Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 10 "Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen" (Switzerland)  (Read 130310 times)

Offline TheAmazingRace4Ever

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Ep 10 "Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen" (Switzerland)
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »
So the detour Kent & Vyxsin are doing does Vyxsin have to pull Kent down the crevice to find a clue? :duno: :duno:
Go Sam & Renae ,  Tyler & Nathan, Alana & Mel, and Jeff & Luke!♥

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
So now weve got Jen/Kisha doing the same roadblock detour as Kent/Vyxsin, and I would say that the team in red jackets in the very first promo is Zev/Justin, doing the searching detour.

Edit- Sorry, I dont know why I said roadblocks haha
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:51:08 PM by mike4lyf »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
The glacier tasks are Detours.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2011, 11:44:37 PM »
caps!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline doedoe

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »

The clock behind BE looks to me as if it is around 2p.m. Can anybody see it better?
In one of the first caps we see the sun a little above the mountain tops, so based on this two pictures I would say they go early in the morning on the mountain for the detour and then later in the day back in town for the RB.

Or maybe 10 after 11?
( just appears one hand is longer...maybe?)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »
Sounded like Mallory shouting "Daddddddddd" from out of the crevasse too........so

Crevasse Detour: Gary/Mallory, Kisha/Jen, Kent/Vyxsin
Rescue Detour: Zev/Justin, FT/BE
Matthew 7:15

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »
Sounded like Mallory shouting "Daddddddddd" from out of the crevasse too........so

When I heard Mallory call dad, it was when screencap 7 was showing?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »

When I heard Mallory call dad, it was when screencap 7 was showing?

There is a lot of wind blowing on that glacier........you would certainly hear it in a recording. Mallory sounded to me like she was down in a well......ie the crevasse.......The recording was very clear and wind free. That is just my spec.......take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:13:00 AM by DrRox »

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
Well, yes it could be any of those chocolate makers - but its probably Felchin, the chocolate maker I noted in my previous post. They are using their equipment... just saying...
Or you could just ignore what I posted and keep looking...

I looked at Felchin earlier this week after raina's post about the warmer, but the clothing from their promotional materials didn't necessarily click with what the staff in the promo is wearing (small green emblem on one jacket), and Felchin appeared to also be an ingredient supplier for others who make chocolate as well, so their name on the machine wasn't entirely conclusive to me, so I continued looking at cooking schools and chocolate manufacturers.  So, not ignoring, just still looking around at yummy chocolate sites.... :food:

I was leaning back to thinking it's a restaurant, given the presence of champagne buckets, coffee cups in the dishwashing racks, and the various serving pieces around the kitchen, but they seem more geared toward dessert service only, rather than full service restaurant kitchen.   :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »

I was thinking that the crevasse detour IS the rescue detour...and the other is the "search" detour.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
I have researched the location of the 35 largest Swiss chocolate manufacturers in Switzerland (there was a French company that snuck into the list I was working from, but that is not within my rules). What I found was that boston_jen may well be correct about where the chocolate task is located. Here is what I found:

the largest number (4) is in Basel
there are a few in Geneva (3)
there are many scattered all around Switzerland
there are none near Zermatt (the closest appears to be Nestle several hours away by train or car in Vevey)
there are 3 in Zurich and 3 in its suburbs, making it the highest concentration

I believe that based on this information, the pit stop for episode 10 is likely to be in the Zurich area or maybe the Geneva area. Basel is out due to the extra time to reach there and the plane schedules being inferior to Zurich.

Well, yes it could be any of those chocolate makers - but its probably Felchin, the chocolate maker I noted in my previous post. They are using their equipment... just saying...
Or you could just ignore what I posted and keep looking...

walking pneumonia,

I think you have got it! MAX FELCHLIN AG is located in Schwyz, a southern suburb of Zurich and on train lines. It is one of the 35 companies I indicated.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
Felchlin has a school/location set up to give instructions to chefs from all over the world on pastries and deserts. This is set up for groups of up to 20 people. They also do a lot of work with moulds/molds.

