Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 9 "We're Good American People" (Switzerland)  (Read 237724 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18 Ep 9 "We're Good American People" (Switzerland)
« Reply #625 on: April 25, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
For those who attribute the elimination of the Cowboys to being U-Turned by Flight Time and Big Easy, it was totally irrelevant. The fact is that FT/BE arrived in Zermatt at least one hour ahead of Jet/Cord and there is on reason to believe that they did the DETOUR any slower until they discovered that tags were missing. At that time, they had to return to the one hotel where they may have lost them, which would take only minutes in Zermatt. It is my conclusion that Jet/Cord finished the Luggage DETOUR at least a half hour after FT/BE. Since the distance to Restaurant Moos was short, it did not matter whether they were U-Turned or not.

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #626 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »
(but Vyxsin + map = automatic drop in the standings)

My apologies to Vyxsin.  She figured it out on her own, despite her doubts over her wadded-up map, and maintained their third place standing afterall.  Her decision to put Kent in the luggage cart was a riot. 

Actually, Vxysin got help with the map from Gary...

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #627 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( THE COWBOYS!!!!

well, at least they went out with a smile... :tup: and love their music playing as a tribute (also sad that it's probably the last time we'll ever hear it, unless there's an Amazing Race: Heroes vs. Villains)

anybody else noticed how the greeter seemed to be crying watching
Jet and Cord being eliminated?

One more thing... I'm a new member, can anyone tell me how I can add a picture to one of my posts? I don't understand how to do it.

I liked the Cowboys too, I hated seeing them eliminated.  :'(

You can find help with adding pictures here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,12374.0.html
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #628 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »

Actually, Vxysin got help with the map from Gary...

Did she?  My daughter sat on the remote right after Justin and Jen showed their 22k papers, so it must have happened around then.  I will have to rewatch.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:57:33 AM by boston_jen »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
I believe Justin and Vyxsin are the only ones who solved it on their own, besides the cowboys..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #630 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
I actaully think Gary may have already had it too, even though FT gave him the number?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #631 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
I actaully think Gary may have already had it too, even though FT gave him the number?

I think so too.  I just re-watched.  Justin & Jen helped each other, then they helped Herb.  I think Gary helped Vxysin with the map and I think he had the number right but Herb confirmed it.  Although they didn't show it, I think Gary helped Jet with the map and then Gary fell in behind Jet who then took off but he was so far off that he had to redo it.  LOL :groan:  He should have thrown out the 17.5 and taken Gary's 10.75 at that gas station and went from there. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #632 on: April 25, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »
I believe Justin and Vyxsin are the only ones who solved it on their own, besides the cowboys..

I went back and watched. Justin and Jen both had correct numbers, all Justin did was confirm Jen's number. He didnt tell her the number, just that her number was correct. The crazy editing makes it look like they helped each other out before they got to the check in point. When Jen offered to read the map for Justin, that was after they both got correct numbers and were on the way to the castle......editing makes it look like it was before.

Vyxsin got help from Gary. She actually parked the moped and started trying to find local help before Gary arrived. Flight Time got the correct milage from Jen and then gave it to Gary, even though Gary probably already had the correct number.

The Gary/Vyxsin collaboration might be similiar to the Justin/Jen deal........after they had already checked in with correct milage and were looking for the castle........I just need to find that location and see.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:55:18 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #633 on: April 25, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
I think so too.  I just re-watched.  Justin & Jen helped each other, then they helped Herb.  I think Gary helped Vxysin with the map and I think he had the number right but Herb confirmed it.  Although they didn't show it, I think Gary helped Jet with the map and then Gary fell in behind Jet who then took off but he was so far off that he had to redo it.  LOL   He should have thrown out the 17.5 and taken Gary's 10.75 at that gas station and went from there.

Sorry, wasn't sure how to do the quote thing in the box.

Actually, I agree with a poster on another forum, that Jet did actually use Gary's number at the end of the RB but screwed up the calculation.  He already knew he'd made mistakes when he saw Gary at the gas station; since he was possibly off by more than 6 km, he knew he'd have to go a long way back from the gas station to try again.  Using Gary's info made sense, especially since Gary was willing to help.  I also think he might have stuck with Gary to get past another tricky navigation, and that's when he went on ahead.  So I don't think the Cowboy's game was any "fairer" than anyone else. They all got help at some point on the RB.

Also agree that Gary probably was already on track with the correct final number, and Flight Time's info basically just confirmed it.

IMO, Jet basically shot himself in the foot (sorry, couldn't resist!).  The cowboys had two big flaws that came into play in this RB - not so great navigational skills, and too much of the lone ranger attitude.  Don't mean they should have been friendly with the other teams to get info (though again, Gary was willing to help), but that they should have paid attention to keeping other teams in sight.  If Jet had stuck with Gary, at least he'd know that they'd both have to go back to the start if their final number was wrong.  The cowboys were so good generally at smoking the tasks, the chance of them blasting through a Detour ahead of Gary and Mallory was pretty good (especially, as it turned out, Gary had trouble getting going on the luggage task).  Instead, Jet was the only one who had to go all the way back to the start, and it cost them.   

