, where teams had to get to (the old) Banana Island and bring sheep across the river. (There's now a new Banana Island, which caused me a lot of confusion.)
- Kibaoni in Tanzania, the Roadblock where teams had to eat an ostrich egg. There were some editing shenanigans here: teams must have been transported between sites; the distances are too large for running.
- Kripamayee Kali Temple in Kolkata, the Fast Forward where Brandon/Nicole refused to shave their heads. Wcpamotm had the right name, but the coordinates on Wikipedia were wrong and pointed to the larger Dakshineswar Kali Temple instead.
- Globe Brick Factory in Kolkata, the Roadblock where teams had to make bricks (Colin: "I'm packing it!"). A sign shown on-screen said it was in Ramchandrapur; from there it's a matter of finding the factory chimney.
- Malagueña Motors in Cavite, where Chip/Kim yielded Colin/Christie. There's a telecommunications tower nearby; finding it would help you find the jeepney shop on Street View.
- The field where Colin's ox was broken, on a rural road in San Benito. It's 4.2km/2.6mi from where teams got off their jeepneys, so the producers must have transported them in.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2019, 03:28:28 AM »
This is Europe:

This is Europe on TAR:

Any questions? ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
wow!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
I read this thread before I went back and rewatched every season, and I noticed that only the Pitstops from the American seasons were covered. I'm not a pro at this like Neobie, and many of these seasons aren't in English, but I tried to be as precise as possible There are a few that aren't correct, ranging from a few yards to...having no clue (help would be appreciated, especially with HaMerotz LaMillion's Finish Line.), so I put in parentheses in the names of those that I know aren't perfect a short description of how off they are. So here are the Pitstops from the International Versions for anyone who's interested.

Coming back to HaMerotz LaMillion 1, do we have an idea on where the finish line might be? Wikipedia says Black Rock Valley but I have no idea where that name came from.

The aerial shots show the helicopters flying north past Moke Lake near Queenstown, but the mountains in the area don't match the much lower hills at the finish line. The shadows suggest the teams pushed the globes east toward the finish line, but other than that I don't have much to go on...

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »
Thanks GB, Wcpamotm, Nickf21, and others for a great job! I managed to build upon these to precisely locate (almost) all the locations visited on the US version, including:
- The tea shop in Paris where Kevin/Drew got one of the earliest Fast Forwards (TAR 1)
- The Detour in Mexico where Heather/Eve fell off their donkey (TAR 3)
- The field in Kerala where Tian had trouble holding on to a bull (TAR 4)
- The ox-is-broken fields in both TAR 5 and TAR 25 (nowhere near each other!)
- The temple in Jodhpur where Joyce had her head shaved (TAR 7)
- The factory in Macau where teams had to flatten noodles by sitting on a bamboo pole (TAR 11)
- The arena in Bolivia where teams wrestled with the luchadoras (TAR 13)
- The dock in Guilin where teams fished with comorants (TAR 14)
- The wise man in Varanasi which Ron had trouble finding (TAR 18)
- The temple where Mark/Bopper painted tigers on their bellies (TAR 20)
- The wedding venue in Agra serving as the Pit Stop (TAR 27)
- The beach in Cartagena where teams grilled fish and built shelters (TAR 28)
- The workshop in Dar es Salaam where Brooke had trouble making a ladle (TAR 29)

There are still about a dozen places I still can't locate, many of them in the middle of the desert. Some remaining unknowns are:
- Xau Xarra in Botswana where Brian/Greg crashed their car, and the subsequent Pit Stop in Makgadikgadi Pans (TAR 7)
- The plantation in Te Puke where teams crushed kiwis with their feet (TAR 13)
- The arena in Surabaya where Travis/Nicole coaxed a bird to sing (TAR 23)
If you guys can help me with these (marked as "approx" or "spec"), that'd be awesome!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:21:17 AM by Neobie »

Offline Ran_Michal

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
    • Michal & Ran
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »
The finish line of TAR-Israel-1 was 2-3 hours drive from Auckland.
Because of budget issues, the planned final (rumors where - London) was shifted back to NZ with just 2 tasks.
I need to see the episode again in order to find the exact location – Is it available on youtube?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:07:42 PM by Ran_Michal »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2020, 05:06:51 PM »
The finish line of TAR-Israel-1 was 2-3 hours drive from Auckland.
Because of budget issues, the planned final (rumors where - London) was shifted back to NZ with just 2 tasks.
I need to see the episode again in order to find the exact location – Is it available on youtube?

Thanks SO much!! I'll message you.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
As a lover of maps this thread is very cool! I google mapped TAR Canada 7 - https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/oIr0QxlJEAnTQ5O3QrnhpU13aUw_nA?hl=en

I’ll have to figure out how to add to Google Earth with labels on roadblocks, detours, pitstops, etc

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:43 AM »
The latest version of Google Earth has been so optimized on IPad with the iOS 13 that I finally feel brave enough to download the kHz files without overlapping locations from the same race. At this point is there a current index of the files to avoid any duplicate entries?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:03:35 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
Thanks Ran and Michal! Any clues that can help to narrow it down would be useful!

Does anyone want to try their hand at figuring out these two TAR Asia locations?

In TAR Asia 1 (filmed in 2006), teams were driven from Dubai to "Margham Desert Camp", turning right off the road into the desert. Not much to go on, except the road is a two-lane one, meaning it's most likely the road from Highway E66 through Margham to Nazwa, rather than a main highway.

In TAR Asia 3 (filmed in 2008), teams had to drive to "Wadi Tanuf in al-Jabal al-Akhdar". The directions given by production probably weren't very good, because everyone became hopelessly lost. Ida/Tanya checked in first at 5.42pm, meaning the shot of them at the Pit Stop is facing south. However, I can't find any view that matches in the area. Would you guys have better luck?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:25:23 AM by Neobie »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2020, 05:33:18 AM »
Neobie, I'm in the (slow) process of fixing up my KMZs to match your wonderful, excellent work. I'm on TAR3, and I was wondering if you could explain your reasoning for the airfield on Leg 1 in Mexico. The show calls it the Tequesquitengo Airfield, which Wikipedia points to being the same one that I have marked over in nearby San José Vista Hermosa, just a skip away from Tequesquitengo itself.

Not that I don't trust you or anything, lol, but I was wondering if you'd be able to show your work on that one?