http://www.felchlin.com/index_en.php?TPL=25000&x25000_ID=119

According to SBB, it is approximately  1:15 to 1:30 hour/minutes from Schwyz to Zurich Airport, if they choose to have the Pit Stop in Schwyz. They could also have the pit stop in Zurich somewhere around some of the same architecture as in Vienna for the HD cameras.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:47:00 AM by DrRox »

Offline raina

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
I saw the Felchlin thing when I mentioned the chocolate warmer, but their facility didn't look anything like the photos we had.  And you can buy the chocolate warmers http://www.scff.com/shop/product.php?productid=27442&cat=1268&page=1&js=n so I didn't think it was necessarily at their facility.    But perhaps it is!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »

I was thinking that the crevasse detour IS the rescue detour...and the other is the "search" detour.

Probably just bad descriptions on my part.........they are both rescue detours.........one rescue from a crevasse and the other is rescue from avalanche...........no?  The buried clue represents a buried person right?

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member

Offline Michel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
Hi!  Newbie here!

I just wanted to ask if this is the first season ever to finish up with all of their NELs before the F4.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
:welcome2: to RFF, Michel!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
Hi!  Newbie here!

I just wanted to ask if this is the first season ever to finish up with all of their NELs before the F4.

Season 3 had a F3 NEL

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
Could the chocolate mold location be at: Teuscher Chocolates of Switzerland in Zurich: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teuscherhk.com%2Fabout%2Faboutus.htm&ei=vr25TbXVA8m2twfu9ojfBA&usg=AFQjCNGykFu6DXIvXWa4sIPw2LTvppukLA

Yes, it could be Teuscher Confiserie. The 6 companies in Zurich or in the suburbs of Zurich, all with about an equal probability of being the proper chocolate manufacturing company lab. The others besides Max  Felchlin AG are:

Chocolats Klaus SA
Kraft Foods
Lienert Conditorei Confiserie
Lindt & Sprungli AG Chocoladefabriken

Offline raina

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
Teuscher claims to have invented the champagne truffles... and aren't there some truffles in the background? Heh.  All of this is pretty weak reasoning I suppose.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:55 PM »
Hi!  Newbie here!

Season 3 had a F3 NEL

Seasons 7 and 9 too.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
Teuscher claims to have invented the champagne truffles... and aren't there some truffles in the background? Heh.  All of this is pretty weak reasoning I suppose.

Teuscher's claim is not supported by real facts, although it does claim to have invented the "champagne truffle" (and may have done so (I don't know). The wife of the founder of Teuscher is currently alive at 92 years old, so it is highly unlikely that her husband the now-deceased Dolf Teuscher was old enough to invent chocolate truffles before 1895. Here is some information on chocolate truffles, particularly the Swiss kind:

The chocolate truffle was first created by M. Dufour in Chambéry, France in December 1895. They reached a wider public with the establishment of the Prestat chocolate shop in London by Antoine Dufour in 1902, which still sells 'Napoleon III' truffles to the original recipe. There are now three main types of chocolate truffles: American, European, and Russia:

The "American truffle" is a half-egg shaped chocolate-coated truffle, a mixture of dark or milk chocolates with butterfat
    A Canadian variation of the American truffle, known as the Harvey truffle, includes the addition of graham cracker crumbs and peanut butter.
    The "European truffle" is made with syrup and a base made up of cocoa powder, milk powder, fats, and other such ingredients to create an oil-in-water type emulsion.
    The "Swiss truffle" is made by combining melted chocolate into a boiling mixture of dairy cream and butter, which is poured into molds to set before sprinkling with cocoa powder. Unlike the previous two kinds of truffles, these have a very short shelf-life and must be consumed within a few days of making.

There are hundreds of different variations of recipes for making truffles.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
I am LOVING all the speculation.

But the gnome RB challenge takes place in Zermatt, with the PitStop there as well.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi!  Newbie here!

Season 3 had a F3 NEL

Seasons 7 and 9 too.

Thats not what he was asking.

Offline sox15

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »
New clip (came on right after Big Bang Theory this evening)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTQgZSJQC4

FT/BE look happy - assume checking in at pit stop.  It's sunny, while Jen/Kisha check in relative darkness.

Looks like Zev/Justin are digging way deep in that snow.  Doesn't look too good for them.