Not sure the info sharing bothered me, maybe because I feel the teams have been working hard through all these legs.  The possible exception is Flight Time; had the impression once he realized he was screwed up, he just coasted looking for someone to tell him the correct answer.  The other teams used help, but seemed to put in a good effort.  I guess at least Flight Time paid it forward by offering the info to Gary...

Have lurked for a while...really enjoy reading the forums - you guys are incredible at figuring things out!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #634 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »
I should have been on top of this when Peach first put the name out in the open, but better late than never. "Restaurant Moos"is at the bottom of the Gornergrat mountain with view of the Matterhorn from the adjacent apartment. Cabs cannot stop right in front of the house. The apartment offers a beautiful view of the Matterhorn mountain. Restaurant Moos is in the district of Moos 2 km from the center of Zermatt, bus stop "Wichje" 700 m, railway station "Kleines Matterhorn" 1 km, free Ski bus stop 700 m, (that may have been the conveyance we saw in last night's telecast).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #635 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
Teams took electic taxis to the Pitstop.

This is their website, lovely pano pics!

http://bergrestaurant-moos.ch/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #636 on: April 25, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »

IMO, Jet basically shot himself in the foot (sorry, couldn't resist!).  The cowboys had two big flaws that came into play in this RB - not so great navigational skills, and too much of the lone ranger attitude.  Don't mean they should have been friendly with the other teams to get info (though again, Gary was willing to help), but that they should have paid attention to keeping other teams in sight.  If Jet had stuck with Gary, at least he'd know that they'd both have to go back to the start if their final number was wrong.  The cowboys were so good generally at smoking the tasks, the chance of them blasting through a Detour ahead of Gary and Mallory was pretty good (especially, as it turned out, Gary had trouble getting going on the luggage task).  Instead, Jet was the only one who had to go all the way back to the start, and it cost them.   

:bigwelcome to RFF! That is exactly what I have always thought about the cowboys. So good at tasks most of the time but they have those glaring flaws that make it hard for them to keep up. It's sad because they are a fun team to watch and have many good qualities.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline milanissimo

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #637 on: April 25, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Finally a Great episode.. :yess:
There were ....everything...
Drama,good tasks  :tup: ,trains,taxi,bus....double u-turn...good locations ,sensational  development......

Probably the  best episode of this season...

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #638 on: April 25, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »

I think so too.  I just re-watched.  Justin & Jen helped each other, then they helped Herb.  I think Gary helped Vxysin with the map and I think he had the number right but Herb confirmed it.  Although they didn't show it, I think Gary helped Jet with the map and then Gary fell in behind Jet who then took off but he was so far off that he had to redo it.  LOL :groan:  He should have thrown out the 17.5 and taken Gary's 10.75 at that gas station and went from there. 

Jet's incorrect answer was 35 km. Even if he'd subtracted 6.75 km from that in order to match Gary's calculation, he would've gotten 28.25, which would've still been wrong.  :duno:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #639 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »
Jet's incorrect answer was 35 km. Even if he'd subtracted 6.75 km from that in order to match Gary's calculation, he would've gotten 28.25, which would've still been wrong.  :duno:

What Noisack's point (quoted from TWoP) is that Jet got 28km on his odometer, but added 6km instead of subtracting it to get an (even more) incorrect answer.

Offline bentjen

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #640 on: April 25, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
I wondered too about Jet's weird answer of 35 km.  If he somehow got confused and thought the 22 (which he might have gotten from Gary's mention) was in MILES, then maybe he tried to convert that into KILOMETERS by multiplying by 1.6, which would have indeed left him at 35.

22 x 1.6 =35

I hope that we can hear from the cowboys what went wrong.

Also, they may not have appreciated the U-Turn by Herb and Nate, but let's be realistic.  Those GT boys have had numerous challenges finding pits tops in general (they were ahead of Zev and Justin last week and still ended up arriving about 15 minutes later and missed out on getting the cars).  They may have only been minutes ahead of the cowboys and trying to navigate in the dark.

And personally, I don't think any of the remaining teams will have a problem with it, since many expressed concern on how well the Cowboys race. I don't think any of the remaining teams is really scared of the GTs winning it all.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #641 on: April 25, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
:welcome2: to RFF, bentjen and all other new members!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #642 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
Would Jet really know how to convert kilometers into miles. Just sayn' I don't know that, and I'm not sure how many people would actually know that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #643 on: April 25, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Multiply by 0.6 for a close estimate.

But the odometer and the results were in km.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #644 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Finally a Great episode.. :yess:
There were ....everything...
Drama,good tasks  :tup: ,trains,taxi,bus....double u-turn...good locations ,sensational  development......

Probably the  best episode of this season...

you're right, this episode was great, except the elimination.

This season more than makes up for the extremely mediocre 17th season
Bring on the 21!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #645 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
After watching the RB a few more times, only a few things are clearer:
  • FT makes his wrong turn in central Schaan (the Restaurant Central can be seen in the background). This may account for the north-bound caps.
  • I am certain of only Justin having the correct answer (but I need new ears: I would swear he says "forty-two kilometers"). Jen and Gary might have had the correct answers, but we'll never know because of the editing.
  • The answers Jet and Vyxsin provided were written in the same hand.  :snicker:

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #646 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I think so too.  I just re-watched.  Justin & Jen helped each other, then they helped Herb.  I think Gary helped Vxysin with the map and I think he had the number right but Herb confirmed it.  Although they didn't show it, I think Gary helped Jet with the map and then Gary fell in behind Jet who then took off but he was so far off that he had to redo it.  LOL   He should have thrown out the 17.5 and taken Gary's 10.75 at that gas station and went from there.

Sorry, wasn't sure how to do the quote thing in the box.

Actually, I agree with a poster on another forum, that Jet did actually use Gary's number at the end of the RB but screwed up the calculation.  He already knew he'd made mistakes when he saw Gary at the gas station; since he was possibly off by more than 6 km, he knew he'd have to go a long way back from the gas station to try again.  Using Gary's info made sense, especially since Gary was willing to help.  I also think he might have stuck with Gary to get past another tricky navigation, and that's when he went on ahead.  So I don't think the Cowboy's game was any "fairer" than anyone else. They all got help at some point on the RB.

Also agree that Gary probably was already on track with the correct final number, and Flight Time's info basically just confirmed it.

IMO, Jet basically shot himself in the foot (sorry, couldn't resist!).  The cowboys had two big flaws that came into play in this RB - not so great navigational skills, and too much of the lone ranger attitude.  Don't mean they should have been friendly with the other teams to get info (though again, Gary was willing to help), but that they should have paid attention to keeping other teams in sight.  If Jet had stuck with Gary, at least he'd know that they'd both have to go back to the start if their final number was wrong.  The cowboys were so good generally at smoking the tasks, the chance of them blasting through a Detour ahead of Gary and Mallory was pretty good (especially, as it turned out, Gary had trouble getting going on the luggage task).  Instead, Jet was the only one who had to go all the way back to the start, and it cost them.  

Not sure the info sharing bothered me, maybe because I feel the teams have been working hard through all these legs.  The possible exception is Flight Time; had the impression once he realized he was screwed up, he just coasted looking for someone to tell him the correct answer.  The other teams used help, but seemed to put in a good effort.  I guess at least Flight Time paid it forward by offering the info to Gary...

Have lurked for a while...really enjoy reading the forums - you guys are incredible at figuring things out!

good point, probably Jet is over confident.  He thought Gary was last place in the last leg, He didn't really want to team up with him. That kind of mindset cost them. But he should remember at task like this, it is very easy to screw up and you don't want to do it again.

But a second thought, who would think everyone else confirms their number before hand it over?
I could only say, Jet plays by the rule in a silly and normal way while others play in a smart, astute and realistic way.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:25:33 PM by GeKKou »

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #647 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
one thing i'm confused is,

if Jet got the wrong number, why didn't he just think for a while and try to figure out the right answer before redo the whole task?

Probably, he thought it was the rule, you have to redo it.

If the rule is that strict, odometer should play its role. Because if one is not allowed to figure out the right number after the task, then he shouldn't be allowed to confirm the answer before the task as well.

Let's suppose, Jet got the wrong number, then he figured for a while , he did some substraction and addition. Then he got the right number, do you think he still need to go back and redo the task?  Or, if Jet finds someone to ask for the right number, would he have to redo the task?
The rule is really there to trick people. Jet thought at least one other team would get the wrong answer.

The situation is really like a maths test, while everyone else is checking and confirming their answers before they submit the test paper and one student doesn't check and he gets the wrong answer and he has to redo the test.

I really hate those who design leg9.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:29:37 PM by GeKKou »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #648 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »
Here is his tally, taken from a cap at the border crossing. I can't make any sense of it. ???

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #649 on: April 25, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
one thing i'm confused is,

if Jet got the wrong number, why didn't he just think for a while and try to figure out the right answer before redo the whole task?

Probably, he thought it was the rule, you have to redo it.

If the rule is that strict, odometer should play its role. Because if one is not allowed to figure out the right number after the task, then he shouldn't be allowed to confirm the answer before the task as well.

Let's suppose, Jet got the wrong number, then he figured for a while , he did some substraction and addition. Then he got the right number, do you think he still need to go back and redo the task?  Or, if Jet finds someone to ask for the right number, would he have to redo the task?
The rule is really there to trick people. Jet thought at least one other team would get the wrong answer.

The situation is really like a maths test, while everyone else is checking and confirming their answers before they submit the test paper and one student doesn't check and he gets the wrong answer and he has to redo the test.

I really hate those who design leg9.

Going by Phil's description of the task, racers did have to go back and redo the task if they got it wrong, but this is not a new rule. I distinctly remember Don saying of the counting Detour in THAT Sweden leg of TAR 6. "What if I just keep saying numbers and get the right one?"

Turns out that didn't work for him.